PDA

View Full Version : Nixon To Be Activated Wednesday

CalvnHobs6
06-13-2004, 10:28 PM
Nixon to join Sox on road trip
Slugger likely to be activated for Wednesday's game
By Ian Browne / MLB.com

BOSTON -- The good news keeps flowing out of Fenway Park. Just four days after Nomar Garciaparra was activated from the disabled list, the Red Sox announced that right fielder Trot Nixon will accompany the team to Colorado following Sunday night's game against the Dodgers.
The Sox open a three-game series at Coors Field on Tuesday night, and are poised to activate Nixon prior to Wednesday's game.

With left-hander Joe Kennedy pitching for the Rockies on Tuesday, the Sox -- who also want to keep 12 pitchers for the series opener -- think it is in their best interest to wait until Wednesday to bring Nixon back.

Nixon completed his four-game rehab assignment for Triple-A Pawtucket on Sunday afternoon, going 1-for-5 from the leadoff spot. He drove up to Fenway following that game, and was then cleared by the Sox to go on the road trip.

"I think I am going to be activated on Wednesday," Nixon said. "I feel real good. My quad responded real well today. Four days in a row, I think it responded a lot better than I thought it was going to."

The right fielder was originally sidelined in Spring Training with a herniated disc. Once he got over that injury and began playing in extended Spring Training games, Nixon suffered a strained left quad.

It took Nixon five weeks to kick that injury, but now he is raring to re-join the team he's been a core member of since 1999.

"I'm very eager," said Nixon. "I just need to go out and have good at-bats and play good defense and the rest should take care of itself."

Aside from his sturdy bat, reliable glove and aggressive style of play, Nixon is also one of the most respected members of the clubhouse. The Sox are ecstatic that he is nearing his return to the lineup.

"He gets on base, he hits for power, he's a clubhouse leader, he plays the game the right way," said Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein. "He can't help but make the team better. We're getting pretty darn close to fielding the roster we thought we were going to field coming into the season."

Once third baseman Bill Mueller returns from right knee surgery -- which is expected to be in July -- the Sox will have their full complement of everyday players for the first time this season.

Nixon had arguably the best season of his career in 2003, hitting .306 with 28 doubles, 87 RBIs and a .578 slugging percentage. Many of his home runs were clutch, including the ninth-inning grand slam in Philadelphia on Labor Day, and the walkoff blast in the 11th inning in Game 3 of the Division Series against Oakland.

The Sox signed Nixon to a three-year contract extension in February.

In his brief stint at Pawtucket, Nixon hit .286 (4-for-14) with one double, two RBIs and two strikeouts.

"I felt good at the plate, but it's a matter of getting back into the swing of things at the big-league level," he said.

The big thing for Nixon is that he feels healthy again.

"I haven't had any problems with my leg," Nixon said. "I haven't been sore the days after [games]. My quad responded well today working out early. Running the bases it felt real well. And my back has been fine, so it's right where I want to be from a health standpoint."

Oh the sweet, sweet smell of offensive power.

TheFens
06-14-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't really like him joining the team while they're away from Fenway, but I guess the earlier the better. It can't hurt us to have better players in the lineup I guess.

Also, he should take advantage of the mile-high air to get his timing back and maybe get some quality hits before coming home and helping us for the rest of the season. It'll be good to see this team at near-full strength again.

JMDurron
06-14-2004, 03:27 PM
We need Nixon over Kapler/Millar for playing with a DH. This is the best possible time we could get him back...aside from a month earlier, of course. :D

Tek04
06-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Im glad trot is coming back, he means a lot to this team, him and varitek are the heart and soul of the sox

Pedro
06-15-2004, 06:22 PM
Well it's about time. Here's to a healthy stretch run! B)

yagmaster
06-16-2004, 09:19 PM
First game back, hits a Homerun. Very impressive.

yawkeyway
06-16-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by yagmaster@Jun 16 2004, 10:19 PM
First game back, hits a Homerun. Very impressive.
He makes his presence felt immediately. This is what the sox have been missing all season long. B) I'm quite content at this point, despite the tanking Schilling.

Zenny
06-16-2004, 09:27 PM
I love Trot. Dirt Dog for life.

roary
06-16-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Zenny@Jun 16 2004, 10:27 PM
And for president as well, judging by your avatar. :D

Zenny
06-16-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by roary+Jun 16 2004, 09:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (roary &#064; Jun 16 2004, 09:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Zenny@Jun 16 2004, 10:27 PM
And for president as well, judging by your avatar. :D [/b][/quote]
:lol: Yeah, I just saw it on bostondirtdogs.com and I had to use it. He&#39;s just the man, what else can I say?