PDA

View Full Version : Playoffs

Pages : 1 [2]

Bellhorn04
10-31-2023, 04:32 PM
Koufax was the story in the 1965 WS. He didn't start Game 1 because it conflicted with Yom Kippur. Instead he pitched Games 2, 5, and 7, pitching complete game shutouts in the last two.

notin
10-31-2023, 04:34 PM
Neither does thinking, or saying it’s true.

Oh I am well aware I only have a theory…

Bellhorn04
10-31-2023, 04:35 PM
1. Sponsorships and the related luxury suites, plus revenues from vasted expanded sports betting legalized by a 2018 U.S. Supreme Court decision

https://globalsportsinsights.com/

2. Who knows?

Also "partnerships" with various corporate enterprises. The Yankees are getting paid over $20 million a year to wear patches with the logo of Starr Insurance.

notin
10-31-2023, 04:37 PM
Which raises again the two-part question: where the heck is all the money in today's game coming from, and is the bubble going to eventually burst?

The really odd thing is, we look at MLB’s operating costs in terms of player salary, but those paychecks are absolutely dwarfed by what they make in the NBA. I’m wondering about that bubble, too…

notin
10-31-2023, 04:38 PM
Also "partnerships" with various corporate enterprises. The Yankees are getting paid over $20 million a year to wear patches with the logo of Starr Insurance.

But $20mill isn’t that much to an MLB franchise. What’s that get you these days? A #2 starting pitcher? Maybe a closer?

sk7326
10-31-2023, 04:54 PM
1. Sponsorships and the related luxury suites, plus revenues from vasted expanded sports betting legalized by a 2018 U.S. Supreme Court decision

https://globalsportsinsights.com/

2. Who knows?

The layoffs at ESPN seem to indicate that there might be an upper limit to TV money. But the streaming deals have barely been tapped into - particularly with how many you could do.

I mean right now MLB has by my count 5 different national TV deals (ESPN, FOX, TBS, Apple TV, Peacock). But the gambling thing is huh-yooge.

Old Red
10-31-2023, 04:59 PM
Koufax was the story in the 1965 WS. He didn't start Game 1 because it conflicted with Yom Kippur. Instead he pitched Games 2, 5, and 7, pitching complete game shutouts in the last two.

I remember the Yom Kipper saga with Koufax. Like I mentioned earlier the SP in those days like Koufax, Drysdale, and Gibby had as big a name as the sluggers. I became a Dodgers, and Cardinals fan in the early 60’s, because they played against the Yankees in the WS. Didn’t care so much for Gibson though in 67.

moonslav59
10-31-2023, 05:04 PM
But $20mill isn’t that much to an MLB franchise. What’s that get you these days? A #2 starting pitcher? Maybe a closer?

$20M is about 30% of the A's player salary budget.

It's about 1/3 of BAL's opening day player budget and 1/4th of AZ's.

notin
10-31-2023, 05:13 PM
The layoffs at ESPN seem to indicate that there might be an upper limit to TV money. But the streaming deals have barely been tapped into - particularly with how many you could do.

I mean right now MLB has by my count 5 different national TV deals (ESPN, FOX, TBS, Apple TV, Peacock). But the gambling thing is huh-yooge.

There are more revenue streams now limited to broadcasting, such as those logos superimposed on the mounds of televised games. Never saw that 25 years ago…

notin
10-31-2023, 05:16 PM

It also doesn’t get you Chris Bassitt…

moonslav59
10-31-2023, 05:26 PM
It also doesn’t get you Chris Bassitt…

It gets you Turner & Duvall (2023.)

jad
10-31-2023, 05:29 PM
And can you name one other show you skipped school to go watch?

I skipped work once in 1965 to watch the All-Star game. Does that count? (If you've ever worked in a shoe factory, you'll realize it was no great sacrifice.)

harmony
10-31-2023, 05:33 PM

$20 million is about .28 percent (roughly a quarter of 1 percent) of the New York Yankees' total reported value of $7.1 billion:

https://www.forbes.com/teams/new-york-yankees/?sh=716b44e44e6e

harmony
10-31-2023, 05:38 PM
There are more revenue streams now limited to broadcasting, such as those logos superimposed on the mounds of televised games. Never saw that 25 years ago…
Feel free to join your favorite Seattle Mariner fan in the study of sports business:

https://ecampus.oregonstate.edu/online-degrees/microcredentials/sports-business/

:):):)

notin
10-31-2023, 06:30 PM
It gets you Turner & Duvall (2023.)

Well, not really given Turner’s buyout…

illinoisredsox
10-31-2023, 07:19 PM
For me the World Series was a big deal starting when I was 9 years old in 1965. I liked the Dodgers because of Koufax and Drysdale. They beat the Twins in 7. I didn't skip school but I did rush home to watch the games.

For me it was the 1966 Series, when I had just turned 8. Orioles swept the Dodgers and for some reason, I have always remembered the scores of the games: in order, 5-2, 6-0, 1-0, 1-0.

vegasbob
10-31-2023, 08:45 PM
Well, Torey Lovullo , so much for the idea of a competitive bullpen game in the WS. Sounds like something Bloom would have backed into, but looks like Mike Hazen left you short a legit starter Some would still expand the leagues and the playoffs further ???

moonslav59
10-31-2023, 09:44 PM
Looks like the Rangers have this one wrapped up.

****THEYANKEES
10-31-2023, 10:11 PM
I remember sneaking a radio into school with an earplug.

i skipped school to watch a certain playoff game, Oct 2, 1978. that was the day my hate for the skankees started and continues to this day.

moonslav59
10-31-2023, 10:25 PM
i skipped school to watch a certain playoff game, Oct 2, 1978. that was the day my hate for the skankees started and continues to this day.

I was so much older then, I'm younger than that, now.

The trifecta of the '75, '78 and '86 losses broke my heart and soul.

The wins in '04, '07, '13 and '18 mended it all and brought the kid back in me.

****THEYANKEES
10-31-2023, 10:32 PM
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that, now.

The trifecta of the '75, '78 and '86 losses broke my heart and soul.

The wins in '04, '07, '13 and '18 mended it all and brought the kid back in me.

i remember the '75 series but it didn't hurt anything like '78. and yeah, Buckner's Blunder crushed my soul as well. 2004 was the Greatest Day Ever.

moonslav59
11-01-2023, 06:56 AM
i remember the '75 series but it didn't hurt anything like '78. and yeah, Buckner's Blunder crushed my soul as well. 2004 was the Greatest Day Ever.

I try to think of the play at 1B as a McNamara blunder. All season, he took Buckner out, late in games.

The game that counts the most, he got sentimental and "wanted Buckner on the field for the celebration."

Instead, he crushed Buck's reputation to many.

****THEYANKEES
11-01-2023, 08:02 AM
I try to think of the play at 1B as a McNamara blunder. All season, he took Buckner out, late in games.

The game that counts the most, he got sentimental and "wanted Buckner on the field for the celebration."

Instead, he crushed Buck's reputation to many.

i never held any animosity towards Buckner. it's a shame what the fans and media did to him. same with Donnie Moore of the Angels.

sk7326
11-01-2023, 08:15 AM
I am 45, so 1986 was my first.

Now, Buckner did not crush me - I fell asleep. I was 8. My dad said he'd let me know what happened if I passed out. Famous last words. But I was crushed by Game 7, where the Sox had a 3 run lead! That is what is wild sometimes. Like in 1975, the Reds lose one of the all time stomach punch games and still won the next road game.

I was in business school in 2003. We had a happy hour on the Thursday night, and me and a few buds went. They had Game 7 on the big screen. I was the only Red Sox fan in the group - but Yankees losing can unite lots of neutral fans. I was going to drive somebody home afterwards - but when Boone's homerun went over the fence, Todd (the guy I had to drive) looked at my face and said "I'll figure out how to get home." I nodded, "Thanks". I went home and stared. My mom called saying "I'm so sorry". I've never had my car stolen, but I felt what I imagine how someone feels walking up and down past the empty parking spot where the car was taken from. It was also the first time I felt like I was going to be another one of those "Sully from Revee-ah" guys who never saw his Sox win it all.

Of course 2004 happens - and indeed the way it happened was such that I am almost grateful for 2003 as its place in the two year dramatic arc. The other titles are great - I am certainly not going to pooh pooh them ... but no team's fan base anywhere (short of something like Leicester City winning the Premier League) will have as sweet a championship as 2004. All of the circumstances together are nearly impossible to find.

That said, if Texas wins it all - I will be happy for them. They were on the losing end of either the greatest (or IMO 2nd greatest) game of this century - one of the real stomach punch losses in baseball history - so it would be nice for their fans. And of course, I am happy for Nate. It is also worth remembering that Texas is doing this after losing their ace after just 6 starts this season.

Bellhorn04
11-01-2023, 09:34 AM
That said, if Texas wins it all - I will be happy for them. They were on the losing end of either the greatest (or IMO 2nd greatest) game of this century - one of the real stomach punch losses in baseball history - so it would be nice for their fans. And of course, I am happy for Nate. It is also worth remembering that Texas is doing this after losing their ace after just 6 starts this season.

I think the Texas front office should get some credit for really going for it in a year they had a shot. They lost deGrom as you say, then at the deadline they get Scherzer(also lost for the rest of the WS) and Montgomery.

That is some serious going for it.

sk7326
11-01-2023, 09:37 AM
I think the Texas front office should get some credit for really going for it in a year they had a shot. They lost deGrom as you say, then at the deadline they get Scherzer(also lost for the rest of the WS) and Montgomery.

10000000000000%

Bellhorn04
11-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Needless to say this WS ain't over yet.

I'd love to see Nate get the win tonight.

sk7326
11-01-2023, 09:48 AM
Needless to say this WS ain't over yet.

I'd love to see Nate get the win tonight.

Oh of course. Baseball is the consummate "life comes at you fast" playoffs.

Honestly, the Red Sox in 2018 being the best team wire to wire and having a fairly comprehensive playoff run is quite the exception. Even recently:

2014- Giants won a road Game 7
2015 - Royals came back from 2-1 down in the ALDS
2016 - Cubs had to come back from 3-1 down, won a road Game 7
2017 - Astros had to win a road Game 7
2019 - Nationals won a road Game 7
2020 - Pandemic season, whatever
2021 - 88-win Braves stun the Astros
2022 - Astros romped

mvp 78
11-01-2023, 09:56 AM

TX has smart baseball player (Princeton) turned GM.

Sox are trying to replicate that.

mvp 78
11-01-2023, 10:00 AM

Honestly, the Red Sox in 2018 being the best team wire to wire and having a fairly comprehensive playoff run is quite the exception. Even recently:

2022 - Astros romped

In 2018, the Sox didn't have the best record in the AL East from the beginning of the season on. There were 12 days when they weren't in 1st place, even as late as June 26th. On July 1, they were still tied with the Yanks for possession of 1st place.

sk7326
11-01-2023, 10:06 AM
In 2018, the Sox didn't have the best record in the AL East from the beginning of the season on. There were 12 days when they weren't in 1st place, even as late as June 26th. On July 1, they were still tied with the Yanks for possession of 1st place.

Sure - why I used "best team". I'll let Yankees fans stand up for other teams.

Bellhorn04
11-01-2023, 10:30 AM

2022 - Astros romped

Just to be a completist, in 2020 the Dodgers came back from down 3-1 in the NLCS.

5GoldGloves:OF,75
11-01-2023, 10:44 AM

Their front office made them the Overdogs.

Players must hate it when they lose Hall of Fame pitchers and MVP hitters, and all management can do is rely on rookie call-ups like Carter or replacement types like Jankowski, and either of their top two starters in innings pitched -- Dunning and Gray -- out of the bullpen every game.

vegasbob
11-01-2023, 10:52 PM
So glad to see "Big Game" Nate perform well in the Series winner. Goes 5-0 in the playoffs/WS. This guy may not be able to go 32 starts or 190 innings but if you need a competitive pitcher out there in a must win game, Nate is one of the few to call on.

I doubt he could have self elevated the 2023 Red Sox to the WC#3 but it is worth noting that Yalie Bloom couldn't rationalize Eovaldi's value vs Kluber's, and still had lux tax room leftover. And to all the Stat Masterson's who would "prove" Nate isn't worth the price, just understand the difference between guys that can handle the pressure and those that fold like cheap circus tents. Players like Eovaldi are invaluable to teams who want to win.

cp176
11-02-2023, 05:40 AM
So glad to see "Big Game" Nate perform well in the Series winner. Goes 5-0 in the playoffs/WS. This guy may not be able to go 32 starts or 190 innings but if you need a competitive pitcher out there in a must win game, Nate is one of the few to call on.

I doubt he could have self elevated the 2023 Red Sox to the WC#3 but it is worth noting that Yalie Bloom couldn't rationalize Eovaldi's value vs Kluber's, and still had lux tax room leftover. And to all the Stat Masterson's who would "prove" Nate isn't worth the price, just understand the difference between guys that can handle the pressure and those that fold like cheap circus tents. Players like Eovaldi are invaluable to teams who want to win.

Absolutely!

jad
11-02-2023, 06:24 AM
Extremely painful to turn on to watch Papi, interviewing Mookie, pretty much the Face of Baseball, after having Nate on earlier, heaping both with well-deserved praise. I guess sometimes customers have to be proud to sacrifice for the businessman's bottom line.

mvp 78
11-02-2023, 08:03 AM
The trophy case isn’t getting bigger, but the owner’s bank account is. Yay!

Bellhorn04
11-02-2023, 09:12 AM
Storm the Bastille!

mvp 78
11-02-2023, 09:38 AM
Storm the Bastille!

It doesn’t exist anymore! Mon dieu!

Dipre
11-02-2023, 01:54 PM
It doesn’t exist anymore! Mon dieu!

Your french sucks.