PDA

View Full Version : Nick Pivetta just set a Red Sox record with 13 strikeouts in relief

Dojji
07-17-2023, 11:06 PM
Breaking a long standing record is worth breaking out into a thread for its own recognition. He just out the entire bullpen on his back and made a bullpen game into a nonproblem.

moonslav59
07-17-2023, 11:55 PM
I think his 8th straight Ks was a Sox record in relief, as well.

Jasonbay44
07-18-2023, 12:00 AM
The fact he allowed 0 hits is also pretty amazing too. I know it was Oakland but it’s not like this happens to them every night.

moonslav59
07-18-2023, 12:00 AM
I think we just rediscovered our 4th starter.

If Sale ever comes back, we can move 2 from Whitlock, Houck or Crawford back to the pen.

Some posters is predicting Kluber rejoins the rotation and thrives. If that happens, we may have the best and or deepest Sox pen, ever!

Jansen
Martin
Schreiber
Houck (or Pivetta)
Whitlcok
Winckowski
Crawford
Bernardino

Dojji
07-18-2023, 12:02 AM
I think you kinda have to let Kutter pitch his way out of the rotation. Good problem to have. Especially if we don't have to lean on Pivetta to be a stealth starter and can hold him in reserve if a starter has a rough outing.

mvp 78
07-18-2023, 07:18 AM
Bernardino should be DFA'd for ruining the no-no.

mvp 78
07-18-2023, 07:18 AM
I think you kinda have to let Kutter pitch his way out of the rotation. Good problem to have. Especially if we don't have to lean on Pivetta to be a stealth starter and can hold him in reserve if a starter has a rough outing.

They kinda don't have a choice since they don't have anyone else to start.

moonslav59
07-18-2023, 08:19 AM
They kinda don't have a choice since they don't have anyone else to start.

Read the post before his. I think he was responding to it.

notin
07-18-2023, 10:02 AM
Pivetta might be pitching himself back into the rotation…

notin
07-18-2023, 10:02 AM
The fact he allowed 0 hits is also pretty amazing too. I know it was Oakland but it’s not like this happens to them every night.

But twice in 3 weeks is a bit frequent…

mvp 78
07-18-2023, 10:15 AM

He basically is in the rotation, they are just using an opener.

Dojji
07-18-2023, 10:31 AM

I'd say don't fix what ain't broke. Let bernardino play opener and keep Pivetta in this unique little role he's carved out for himself. Between them they just ate almost an entire bullpen game and we're going into tonight's game with a bunch of rested arms, which isn't where I think we all thought we'd be

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
07-18-2023, 12:07 PM
SOX are taking a serious look at Michael Lorenzen of the Tigers. He's started 16 games and his ERA is 3.75 with a WHIP of 1.13. His remaining contract amount is a little over 4 mil, which would still keep the SOX under the luxury tax. Stay tuned.
Btw, Lorenzen also has 6 years of experience as a reliever. His lifetime BP ERA is 3.63. Seems like those tires should be kicked.

Dojji
07-18-2023, 12:16 PM
SOX are taking a serious look at Michael Lorenzen of the Tigers. He's started 16 games and his ERA is 3.75 with a WHIP of 1.13. His remaining contract amount is a little over 4 mil, which would still keep the SOX under the luxury tax. Stay tuned.
Btw, Lorenzen also has 6 years of experience as a reliever. His lifetime BP ERA is 3.63. Seems like those tires should be kicked.

Wrong thread :)

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
07-18-2023, 12:18 PM
Wrong thread :)

Not really. Just responding to the post about moving Pivetta back to starting.

5GoldGloves:OF,75
07-18-2023, 12:23 PM

Career OPS .710 -- better than Arroyo, Wong, McGuire, Alfaro, Ref, Reyes, Chang (Kike's .719)...

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
07-18-2023, 12:26 PM
Career OPS .710 -- better than Arroyo, Wong, McGuire, Alfaro, Ref, Reyes, Chang (Kike's .719)...

Are we talking about a poor man's Ohtani?

Dojji
07-18-2023, 12:29 PM

Averaging nearly 6 innings per start has my undivided attention. Lorenzen is at 5.85 IP/G Man eats innings like they're in the office candy dish.

illinoisredsox
07-18-2023, 12:40 PM
I think his 8th straight Ks was a Sox record in relief, as well.

Near as I can tell, he also tied the consecutive strikeout record by any pitcher that was set by Roger Clemens in his first 20 strikeout game.

Multiple Sox pitchers combined to strike out 11 straight Rays a few years ago.

notin
07-18-2023, 12:45 PM
Averaging nearly 6 innings per start has my undivided attention. Lorenzen is at 5.85 IP/G Man eats innings like they're in the office candy dish.

Are you calling him fat? ;)

Dojji
07-18-2023, 12:50 PM
His skin is rich.

notin
07-18-2023, 12:52 PM
Are we talking about a poor man's Ohtani?

More like a homeless man’s Ohtani…

notin
07-18-2023, 12:53 PM
His skin is rich.

That just sounds oddly cannibalistic…

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
07-18-2023, 01:48 PM
More like a homeless man’s Ohtani…

Here's a question for you, Notin. Could you see the Yankems trading Judge to the Angels for Ohtani? Obviously, Judge would have to be off the IL before the TDL.

mvp 78
07-18-2023, 01:50 PM
Here's a question for you, Notin. Could you see the Yankems trading Judge to the Angels for Ohtani? Obviously, Judge would have to be off the IL before the TDL.

No.

Dojji
07-18-2023, 02:04 PM

ROFL the Angels wouldn't touch that.

notin
07-18-2023, 02:11 PM

There is a greater chance of myself being cast to play Little Orphan Annie in the next two Star Wars sequels.

The Yankees just signed Judge to a huge contract, which, if the Angels could afford, would equate to a substantial down payment on Ohtani. Not to mention, the Yankees seem unlikely to go for a short term solution for a team with nothing but long term problems. Because dgalehouse was right; without Judge the Yankees are not a playoff team…

Dojji
07-18-2023, 02:32 PM
There is a greater chance of myself being cast to play Little Orphan Annie in the next two Star Wars sequels.

The Yankees just signed Judge to a huge contract, which, if the Angels could afford, would equate to a substantial down payment on Ohtani. Not to mention, the Yankees seem unlikely to go for a short term solution for a team with nothing but long term problems. Because dgalehouse was right; without Judge the Yankees are not a playoff team…

Not to mention, Aaron Judge is 31 years old. The Angels are not close to being a force in the AL West. He's the last thing the Angels need right now.

notin
07-18-2023, 02:39 PM
Not to mention, Aaron Judge is 31 years old. The Angels are not close to being a force in the AL West. He's the last thing the Angels need right now.

Unless they think Anthony Rendon is lonely in the Upper Upper Class section of the Injured List…

Maxbialystock
07-18-2023, 03:08 PM
I think we just rediscovered our 4th starter.

If Sale ever comes back, we can move 2 from Whitlock, Houck or Crawford back to the pen.

Some posters is predicting Kluber rejoins the rotation and thrives. If that happens, we may have the best and or deepest Sox pen, ever!

Jansen
Martin
Schreiber
Houck (or Pivetta)
Whitlcok
Winckowski
Crawford
Bernardino

I'm the one predicting Kluber, but I'm only citing stuff from the Red Sox site on mlb.com. Reportedly, he had a terrific bullpen session of just 30 pitches. And I cited that article because the news on Sale, Houck, and Whitlock is same-old, same-old: no earlier than August and maybe September.

Or put it this way. If Crawford has in fact found himself and if the same applies to Pivetta as a "bullpen starter," then Bello, Paxton, Crawford, and Pivetta might already be the best Sox rotation since, what, 2019?

Plus let's not forget that neither Houck nor Whitlock has been all that good at starting. Sale did have maybe 8 pretty good starts this season, but in the other 3 he gave up 7, 5, and 5 runs. Based on starts going back to 2017 when he faded in August/September, the truth is that he is as fragile as any pitcher I can remember.

So, realistically, waiting and hoping for the return of Sale, Houck, Whitlock, and Kluber is like waiting for godot.

Better is to keep the four healthy ones and trade the other four (if only they were tradeable).

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
07-18-2023, 04:02 PM

My thought was that by trading Judge would free up money for the Yankems to re-sign Ohtani for whatever years. Also, the 200 million the Angels would save by obtaining Judge would help them financially. Of course, the other option for the Angels is to keep Ohtani and unload Trout. Good luck with unloading oft injured Trout.

Hugh2
07-18-2023, 04:07 PM
My thought was that by trading Judge would free up money for the Yankems to re-sign Ohtani for whatever years. Also, the 200 million the Angels would save by obtaining Judge would help them financially. Of course, the other option for the Angels is to keep Ohtani and unload Trout.

Ohtani has said “I’m tired of losing” recently, he’s obviously unhappy in LA and if there was a sliver of a chance he’d resign there trading Trout wouldn’t help.

They are not retaining him. He wants out.

SPLENDIDSPLINTER
07-18-2023, 04:14 PM
Ohtani has said “I’m tired of losing” recently, he’s obviously unhappy in LA and if there was a sliver of a chance he’d resign there trading Trout wouldn’t help.

They are not retaining him. He wants out.

I agree 100%. That was the whole point of my half-baked post. It would be advantageous for the Angels to trade Ohtani and get something than have him walk at the end of the season and get nothing.

Dojji
07-18-2023, 04:53 PM
Why do I have this weird feeling that Ohtani is going to go to the Mariners and wreck his arm within 2 months of arriving?

Bellhorn04
07-18-2023, 05:37 PM
Why do I have this weird feeling that Ohtani is going to go to the Mariners and wreck his arm within 2 months of arriving?

You might be the only one who can answer that.