PDA

View Full Version : Who Should Take Over Next Year?

CrespoBlows
07-22-2004, 09:53 PM
As everyone is pointing out, the Sox are doomed, and wont make the playoffs. (I think we will) Most of us are pointing at Francona as the problem, he will probably get fired if he doesnt make the World Series. So who takes over? Thoughts? Suggestions?

I made a short list on who

1. Bud Black
2. Jerry Remy
3. Mike Hargove
4. Don Zimmer (if we can talk him into it, forget that he charged Pedro this man knows how to manage a team)

Old Hoss
07-23-2004, 12:04 AM
I think Francona will get at least two years before he is fired. Not saying I agree with it, just don't think he'll be fired until some of this free agent stuff gets resolved.

One guy I've always been a fan of is Rick Burleson. He's a hard nosed guy, a former player and I don't see him being quite so coddling as Francona or Little.

I love Jerry Remy but he isn't going anywhere except maybe to a bigger TV job. The guy is living his life as one of the most popular guys in Boston sports; why would he jeopardize all that?

Mike Hargrove is a stiff and the game of baseball has passed Don Zimmer by. Zim is a great guy but he's 73 years old and wants to spend his money at the race track and talk about the good old days.

Sizzlin22
07-23-2004, 12:06 PM
Personally I wanted Black to get the job to begin with I would love Remy to get the job but we all know that's not happening.

CrespoBlows
07-23-2004, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Old Hoss@Jul 23 2004, 12:04 AM
One guy I've always been a fan of is Rick Burleson. He's a hard nosed guy, a former player and I don't see him being quite so coddling as Francona or Little.

That's a good pick, where is Burleson now?

elsrbueno
07-23-2004, 12:43 PM
Ya know, I've always liked Lou Piniella. It seems he always gets more out of his players than other people. Look at how Seattle slowly declined without him....Look at how well Tampa Bay is doing now....

I realize he'll probably never come to Boston (because he left Seattle to go home to Tampa) but someone like him would be great.

Also Bobby Cox in Atlanta does a terrific job. His team now has a fraction of the talent it used to have, and they're still contending. His team flat-out dominated in the 90s. They didn't have a lot of post-season success....but is that Bobby's fault? It seems that club just didn't quite have all the pieces for a championship run. The bullpen and bench were always suspect, and they never had a dominant lineup.

I think Jerry Remy will stay as broadcaster. He's popular now, which he loves, but how long would he be popular as manager in Boston?

One guy, from New England, who played his heart out for Boston was Carlton Fisk. As a catcher in his playing days, he was sort of the on-field coach (as most catchers become). This was an idea I thought of a few months ago, and I think Fisk could inject some heart onto an MLB team. Thoughts?

CrespoBlows
07-23-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Jul 23 2004, 12:43 PM
One guy, from New England, who played his heart out for Boston was Carlton Fisk. As a catcher in his playing days, he was sort of the on-field coach (as most catchers become). This was an idea I thought of a few months ago, and I think Fisk could inject some heart onto an MLB team. Thoughts?
Fisk would be a good selection, the Sox should let him manage a minor league team so he could eventually take over. Kinda like the Phillies are doing with Mike Schmidt

schillingouttheks
07-23-2004, 03:13 PM
anyone ever thought of calling into extra innings and thought about explaining our thoughts?

Old Hoss
07-24-2004, 12:47 AM
Burleson is managing in the minor leagues, Fisk isn't. I chose a guy who has a realistic shot at the job, not somebody who has no experience managing at all but happens to be likeable.

Sizzlin22
07-24-2004, 01:54 PM
Didn't Pinella get traded to the D rays?

Old Hoss
07-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Fuck Piniella; he's a former Yankee and former Yankees can never be trusted in my book. He would manage the Red Sox and take money from Shitbrenner at the same time to undermine the Sox...........same as the umpires do now.