PDA

View Full Version : 9/5/23 Red Sox continue with Rays in Tropicana , 6:40 EDT

vegasbob
09-04-2023, 07:56 PM
Coming off a 13 game negative streak breakup at the Trop, in come from behind fashion, the Sox send Kutter Crawford out to sting the Rays.

Interesting matchup vs Zach Eflin ( 13-8; 3.40 ERA; 1.02 WHIP). Eflin was one of the possible acquisitions over the winter that Chaim and Co. "just" missed. We got Corey Kluber instead, late in the game

Sox broke out the bats in the first of this series with Casas and Yoshi homering, and the pitchers combined for 8 shutout innings after a weak 1st. Even Kenley pitched well on a back to back .

Sox are winning at .750 clip in September. You would like to think it will be the start of a miracle finish run to the WC#3 slot. Maybe .

dgalehouse
09-05-2023, 12:12 PM
The Rays are at their most vulnerable point. Not the same team that started back in April. Time to take advantage.

Maxbialystock
09-05-2023, 12:55 PM
The Rays are at their most vulnerable point. Not the same team that started back in April. Time to take advantage.

Good point because I remember how good they were in April.

Yesterday was a huge surprise, especially after the Rays scored 3 in the 1st and their starter just mowed down the Sox lineup with K after K.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 01:31 PM
Good point because I remember how good they were in April.

Yesterday was a huge surprise, especially after the Rays scored 3 in the 1st and their starter just mowed down the Sox lineup with K after K.

Maybe this is payback for us facing PIT when they were on fire.

Maxbialystock
09-05-2023, 02:05 PM

I'm not yet ready to include the cosmos into my thinking.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 02:24 PM
I'm not yet ready to include the cosmos into my thinking.

It was not the cosmos: it was a butterfly in Michoacan.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 04:11 PM

Timing is everything in a 162 game season. You're gonna run into eventual bad teams at the wrong time. Otoh, you can also run into good teams when they're not playing at their normal level. In a perfect season these two things even out, but usually not.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 04:21 PM
Timing is everything in a 162 game season. You're gonna run into eventual bad teams at the wrong time. Otoh, you can also run into good teams when they're not playing at their normal level. In a perfect season these two things even out, but usually not.

Actually, the SOX are a perfect example of a hot and cold team where an opposition team could easily play against at the right or wrong time.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 05:44 PM
Throw the pitch at Dever's eye level and he will be sitting down. Can't resist it and can't hit it. Sort of like Story on low sweepers away

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 05:46 PM
Looks like the league has discovered Devers has problems with high in the zone fast balls. Not sure Devers was aware where the pitch was becuase it appeared his eyes were closed.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 05:50 PM
Looks like the league has discovered Devers has problems with high in the zone fast balls. Not sure Devers was aware where the pitch was becuase it appeared his eyes were closed.

Yep, especially with 2 strikes.

Until he adjusts, it will stay that way. And he is very slow to adjust.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 05:52 PM
SOX really don't need Story.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 05:55 PM
SOX really don't need Story.

At least this time the pitcher pitched around it on only 4 pitches. We’ve seen far too many times where it takes 10 or 15 to get out of it.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 05:55 PM
No damage except for the extra pitch count.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 05:58 PM
Coming off a 13 game negative streak breakup at the Trop, in come from behind fashion, the Sox send Kutter Crawford out to sting the Rays.

Interesting matchup vs Zach Eflin ( 13-8; 3.40 ERA; 1.02 WHIP). Eflin was one of the possible acquisitions over the winter that Chaim and Co. "just" missed. We got Corey Kluber instead, late in the game

Sox broke out the bats in the first of this series with Casas and Yoshi homering, and the pitchers combined for 8 shutout innings after a weak 1st. Even Kenley pitched well on a back to back .

Sox are winning at .750 clip in September. You would like to think it will be the start of a miracle finish run to the WC#3 slot. Maybe .

Biggest problem is they have to pass 2 teams. That’s the toughest part. It helps that the Rangers and Astros have to play each other, but that may only get them past one of them. Jays have an easy schedule on paper.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 05:58 PM
I don't blame the Rays being careful with Casas.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:01 PM
Damn you Cash for putting a different CF in the game.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:05 PM
Casas showing some leather out there.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 06:06 PM
Casas already better on defense !

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 06:09 PM
The discussion on the Rays pitching philosophy is interesting. Go as hard as you can as long as you can, and that might get you a deal somewhere else. Seems like a lot of those guys end up hurt.

If I’m a GM, I’d be very reluctant to sign any pitcher who has spent much time in Tampa.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 06:14 PM
There is the problem with 2 guys in the OF, neither of whom is especially conversant in English. Abreu needed to take command as the CF'er. He looked at Yoshi pulling up and overran the ball. Again, as Moon says, it's not necessarily actual ruled errors, it is plays not made. It is also the problem with 2 out ( or any out) walks).

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:14 PM
The discussion on the Rays pitching philosophy is interesting. Go as hard as you can as long as you can, and that might get you a deal somewhere else. Seems like a lot of those guys end up hurt.

If I’m a GM, I’d be very reluctant to sign any pitcher who has spent much time in Tampa.

Well, the SOX signed Price and that wasn't much bang for the buck.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:16 PM
There is the problem with 2 guys in the OF, neither of whom is especially conversant in English. Abreu needed to take command as the CF'er. He looked at Yoshi pulling up and overran the ball. Again, as Moon says, it's not necessarily actual ruled errors, it is plays not made. It is also the problem with 2 out ( or any out walks).

Abreu in CF and Rafaela at SS and all Kutter can think is "thank you, Cora."

jung
09-05-2023, 06:16 PM
There is the problem with 2 guys in the OF, neither of whom is especially conversant in English. Abreu needed to take command as the CF'er. He looked at Yoshi pulling up and overran the ball. Again, as Moon says, it's not necessarily actual ruled errors, it is plays not made. It is also the problem with 2 out ( or any out) walks).

Sigh....is Abreu really a CFer? Is Yoshi really any sort of OFer?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:17 PM
3-0. The SOX have the Rays right where they want them.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 06:17 PM
And some people on here says defense doesn't matter. That's 3 runs right there because of the defense

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:18 PM
Sigh....is Abreu really a CFer? Is Yoshi really any sort of OFer?

Is Cora really a manager?

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 06:18 PM
The inning goes on with still 2 outs (made) . HR by the #9 hitter

Crawford's pitch count is well above a 100 pitch/5 inning projection. Just keep making the BP bleed. Then Crawford walks another one

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 06:20 PM
And some people on here says defense doesn't matter. That's 3 runs right there because of the defense

A perfect example, and no error charged!

Yet, the gloss overs continue.

jung
09-05-2023, 06:21 PM
The inning goes on with still 2 outs (made) . HR by the #9 hitter

Crawford's pitch count is well above a 100 pitch/5 inning projection. Just keep making the BP bleed. Then Crawford walks another one

57 pitches and not out of the second inning!!! Good night Irene

Make that 58

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 06:22 PM

True, but too many Sox pitchers seem to fall apart when things go a bit awry as well. They’ve got to be mentally tougher. Kutter’s making horrible pitches all inning.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 06:23 PM
That was 18 pitches after the 3rd out should have been made on a reasonably routine run/catch , not even at the warning track. I know the roof visibility in the Trop, especially in daylight is not good but Abreu had to get that ball.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:23 PM
Is Cora really a manager?

My apologies. Cora would make one hell of a manager at a Day Care Center.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:25 PM
Viva Valdez!

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 06:26 PM
Big hit by Valdez helps.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 06:31 PM
That was 18 pitches after the 3rd out should have been made on a reasonably routine run/catch , not even at the warning track. I know the roof visibility in the Trop, especially in daylight is not good but Abreu had to get that ball.

Agreed, but I’ll cut the kid a small break on his first series at the Trop; last night the only chance he had all night was a line drive to end the game.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 06:38 PM
Masa makes a play or did he? Looked like a clean catch on the first replay

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 06:39 PM
Masa makes a play or did he? Looked like a clean catch on the first replay

Doesn't look like a catch to me but not sure if enough to over turn it

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:40 PM
Either way it was still a nice catch.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:42 PM
Either way it was still a nice catch.

It wasn't a circus catch even though the game is being played in a circus tent.

jung
09-05-2023, 06:43 PM
Doesn't look like a catch to me but not sure if enough to over turn it

Cash waited too long to challenge. Figures....even when Yoshi makes a good catch....its not a catch.

Maybe just maybe if the Sox buy a rack and stretch Yoshi out....he might at least be a LFer. Nahhhhhh

We have enough DH's on this team to choke a mule.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:46 PM
Cash waited too long to challenge. Figures....even when Yoshi makes a good catch....its not a catch.

Maybe just maybe if the Sox buy a rack and stretch Yoshi out....he might at least be a LFer. Nahhhhhh

We have enough DH's on this team to choke a mule.

The batter was called out so I guess it really was a catch. You shouldn't pick on people who are vertically challenged.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 06:50 PM
Another f'ing chUMP who deserves a foul tip to the mask.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:07 PM
Wasn't that special?

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 07:08 PM
Jacques comes into Crawford's mess and immediately screws up vs a LH'er. The hitters need to come around for Boston

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:09 PM
And the hits keep on cummin.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 07:10 PM
2 HBP's with bases loaded ?? Keeps the line moving, nice work. When playing bullpen roulette , Cora's odds are less than 50-50

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:11 PM
2 HBP's with bases loaded ?? Keeps the line moving, nice work. When playing bullpen roulette , Cora's odds are less than 50-50

Pardon my French, but F Cora.

jung
09-05-2023, 07:12 PM
The batter was called out so I guess it really was a catch. You shouldn't pick on people who are vertically challenged.

I have empathy for people that are vertically challenged. Its not Yoshi's fault that he is in our OF.

notin
09-05-2023, 07:16 PM
I have empathy for people that are vertically challenged. Its not Yoshi's fault that he is in our OF.

Sure it is. Unless you think the Yakuza put a gun to his head when the offer was made…

jung
Pardon my French, but F Cora.

If you want to consider pitching a component of run prevention....hence defense......all in we are like a Hockey team playing without a goalie.

"Gee Bob I don't know how that shot got to the back of the net. Did that go through the 5 hole?"

"I don't know John. There is no goalie out there. So its all holes."

I did say way early this year that it will take MLB a couple years at least to adjust to not being able to rely on the shift to cover for bad fielders. Will take a few draft sessions at least to get more athletic defenders out there in the field. That said at some point here there is going to be a Pitcher revolt based on this everything is a hit nonsense.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
Tropicana Field isn't only a disgrace to MLB; it's also a disgrace to architecture.

notin
09-05-2023, 07:17 PM
Joe Jacques will be right next to Mauricio Llovera on the Players I Will Never Miss List…

jung
09-05-2023, 07:18 PM
Sure it is. Unless you think the Yakuza put a gun to his head when the offer was made…

Its the Sox fault and its the nerds fault. "defense does not matter....we got this little guy we think can hit and we don't give a fuck if he can field or not"

Are you going to blame Yoshi for taking the money? Thats white of you.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Its the Sox fault and its the nerds fault. "defense does not matter....we got this little guy we think can hit and we don't give a fuck if he can field or not"

If you think Masa's vertically challenged defense is the big problem with the SOX, you haven't been paying attention.

jung
09-05-2023, 07:21 PM
Tropicana Field isn't only a disgrace to MLB; it's also a disgrace to architecture.

Its not like we have torn up the Rays playing in Fenway.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:23 PM

The SOX FO just paid a guy over 300 mil with that exact same thought.

jung
09-05-2023, 07:24 PM
If you think Masa's vertically challenged defense is the big problem with the SOX, you haven't been paying attention.

Defense generally is a problem. Anything not hit to Verdugo or Story is an adventure.

And the pitching another component of run prevention is a huge problem. I would assert that Bloom is more responsible for both than Cora though I am not exactly a Cora devotee. I would likely toss both of them and start over.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:25 PM
Its not like we have torn up the Rays playing in Fenway.

Where did that come from? I was speaking about the mausoleum with a circus tent inside. What has that got to do with the SOX?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:26 PM
Defense generally is a problem. Anything not hit to Verdugo or Story is an adventure.

And the pitching another component of run prevention is a huge problem. I would assert that Bloom is more responsible for both than Cora though I am not exactly a Cora devotee. I would likely toss both of them and start over.

We can agree on that.

jung
09-05-2023, 07:27 PM
Seem like the should have thought of him in terms of DH then. Whoops they have a DH....a few of them actually.

What they paid for Yoshi sounds like the 2023 version of the Castillo contract. How did that work out.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:29 PM
We can agree on that.

There was a rumor with very little smoke that the SOX were looking to sign Theo as CBO. Even Brewers ex-GM Stern was mentioned.

jung
09-05-2023, 07:29 PM
Where did that come from? I was speaking about the mausoleum with a circus tent inside. What has that got to do with the SOX?

Actually I have had all I can stand of OB and whomever is the analyst constantly chattering about the Trop while the team that calls it home is kicking our ass regularly.

Someday I think the Rays will be playing elsewhere. But OB's juvenile shit about the Trop gets under my skin. So I admit to being a bit sensitive on the topic.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:31 PM
Seem like the should have thought of him in terms of DH then. Whoops they have a DH....a few of them actually.

What they paid for Yoshi sounds like the 2023 version of the Castillo contract. How did that work out.

So you're throwing Masa's complete season, so far, into the toilet. I don't really understand the Castillo comparison.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:32 PM
Actually I have had all I can stand of OB and whomever is the analyst constantly chattering about the Trop while the team that calls it home is kicking our ass regularly.

Someday I think the Rays will be playing elsewhere. But OB's juvenile shit about the Trop gets under my skin. So I admit to being a bit sensitive on the topic.

It's a shit ballpark. Enough said.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 07:42 PM
Mr. 3-2 count takes the walk. With guys on 2nd/3rd no outs, I would rather Casas hits the ball somewhere. Duvall now needs to come through

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 07:44 PM
That was right down the pipe for Duval

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 07:44 PM
WTF was Duvall expecting ? That was very poor

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 07:45 PM
Now Mr. GIDP needs to hit something other than a weak grounder. Still gagging over Duvall's crap

Now gagging on Yoshi's reluctance to swing in a key situation. These guys are mindless

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 07:46 PM
Well at least that wasn't a GIDP

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:47 PM
Well at least that wasn't a GIDP

It wasn't a strike either, but this chUMP eats shit.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 07:48 PM
It wasn't a strike either.

It was a strike. It caught the edge

jad
09-05-2023, 07:48 PM
So you're throwing Masa's complete season, so far, into the toilet. I don't really understand the Castillo comparison.

How many times did Rusney hit .300?

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 07:50 PM
What a wasted opportunity

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 07:51 PM
This is sooooo 2023 Soxish.

jgar658
09-05-2023, 07:53 PM
On a different note. My wife wants to know. How come The fingernails of Casas are black?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:53 PM
Yesterday it was posted that the Rays do four things better than the SOX. Pitching, timely hitting, defense and base running. There is a 5th thing. They have a better manager.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 07:54 PM
On a different note. My wife wants to know. How come The fingernails of Casas are black?

So the infielders can read the sign when they throw the ball to 1st.

jung
09-05-2023, 07:59 PM
It's a shit ballpark. Enough said.

Its a Ballpark that was going to be the Rays home as an MLB franchise. The league owners vote new franchises into their little club. The vote tally for the Tampa franchise was 28-0 as it was for the Diamondbacks that year. So the Red Sox voted this team in with this ballpark. OB works for NESN which is owned by Fenway Group which owns the Red Sox. So for my money OB should just shut his snickering, juvenile horse shit mouth about it. Write a letter to his bosses if he wishes.

In fact, if I had my way I would run Bloom, Cora and OB out of town on a rail.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:03 PM
Dave Bush weighed 250 pounds before the season started.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:04 PM
Winck at 26 pitches , after Paredes wears him out. Relievers without an out pitch are destined for long AB's

jung
09-05-2023, 08:04 PM

No I am saying that IMO Yoshi will never be a competent ML OFer and they have signed him at a point in time when the league's teams really are going to be forced to draft and field more well rounded players by virtue of the end of the shift in MLB. So maybe his salary for a DH is fine. I am just not kidding myself that he will ever be a competent ML OFer. Maybe they can hide him in LF...maybe not.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:08 PM
Its a Ballpark that was going to be the Rays home as an MLB franchise. The league owners vote new franchises into their little club. The vote tally for the Tampa franchise was 28-0 as it was for the Diamondbacks that year. So the Red Sox voted this team in with this ballpark. OB works for NESN which is owned by Fenway Group which owns the Red Sox. So for my money OB should just shut his snickering, juvenile horse shit mouth about it. Write a letter to his bosses if he wishes.

In fact, if I had my way I would run Bloom, Cora and OB out of town on a rail.

I'm getting the Tampa feed. Is Youk and/or Wake working the booth tonight?

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:10 PM
So how many opportunities to be winning this game have the Sox coughed up ? Crawford not really sharp today; Abreu's misplay making it worse; 2 out walks followed by a HR to the #9 hitter; Jacques allow 2 scores by HBP;; 2nd/3rd 0 outs, then bases loaded and follow up with 2 K's and a pop fly; 2 errors in the field Still 3 innings to go

jung
09-05-2023, 08:12 PM
MLB defense is laughably bad....just awful across MLB. They are even trying to hide it and they can't hide it.

jung
09-05-2023, 08:13 PM
I'm getting the Tampa feed. Is Youk and/or Wake working the booth tonight?

Neither, its Middlebrooks

Give me Papelbon in the booth....PLEASE God give me Paps. Never going to happen though.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:15 PM
This f'ing chUMP would be more suited for frisking the batters to make sure they're not carrying a gun.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Neither, its Middlebrooks

Give me Papelbon in the booth....PLEASE God give me Paps. Never going to happen though.

No one in any MLB booth is worse than Youk and Wake.

jung
09-05-2023, 08:16 PM
Hysterical ....just hysterical. Rays SS actually moved over so he could take that JT hit off to the side. He WAS in front of it before he moved. Yeah, that worked.

Comment from the Sox booth. "That was a shot"

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:17 PM
Gee whiz, Turner now equals Devers as Sox RBI leader . Raffy has not had a HR since August 20, I think

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Did the SOX and Rays switch uniforms?

jung
09-05-2023, 08:19 PM
Aha....aha.....ah....ah....ahahahahaha

Dead ML ballplayers not just turning in their graves. Their coffins with them inside are shooting off into outer space, right out of the ground.....BLAST OFF!!!!

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:20 PM
What is all this BS about defensive ineptitude ?

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 08:20 PM
How is that called a hit? That's an error

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:21 PM
Gee whiz, Turner now equals Devers as Sox RBI leader . Raffy has not had a HR since August 20, I think

It seems much further away than that.

vegasbob
Duvall with 3 K's and a foul out leaves 6 on base by himself.

jung
How is that called a hit? That's an error

Which one, the JT "shot" or that mess in shallow LF. Both were errors in my book. 2023 MLB....not so much.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:23 PM
What is all this BS about defensive ineptitude ?

Official scoring this season has really sucked. I guess they're using minor league standards.

jgar658
09-05-2023, 08:23 PM
Should Story sit while Rafaela plays SS?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:24 PM

Well, he is known as a streak hitter. It had to end eventually.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:26 PM
In all seriousness the Sox should be winning this game about 6-2 , and should do whatever it takes to win this one. Take the series , it's being offered to you guys

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:26 PM
Should Story sit while Rafaela plays SS?

No, but when Cora rests a player, ......... winning the game is secondary.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:28 PM
Brennan Bernadino was maybe the best dumpster find of the year. Pretty consistent

notin
09-05-2023, 08:29 PM

Duvall has 10 HRs and a .999 OPS since August 1. I can cut him one bad night. If not for his recent hot streak, this game might not even matter…

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:29 PM
In all seriousness the Sox should be winning this game about 6-2 , and should do whatever it takes to win this one. Take the series , it's being offered to you guys

I guarantee the SOX win tonight, in spite of....

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:30 PM
Duvall has 10 HRs and a .999 OPS since August 1. I can cut him one bad night. If not for his recent hot streak, this game might not even matter…

This is 100% true.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:31 PM

Just goes to show the "clutch" concept is a non-starter in terms of repeatability

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:34 PM
Just goes to show the "clutch" concept is a non-starter in terms of repeatability

So I should just drop the nickname 'Clutch' that I gave Devers?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:37 PM

Big Papi was definitely the closest to the repeatable concept of 'clutch' that I've ever seen.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:38 PM
So I should drop the nickname 'Clutch' that I gave Devers?

I'd go with Dutch Devers , clutch is just a woman's stylish evening purse

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 08:38 PM
MLB defense is laughably bad....just awful across MLB. They are even trying to hide it and they can't hide it.

The whole idea that 98% of playable hits are turned into outs is hilarious.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 08:40 PM
Which one, the JT "shot" or that mess in shallow LF. Both were errors in my book. 2023 MLB....not so much.

Casas pop up. It hit the glove, that's an error 100 percent

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:41 PM
Jansen is probably(definitely?) not available tonight.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 08:42 PM
I'd go with Dutch Devers , clutch is just a woman's stylish evening purse

Like the one Jeter used to carry to 1B with him?

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2009/02/barry-bonds-alex-rodriguez-and.html

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 08:42 PM
Casas pop up. It hit the glove, that's an error 100 percent

Not anymore.

It's sick.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:43 PM
Like the one Jeter used to carry to 1B with him?

http://www.mrdestructo.com/2009/02/barry-bonds-alex-rodriguez-and.html

You meant A-roid.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:47 PM
You meant A-roid.

The mere thought of both Arod and Jeter in the same moment causes heart palpitations.

Jasonbay44
09-05-2023, 08:48 PM
Rays are playing like idiots tonight. Very uncharacteristic

moonslav59
MASA for GG!

redsoxrules
Tampa playing like the Red Sox this game lol

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:49 PM
The mere thought of both Arod and Jeter in the same moment causes heart palpitations.

Hard not to love them both.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:49 PM
Yoshi's catch was a rerun of Benintendi, plus Yoshida saw the DP right in front of him

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 08:50 PM
Tampa playing like the Red Sox this game lol

Apparently, the league is watered down, but the rest of us are slow to realize it.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:51 PM
C'mon guys, win the game now , no extra innings . Pitching is thin

notin
09-05-2023, 08:51 PM

“Clutch” and hit streaks are very different. Very, very different…

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:52 PM
Apparently, the league is watered down, but the rest of us are slow to realize it.

But it's a faster watered-down game now.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 08:52 PM
Welcome to MLB pitching, Rafaela

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 08:53 PM

You have become insufferable.

Turner’s ball was hit hard. It was also a play that should have been made. Two things can be true at the same time.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 08:54 PM
JT did NOT have to prove is not a skill.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 08:55 PM
Many batters, it seems, have a pitch location outside the strike zone they can't help swinging at. For JT it appears to be that up and in pitch.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:00 PM

“Clutch” exists to the extent that in a big situation, some players are able to relax and do what they normally do. A “clutch” .300 hitter will hit around .300 in those situations. A .250 hitter will hit around .250.

I firmly believe “non-clutch” also exists. Those are the guys who tense up and are not able to do what they normally do.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:05 PM
“Clutch” exists to the extent that in a big situation, some players are able to relax and do what they normally do. A “clutch” .300 hitter will hit around .300 in those situations. A .250 hitter will hit around .250.

I firmly believe “non-clutch” also exists. Those are the guys who tense up and are not able to do what they normally do.

Instead of 'clutch' I prefer 'timely hitting.' Timely hitting is more of a team concept and something the SOX have not been very good at this season.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:09 PM
Damn. I was hoping that high fly ball woud hit off the trapeze.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:12 PM
A pinch-runner for Casas may have provided a runner at 3rd, but Cora's the manager.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 09:12 PM
This ump is brutal

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:14 PM
Instead of 'clutch' I prefer 'timely hitting.' Timely hitting is more of a team concept and something the SOX have not been very good at this season.

A perfect example in the 10th. And so many other examples in extra innings this season.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:15 PM

I don’t know about timely hitting, but that described the 10th perfectly

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 09:15 PM
Omf this defense. It's non stop

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:16 PM
Omf this defense. It's non stop

That’s on Casas. Urias had no chance to get there from where they had him playing.

Now why he was playing there is a different discussion.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
I guarantee the SOX win tonight, in spite of....

My guarantees aren't guaranteed.

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
This team stopped hitting. Game’s about to be over.

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:19 PM
Try and make him chase a pitch here.

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:20 PM
Wow!!!!

Jasonbay44
Wow. They actually got out of that

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
Do you believe in magic?

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:21 PM
Time to win this game!! Let’s go!!!!!

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:21 PM
Lousy throw but at least it was up the 3rd base line.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 09:22 PM
Wow! Impressive to get out of that.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:22 PM
Schreiber and Duvall and a good tag. That's all you need.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:23 PM
Bunt coming here

Edit- or not. WP helps.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:24 PM
I called for a wild pitch.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:25 PM
Bunt coming here

who needs to bunt when you are playing against the Sox...errrr. I mean ... the Rays D?

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:25 PM
Was that ReeseWhitherspoon PH'ing?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:26 PM
Need another wild pitch or a balk or an error or an error called a hit.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:26 PM
who needs to bunt when you are playing against the Sox...errrr. I mean ... the Rays D?

WP did the job, but McGuire’s tap would have anyway.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 09:27 PM
McGuire hit some early in the year but in reality he is not good with the bat

Jasonbay44
09-05-2023, 09:27 PM
We’ll take it!

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:28 PM
Was that Urias Heep at bat?

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:28 PM
Need another wild pitch or a balk or an error or an error called a hit.

Error called a hit was close.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:29 PM
Was that Urias Heep at bat?

Urias is the son of Uranus and should be treated as such.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:29 PM
Error called a hit was close.

Not an easy play as far as he had to go.

jung
09-05-2023, 09:30 PM
You have become insufferable.

Turner’s ball was hit hard. It was also a play that should have been made. Two things can be true at the same time.

The SS was right in front of it and he moved out of the way so he could Ole it. If he had just stood there it would have hit him right in the clove on one bounce. And no...that was not a shot.....more of a looping liner.

Then Siri who did make a very good to great play in the OF earlier in the game crosses in front of the RFer as he is trying to make a catch. What the hell was he doing there? The correct place for him to be would have been several feet in front of the RFer so that if the RFer gave himself up trying to make the catch and the ball rebounded off the wall Siri could have hunted it down without much damage. From where Siri was he was just in the way and in no position to do anything. Then in the next half inning Siri lays down a bunt and Casas who is often found chewing on his glove at 1st base fails to get back to first so that there is somebody for the pitcher to toss the ball to in order to recored an out.

Defense/fielding in MLB this year is just terrible and it will remain terrible until MLB adapts to life without the shift and gets more all around ballplayers in the game....guys that can actually hit AND field some position.

jung
09-05-2023, 09:33 PM
Like I said, you have become insufferable.

If truth is insuperable then I guess I am insufferable.

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:36 PM
Might wanna throw strikes.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:36 PM
3rd appearance in row for Kenley. This is unknown territory.

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:38 PM
Fuck you Jansen!

Jasonbay44
Lol really

jung

Well I guess now its known territory

redsoxrules

First time all season.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER

Not unknown any longer.

moonslav59
B Lowe has always killed the Sox.

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:39 PM
Lol really

Looking at gameday that pitch was up. 🤦*♂️ Right in the wheelhouse.

illinoisredsox

You could see that coming in the AB against Diaz. Couldn’t put him away.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
Tough loss, but there's always tomorrow.

vegasbob
09-05-2023, 09:40 PM
Now Jansen has lost 6 games

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:40 PM
Might wanna throw strikes.

How did that work out?

d-money
09-05-2023, 09:41 PM
How did that work out?

Well that walk didn’t help.

BOSOX11
09-05-2023, 09:41 PM
Jansen is garbage. If he was any good, the Dodgers would have kept him. We just pulled his sorry ass out of the recycle bin.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:42 PM
B Lowe has always killed the Sox.

Actually, the SOX kill themselves. They don't need any help.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:42 PM
Jansen is garbage. If he was any good, the Dodgers would have kept him. We just pulled his sorry ass out of the recycle bin.

He saved 30 games this year, they’re asking him to do something he hasn’t done all year and he’s garbage?

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:43 PM
Tough loss, but there's always tomorrow.

Too many tough losses.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:44 PM
Well that walk didn’t help.

So instead of 8-6, they lose 7-6.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 09:44 PM
He saved 30 games this year, they’re asking him to do something he hasn’t done all year and he’s garbage?

Jansen has been babied which is why he's had a decent season. He's not that great when he has to pitch in consecutive games.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:45 PM
Coulda gained a game on TEX.

Jasonbay44
09-05-2023, 09:46 PM
Jansen has been babied which is why he's had a decent season. He's not that great when he has to pitch in consecutive games.

He’s better than Matt Barnes

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:46 PM

Why bother? We live in a country of alternate facts.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:48 PM
The J-J bookends did us in.

Jacques & Jansen.

The pen in between did great: 5 IP, 2H, 0 ER, 3BB, 6K

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:48 PM
Why bother? We live in a country of alternate facts.

Makes me want to avoid the game threads, again.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:49 PM

With Cora as manager all the SOX players are babied. This was Kenley's 3rd appearance in a row, not a usual thing for closers.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:51 PM
Makes me want to avoid the game threads, again.

C'mon, MOON. You had a couple of good zingers tonight. The season's almost over and good zingers are hard to find.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 09:52 PM
He’s better than Matt Barnes

Anyone is better than Matt Barns.
They should go after Josh Hader this off season.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:52 PM

Dodgers:
40 Saves
14 Blown Saves (7 by Graterol)
74%

Red Sox
40 Saves
13 Blown Saves (only 4 by Jansen)
k75%

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:54 PM
Too many tough losses.

Defense has been a factor, but imho, lack of timely hitting has been the biggest factor.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 09:55 PM
Anyone is better than Matt Barns.
They should go after Josh Hader this off season.

Maybe Bra Man.

redsoxrules
09-05-2023, 09:55 PM
What's Jansen numbers this year when pitching on consecutive games? I can't seem to get numbers for this.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 09:56 PM
Dodgers:
40 Saves
14 Blown Saves (7 by Graterol)
74%

Red Sox
40 Saves
13 Blown Saves (only 4 by Jansen)
k75%

Pretty sure the Sox have the fewest in the majors this season. At worst, they have the second fewest. I think they are best in save percentage or again, maybe second.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:57 PM
Defense has been a factor, but imho, lack of time hitting has been the biggest factor.

Yes. Bases loaded and no outs.

How many times, this year?

OKay, I checked. Can't belive we are batting .324 with bases jacked. (Must be in 9-2 games.)

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:57 PM
Pretty sure the Sox have the fewest in the majors this season. At worst, they have the second fewest. I think they are best in save percentage or again, maybe second.

To many judge on a player's last AB or appearance. Some on one pitch.

moonslav59
09-05-2023, 09:58 PM
Maybe Bra Man.

Just replace clowns like Jacques.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 10:01 PM
The J-J bookends did us in.

Jacques & Jansen.

The pen in between did great: 5 IP, 2H, 0 ER, 3BB, 6K

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 10:02 PM
Yes. Bases loaded and no outs.

How many times, this year?

OKay, I checked. Can't belive we are batting .324 with bases jacked. (Must be in 9-2 games.)

Trust your eyes more than stats.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 10:02 PM
To many judge on a player's last AB or appearance. Some on one pitch.

That’s for sure.

illinoisredsox
09-05-2023, 10:08 PM
Don't understand why Martin, the SOX best reliever, couldn't have tried to finish the game tonight. IMHO, the odds were better using Martin than a 3rd straight appearance by Jansen. WTF, Cora does what Cora does and I would also have him take some responsiblity for 'tough' losses.

Martin pitched the 8th. You want him to pitch the 9th, 10th and 11th as well?

Schreiber did the job in the 9th and 10th.

Crawford going less than 4 was a killer.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 10:12 PM

I f'd up. I thought Martin pitched the 10th. I wish I could blame drinking for my confusion, but I'm sober as Aaron Judge. I will delete that post immediately. Thanks for correcting my idiocy.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
09-05-2023, 10:21 PM

SOX starters going deep (6 Innings now of days) is the exception, not the rule. The BP has been unfairly maligned, mainly because of inept starting pitching. Bloom has a ton of work to do this offseason. Hope he's up to it.

****THEYANKEES
09-05-2023, 11:01 PM

exactly. this guy has been crap since the day he showed up. this POS makes Barnsey and Bra man look good.

5GoldGloves:OF,75
09-06-2023, 05:49 AM

How can you say that?

Joe Jokes threw a two-hitter: Lowe and Paredes, back-to-back (upon review, it may have been back-to-foot...)

Who says such clutch moments are not repeatable... Who says such clutch moments are not repeatable...

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 07:05 AM
exactly. this guy has been crap since the day he showed up. this POS makes Barnsey and Bra man look good.

We've had a merry-go-round of carnival clowns, all year.

Our top 6-7 RPs have been ring leaders and strongmen. The bottom 7-8 have been side- show freaks.

Bellhorn04
09-06-2023, 07:09 AM
We've had a merry-go-round of carnival clowns, all year.

Our top 6-7 RPs have been ring leaders and strongmen. The bottom 7-8 have been side- show freaks.

And when you have so many short starts from the rotation you get way too many performances by the latter.

mvp 78
09-06-2023, 07:48 AM
And when you have so many short starts from the rotation you get way too many performances by the latter.

The problem definitely resides in the rotation first and foremost. The worst two guys in your bullpen aren't going to tank your season.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 07:58 AM

Indeed, but if we had one more long guy like Houck, Pivetta, Crawford, and most years Whitlock, we'd have won a lot more games with them vs:
IP Pitcher ERA
31 Bleier 5.28
25 Jacques 5.11
23 Ort 6.26
21 Bra-Man 7.29
19 Walter 5.79
18 Garza 7.36
17 Llovera 4.67
8 Bear Claw 12.91
3.0 Littell 9.0
2.0 Faria 22.00
2.0 Lamet 13.50

That's over 160 IP, some of which were mop up, so if we replaced 80-100 of those with just a 4.50 long guy, we'd have more wins and less stress on the better part of our pen.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 08:00 AM
The problem definitely resides in the rotation first and foremost. The worst two guys in your bullpen aren't going to tank your season.

No doubt, but there are more than just 2 areas (SP & untimely hitting) that have cost us 5-6 games.

I'd say...

8-12 games Defense
5-8 games first or second guy in from the pen.

Bellhorn04
09-06-2023, 08:16 AM
No doubt, but there are more than just 2 areas (SP & untimely hitting) that have cost us 5-6 games.

I'd say...

8-12 games Defense

That's 13-20 games.

20 more wins would give us the best record in baseball.

No way you can back this up.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 08:30 AM
That's 13-20 games.

20 more wins would give us the best record in baseball.

No way you can back this up.

How many wins does 60+ opps hits turned into outs get a team? That is the difference between our OAA and some of the better defensive teams. We ar 77 worse than the best team and about 50 worse than the mean.

It's hard to prove the 7th and 8th RP losses turned to win, but change the ERA from about 7.00 to 4.50 for 160 IP and do the math. I think that comes to about 45 runs (not outs.)

I'd guess it's closer to 20 than 12-13, but I'm pretty sure it's 13.

****THEYANKEES
09-06-2023, 08:57 AM

and the shitty defense makes it harder for a shaky pitching staff to go deeper into games. but some people say defense doesn't matter.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 09:04 AM
and the shitty defense makes it harder for a shaky pitching staff to go deeper into games. but some people say defense doesn't matter.

It's hard to keep track of how many 4 and 5 out innings our pitchers had to get through, and it seems like a heck of a lot more than the -49 OAA number.

Perhaps, I am counting possible outs for every play, even somewhat tough to really tough ones I see opposing defense make against us as an extra out, but I'm pretty sure, even being conservative, it has to be 49 or more missed outs. It seems like more than 1 every 3 games, though.

Bellhorn04
09-06-2023, 09:14 AM
How many wins does 60+ opps hits turned into outs get a team? That is the difference between our OAA and some of the better defensive teams. We ar 77 worse than the best team and about 50 worse than the mean.

It's hard to prove the 7th and 8th RP losses turned to win, but change the ERA from about 7.00 to 4.50 for 160 IP and do the math. I think that comes to about 45 runs (not outs.)

I'd guess it's closer to 20 than 12-13, but I'm pretty sure it's 13.

FanGraphs WAR calculations convert 10 runs to 1 win.

Bellhorn04
09-06-2023, 09:16 AM
We've got players who have been good on O but lousy on D, like Casas, Yoshida, Duvall etc.

What it comes down to is...if we had better players, we'd be a better team!

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 09:41 AM
FanGraphs WAR calculations convert 10 runs to 1 win.

Okay, how many hits turned to outs does it take to save a run? (Defence)

So, the 45 "extra runs" let up by our scrub pitchers might have led to 4-5 more losses. (I said 5-8.)

mvp 78
09-06-2023, 09:42 AM
We've got players who have been good on O but lousy on D, like Casas, Yoshida, Duvall etc.

Casas may get better. Duvall is a decent corner OF, but a horrible CF. Yoshida is a DH.

mvp 78
09-06-2023, 09:42 AM
Okay, how many hits turned to outs does it take to save a run?

Depends.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 09:45 AM

Better all around players, yes, especially at key defensive positions like SS.

jad
09-06-2023, 10:54 AM
Has the RS season deteriorated to such a point that we are now discussing (in part, unironically it seems) the issue of whether having better players makes for a better team?

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 11:03 AM
Has the RS season deteriorated to such a point that we are now discussing (in part, unironically it seems) the issue of whether having better players makes for a better team?

That's such an absurd concept.

Maxbialystock
09-06-2023, 12:24 PM

I'd say...

8-12 games Defense

This is not credible because you have zero hard evidence. Go to all the box scores--or better still the pitch by pitch replay you can get on mlb.com--and cite specific examples of 8-12 games lost specifically because of the defense and nothing else.

I hasten to add that the Sox lose in 9 innings last night without the two Rays errors which led to 2 unearned runs. The two Sox errors led to 0 unearned runs.

The Sox are ranked 21st in team ERA. I know you and many others despise ERA, but over time it's been a consistent marker on whether or not the Sox will get to the postseason. Below are the Sox rankings in team ERA and whether or not they made it to the postseason.

2022, 25th, no
2021, 15th, yes
2019, 19th, no
2018, 8th, yes
2017, 4th, yes
2016, 9th, yes
2015, 25th, no
2014, 23d, no
2013, 14th, yes
2012, 27th, no
2011, 22d, no
2010, 22d, no
2009, 16th, yes
2008, 9th, yes
2007, 2d, yes
2006, 26th, no
2005, 24th, yes
2004, 11th, yes
2003, 17th, yes
2002, 7th, no

2005 (ERA 24th, yes postseason), and 2002 (ERA 7th, no postseason) are the two exceptions in 20 seasons. I skipped 2020 because I don't think it was a real season. But, FYI, the Sox ERA was 28th and they didn't make it to the postseason.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 12:34 PM
This is not credible because you have zero hard evidence. Go to all the box scores--or better still the pitch by pitch replay you can get on mlb.com--and cite specific examples of 8-12 games lost specifically because of the defense and nothing else.

I hasten to add that the Sox lose in 9 innings last night without the two Rays errors which led to 2 unearned runs. The two Sox errors led to 0 unearned runs.

Did the Sox misplays on D cost us runs or not?

In a tied agme after 9, I'm saying we make those plays, we win.

It has nothing to do with how we scored.

I already proved we might have lost 5 games from our scrubs in the 7-8 slots of the pen.
I have evidence to prove our D has made 60-77 less outs on D than our top contenders in 139 games.

I showed evidence.

BTW, box scores don't note plays that weren't made that should have been made.

I've watched every game. 77 less outs made is being conservative.

I did not ever say defense and nothing else, just like you can't say x amount of games were lost on pitching and nothing else or batting and nothing else.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 12:52 PM

Did you watch the game? The play Duvall misplayed was a sure third out and not called an error. A runner scored on the misplay and the next guy homered. It should have been 3 unearned runs. If you can't count that one as poor D leading to runs, I can never convince you of anything.

Again....

With average defense, I am convinced we'd have won 8-9 more games, minimum. With slightly above average: 9-11. Great D 11-12 or more.

Box scores show errors and unearned runs. We've already seen dozens of plays that used to be called errors caalled hits, this year, not to mention all the plays they've never called erros, like an OF'er circling a fly ball and never touching it.

Opposing teams had a .309 BAbip vs us, this year. That means about 31% of all balls put in play were hits, while 60% were outs.

Since 183 of the 1239 hits were for HRs, 1066 were balls hit for singles, doubles or triples. (That's not counting reach on errors, and we have had 94, some of which did not allow a baserunner to get on base, but did allow him to advance a base or two.)

The overly generous scorekeepers already shows our errors,alone led to 50 unearned runs, which in theory led to 5 losses. I'm 100% certain, uncalled errors that were clear misplays led to another 30 runs and 3 losses, and marginal plays not made led to 1-3 more losses.

Of course, no game is one or lost on one or even 2 plays, but losses could have been converted to wins with better pitching, better batting, better defense and better baserunning.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 12:55 PM

The Sox are ranked 21st in team ERA. I know you and many others despise ERA, but over time it's been a consistent marker on whether or not the Sox will get to the postseason. Below are the Sox rankings in team ERA and whether or not they made it to the postseason.

2022, 25th, no
2021, 15th, yes
2019, 19th, no
2018, 8th, yes
2017, 4th, yes
2016, 9th, yes
2015, 25th, no
2014, 23d, no
2013, 14th, yes
2012, 27th, no
2011, 22d, no
2010, 22d, no
2009, 16th, yes
2008, 9th, yes
2007, 2d, yes
2006, 26th, no
2005, 24th, yes
2004, 11th, yes
2003, 17th, yes
2002, 7th, no

2005 (ERA 24th, yes postseason), and 2002 (ERA 7th, no postseason) are the two exceptions in 20 seasons. I skipped 2020 because I don't think it was a real season. But, FYI, the Sox ERA was 28th and they didn't make it to the postseason.

Max. For the hundreth time I totally agree pitching is the main issue.

That does not mean defense can't have accounted for 8-12 losses and pitching 30-50.

Why are you showing me these numbers? We agree.

BTW, there has been a clear change in the way plays are ruled hits vs errors in 2023, so our ERA would be much better had 20-30 hits been called errors, and it might be more than 30.

dgalehouse
09-06-2023, 12:58 PM

In hindsight, Jansen probably should not have pitched on Sunday. At this point in his career, he probably needs the rest more than he needs the work. But I really can't blame Cora. He can't predict the future and the team is at the point where they need to lock down every win they can.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 01:00 PM
In hindsight, Jansen probably should not have pitched on Sunday. .

BINGO, and someone pointed that out, at the time. We did not need him, that game.

Another ding on Cora.

5GoldGloves:OF,75
09-06-2023, 01:00 PM

Hey -- Johnny Pesky said it makes the beer taste better and that makes the women look better... what are we waiting for!

vegasbob
09-06-2023, 01:42 PM
BINGO, and someone pointed that out, at the time. We did not need him, that game.

Another ding on Cora.

Thanks. That was almost a Capt Obvious call. Why was Jansen used in a game almost anyone else could have closed ? Cora may have thought he needed the work, but also realize Jansen has some leg related issue, hamstring/sore knee ??. AC knew the Rays series was critical.

Bellhorn04
09-06-2023, 01:59 PM
I was perplexed by using Jansen in Sunday's game too, but I have to think the other high-leverage guys were deemed unavailable. Schreiber and Bernardino had already pitched. Winckowski threw 19 pitches the previous game. They've been really careful with Martin.

Could have used one of the low-leverage guys but you know how fast they can cause trouble.

It's definitely one of those things that deserved an explanation. Not sure if Cora was asked about it or not.

Maxbialystock
09-06-2023, 02:04 PM
Max. For the hundreth time I totally agree pitching is the main issue.

That does not mean defense can't have accounted for 8-12 losses and pitching 30-50.

Why are you showing me these numbers? We agree.

BTW, there has been a clear change in the way plays are ruled hits vs errors in 2023, so our ERA would be much better had 20-30 hits been called errors, and it might be more than 30.

No, you don't agree because you insist that ERA's are bunk because fielders make tons of mistakes that aren't counted as errors. You only beat the drum on defense, not on pitching or on hitting.

Maxbialystock
09-06-2023, 03:07 PM

Another ding on Cora.

BINGO my aunt fanny. Before we go after the manager for something he did on Sunday, let's look at what his players did 2 days later in last night's game--

1. Starter Crawford stunk, giving up 5 ER in 3.2 innings.
2. Reliever Jacques did Crawford no favors by coming in with the bases loaded and 2 outs and HBP'ing the first two batters he faced.
3. After that, the bullpen, including Jacques, held the Rays scoreless for 6.1 innings. Fantastic!
4. However, the lineup scored a grand total of 3 earned runs in the game because the other 2 runs occurred because of 2 errors by the Rays.
5. Even with a man on 2d base and no one out in the 10th inning, the Sox failed to score.
6. I did not see Duvall fail to catch something, but did see him make an extremely clutch throw from RF to get the final out in the 10th inning and prevent the Rays from scoring the winning run.
7. Before Jansen gave up that dinger in the 11th, the Sox lineup again failed to bring a man home from 2d base with no one out.

As far as I'm concerned, this loss is on Crawford, Jacques, and, once again, the Sox weak hitting lineup that only scored 3 earned runs and then twice failed to bring a guy home from 2d base in the 10th and 11th innings.

notin
09-06-2023, 03:11 PM
BINGO my aunt fanny. Before we go after the manager for something he did on Sunday, let's look at what his players did 2 days later in last night's game--

2. Reliever Jacques did Crawford no favors by coming in with the bases loaded and 2 outs and HBP'ing the first two batters he faced.
3. After that, the bullpen, including Jacques, held the Rays scoreless for 6.1 innings. Fantastic!
4. However, the lineup scored a grand total of 3 earned runs in the game because the other 2 runs occurred because of 2 errors by the Rays.
5. Even with a man on 2d base and no one out in the 10th inning, the Sox failed to score.
6. I did not see Duvall fail to catch something, but did see him make an extremely clutch throw from RF to get the final out in the 10th inning and prevent the Rays from scoring the winning run.
7. Before Jansen gave up that dinger in the 11th, the Sox lineup again failed to bring a man home from 2d base with no one out.

As far as I'm concerned, this loss is on Crawford, Jacques, and, once again, the Sox weak hitting lineup that only scored 3 earned runs and then twice failed to bring a guy home from 2d base in the 10th and 11th innings.

The Sox scored the ghost runner in the 11th inning…

Maxbialystock
09-06-2023, 03:20 PM
The Sox scored the ghost runner in the 11th inning…

You're absolutely right. How could I forget the magnificent baserunning by Refsnyder going from 2d to 3d on that wild pitch? Or his beautifully timed dash home when the Rays 2d baseman dropped the pop fly? I hereby apologize to the entire Sox lineup for not appreciating their great clutch hitting at the Trop.

P.S. Ghost runner fits.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 03:38 PM
No, you don't agree because you insist that ERA's are bunk because fielders make tons of mistakes that aren't counted as errors. You only beat the drum on defense, not on pitching or on hitting.

I agree that pitching is the main issue- same as you. I've been beating the drum on pitching every year for 50 years, Max.

The reason we did not win, this year, is because we did not add 2 capable SP'ers. We could have won with 2, despite the poor defense.

That does not change the fact or minimize the impact our poor D had on our wins and losses, and be enough that we could have been a contender.

Do you deny less erros are being charged, this year?

Errors called per game:
.060 in '21
.059 in '22
.057 in '23

it's a fact.

It does affect the ERA, but ours would still suck, even with average D- just not as badly.

You seem to deny the chance there could be more than 1 or 2 reasons a team can lose.

Nobody is saying defense is the number one reason. I don't think anyone is saying it's even close to pitching, namely the rotation.

I have posted dozens and dozens of posts about our shitty rotation.

The main reason I have been talking about defense, recently is in response to your denying it has had a significant effect.

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 03:47 PM

Yes seven times. That's why we lost. We also lost because Jansen sucked.

Why do only your reason count and ours go to Aunt Fanny?

We won't know how Jansen might have done had he not pitched on Sunday. That does not mean we can't hypothesis about it.

There are many reasons we lost- one was Jansen.

You bashed me about saying the runs allowed to score because of Duvall's blunder, and now say you did not see it.

Please stop, Max.

All 3 runs scored should have been unearned vs Crawford in that inning. The next 2 were allowed to score by Jacques on HBPs with the bases loaded. I could easly cry, "Send your Craford stunk comment to Uncle Benny!"

notin
09-06-2023, 03:54 PM
You're absolutely right. How could I forget the magnificent baserunning by Refsnyder going from 2d to 3d on that wild pitch? Or his beautifully timed dash home when the Rays 2d baseman dropped the pop fly? I hereby apologize to the entire Sox lineup for not appreciating their great clutch hitting at the Trop.

P.S. Ghost runner fits.

If your gripe is that they didn’t score, the acceptable argument upon being proven wrong is not “but they didn’t score well enough.”

I mean, you’re trying to argue that the offense and not the defense was the problem in a game that went to extra innings after Wilyer Abreu fell down losing a potential inning-ending routine fly ball in the dome roof that went for a run scoring triple and was part of a 3 run inning…

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 04:03 PM
If your gripe is that they didn’t score, the acceptable argument upon being proven wrong is not “but they do isn’t score well enough.”

I mean, you’re trying to argue that the offense and not the defense was the problem in a game that went to extra innings after Wilyer Abreu fell down losing a potential inning-ending routine fly ball in the dome roof that went for a run scoring triple and was part of a 3 run inning…

That's right. It was Abreu not Duvall in CF. My bad.

If they call that an error, like they should, all 3 runs were unearned.

Later, Jacques hits 2 batters with the bases loaded, which adds 2 runs scored to Crawford, and the excuse he lists first is "Crawford sucked."

Okay, he let up the homer before out #4 in the inning. He did not pitch well, but losing is a team event, and defense is part of the team

Maxbialystock
09-06-2023, 04:24 PM

Another ding on Cora.

Meh. Jansen also pitched Monday and was terrific.

Bellhorn04
09-06-2023, 04:29 PM

It is nonetheless worth asking why he was pitching with a 7-1 lead Sunday. I figure the other high-leverage guys must all have been ruled out to avoid overuse.

notin
09-06-2023, 04:41 PM

I questioned using a Jansen in the 7-3 game. I suppose he really did need the work

moonslav59
09-06-2023, 07:08 PM
It is nonetheless worth asking why he was pitching with a 7-1 lead Sunday. I figure the other high-leverage guys must all have been ruled out to avoid overuse.

I realize Cora needs to weigh how important it is to get Jansen some work and if eventually it would get to be so long he might be ineffective in his next game vs maybe needing him 2 games in a row in the following two games.

It's not an easy choice, but it's certainly okay to discuss its merits.

I never said it was a horrible or even a bad mistake. I just mentioned it, because it may have (see emphasis on "may") been a factor in why he pitched poorly, last night.

I'm still a huge Cora fan and rarely question in game decisions. I'm not sure he made a mistake on this one.