PDA

View Full Version : The 5th starter debate

yeszir
03-05-2005, 10:53 AM
Assuming all of our pitchers are healthy at once (an unlikely scenario), this would leave us with 6 top-notch starters. Schilling, Wells, Clement, Miller, Wakefield, Arroyo. The battle for number 5 will come down to the last two, both beloved by the fans for what they have done for the team.

But only one can be the 5th starter if this entire devastating rotation is active. Right now I'd be forced to pick Cornroyo over Wake. He showed flashes of brilliance last year (especially against A-Rod :D), and I expect him to be able to improve this year. Wake has always been the cork for the sox. He can plug anything, anywhere, anytime, which is why he's always been perfect for long relief.

Sox fan in Tex
03-05-2005, 11:20 AM
I'd probably go with Arroyo also...Wake's ERA has been up these past couple of years (not that Arroyo's hasn't) and I think Bronson will pull through for us this year.

jlcrss9
03-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Definiately Arroyo. Wakefield is getting old, despite being a knuckleballer, and I'm not as confident in his abilities anymore. But whatever they choose I feel it will still be good for the team.

Yanksin2010
03-05-2005, 12:52 PM
Probably arroyo. Wakefield got lit up by every team not named the yankees.

YanksHater213
03-05-2005, 01:32 PM
I would have to go with Bronson as well... hopefully he can emerge onto the MLB scene and become one of the top pitchers sometime soon.

BoSox Rule
03-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Anybody who says Wakefield is wrong.

RedSoxRooter
03-05-2005, 01:54 PM
Wakefield.

yeszir
03-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Anybody who says Wakefield is wrong.
That's one way of firmly stating your beliefs.

element1151
03-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Arroyo all the way.

stocker323
03-05-2005, 02:59 PM
Globe has an article today saying that Bronson could be the odd man out.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2005/03/05/arroyo_may_wind_up_as_the_odd_man_out/

Sizzlin22
03-05-2005, 03:30 PM
I say if Wake wants to go he's been with us his whole tenure and done a lot for us if he wants to if he says he's fine in the pen put him in the pen.

BoSox Rule
03-05-2005, 03:33 PM
Way to go. Let's leave these numbers out of our rotation

121 ERA+ for the season - 9th in the AL
7-2 3.97 ERA after the break
2.37 BB/9 - 10th in the AL
10.98 BR/9 and a 1.22 WHIP - 6th in the AL
8.61 H/9 - 10th in the AL

RedSoxRooter
03-05-2005, 06:39 PM
I'll take Wake's average 14 wins a year (as a starter) right now in the #5 spot. Arroyo will have his day. With the players we have, and their skills/age, Arroyo will be in the pen.

BoSox Rule
03-05-2005, 06:53 PM
I'll take Wake's average 14 wins a year (as a starter) right now in the #5 spot. Arroyo will have his day. With the players we have, and their skills/age, Arroyo will be in the pen. Wins?

I'll take those numbers I already showed. It's not contest. Arroyo is much better, Wakfield is a washed-up starter at this point.

Sizzlin22
03-05-2005, 09:42 PM
I put Wkae in the Pen and if we need a starter he's there he's so unbelieveably versatile i wouldput him in the pen.

BigPapiEnFuego
03-06-2005, 02:29 AM
i got with Arroyo. Jusat for the simple fact that having a guy who throws a 58 MPH moving ball come in after pictchers who throw 85-95 MPH can be confusing and down right deadly.

techsoldaten
03-07-2005, 06:17 AM
Hrmph. None of you guys are even thinking about the man from Japan.

I predict Byung-Hole... er, I mean Byung-Hyun Kim is going to have a breakout year. He's a former all-star who is capable of dominating hitters. Word is he's got his health back and is on the road to regaining his skills from when he was with the Diamondbacks (and let's remember, that was 2 years ago). Mixed in with the rest he's received while recouperating and I think we will see a lot more of him then we expected this year.

Domi arigato.

M

ahhchon
03-07-2005, 09:39 AM
well we are not expecting the man from japan because he's not from japan. as of today kim still wears a sox jersey. why must you fools bash the guy. he's an excellent pitcher that is too good to just go stale. i've been predicting that one day, whether with the sox or not he's going to be good again. 97 mph sidearm? i loved watching him pitch.

BUT unless he's absolutely amazing in the pen and the 5th one bites he won't start. i just don't see it happening. IF IF IF everyone is healthy we have a great pitching staff. only schilling and foulke are "superstars" but the rest are very solid players and that's what wins championships.

healthy kim and mantei with a consistant wakefield, timlim and embree with foulke closing? talk about pressure off our starters.

john

BigPapiEnFuego
03-08-2005, 03:56 PM
i think Kim may just get traded after spring training, whether he has a good one or not. I liked him his first year, but then i realized that he just couldn't get leftys out.

westcoastjagoff
03-08-2005, 08:54 PM
Arroyo has the live arm. Wakefield has come out of the pen before and been effective. Arroyo is ready, he seen some action, and he not afraid to come in on somebody. Plus we need a little youth on the starting staff. I think he's good for 14 to 15 wins this year but he won't take you very far in the game. I don't think we'll see to many (if any) complete games though (he's not a horse like Schill)

RedSoxFox7
03-28-2005, 11:28 PM
Last I checked, Francona had already said Arroyo is very likely to be the guy in the pen once everyone is healthy. Tito actually said he'd rather keep Wakes as a starter because he's too old to be moving to middle/long relief.

It doesn't totally make sense, but if you look at it from the perspective of his typical routine, moving back to the pen could be like trying to teach an old dog new tricks.