PDA

View Full Version : Uh...oh...yanks Get Rj

CrespoBlows
12-16-2004, 09:02 PM
http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-sprandy12...ports-headlines (http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-sprandy1217,0,3877851.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines)

Gertie
12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
I haven't seen anything else about this on ESPN or elsewhere, so until I see that, I'm going to remain skeptical. However, if that IS true, then the Yankees have completely mortgaged their future, by trading the last prospects anyone had any interest in at all.

DOrtiz4prez
12-16-2004, 09:11 PM
It's not even on the Yankees site so I'm not believing it.

YanksHater213
12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
Ill semi believe it. It is a Yankees type move. If it is true, all we can hope for is that Green doesnt waive his no trade clause

CrespoBlows
12-16-2004, 09:13 PM
D-backs got ripped

schillingouttheks
12-16-2004, 09:39 PM
i just saw on that little bar on the bottom of the espn screen (the bottomline they call it) that the yankees have agreed to a principle on a 3-team trade that includes the dodgers, yankees and d-backs, the little scroll bar thing says its from NEWSDAY.

props to whoever called this.

yankees get RJ (SHIT) :angry:
dodgers get vazquez, navarro, and eric duncan (3B)
d-backs get shawn green, brad penny, yhency brazoban (P)

yeszir
12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
I just merged topics and moved them to general baseball. :(

schillingouttheks
12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
o my b...didnt see the threads about it already being made.

schillingouttheks
12-16-2004, 09:43 PM
o well, at least i started mine in the correct forum :harhar:

yeszir
12-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Of course Pedro and Randy miss each other by a year, Seeing them square off Sox v. Yanks would be something special, thats for sure.

DOrtiz4prez
12-16-2004, 09:46 PM
I have been looking on all kinds of sites and still haven't seen anything beside newsday. I'm still not sure...

schillingouttheks
12-16-2004, 09:47 PM
its because sites are probably updating as we speak?

and ESPN SPORTSCENTER is going to talk about it.

i believe it if ESPN talks about it.

DOrtiz4prez
12-16-2004, 09:48 PM
But didn't it say that it was according to Newsweek which means they don't actually know yet. All I know is that I'm definitely watching sportscenter.

Yankeesin05
12-16-2004, 10:02 PM
yankees, dodgers, and d-backs in a 3 way deal, sendind rj to ny...its official! :thumbsup:

element1151
12-16-2004, 10:03 PM
It is on MLB.com, surprised it isn't on the Yanks site.

papi4prez
12-16-2004, 10:19 PM
i think im sad

papi4prez
12-16-2004, 10:22 PM
i dont see anything official, it looks like its just almost official...im watachin sportscenter

papi4prez
12-16-2004, 10:24 PM
on the bottom line it said that newsday reported it but thats not really new news.... i still wont believe it

Sox fan in Tex
12-16-2004, 11:23 PM
no, it's true alright. and the reason is isn't on yankees.com is because they along with all other MLB official sites are slow to update.

Yanksin2010
12-16-2004, 11:39 PM
yankees.com (http://www.yankees.com)

Choke on this:

1. Johnson
2. Mussina
3. Pavano
4. Wright
5. Brown

RedSoxRooter
12-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Ehh. I'm not too worried.

1. Johnson VS Schilling (fun to watch, slight edge to Johnson)
2. Mussina VS (*other - Burnett? Not sure yet) - edge Yankees
3. Pavano VS Wells - even, both will post low 4 ERAs
4. Wright - Wakefield - even, both will post mid 4 ERAs
5. Brown - Arroyo - edge Arroyo

ahhchon
12-17-2004, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Dec 17 2004, 12:22 AM
Ehh. I'm not too worried.

1. Johnson VS Schilling (fun to watch, slight edge to Johnson)
2. Mussina VS (*other - Burnett? Not sure yet) - edge Yankees
3. Pavano VS Wells - even, both will post low 4 ERAs
4. Wright - Wakefield - even, both will post mid 4 ERAs
5. Brown - Arroyo - edge Arroyo
my god you are biased:

johnson literally shuts down ortiz and nixon. his slider totally destroyes lefties. he's only still throwing 98 mph. johnson > schilling.

in the years to come aj burnett > mussina if he can stay healthy and develop. for now mussina has the edge.

pavano > wells @ fenway, at yankee stadium it gets a big closer but pavano still has the edge.

wright and wakefield- it's tough to say. i would have to say even, wakefield, when on is simply unhittable. but when there is any sort of rotation on that knuckeball he's SCREWED.

brown is better than arroyo when he's healthy, how can you even give bronson the edge? brown has posted sub 3 era's multiple times and even a SUB TWO era. granted he's not the same as he was in the mid 90's he is still a force @ the 5 spot. bronson has that breaking ball that doesn't always break. the yankees clobber him.

face it, their staff with johnson completely dominates ours. it's not even close.

john

mosox
12-17-2004, 11:20 AM
Some things can still hold this up include the Dodgers having second thoughts after losing Beltre, Green not waiving his "no trade" clause, Penny passing a physical, and the DBacks wanting someone to pick up part of Green's salary.

elsrbueno
12-17-2004, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by mosox@Dec 17 2004, 11:20 AM
Some things can still hold this up include the Dodgers having second thoughts after losing Beltre, Green not waiving his "no trade" clause, Penny passing a physical, and the DBacks wanting someone to pick up part of Green's salary.
At this point, that's all we can hope for. A Yankee Rotation with Johnson in it is DEFINATELY far superior to ours.

And to get Burnett the Sox would probably have to give up Arroyo.

Unfortunately it looks like MAYBE Clement in that #2 spot.... and that scares me.

CrespoBlows
12-17-2004, 12:57 PM
Not yet

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947995

element1151
12-17-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by mosox@Dec 17 2004, 08:20 AM
Dodgers having second thoughts after losing Beltre
Thank you Mariners if that is true!!!

YANKEESRULE
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
They've been reporting that since last night. You know how MLB teams like to not comment or make people thinks something else. I dunno why, maybe they don't want to get people's hopes up. It's on the Yankee website, so the deal excists. I think Green will agree, because is old agent is the Diamonbacks CEO. It just not gonna happen overnight, I think by this time next week, it will be official, then they can go after Beltran. Yankees in '05

yankeessuck013
12-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Much to consider, re the POSSIBLE RJ trade...

a) The trade still needs to be completed--the Dodgers will hold up the NYY for a large part of Vazquez' salary...Green appears to want to stay in LA and has a No Trade clause (is his agent still Jeff Moorad, the individual currently running the DBacks? Is this a conflict?)...everyone has to pass physicals...this will take a bit of doing.

B) NYY WON the AL East last season--the ONLY 2004 Pennant that will be flown in the Bronx. If RJ is a Yankee and STILL pitching complete games in the 2005 ALCS, God Bless him and shame on Joe Torre...a relief apperance notwithstanding, but would they push Rivera to the side?

c) Theo and trio aren't done yet--and I'd rather be future-proofed than completely empty out the farm system. The Yankees have opted to sell out their future. If RJ, 41 or 42 yr old, gets injured during the season, the NYY will have nothing in the cupboard.

The Hot Stove season is FAR more interesting as defending World Champs, no?

yankeessuck013
12-17-2004, 07:25 PM
and official STEINBRENNER IS A FAG!

"It finally took a three-way for us to grasp the Big Unit, but now that we
have Johnson, our holes are filled."-georgie porgie

yeszir
12-17-2004, 11:23 PM
It still isn't worked out yet:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/arti...nt_for_johnson/ (http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2004/12/17/hurdles_remain_in_yanks_hunt_for_johnson/)

There is hope!

YanksHater213
12-17-2004, 11:28 PM
Or has it: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1947995

12-19-2004, 11:09 AM
No. RJ will be a yankee in a matter of days.

Yanksin2010
12-19-2004, 01:40 PM
All thats left are physicals to take, and the Selig's approval.

schillingouttheks
12-19-2004, 06:34 PM
lol, yea...the yankees did well in this,

however their future was blown to hell by trading any interest anyone had left in their farm system away...

but they always spend for the present, nvm the future lol.

thats what does make the yankees compete every year, its only what i wish we could do every year.

Yankeesin05
12-19-2004, 06:46 PM
The Red Sox could do that every year......but they dont.

Baseball is an open market, any team can spend any cost to get anyone the want.
Its up to the Owners to decide if they want to make better profit, or win more then anything. Red Sox do have a healthy payroll, its not like you guys are the Marlins w/ a $50m payroll, You guys have all of New England, which is a large area.

George spends a lot of money because he desires to win. Henry could do the same, but he chooses that he wants o make more profit, rather then spending the money to make the team better.

George spends his own money to make the Yankees a better organisation because he loves them more then anything, he's been like that since the 70's.

12-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Yankeesin05@Dec 19 2004, 06:46 PM

Its up to the Owners to decide if they want to make better profit, or win more then anything. Red Sox do have a healthy payroll, its not like you guys are the Marlins w/ a $50m payroll, You guys have all of New England, which is a large area.

George spends a lot of money because he desires to win. Henry could do the same, but he chooses that he wants o make more profit, rather then spending the money to make the team better.

George spends his own money to make the Yankees a better organisation because he loves them more then anything, he's been like that since the 70's.
don't worry, the Sox fans will say some thing along the lines of;

We can't afford the big names, we have no revenue and we are such a small market. We make almost nothing on merchandise and ticket sales, we can't spend it.

:rolleyes:

schillingouttheks
12-19-2004, 06:54 PM
your bias and inaccurate assumption of us as fans makes u sound pathetic.

we would rather take a WS in a couple years and having a future by mkaing more money than busting our banks in the market in one year.

12-19-2004, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by schillingouttheks@Dec 19 2004, 06:54 PM
your bias and inaccurate assumption of us as fans makes u sound pathetic.

we would rather take a WS in a couple years and having a future by mkaing more money than busting our banks in the market in one year.
Noble of Henry and company to get rid of all the players from before their reign of ownership (Lowe, Pedro, Nomar, and now possibly Varitek) :rolleyes:

schillingouttheks
12-19-2004, 10:53 PM
ok...

they didnt get RID of pedro, he left to some crazy offer from the mets. i wish him luck.

lowe, good riddance, and besides, last time i checked, being a FA wasnt ownership getting rid of a player.

varitek, hes a fa, and we are workng on him. i wouldnt be surprised if he left but i still think theres a good chance we get him back.

nomar...well what he wanted wasnt worth it, plus his achilles injury. i hope he does well in chicago and fines a place that he will do well in.

ownership isnt trying to get RID of anyone...in fact, with the exception of nomar and lowe, we are trying to get everyone BACK. pedro went somewhere else and now we are working hard on tek. what can u ask for?

elsrbueno
12-20-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by 2090+Dec 19 2004, 06:48 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2090 @ Dec 19 2004, 06:48 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Yankeesin05@Dec 19 2004, 06:46 PM

Its up to the Owners to decide if they want to make better profit, or win more then anything. Red Sox do have a healthy payroll, its not like you guys are the Marlins w/ a &#036;50m payroll, You guys have all of New England, which is a large area.

George spends his own money to make the Yankees a better organisation because he loves them more then anything, he&#39;s been like that since the 70&#39;s.
don&#39;t worry, the Sox fans will say some thing along the lines of;

We can&#39;t afford the big names, we have no revenue and we are such a small market. We make almost nothing on merchandise and ticket sales, we can&#39;t spend it.

:rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
While Yankeesin05 has a very good point, 2090 makes all Yankee fans look bad.

The Yankees DO bring in more revenue than any other team. With the YES Network, and Yankee stadium being almost twice the capacity, more worldwide fan base, etc, etc.

Does that mean the Red Sox can&#39;t spend more than they do? No. But the Red Sox will not be able to spend what the Yankees do on players because they simply don&#39;t have the same amount of revenue.

What&#39;s the difference between the Red Sox and Yankees right now?

Henry runs the Red Sox as a businessman.

Steinbrenner runs the Yankees as a fan.