Best Defensive Catcher Kelly Shoppach
Best Defensive Infielder Dustin Pedroia
Best Infield Arm Andrew Pinckney
Best Defensive Outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury
Best Outfield Arm Willy Mota

RedSoxRooter
01-06-2006, 12:23 AM
Cool. What strikes me...

Lester has no "Best Tools" and is ahead of Pap?
Lester and Papelbon are behind Marte. What did we get again? Would Hanley be ahead of Papelbon or Lester if he were still here?
Who the hell is Randy Beam?

AlexanderTheGreat13
01-06-2006, 12:44 AM
The tools are prob so close that they put Lester ahead on the list because hes left handed.

jsinger121
01-06-2006, 12:56 AM
here is the scouting report on beam

Tall lefty who has impressed quite a few scouts early in his pro career. His arsenal includes a mid-to-high-80s fastball, a slurve curveball and a very good changeup. Beam has closed since being drafted by Boston, but he is also especially adept at getting out left-handed hitters.

example1
01-06-2006, 05:41 AM
Ya know what impresses me? How about Pedroia:
Best Average
Best discipline
Best Inf Defense.

This guy really has the potential to be something special. As does Ellsbury who was drafted AHEAD of Hansen--which should say something about his skill set: fastest, best athlete and best defensive OF.

Cityofchampions33
01-06-2006, 06:23 AM
Yes, i can't wait for them to reach the Mjors. We gain in speed, defense, and Pedroia's hitting for average. Buchholz has now cracked our top 10 i guess, he's pretty solid but no Lester/papelbon just yet.

riverside sluggers
01-06-2006, 06:48 AM
it shouldve been added that Papelbon has induced the best splitter of the crop

Beckett95
01-06-2006, 06:49 AM
How does Soto have more power than Marte?? I know soto is supposed to have some good power like 30-35 hr, but marte is supposed to be a 40+ hr guy.

jsinger121
01-06-2006, 08:13 AM
i was surprised as well that marte didn't have the best power....maybe its a good sign that soto can also become a power hitter like marte.

guapo34
01-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Ellsbury got picked in front of Hansen because there were only 2 teams picking between our picks and it was pretty obvious neither would pay the price for Hansen but Ellsbury could've gone off the board and we wouldn't get both.

gosox613
01-06-2006, 02:40 PM
Ya know what impresses me? How about Pedroia:
Best Average
Best discipline
Best Inf Defense.

This guy really has the potential to be something special. As does Ellsbury who was drafted AHEAD of Hansen--which should say something about his skill set: fastest, best athlete and best defensive OF.
Yea pedroia RULES. i met him at a seadogs game last year. i was the only one who knew who he was and i was calling for him and he ended up signging an autograph for me but none of the others waiting for one, a day later, he was upgraded to aaa....

riverside sluggers
01-06-2006, 03:52 PM
Sox monitoring Marte's progress
Star prospect spending winter in Dominican with Azucareros
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

The Red Sox are monitoring recently acquired prospect Andy Marte with a great deal of interest, and with good reason. Marte, one of the most promising young corner players in the game, could wind up being a big part of the team's future. The third baseman is spending his winter playing for Azucareros of the Dominican League. Don't read too much into the slow start (.226, 12 runs, 26 hits, five doubles, two homers and nine RBIs) Marte had at the plate.

"It's a tough league, especially when you are not in the lineup everyday, but he has responded pretty well," said Red Sox co-general manager Ben Cherington. In fact, Craig Shipley, special assistant to the general manager for the Red Sox, met personally with Marte recently in the Dominican and came back with a solid report. "Pretty positive overall," said Cherington. "He has plus-power and controls the strike zone well."

At the time the Red Sox made the trade for Marte -- sending Edgar Renteria to the Braves on Dec. 8 -- there was talk that there could be a position switch in the works if it would help the Minor Leaguer get to the Major Leagues in quicker fashion. After all, the Red Sox already have a starter at third base in Mike Lowell. However, Cherington said that Marte, who was recently named the club's top prospect by Baseball America, is sticking at third for now. He is expected to begin the season at Triple-A Pawtucket, though matters like that are always subject to change.

In early playoff action, Marte produced two hits in his first five at-bats for Azucareros. As for other Red Sox Minor Leaguers staying active this winter, Cherington has been impressed by the work of Edgar Martinez, who began his career as a catcher but was converted to a pitcher on Aug. 3, 2004. "Edgar Martinez continues to progress well as a pitcher," Cherington said. "His numbers are solid this winter, not spectacular, but for a guy 16 months into his pitching career, to be competing at that level is a great sign." Pitching for Pastora of the Venezuelan League, Martinez went 1-1 with a 4.76 ERA in 15 relief appearances, striking out 14 batters over 17 innings.

Left-hander Mike Bumatay has provided solid work out of the bullpen for Aragua (Venezuela), registering a 3.38 ERA over 32 games. In Puerto Rico, third baseman Raul Nieves is hitting .227 with no homers and five RBIs in 97 at-bats.

Watch for Martinez, he could have a call up this coming season.

jsinger121
01-06-2006, 06:26 PM
they changed who had the most power from soto to marte today on BA

CrespoBlows
01-08-2006, 08:32 PM
How does Soto have more power than Marte?? I know soto is supposed to have some good power like 30-35 hr, but marte is supposed to be a 40+ hr guy.

It's really a toss up. Soto's swing is so perfect, that the Red Sox have ordered no one to tamper with it. He should signs of a breakout this year, and was invited to the Single A homerun derby.

Beckett95
01-09-2006, 04:39 PM
hopefully Soto can turn into a 35-40 hr guy.

Scouting Report: According to Director of former International Scouting Louie Eljaua, "Luis brings a special blend of talent and instincts every time he steps on the field. He has an advanced hitting approach at the plate for someone his age, and he is very athletic with above-average arm strength." Soto's swing is nearly flawless. High ceiling at the plate. Great speed and excellent in the field. Converted to an outfielder in the spring of 2005.

Marte was also listed as Atlanta's top propsect for 2006.

Cityofchampions33
01-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Moss, Ellsbury, and Soto starting with Murhpy as our 4th would make a great future Outfield. Two power guys, and above average backup, and an essential Johnny Damon (plus a better arm) in CF. Combined with Marte we should have a nasty middle of the order if they all come through.

KeepTheFaith1229
01-09-2006, 09:24 PM
Where is the Sox farm system ranked among the MLB?

jsinger121
01-09-2006, 10:48 PM
I think Jim Callis said it would be in the top 10 in MLB. He said had they not traded Hanley and Sanchez but still add marte then they would have been top 5.

ahhchon
01-09-2006, 10:57 PM

marte's upside is eric shavez.... basically 30-35 hr's a year.. more important is the high OBP...

john

Plumpamania
01-10-2006, 02:08 AM
marte's upside is eric shavez.... basically 30-35 hr's a year.. more important is the high OBP...

john

I've heard Marte more compared to David Wright, which I'd also take :thumbsup:

jsinger121
01-10-2006, 08:04 AM
I have also heard him compared to miguel cabrera as well even though cabrera was already in the majors at marte's age of 22.

BoSox Rule
01-10-2006, 03:49 PM
i was surprised as well that marte didn't have the best power....maybe its a good sign that soto can also become a power hitter like marte.He does have the best power. The list with Soto was completed before the Marte trade and wasn't updated.

Beckett95
01-10-2006, 04:20 PM
I have also heard him compared to miguel cabrera as well even though cabrera was already in the majors at marte's age of 22.
Ive heard him being comapred to Cabrera also but thats wishful thinking.
i think he'll be able to put up Morgan Ensberg's 2005 stats consistently. hit around .280 with a .385 obp, around 35 hrs and 125 rbi.

Scouting Report: Blue chip third base prospect with all star potential. Excellent power (40 HR potential), drives the ball well to all fields. Above average fielder. Great plate discipline. Below average speed on the basepaths.

Plumpamania
01-11-2006, 11:51 AM
Ive heard him being comapred to Cabrera also but thats wishful thinking.
i think he'll be able to put up Morgan Ensberg's 2005 stats consistently. hit around .280 with a .385 obp, around 35 hrs and 125 rbi.

Damn he'll be slacking then...:dunno:

Redguitar985
01-11-2006, 01:45 PM
I think Jim Callis said it would be in the top 10 in MLB. He said had they not traded Hanley and Sanchez but still add marte then they would have been top 5.

That's awesome. And I'm sure the Yankees and the Mets are at the very bottom of the list.

guapo34
01-11-2006, 08:14 PM
In a chat on espn.com today Callis said the Yankees are ranked 16th in his book this year. The mets traded some good young talent this offseason for delgado, but they still have milledge in their farm system and just signed their first round pick, Mike Pellfrey. They're probably in the middle of the pack as well.

Cityofchampions33
01-11-2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah the Yankees aren't as bad as they're made out to be, but they're still not wicked good. No blue chip prospects like we have besids Cano (not sold on Wang). If they actually think of the future when they draft they could moe up with one solid draft.

CrespoBlows
01-15-2006, 02:11 PM
Moss, Ellsbury, and Soto starting with Murhpy as our 4th would make a great future Outfield. Two power guys, and above average backup, and an essential Johnny Damon (plus a better arm) in CF. Combined with Marte we should have a nasty middle of the order if they all come through.

Not sold on Moss. He didn't do anything fantastic in AA ball to show that he belongs as a starting left fielder. He's young, but right now he's just a fourth outfielder.

I'm more sold on Murphy who has a terrific glove, and hit about the same clip as Moss did. If Murphy can swat 20 HR's this year, then he should be our starting RF when Nixon leaves.

seabeachfred
03-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Hey "E", Pedroia and Ellsbury are two players the Red Sox had better never never never trade away for any one. These two players are going to make millions of Red Sox fans grin from ear to ear. They both can hit, run, field, and have the strong work ethic t hat makes for an outstanding player. If we don 't blow it we have these guys for a long time.

jsinger121
03-01-2006, 09:51 PM
they will only trade them if they get good value in return. granted the red sox are high on both. pedroia is close enough where they likely will not trade him. ellsbury is alittle farther away but is very promising. with prospects you never can say a team will not trade them but it would be nice to hold onto these guys.

SchillingIsTheNatural
03-01-2006, 10:52 PM
they will only trade them if they get good value in return. granted the red sox are high on both. pedroia is close enough where they likely will not trade him. ellsbury is alittle farther away but is very promising. with prospects you never can say a team will not trade them but it would be nice to hold onto these guys.

As far as Ellsbury he has a chance to be a fantastic leadoff hitter. I think Coco is an excellent player but I'm not sold that he is a great leadoff guy. In the future I wouldn't be suprised to see Coco move over to left or right field and Ellsbury taking over in the middle.

seabeachfred
03-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Schill, Ellsbury is one outstanding young player. He can hit, field, run, throw, has a terrific attitude and has a work ethic that is beyond question. I saw this guy during his college career and he is the real deal. No way the Red Sox can afford to lose this guy; he is that good. I wouldn't be surprised if he jumps two classifications and winds up with the Red Sox late in '07 or 2008 at the latest.

Beckett95
03-06-2006, 07:57 PM
rotoworld top 150 list (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.asp?sport=MLB&column=14&articleid=20101) has 5 sox on it

23. Dustin Pedroia
27. Jon Lester
37. Jon Papelbon
42. Craig Hansen
138. Jacoby Ellsbury

kind of surprised Pedroia was so high.

Also on the list...

5. Andy Marte
39. Hanley Ramirez
52. Anibal Sanchez
140. Kelly Shoppach