PDA

View Full Version : Espn Says.....

yankeessuck013
12-29-2004, 11:12 AM
what exactly does this mean? I just saw it as a headline, is there anybody who has ESPN Insider that can give us some info on this?

schillingouttheks
12-29-2004, 11:46 AM
i think he means that there is still a deal in place with him and the yanks. lets remember, there was already a deal in place with AZ and NY before LA stepped in. the only conflict was money i think. this time theyre probably settling that aspect.

RedSoxRooter
12-29-2004, 11:51 AM
NY Daily News is reporting this article. It seems based on what RJ "told his friends"...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...2p-227984c.html (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/story/266212p-227984c.html)

Pair of offers for an Ace

The Yanks and D-Backs were finalizing a swap for Randy Johnson, with the sides spending yesterday discussing these two scenarios. The final deal could end up being a combination of both.

A: In one scenario, the Bombers send Javier Vazquez and Brad Halsey, and prospects Abel Gomez and Melky Cabrera to the D-Backs in exchange for Johnson. They'd also throw in about $12 million to offset the difference between Johnson's $16 million salary and the $35.5 million remaining on Vazquez's contract.

B: In the other possibility, the Yanks would send Vazquez and top prospects Eric Duncan and Dioner Navarro to Arizona for the Unit. In this instance, the Bombers would include significantly less cash - perhaps in the neighborhood of $5 million – because they'd be losing their two best minor leaguers.

schillingouttheks
12-29-2004, 12:01 PM
scenario B: they actually care about losing their prospects??

elsrbueno
12-29-2004, 01:36 PM
This news is not surprising.

Of course the Yankees don't care about losing prospects. When one of their players declines, they simply sign the best available option on the free agent market.

The problem is that Randy Johnson (apparently) will only go to the Yankees. As a result, Arizona doesn't get the trade that helps them the most, they get whatever the Yankees are willing to give up.

Cashman and Co are playing hardball because they know they're in the driver's seat.

Would the Yankees give up Vazquez, Duncan, Navarro, AND large amounts of cash if there was any competition for Randy? Absolutely. But since the Diamondbacks have no choice in the matter... why give up more than you have to?

stevece80
12-29-2004, 02:04 PM
Considering how much the Yankees have undervalued their farm system over the past few seasons, it's not a shock to see they've essentially placed a 7 million dollar price tag on Navarro and Duncan. Are they aware that while they're decent prospects to the rest of baseball, they're blue chippers by no means? So if every single prospect in baseball is thrown back into a draft, do Navarro and Duncan get a combined 7 million dollars in draft bonuses? No. 5th round picks are typically slotted at a much lower dollar amount than that.

Anyways, despite his troubles last season, I'd love to see the Red Sox work out a deal to get Vazquez once he's dealt. It would be amazing to see what he can do with the benefit of actually having a pitching coach that knows what he's doing, in Boston. Stottlemyre is so incompetent, the second Vazquez started having troubles after the ASB, he just went further and further down the toilet.

Soxfan#1
12-29-2004, 02:17 PM
There is no chance the redsox will get vazquez. Who made you change your avatar?

stevece80
12-29-2004, 02:35 PM
The head honcho did. Though my s/n, which is a reference to that giant wall out in left, was safe.

I disagree on Vazquez, unless you think it's due to an unwillingness to sell on the part of the DBacks. Vazquez was Theo's Holy Grail dating back to 2002 when he was assistant GM, and he's not the type to be turned off by a down half season.

elsrbueno
12-29-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by HumungousErection@Dec 29 2004, 02:35 PM
I disagree on Vazquez, unless you think it's due to an unwillingness to sell on the part of the DBacks. Vazquez was Theo's Holy Grail dating back to 2002 when he was assistant GM, and he's not the type to be turned off by a down half season.
I have heard that the Dbacks are still bitter because of what they got for Curt Schilling, and would be hesitant to deal with Boston.

However, I also heard that the Dbacks didn't want to deal with NY because they were bitter about Steinbrenner stealing Wells from them a few years back...

Both probably untrue.

It seems like the Diamondbacks aren't in love with the players they'd be getting from NY in this deal. When the 3-team deal was in place (with LA), Arizona wasn't getting ANY Yankees at all (Penny, Brazoban, and Green were all Dodgers). So, I wouldn't be surprised if Arizona shops Javy to yet another team.

Why not Boston? Well, they've already got 6 starters, that's one reason....

Not sure if Boston would be willing/able to meet Arizona's demands for Javy....

Soxfan#1
12-29-2004, 03:14 PM
If the traded arroyo it could work out but that would mean moving wake too the pen for good unless someone was too get injured.

12-29-2004, 04:16 PM
Yankees - 2005 World Champions

Soxfan#1
12-29-2004, 04:28 PM
2090 did you come through my link at yesboards?

12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
um, no.

yeszir
12-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by HumungousErection@Dec 29 2004, 02:35 PM
The head honcho did. Though my s/n, which is a reference to that giant wall out in left, was safe.

:D I picked up on the double entendre there, nicely done.

As for vazquez, I'm not entirely sure where he'd fit in, unless the deal included (as it most probably would) cornroyo. Imagine how deep that would make our rotation, we'd have too much pitching to know what to do with ourselves.

But I'd like to hang on to Arroyo, he can certainly develop into something more productive than Vazquez will be next year (I guess thats where Theo and I disagree?).

yankeessuck013
12-29-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by 2090@Dec 29 2004, 04:16 PM
thats what all the yankee fans were sayin in '04, and how did you guys do? I musta missed it! its not how many stars you have on a team its how their chemistry and how well they work together...its those guys like billy mueller, johnny damon, trot nixon, papi. The sox are full of role players.... thats why they succeeded this year

RedSoxRooter
12-29-2004, 06:06 PM
That's funny, but did any of us really expect 2090 to actually add anything to this conversation? I don't think so.

I mean, we're only talking about Randy Johnson and the Yankees... He's added nothing to any of the threads he's posted to so far, so why expect him to add anything in a thread devoted to his beloved losers, er, Yankees?

yankeessuck013
12-29-2004, 06:17 PM
"The Yankees feel Johnson will not waive his no-trade clause and will elect to stay put if th etrade is not a done deal by weeks end."

story (http://msn.foxsports.com/story/3281900)

*sorry my computer wouldnt let me quote <_<

12-29-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Dec 29 2004, 06:06 PM
That&#39;s funny, but did any of us really expect 2090 to actually add anything to this conversation? I don&#39;t think so.

I mean, we&#39;re only talking about Randy Johnson and the Yankees... He&#39;s added nothing to any of the threads he&#39;s posted to so far, so why expect him to add anything in a thread devoted to his beloved losers, er, Yankees?
haha 26 time losers ;)

stevece80
12-29-2004, 08:40 PM
The best part about the year 2090 is that you&#39;ll be dead.

Yanksin2010
12-29-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by 2090@Dec 29 2004, 04:16 PM
Are you crazy?

12-30-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by HumungousErection@Dec 29 2004, 08:40 PM
The best part about the year 2090 is that you&#39;ll be dead.
haha maybe, maybe not ;)

schillingouttheks
12-30-2004, 05:20 PM
i might be around, ill be 100.