PDA

View Full Version : Listened To Pedey on WEEI annmnnnnnd

Swiharts Ghost
11-13-2019, 12:08 PM
He was given terrible advice on how to load his Knee after micro fracture which has put off strengthening the cartilage to support and actually strengthen the knee .Pedey sounds reserved on prognosis this time but the words he used tells me ......I’m completely wrong at burying him as a player .Pedey will comeback and be damn good .Yes this is a 180 from my post but I haven’t heard from the man himself and never expected to hear what he’s had to do to get back .Hes AMAZING .I am an idiot .Go Pedey !!!!!!

mvp 78
11-13-2019, 12:09 PM
Over/under 9.5 Games Played in 2020.

notin
11-13-2019, 12:15 PM

Are we counting pinch-hitting appearances as a game played?

Bellhorn04
11-13-2019, 12:22 PM
Are we counting pinch-hitting appearances as a game played?

Make it games started.

Swiharts Ghost
11-13-2019, 12:31 PM
Pedey plays a good 50 plus games .We win the Division and Pedey gets the key hit to win the World Series .

kenmeister
11-13-2019, 12:34 PM
Even if Pedey is on the field, he'll be a ghost of his former self. Sorry for the buzzkill.

notin
11-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Even if Pedey is on the field, he'll be a ghost of his former self. Sorry for the buzzkill.

Of course he will. He’s 36 years old.

He doesn’t need to be as good as the 2007 version of Pedroia. He just needs to be better than the 2020 versions of Marco Hernandez, Tzu-Wei Lin and Michael Chavis...

Swiharts Ghost
11-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Not what I’m hearing .I respectfully disagree .Please listen to WEEI interview and then judge it .I have made my case and believe he’s back .I buried him yesterday .I know he’s back .

kenmeister
11-13-2019, 12:40 PM
He just needs to be better than the 2020 versions of Marco Hernandez, Tzu-Wei Lin and Michael Chavis...

Excellent point. Let the competition begin!

Slasher9
11-13-2019, 01:05 PM

under. shoebox bet.

oldtimer
11-13-2019, 01:08 PM
Not what I’m hearing .I respectfully disagree .Please listen to WEEI interview and then judge it .I have made my case and believe he’s back .I buried him yesterday .I know he’s back .

I'd be willing to sell you the Brooklyn bridge at a good price.

Swiharts Ghost
11-13-2019, 02:31 PM
I'd be willing to sell you the Brooklyn bridge at a good price.

Pedey Plays in 50 games in 2020 or I ban myself all next offseason until opening day ...any one else care to match ?

Bellhorn04
11-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Pedey Plays in 50 games in 2020 or I ban myself all next offseason until opening day ...any one else care to match ?

But that would be punishing us too. :( :D

Slasher9
11-13-2019, 02:55 PM
he's played in 9 games total the last 2 full seasons. there isn't a chance in hell he plays 50 games in 2020.

moonslav59
11-13-2019, 03:34 PM
he's played in 9 games total the last 2 full seasons. there isn't a chance in hell he plays 50 games in 2020.

The odds must be better for 0.5 than 50.

mvp 78
11-13-2019, 03:56 PM

I’m your huckleberry.

Swiharts Ghost
11-13-2019, 04:29 PM
I’m your huckleberry.

Welcome to the water it’s warm .Goodluck my fellow Redox compadre.The self ban competition is on.The games are regular season total count 50 spring training does not count .I realize it’s a leap of faith to believe he can accomplish it .....don’t care it’s worth it .

jacksonianmarch
11-13-2019, 05:23 PM
Don’t want you to self ban. No way. You love Pedey and that’s cool. Pedey’s mind may be right, but his body isn’t. He’s getting hope, and that’s cool, but it’s likely a false hope. If he comes back, I’ll root for him to play well enough to lose every game

Bellhorn04
11-13-2019, 05:29 PM
Welcome to the water it’s warm .Goodluck my fellow Redox compadre.The self ban competition is on.The games are regular season total count 50 spring training does not count .I realize it’s a leap of faith to believe he can accomplish it .....don’t care it’s worth it .

Self banning is not a good thing to bet. Sig line is better.

Elktonnick
11-13-2019, 05:29 PM
No one wants Pedey to succeed more than I. While I won't bet against him, he does face long odds. And he has earned the right to try. If Bloom at Henry's direction does trade off key players, Pedey's comeback attempt may well be the only thing that keeps a significant number of Sox fans watching the games.

cp176
11-13-2019, 06:53 PM
No one wants Pedey to succeed more than I. While I won't bet against him, he does face long odds. And he has earned the right to try. If Bloom at Henry's direction does trade off key players, Pedey's comeback attempt may well be the only thing that keeps a significant number of Sox fans watching the games.

You know that it would be easy for me to say that I lost a great deal of respect for him after he made his statements seen by us all but I'm not really sure that I ever had a great deal of respect for him in the first place. He played hard - He played hurt - he played his ass off - thank you, I appreciated what he did for us greatly but I don't know him. Outside of baseball, since I don't know him, I really haven't fallen in love with the guy. If he is able to come back effectively which I highly don't, He likely would solidify us defensively but I wouldn't expect much at all from him at the plate. He has just been away too long.

Swiharts Ghost
11-13-2019, 07:42 PM
Ok let's get this out the way now .Pedey is better at 70 percent by a mile over anyone we have .I will ban myself from posting because I hear real confidence in him now not puffed up bull shit .

fxkatt
11-13-2019, 07:47 PM
Pedey Dh, Martinez to first or traded... save the knees.

But his personal doctor wd be the best prognosticator of his baseball future--along of course with Pedey own input.

moonslav59
11-13-2019, 08:05 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's just a tiny chance Pedey can give us anything significant.

Larry Cook
11-13-2019, 10:46 PM
Stick a fork in him, he is done.

illinoisredsox
11-13-2019, 10:50 PM
Stick a fork in him, he is done.

Still waiting on that proof that Pedroia fractured the 2017 locker room and ruined the season.

Bellhorn04
11-14-2019, 07:50 AM
Still waiting on that proof that Pedroia fractured the 2017 locker room and ruined the season.

You'll get nothing from Late Night Larry.

notin
11-14-2019, 07:56 AM

While Larry cannot prove Pedroia fractured the clubhouse that year, he does not exonerate him either...

Bellhorn04
11-14-2019, 08:01 AM
While Larry cannot prove Pedroia fractured the clubhouse that year, he does not exonerate him either...

I don't understand.

notin
11-14-2019, 08:06 AM
I don't understand.

It’s taken from the last line of the Muller Report.

Bellhorn04
11-14-2019, 08:07 AM
It’s taken from the last line of the Muller Report.

Got it.

Slasher9
11-14-2019, 08:08 AM
if he can't play 2b he is pretty much useless. i dont think we will be seeing the "lazer show" on offense from him anymore so not thrilled about the prospect of a punch & judy DH....

notin
11-14-2019, 08:38 AM
if he can't play 2b he is pretty much useless. i dont think we will be seeing the "lazer show" on offense from him anymore so not thrilled about the prospect of a punch & judy DH....

He’s not going to DH.

If he plays, it will be 2b. He won’t be the Laser Show anymore, but all he has to be is better than Marco Hernandez, Tzu-Wei Lin and Michael Chavis. He may or may not be able to do even that...

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 08:53 AM
He’s not going to DH.

If he plays, it will be 2b. He won’t be the Laser Show anymore, but all he has to be is better than Marco Hernandez, Tzu-Wei Lin and Michael Chavis. He may or may not be able to do even that...

If, by some miracle, he comes back and plays a lot, I think his bat may be okay. I'm worried more about his range and ability to turn the DP.

kenmeister
11-14-2019, 09:55 AM
I just read an article about Dustin Pedroia. The Sox are hoping he can play 80-110 games as the DH. They have no plans to play Dustin in the field. Hopefully this means that, finally, JD will learn first base.

notin
11-14-2019, 10:08 AM
I just read an article about Dustin Pedroia. The Sox are hoping he can play 80-110 games as the DH. They have no plans to play Dustin in the field. Hopefully this means that, finally, JD will learn first base.

Or JD is heading to the outfield, where he has lots of experence...

Elktonnick
11-14-2019, 10:10 AM

I really do not understand why JDM seems to be reluctant to try 1st. I could be wrong but has he ever expressed any imterest in playing 1st.

notin
11-14-2019, 10:11 AM
I really do not understand why JDM seems to be reluctant to try 1st. I could be wrong but has he ever expressed any imterest in playing 1st.

But who says he is reluctant? Maybe the whole situation has never come up

Elktonnick
11-14-2019, 10:16 AM
He may not be I know he still considers himself to be a viable outfielder. I just haven't heard that he has indicated any interest in 1st. And I wonder why.?

notin
11-14-2019, 10:21 AM
He may not be I know he still considers himself to be a viable outfielder. I just haven't heard that he has indicated any interest in 1st. And I wonder why.?

One very likely possibility is it has never come up anywhere but this message board.

don't forget. Mitch Moreland was on board long before JD was a member of the Red Sox. Why would it have come up in the media?

bkzwhitestrican
11-14-2019, 10:26 AM
I think the over/under for games he plays in this year is 0.5

I'd take the under, but it would be cool to see him out there again playing decent ball after everything that's happened.

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 10:36 AM

This means we should trade JD, assuming the impossible happens and Pedey DHs 80+ games.

JD should not play defense- anywhere but in NL parks.

Bellhorn04
11-14-2019, 10:41 AM
This means we should trade JD, assuming the impossible happens and Pedey DHs 80+ games.

Either that or he really should get to work on his first base skills.

Elktonnick
11-14-2019, 10:43 AM

One very likely possibility is it has never come up anywhere but this message board.

don't forget. Mitch Moreland was on board long before JD was a member of the Red Sox. Why would it have come up in the media?

Good point

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Either that or he really should get to work on his first base skills.

He'll get hurt in ST'ing just trying to squat for a low throw.

(I'm not joking, here.)

notin
11-14-2019, 11:01 AM

Maybe the plan is to have Pedroia DH in NL parks.. ;)

Slasher9
11-14-2019, 11:18 AM
punch & judy DH. no thanks.
again, the fact that the manager of the Red Sox has not had JD take some reps at 1b for the past 2 years - especially last spring - is negligence.
people can argue this all they want but every year we need someone that wasn't in the original "plan" to play games at 1b. why not have a guy already on the payroll that has gone on record he likes playing in the field take reps at the position during ST???? negligence.

illinoisredsox
11-14-2019, 11:40 AM
You'll get nothing from Late Night Larry.

Oh, I know that. But it's fun to try and poke him.

notin
11-14-2019, 11:50 AM
punch & judy DH. no thanks.
again, the fact that the manager of the Red Sox has not had JD take some reps at 1b for the past 2 years - especially last spring - is negligence.
people can argue this all they want but every year we need someone that wasn't in the original "plan" to play games at 1b. why not have a guy already on the payroll that has gone on record he likes playing in the field take reps at the position during ST???? negligence.

Last year, the Sox entered spring training with Moreland, Pearce and Holt all guaranteed spots on the MLB roster. And even Christian Vazquez had a small amount of experience at 1b (granted a single game, but it was a very, very long World Series game). And that's before getting into the minor leaguers, like Chavis and Travis.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it negligence. The Sox had to use Vazquez at 2B last year. Was it negligence that they had no one else take reps there as well?

Bellhorn04
11-14-2019, 12:01 PM
Last year, the Sox entered spring training with Moreland, Pearce and Holt all guaranteed spots on the MLB roster. And even Christian Vazquez had a small amount of experience at 1b (granted a single game, but it was a very, very long World Series game). And that's before getting into the minor leaguers, like Chavis and Travis.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it negligence. The Sox had to use Vazquez at 2B last year. Was it negligence that they had no one else take reps there as well?

JD has played 800 games in the outfield and 0 at first base. There may be a reason for that. I'm sure it has crossed people's minds before this.

Slasher9
11-14-2019, 12:19 PM
The Sox had to use Vazquez at 2B last year. Was it negligence that they had no one else take reps there as well?

yes

5GoldGloves:OF,75
11-14-2019, 01:16 PM
JD played four games at first base in his first year in the pros. He made two errors in four games -- that's a pace of 81 errors in a 162-game season.

Either he's afraid of playing there or they're afraid of him playing there.

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 02:26 PM
JD played four games at first base in his first year in the pros. He made two errors in four games -- that's a pace of 81 errors in a 162-game season.

Or both, plus I'm terrified, but I know that doesn't count for jack.

Slasher9
11-14-2019, 02:31 PM
thats why it should be looked at in ST. last season. and this season. and the past 2 offseason.
i bet our new HoBO will make sure it happens this spring. sig bet anyone?

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 02:39 PM
thats why it should be looked at in ST. last season. and this season. and the past 2 offseason.
i bet our new HoBO will make sure it happens this spring. sig bet anyone?

When JD gets hurt playing 1B, will you be around to defend the move?

Slasher9
11-14-2019, 02:43 PM
When JD gets hurt playing 1B, will you be around to defend the move?

yes. i'm not going anywhere?
also, even IF he does get hurt...that does not mean it was a wrong move.

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 02:57 PM
yes. i'm not going anywhere?
also, even IF he does get hurt...that does not mean it was a wrong move.

The move certainly increases the odds.

(I know you aren't going anywhere, but yes, if he gets hurt- it's all your fault!)

:p

Slasher9
11-14-2019, 03:14 PM
The move certainly increases the odds.

(I know you aren't going anywhere, but yes, if he gets hurt- it's all your fault!)

:p

deal. but if he pulls a hammie or tweaks his back chasing down a flyball in the OF then im coming for you!

mvp 78
11-14-2019, 04:03 PM

Mr No Fun has entered the chat.

Swiharts Ghost
11-14-2019, 04:43 PM
I'd rather pencil Pedey or Vaz in CF than to see JD touch a glove for the remainder of his tenure in Boston ...I think Pedey has better range I'm not kidding .

Bellhorn04
11-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Mr No Fun has entered the chat.

Well, I don't really want you to self-ban. You're here rarely enough now as it is. :cool:

vegasbob
11-14-2019, 05:21 PM

To be a great hitter you need quick hands with the bat, which JD may well have. To play first base you need quick hands to handle rocket shots down the line and scoop skipping incoming low throws. My guess is that JD does not have quick fielding hands, only hitting hands. His history in the outfield would seem to indicate a degree of awkwardness, slow feet and not so quick reaction time. Let him be a great DH like Ortiz, while he's here.

oldtimer
11-14-2019, 06:31 PM
If, by some miracle, he comes back and plays a lot, I think his bat may be okay. I'm worried more about his range and ability to turn the DP.

I am hoping that the Sox move ahead with developing a full time second baseman. There has been enough drama with Pedey for the last two years. Keep him arou nd on the 40 man but don't rely on him.

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 07:51 PM
deal. but if he pulls a hammie or tweaks his back chasing down a flyball in the OF then im coming for you!

No. I want him only DH'ing with maybe a handful of games in the OF at NL parks.

moonslav59
11-14-2019, 07:57 PM
I am hoping that the Sox move ahead with developing a full time second baseman. There has been enough drama with Pedey for the last two years. Keep him arou nd on the 40 man but don't rely on him.

Exactly.

The Sox should not, and I believe will not plan on 1 inning from Pedey. If he plays, then so be it.

We will not trade Chatham, Marco or Lin. I'm not sure if they seriously see Chavis as a long term 2B option, but in my opinion, his bat does not support him playing 1B, so maybe 2B is his best shot.

11-14-2019, 09:00 PM
To be a great hitter you need quick hands with the bat, which JD may well have. To play first base you need quick hands to handle rocket shots down the line and scoop skipping incoming low throws. My guess is that JD does not have quick fielding hands, only hitting hands. His history in the outfield would seem to indicate a degree of awkwardness, slow feet and not so quick reaction time. Let him be a great DH like Ortiz, while he's here.

Agreed. When a defender chases down fly balls, he usually uses foot speed to get to the ball and then sure hands to catch it. What is underrated about playing first base as opposed to outfield is that quick and coordinated feet often have to work in unison with quick and coordinated hands. Getting in position to field relays from right and center, and then making throws with your back to the plate is a big responsibility, too. Drummers would make good first basemen, from kicking pedals and flipping sticks at the same time.

Slasher9
11-15-2019, 07:58 AM
No. I want him only DH'ing with maybe a handful of games in the OF at NL parks.

and how is this different then how i want him playing 1b in NL parks????

Bellhorn04
11-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Like it or not, 1B is a change of positions involving different physical demands. He's never played there, not a single MLB game. Maybe he has been asked and has indicated that it's a bad idea.

notin
11-15-2019, 08:20 AM

Didn’t you see Moneyball? When Billy Beane is telling Scott Hatteburg he is going to play 1b.

“It’s not that hard, Scott. Tell him”.

“It’s incredibly hard.”

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 10:22 AM
Just put him at 2b. Moose and Shaw were able to do it.

kenmeister
11-15-2019, 10:29 AM
Didn’t you see Moneyball? When Billy Beane is telling Scott Hatteburg he is going to play 1b.

“It’s incredibly hard.”

I hope they at least try, because putting JD at first solves so many problems. If he's squeezed out of DH by Pedroia, they'll be tempted to put him in left field with Beni switching to center. And then we still don't have a first baseman.

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 10:32 AM
If Pedey is DH only, release him.

notin
11-15-2019, 11:16 AM
If Pedey is DH only, release him.

And what does that accomplish?

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 11:19 AM
And what does that accomplish?

Open roster spot for someone that can actually play. If Pedey is DH only, he’s a AAAA guy.

notin
11-15-2019, 11:22 AM
Open roster spot for someone that can actually play. If Pedey is DH only, he’s a AAAA guy.

Or he is 60 day IL material, which means he does no take a roster spot...

moonslav59
11-15-2019, 11:26 AM

The only problem is not being able to be on the 60 day DL until opening day, but with our 40 man roster so shallow, it should not be a problem, unless Bloom starts wheeling and dealing for low cost players that need to be on the 40 man roster.

I'm usually thinking we should make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals this time of year, but we may see some 1 for 3 deals this winter.

notin
11-15-2019, 11:34 AM
The only problem is not being able to be on the 60 day DL until opening day, but with our 40 man roster so shallow, it should not be a problem, unless Bloom starts wheeling and dealing for low cost players that need to be on the 40 man roster.

I'm usually thinking we should make some 2 or 3 for 1 deals this time of year, but we may see some 1 for 3 deals this winter.

I don't see the Sox having 40 man roster issues.

Even with Pedroia currently on the roster, they still only have 34 players on it.

And those 34 players include Sam Travis, Brian Johnson, Trevor Kelley, and Bobby Poyner. Even if these players were claimed, there is nothing special there. Not to mention, Heath Hembree, Jackie Bradley, and Sandy Leon also still have spots along with questions about their return. And Josh Osich has a spot.

That's nearly a quarter of the occupied slots taken by players who are not coming back or are not difficult to replace.

Counting the six spots already vacant, I'm not too worried if Pedroia has to spend a month or two on the 40 man roster. I also doubt the Sox need 15 spots to add worthy minor league players...

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 11:43 AM

That’s different. Someone above was mentioning “what if Pedey pushes JD off of DH”.

notin
11-15-2019, 12:03 PM
That’s different. Someone above was mentioning “what if Pedey pushes JD off of DH”.

Well, given that the Sox are reportedly going to move Bradley and Betts and have no minor league outfielders ready to play at the MLB level not named Rusney, if Pedroia goes to DH, it would probably push JD to the outfield. While not ideal defensively, the Sox don't have a ton of other options right now.

I know there will be additions, but as of today, if Pedroia plays DH and Martinez plays, say, LF, is that better or worse than having Martinez at DH and Cole Sturgeon in LF?

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 12:12 PM
If they are moving on from 2 OFers, I bet they bring in some cheap replacements the way the Rays always do.

S5Dewey
11-15-2019, 12:15 PM
I hope they at least try, because putting JD at first solves so many problems. If he's squeezed out of DH by Pedroia, they'll be tempted to put him in left field with Beni switching to center. And then we still don't have a first baseman.

...or a center fielder.

11-15-2019, 12:22 PM
The Sox' new admin -- since most are the old admin -- can't be counting on a single at bat from Pedroia, and have to view anything they get as a bonus. A realistic scenario is to hope he can spend the season in uniform and act as a defacto infield coach, like he did in '18. That way he could help any forthcoming depth acquisitions in their transitions.

As for JD, expect less outfield time than ever, like maybe 20 games, just enough to be ready so he can stay in the lineup in a few inter-league road games.

There's just no way Bloom is coming into his first year and not trying to build a contender for 2020 -- and repeating the mistakes of his predecessor's previous regime.

notin
11-15-2019, 12:31 PM
If they are moving on from 2 OFers, I bet they bring in some cheap replacements the way the Rays always do.

I certainly hope so.

Right now, the only name mentioned was Jake Marisnick, and even then no one is certain how interested the Sox really are.

But if the Sox still have a good OF, they aren't going to bench Martinez to let Pedroia DH. And that's with assuming Pedroia can do that much.

Now if the plan is to trade Martinez, and let Pedroia DH, that's different (and unwise). But they certainly wouldn't be trading Martinez just to clear a place to play for Pedroia...

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 12:47 PM
It’s not even Thanksgiving. Can’t worry about the names thrown around right now. They’ll get it done.

notin
11-15-2019, 12:52 PM
It’s not even Thanksgiving. Can’t worry about the names thrown around right now. They’ll get it done.

It's 25 degrees in Chicago today. Forgive me if I keep thinking it's January...

moonslav59
11-15-2019, 12:57 PM

Isn't it usually -10 with the wind chill in January?

(I used to live in Milwaukee and went to college in South Bend.)

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 01:01 PM

81 here. Baseball’s over?

notin
11-15-2019, 01:07 PM
81 here. Baseball’s over?

Can you send me like maybe 20 or 30 degrees?

mvp 78
11-15-2019, 01:26 PM
Can you send me like maybe 20 or 30 degrees?

Hell no. My pool would get too cold.

notin
11-15-2019, 01:32 PM
Hell no. My pool would get too cold.

Buy some skates...

Kimmi
11-15-2019, 05:18 PM

I agree.

Kimmi
11-15-2019, 05:19 PM

You and I are on the same page when it comes to support of Pedroia.

Kimmi
11-15-2019, 05:21 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. There's just a tiny chance Pedey can give us anything significant.

Pedroia himself doesn't sound that confident that he will make it back.

He is still at the stage where he is focused on quality of life rather than being able to play ball.

Kimmi
11-15-2019, 05:22 PM
Or JD is heading to the outfield, where he has lots of experence...

Please do not let JD be an everyday outfielder.

moonslav59
11-15-2019, 06:03 PM
Please do not let JD be an everyday outfielder.

I'd trade him before I made him play more than a handful of games in the OF.

Bellhorn04
11-15-2019, 06:10 PM
I'd trade him before I made him play more than a handful of games in the OF.

Let's not get carried away. He played 57 games in the OF in 2018 and 38 last year.

Your statement is a little extreme.

moonslav59
11-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Let's not get carried away. He played 57 games in the OF in 2018 and 38 last year.

I don't see it that way. We're already looking for ways to cut salary. I was suggesting we might want to trade him before we even found out he declined the opt out. It's probably easier to trade him than Price or Eovalid. I also want to keep Betts beyond 2020. If bringing the budget down helps with that, then there's more reasons to trade JD.

If this whole Pedey nonsense comes to fruition, where as he becomes the near FT DH, then to me, trading JD makes a hell of a lot of sense. His value as a DH to the CWS seems higher than to us as an Of'er. That lays the foundation for a trade.

I also think it's better for the team and JD that he play almost exclusively DH. JD will likely opt out after 2020 and go for a bigger and longer deal. An injury would hurt his earning power immensely. An injury would hurt our chances at winning, as well. His defense would hurt our chances at winning.

There may even be more reasons than these.

Bellhorn04
11-15-2019, 06:23 PM
The Pedey DH thing is not happening.

cp176
11-15-2019, 06:45 PM

Even the thought of using Pedroia as a dh is a real joke. When is the last time he got a hit at the big league level? Oh yeah, we could count on that bat - not. As you have already stated, using Martinez for what 50-60 games in the outfield has not hurt this team one bit. We should be happy to have one of the best hitters in the game playing for us.

notin
11-15-2019, 08:55 PM

Ah but if you trade JD, you can maybe keep Betts...

moonslav59
11-15-2019, 10:51 PM

Yes, it's all nonsense.

Slasher9
11-18-2019, 08:01 AM
Like it or not, 1B is a change of positions involving different physical demands. He's never played there, not a single MLB game. Maybe he has been asked and has indicated that it's a bad idea.

hence the manager needs to give him reps in ST to see if he can do it. this could have been done the past 2 ST's. especially last ST when we had a year of JD "playing" OF under our belts.
i think people are misunderstanding...no one is saying to hand JD the first baseman's job. some posters are suggesting that he should be tested out / trained there in ST and see how it goes. we already KNOW he can't play OF competently so we dont really need to see that anymore.

Slasher9
11-18-2019, 08:02 AM

“It’s incredibly hard.”

where did hatteburg end up playing?
lol

notin
11-18-2019, 08:05 AM
where did hatteburg end up playing?
lol

Well he did play 1b. But later on he also wound up training velociraptors in a Cretaceous-themed zoo. So maybe his career path is best not duplicated...

Bellhorn04
11-18-2019, 08:08 AM
hence the manager needs to give him reps in ST to see if he can do it. this could have been done the past 2 ST's. especially last ST when we had a year of JD "playing" OF under our belts.
i think people are misunderstanding...no one is saying to hand JD the first baseman's job. some posters are suggesting that he should be tested out / trained there in ST and see how it goes. we already KNOW he can't play OF competently so we dont really need to see that anymore.

The stats suggest his fielding was close to adequate in 2018. That helps explain why it wasn't considered going into 2019.

In 2019 he was bad.

Slasher9
11-18-2019, 08:08 AM
Well he did play 1b. But later on he also wound up training velociraptors in a Cretaceous-themed zoo. So maybe his career path is best not duplicated...

right. but was that due to some nefarious injury (physical or mental) from playing 1b defensively? or was it because he didn't have the offensive skillset and prowess to being with of someone like..oh...i don't know...JD?

Bellhorn04
11-18-2019, 08:26 AM
It might also be noted that we had zero depth in the outfield, as was painfully highlighted by the recurring sight of Gorkys in the lineup.

S5Dewey
11-18-2019, 09:21 AM
It might also be noted that we had zero depth in the outfield, as was painfully highlighted by the recurring sight of Gorkys in the lineup.

That's true, but saying that he was there because he's better than Gorkys is hardly a stirring recommendation.

I have never understood why he didn't get a look at 1B during ST.
Two things have been well established. The first is that he's NOT a good outfielder. He's "hidden" there only to keep his bat in the lineup.
The second is that he wants to be involved in the defense. I'm not sure why he's intent on being on the field for defense - it could be to improve his value (which is NOT working out well!) or it could be that he's simply not as good defensively as he thinks he is. But.. whatever. If he's not good enough to be going to be used in the OF he's sure as Hell not going to be at C, 3B, SS, or 2B so where does that leave??

I'm not saying that 1B should be his position to lose. I'm just saying that it's almost criminal to not see how he fares there. If he can't handle 1B then he can go back to being hidden in the outfield.

Bellhorn04
11-18-2019, 09:34 AM
That's true, but saying that he was there because he's better than Gorkys is hardly a stirring recommendation.

Agreed. What I'm really saying there is 'Thanks Dave!'

moonslav59
11-18-2019, 09:49 AM
Maybe JD said he does not want to play 1B.

Maybe Sox management doesn't view him as a possible capable 1Bman.

Maybe they fear risk of injury.

I think the Sox have had a bigger need with OF depth over 1B depth, so that alone could be the main reason.

(I'm not for giving him a 1Bman's mitt next spring- at all!)

Slasher9
11-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Maybe JD said he does not want to play 1B.

Maybe Sox management doesn't view him as a possible capable 1Bman.

Maybe they fear risk of injury.

I think the Sox have had a bigger need with OF depth over 1B depth, so that alone could be the main reason.

(I'm not for giving him a 1Bman's mitt next spring- at all!)

would be interesting to see historically who gets injured more frequently in the MLB - Corner Outfielder or First Baseman?

moonslav59
11-18-2019, 10:18 AM
would be interesting to see historically who gets injured more frequently in the MLB - Corner Outfielder or First Baseman?

It's not that simple. Placing and aged, sore-backed player in any new position is a gamble.

BTW, I'm not for playing him in the OF either. he should DH only with maybe a handful of games in the OF at NL parks.

Slasher9
11-18-2019, 10:33 AM
It's not that simple. Placing and aged, sore-backed player in any new position is a gamble.

BTW, I'm not for playing him in the OF either. he should DH only with maybe a handful of games in the OF at NL parks.

and i want him to see if he can play those same handful of games at 1b.
also, waking up in the morning is a gamble for a sore-backed player.
jogging to first base and catching a throw > sprinting 35' towards a wall to run down a flyball, twisting and firing the ball 200'.....
first base is where old players go to die. if the board certified dumbest player on the Red Sox (christian vazquez) can play first base then i'm sure a smart guy like JD can figure out the footwork to play 10 games per season at the position.....

notin
11-18-2019, 11:40 AM
jogging to first base and catching a throw > sprinting 35' towards a wall to run down a flyball, twisting and firing the ball 200'.....
first base is where old players go to die. if the board certified dumbest player on the Red Sox (christian vazquez) can play first base then i'm sure a smart guy like JD can figure out the footwork to play 10 games per season at the position.....

I'm sure he can figure it out.

The past two seasons the Red Sox had a 1B they liked, which was probably a big factor in why JD didn't play there. This offseason, maybe the want to see who will be at 1B before moving Martinez there.

moonslav59
11-18-2019, 12:57 PM

Yes, but all those things are unavoidable. Playing 1B rather than DH is a choice made and a bigger gamble.

S5Dewey
11-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Yes, but all those things are unavoidable. Playing 1B rather than DH is a choice made and a bigger gamble.

And putting him in the OF is an even bigger gamble.

Slasher9
11-18-2019, 01:42 PM

who says to have him play 1b instead of DHing?
i am advocating 1b instead of OF.

moonslav59
11-18-2019, 01:51 PM
I don't want JD playing in the field at all. I'm okay with a handful of games in the OF in NL parks, when needed.

I do think there is less risk of him getting hurt playing a position he's played for more than a decade and maybe has 2-4 plays a game hit his way. I think, for him, 1B would be more dangerous.

Plus, I don't want to do anything to distract him from his hitting, and that takes a lot of his time already.

moonslav59
11-18-2019, 01:53 PM
And putting him in the OF is an even bigger gamble.

Putting a SS/3Bman like HRam in the OF might be more dangerous than the 1B, but I don't think playing an OF'er in the OF 5 games a year is more dangerous than asking him to learn how to play 1B- a position that is involved in many more plays per game and is something very new to him.

Plus, if JD is taught to play 1B, my guess is the plan would be for more than 5 games.

kenmeister
11-18-2019, 01:59 PM
On the very low chance that Pedroia can DH a significant amount of games, we can worry about where to put JD.

Swiharts Ghost
11-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Pedey is not DHing that right there is nuts in itself .JD is a guy with No range No awareness on contact .Pedey Plays 2nd or plays the pine .JD either DHs or I'm letting him play home games in LF not Right .That's my plan for the 2 men .I do think JD could be a Manny type in Left

11-18-2019, 04:23 PM
The thing is: everyone drops a ball in the outfield once in awhile -- we're all human and susceptible to losing one in the sun or the lights or the infamous gloaming...

It sucks, but it happens. Luckily, even bad outfielders can stand around for innings and innings without getting a ball hit in their direction. But a first baseman who misses throws kills a defense. Those lost "automatic" outs are such a downer, and put more pressure on the other infielders to make perfect throws, and ultimately stress the pitcher, who may strain his arm trying to strike everybody out.

Consider just from a spectator point-of-view -- what's more ugh-worthy: a baserunner going first to third on a misplayed ball by the rightfielder... or on a pick-off throw that eludes the first baseman and bounces down the foul line?

notin
11-18-2019, 04:54 PM
But then the overwhelming majority of players made by a 1b are on throws that the thrower intended him to catch. No other position has this advantage to this degree. Most first baseman don’t come up playing the position; they end up there. As slasher said, 1b is where oldmajor leaguers go to die..,

Slasher9
11-19-2019, 08:15 AM
The thing is: everyone drops a ball in the outfield once in awhile -- we're all human and susceptible to losing one in the sun or the lights or the infamous gloaming...

It sucks, but it happens. Luckily, even bad outfielders can stand around for innings and innings without getting a ball hit in their direction. But a first baseman who misses throws kills a defense. Those lost "automatic" outs are such a downer, and put more pressure on the other infielders to make perfect throws, and ultimately stress the pitcher, who may strain his arm trying to strike everybody out.

Consider just from a spectator point-of-view -- what's more ugh-worthy: a baserunner going first to third on a misplayed ball by the rightfielder... or on a pick-off throw that eludes the first baseman and bounces down the foul line?

there is not an easier out in baseball then a flyball. just look at the %es. flyballs are automatic outs. groundballs are not.
if we are worried about JD catching a ball thrown directly to him then he probably wouldnt have made it past high school baseball (if even).
i want my outfielders to run down and catch everything in the field of play. i am OK with my below average 1bman not scooping every throw in the dirt.

Bellhorn04
11-19-2019, 08:31 AM
there is not an easier out in baseball then a flyball. just look at the %es. flyballs are automatic outs. groundballs are not.
if we are worried about JD catching a ball thrown directly to him then he probably wouldnt have made it past high school baseball (if even).
i want my outfielders to run down and catch everything in the field of play. i am OK with my below average 1bman not scooping every throw in the dirt.

But let's not forget that there are plenty of ways for poor first basemen to fuck up other than not being good scoopers.

notin
11-19-2019, 08:45 AM
But let's not forget that there are plenty of ways for poor first basemen to fuck up other than not being good scoopers.

But the conventional baseball wisdom still says 1b is the easiest defensive position. If you disagree with this, what position is easier?

moonslav59
11-19-2019, 08:49 AM
But the conventional baseball wisdom still says 1b is the easiest defensive position. If you disagree with this, what position is easier?

It's usually less of a team disadvantage to have a big, slow player play 1B rather than OF, but that doesn't mean it's easier. (Is it easier for a fast and short player?)

It also depends on the player you are talking about.

If a player has played OF his whole life, one would think OF is easier and safer than 1B. How much of a defensive liability the player might be in comparison at each position also plays into the choice, but with JD, I think risk of injury might be the top factor in the choice.

Slasher9
11-19-2019, 08:50 AM

the 10-12 games per season i have JD penciled in at 1b i am only expecting him to jog to the bag and catch throws from infielders. any of the other "first baseman" stuff i am giving him a "pass" on - balls in dirt, bunt coverage, cut 4's, throws up the line, flips to pitcher covering first, throws to 2b to try and doubleplay, etc.

Slasher9
11-19-2019, 09:07 AM
, I think risk of injury might be the top factor in the choice.

blake swihart on line 2....

11-19-2019, 09:09 AM

First basemen have a lot more responsibilities than corner outfielders -- by default, because of the much greater percentage of fielding chances. Of course, fast outfielders can be competent first basemen, while slow first basemen don't make decent outfielders. But good first basemen have to do more than just scoop; they have to make good throws all the time: starting the 3-6-3 DP, after pouncing on bunts, and maybe most importantly -- getting into position to take and make relays. Outfielders usually just have to hit the cutoff... while the first sacker is the cutoff, on two-thirds of the diamond with runners in scoring position.

Good teams can get by with mediocrity at first, but great first basemen can make good teams great. For example, Keith Hernandez was a defensive weapon, and it's no coincidence he won rings manning first for two different franchises (ok, maybe he was more offensive to Elaine).

notin
11-19-2019, 09:39 AM
First basemen have a lot more responsibilities than corner outfielders -- by default, because of the much greater percentage of fielding chances. Of course, fast outfielders can be competent first basemen, while slow first basemen don't make decent outfielders. But good first basemen have to do more than just scoop; they have to make good throws all the time: starting the 3-6-3 DP, after pouncing on bunts, and maybe most importantly -- getting into position to take and make relays. Outfielders usually just have to hit the cutoff... while the first sacker is the cutoff, on two-thirds of the diamond with runners in scoring position.

Good teams can get by with mediocrity at first, but great first basemen can make good teams great. For example, Keith Hernandez was a defensive weapon, and it's no coincidence he won rings manning first for two different franchises (ok, maybe he was more offensive to Elaine).

1. Nice Seinfeld reference.

2. Plenty of teams have won titles with mediocre to bad 1b. Are you saying corner OF is easier? We saw Hanley Ramirez try both positions and was much better at 1b. RF especially is not easier than 1b, considering the throws involved. Saying "all you have to do is hit the cutoff man" is a massive understatement. Plenty of times, outfielders throw directly to bases, including home, and for a RF, the throw to third base is a particularly tough one. There is a reason Betts throw to third was a highlight. And while the plays might be infrequent, tracking down and catching a flyball that is over an outfielder's head is never an easy play, despite how Bradley and Betts make it look. And when those plays dont happen, it is a bad, bad thing all around.

There is a reason most inferior fielders get moved to 1b. Taking throws is simply easier than fielding batted balls. The first baseman takes a lot of throws. Everyone else has the overwhelming majority of their plays fielding batted balls. (Note: "Easiest" doesn't always mean "easy.")

REally, I would challenge you to name a good team that was made great by a good first baseman's glove. Hernandez won his first title with Ozzie Smith anchoring the infield. While I think Smith was an overrated defensive shortstop, that doesn't change the fact that he was still an outstanding defender (I just don't think he was the best ever at his position, and that he was inferior to Omar Vizquel) and his impact defensively was much greater than that of Hernandez...

illinoisredsox
11-19-2019, 10:31 AM
I have no problem with JD trying first base; if it works out, fine, if it doesn’t, oh well.

However, one condition; he should never, ever, ever play it with ERod on the mound.

moonslav59
11-19-2019, 11:14 AM
I have no problem with JD trying first base; if it works out, fine, if it doesn’t, oh well.

However, one condition; he should never, ever, ever play it with ERod on the mound.

LoL

11-19-2019, 04:27 PM
1. Nice Seinfeld reference.

2. Plenty of teams have won titles with mediocre to bad 1b. Are you saying corner OF is easier? We saw Hanley Ramirez try both positions and was much better at 1b. RF especially is not easier than 1b, considering the throws involved. Saying "all you have to do is hit the cutoff man" is a massive understatement. Plenty of times, outfielders throw directly to bases, including home, and for a RF, the throw to third base is a particularly tough one. There is a reason Betts throw to third was a highlight. And while the plays might be infrequent, tracking down and catching a flyball that is over an outfielder's head is never an easy play, despite how Bradley and Betts make it look. And when those plays dont happen, it is a bad, bad thing all around.

There is a reason most inferior fielders get moved to 1b. Taking throws is simply easier than fielding batted balls. The first baseman takes a lot of throws. Everyone else has the overwhelming majority of their plays fielding batted balls. (Note: "Easiest" doesn't always mean "easy.")

REally, I would challenge you to name a good team that was made great by a good first baseman's glove. Hernandez won his first title with Ozzie Smith anchoring the infield. While I think Smith was an overrated defensive shortstop, that doesn't change the fact that he was still an outstanding defender (I just don't think he was the best ever at his position, and that he was inferior to Omar Vizquel) and his impact defensively was much greater than that of Hernandez...

I never said "all outfielders have to do is hit the cutoff" -- I said, "usually". I've played outfield for 50 years, and 99% of our throws are to a cut-off man: get rid of the ball quickly and accurately, and after that it's literally out of our hands. I would never say playing outfield is easier, because fast guys that can outrun flies or liners are a premium at any level.

But I've played some first base, too, and first basemen have more responsibilities because they're just more involved. I don't want anyone over there that I can't trust defensively. As for my admittedly general statement about the effects of a good first baseman -- this isn't a cop-out, but I don't know if there's a way (at least for me) to quantify it. I can't put numbers on how confidence translates to better play by third basemen, shortstops and second basemen when they know they don't have to be perfect with every throw, and that their guy is going to save them some Es every week.

But I bet the '04 Sox upped their killer instinct every time Doug M replaced Millar in late innings.

Hernandez certainly changed the way opposing teams strategized on offense because he nullified the sacrifice bunt (granted, it was NL in the 80s). But good first basemen are part of good defensive teams, and defense win pennants. Guys who transition well over to first have good hands (but maybe waning range), and teams have won pennants or rings with converted infielders, outfielders or catchers: Konerko, Spiezio, Daulton, Benzinger, Rose, Perez, Powell... Yaz.

And while it's true that some players go to die there, so does his team if he's someone clunky. Corny, but true.

oldtimer
11-19-2019, 04:37 PM
I never said "all outfielders have to do is hit the cutoff" -- I said, "usually". I've played outfield for 50 years, and 99% of our throws are to a cut-off man: get rid of the ball quickly and accurately, and after that it's literally out of our hands. I would never say playing outfield is easier, because fast guys that can outrun flies or liners are a premium at any level.

But I've played some first base, too, and first basemen have more responsibilities because they're just more involved. I don't want anyone over there that I can't trust defensively. As for my admittedly general statement about the effects of a good first baseman -- this isn't a cop-out, but I don't know if there's a way (at least for me) to quantify it. I can't put numbers on how confidence translates to better play by third basemen, shortstops and second basemen when they know they don't have to be perfect with every throw, and that their guy is going to save them some Es every week.

But I bet the '04 Sox upped their killer instinct every time Doug M replaced Millar in late innings.

Hernandez certainly changed the way opposing teams strategized on offense because he nullified the sacrifice bunt (granted, it was NL in the 80s). But good first basemen are part of good defensive teams, and defense win pennants. Guys who transition well over to first have good hands (but maybe waning range), and teams have won pennants or rings with converted infielders, outfielders or catchers: Konerko, Spiezio, Daulton, Benzinger, Rose, Perez, Powell... Yaz.

And while it's true that some players go to die there, so does his team if he's someone clunky. Corny, but true.

Billy Buckner

moonslav59
11-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Billy Buckner

Dave Stapleton

Elktonnick
11-19-2019, 04:47 PM
Dave Stapleton
Dick Stuart

cp176
11-19-2019, 05:09 PM
Dick Stuart

Hands of stone -

Elktonnick
11-19-2019, 05:16 PM
Hands of stone -

All good reasons to keep JDM away from 1st except when he gets on base.

11-19-2019, 05:29 PM
How could I forget Youk? There's one that worked -- slid over to first, won Gold Glove, won World Series.

Kimmi
11-19-2019, 05:43 PM

I'm really not OK with a below average defensive first baseman. A great first baseman can make the rest of the infield look that much better. That said, if given the choice between having JD in the OF or having him at 1B, I'd opt for 1B.

notin
11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Guys who transition well over to first have good hands (but maybe waning range), and teams have won pennants or rings with converted infielders, outfielders or catchers: Konerko, Spiezio, Daulton, Benzinger, Rose, Perez, Powell... Yaz.

See, this argument falls apart with Konerko, who was a classic case of “can really hit. Where do we play him?” He washed out at catcher, third base, and outfield before finally minimizing the damage he could do by playing 1b.

And he’s not alone. Plenty of the 1b throughout MLB history play there because they can hit, but can’t field anywhere else (although some are just left-handed). Not every 1b is going to be a good one, but if JD plays the position for 10 games, how many wins will that actually cost the Sox?

Well yes, but is it fair to already disparage JD’s play at 1b as “clunky”? C’mon. Even Jose Offerman could play 1b well...

notin
11-19-2019, 07:14 PM
Billy Buckner

Buckner was an elite 1b...

11-19-2019, 09:58 PM
See, this argument falls apart with Konerko, who was a classic case of “can really hit. Where do we play him?” He washed out at catcher, third base, and outfield before finally minimizing the damage he could do by playing 1b.

And he’s not alone. Plenty of the 1b throughout MLB history play there because they can hit, but can’t field anywhere else (although some are just left-handed). Not every 1b is going to be a good one, but if JD plays the position for 10 games, how many wins will that actually cost the Sox?

[QUOTEAnd while it's true that some players go to die there, so does his team if he's someone clunky. Corny, but true.

Well yes, but is it fair to already disparage JD’s play at 1b as “clunky”? C’mon. Even Jose Offerman could play 1b well...[/QUOTE]

Notin, I was trying to agree with you that there were a lot of guys who have transitioned successfully to first... but I just don't want anything to do with JD anywhere on the field. What's the sense of 10 games anyway -- interleague? If he isn't going to platoon there with a couple other guys on a semi-regular basis he wouldn't be doing us any favors with a few cameos. I mean, even in the World Series in LA, all the MLB talk was about moving Mookie to second, never JD to first. Then Martinez misjudged a fly ball by about 30 feet, which luckily everyone forgot about since JD himself homered and then Sale made Machado go all serpentine like the snake that he is.

moonslav59
11-19-2019, 11:09 PM
Remember when AGon played RF?

Now, that was funny!

Bellhorn04
11-20-2019, 07:15 AM

I think the real question is, how much better off are we with JD playing 1B for 10 games vs. playing OF for 10 games.

Slasher9
11-20-2019, 08:06 AM
I'm really not OK with a below average defensive first baseman. A great first baseman can make the rest of the infield look that much better. That said, if given the choice between having JD in the OF or having him at 1B, I'd opt for 1B.

yes, i agree. i was really referring to the dozen games per season that i would have JD play there.

moonslav59
11-20-2019, 08:49 AM
I think the real question is, how much better off are we with JD playing 1B for 10 games vs. playing OF for 10 games.

I think it should just be 5-6 games- total on the field.

notin
11-20-2019, 10:39 AM
yes, i agree. i was really referring to the dozen games per season that i would have JD play there.

I think the biggest factor will be who else is in the lineup. As of now, the team is incomplete.

When the Sox had Ortiz and AGon, they had to get creative to get both bats in the lineup in NL road games. But this team right now has no such problem. The internal candidates at 1b are Chavis and maybe Dalbec, and benching either for 9 games doesn't look like a big issue. In the outfield, Bradley is reportedly gone, so there is a huge question mark in CF. If Betts is also gone, that doubles the questions. The Sox don't have much in the way of internal solutions - Durran, Wilson and maybe (but probably not) Castillo. And the only external name mentioned so far (Jake Marisnick) doesn't represent a massive change in this status. If any of them were benched to put JD in the outfield for 9 games, I don't see that being a major issue. Even a worst case outfield of Martinez-Benintedi-Betts might have defensive issues, but that hardly guarantees losses every time they send them out there.

If JD plays the field in NL road games, where he plays is likely to be determined by whoever fills out the outfield and who winds up holding down 1b...

Slasher9
11-20-2019, 11:31 AM
I think the biggest factor will be who else is in the lineup. As of now, the team is incomplete.

When the Sox had Ortiz and AGon, they had to get creative to get both bats in the lineup in NL road games. But this team right now has no such problem. The internal candidates at 1b are Chavis and maybe Dalbec, and benching either for 9 games doesn't look like a big issue. In the outfield, Bradley is reportedly gone, so there is a huge question mark in CF. If Betts is also gone, that doubles the questions. The Sox don't have much in the way of internal solutions - Durran, Wilson and maybe (but probably not) Castillo. And the only external name mentioned so far (Jake Marisnick) doesn't represent a massive change in this status. If any of them were benched to put JD in the outfield for 9 games, I don't see that being a major issue. Even a worst case outfield of Martinez-Benintedi-Betts might have defensive issues, but that hardly guarantees losses every time they send them out there.

If JD plays the field in NL road games, where he plays is likely to be determined by whoever fills out the outfield and who winds up holding down 1b...

agree 1 million percent. i have been simply advocating giving him some reps at 1b during ST / offseason in case he is needed there and all things being equal...(if we have the 3 b's in 2020) i would prefer xyz first baseman to sit during NL games to keep JDM in the lineup instead of weakening 1 or even 2 OF spots (when JBj sits and Beni moves to CF). plus i think there is less chance of injury playing 1b then corner OF.

moonslav59
11-20-2019, 11:38 AM
agree 1 million percent. i have been simply advocating giving him some reps at 1b during ST / offseason in case he is needed there and all things being equal...(if we have the 3 b's in 2020) i would prefer xyz first baseman to sit during NL games to keep JDM in the lineup instead of weakening 1 or even 2 OF spots (when JBj sits and Beni moves to CF). plus i think there is less chance of injury playing 1b then corner OF.

I doubt JBJ is back, so it might be JD vs Gorkys/Lin/cheap FA? in the OF or JD vs Chavis/Travis/Dalbec/Ockimey at 1B.

notin
11-20-2019, 11:49 AM
There is no reason to bring Gorkys Hernandez back. None whatsoever

moonslav59
11-20-2019, 01:56 PM

No, except to keep JD at DH, maybe.

notin
11-20-2019, 02:10 PM
No, except to keep JD at DH, maybe.

That can be accomplished with a better grade of bench player than Gorkys Hernandez...

moonslav59
11-20-2019, 02:24 PM
That can be accomplished with a better grade of bench player than Gorkys Hernandez...

Agreed. I doubt Bloom has the same view of Gorkys as DD did.

Swiharts Ghost
11-20-2019, 03:21 PM

If they play That scrub I’m not even spending 30 seconds watching the 2020 season not a second more .

Bellhorn04
11-20-2019, 03:22 PM
Yes, Gorkys was pure evil.

kenmeister
11-20-2019, 10:06 PM

I think he exists just so we can joke about Wins Above Gorkys.

notin
11-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Gorkys put a curse on my goldfish!

jacksonianmarch
01-21-2020, 10:48 AM
Pedro is just had a “significant” setback with his knee. I admire the guy trying hard to return, but at some point, you gotta cut the cord

notin
01-21-2020, 11:01 AM
Pedro is just had a “significant” setback with his knee. I admire the guy trying hard to return, but at some point, you gotta cut the cord

The Red Sox have clearly moved on, but it’s not up to them about whether or not Pedroia retires and walks away from all the money he’s owed (which he ain’t gonna do)...

mvp 78
01-21-2020, 11:04 AM
The Red Sox have clearly moved on, but it’s not up to them about whether or not Pedroia retires and walks away from all the money he’s owed (which he ain’t gonna do)...

He'll just sit at home watching tv with extra grit.

oldtimer
01-21-2020, 11:20 AM

We will soon know what he plans to do. In any case, most of us never expected that he would come back to the Sox as a player. He was a great player and had a nice career, but the knee injury is just too much to overcome.

Swiharts Ghost
01-21-2020, 11:28 AM
We will soon know what he plans to do. In any case, most of us never expected that he would come back to the Sox as a player. He was a great player and had a nice career, but the knee injury is just too much to overcome.

Already serving a 6 week self ban so as bet stated I will sit out next offseason .Wish Pedey we’ll fare well and Thankyou for all the huge moments you gave us Laser show

Slasher9
01-21-2020, 11:41 AM

buh bye. #gritty!

Bellhorn04
01-21-2020, 11:55 AM
You guys are brutal.

jad
01-21-2020, 12:34 PM
Ah yes, if only Pedroia were as bad-ass tough as your basic internet poster.

mvp 78
01-21-2020, 12:48 PM
Ah yes, if only Pedroia were as bad-ass tough as your basic internet poster.

Hard agree.

moonslav59
01-21-2020, 10:53 PM
At this point, I honestly don't even care to hear what the setback is.

Pedey is toast.

Thanks for the laser memories.

Sox75
01-22-2020, 08:03 AM
Yeh. It certainly sounds like a few here are so badass that they think they could ever qualify to carry Pedey's bags?

When he first started with the Sox, we all said he just couldn't cut it at the big show.

He dirtdogged it right past that BRUTAL START, & proceeded to become Rookie of the year, helping us to win a WS. Another in 2013.

Batting average
Hits
Home runs
Runs batted in
Stolen bases
Teams
Boston Red Sox (2006–present)
Career highlights and awards
4× All-Star (2008–2010, 2013)
2× World Series champion (2007, 2013)
AL MVP (2008)
AL Rookie of the Year (2007)
4× Gold Glove Award (2008, 2011, 2013, 2014)
Silver Slugger Award (2008)

You know the numbers.

The "thanks, & don't let the door hit you on the arss" pissy attitude toward him is pretty STUNNING, but whatever.

Such is the attitude of those who have never done, & never fought through a single injury to ever play a single game at anything.

Pretty snarky shit towards a guy who gave us so many LIFETIME memories.

I don't know about you, but I can go back to '67 as a very young boy, and remember how I felt playing stickball on the streets of Allston & Brighton.

Memories of Pedey & Company will hopefully last me another 30 years. This is the STUFF that brings back memories of a lifetime.

I absolutely don't get the snark?

Yeh! He made a few mistakes. He even inexplicably defended the shithead who ended his career.
Whatever!

The guy was one of the all-time great Red Sox dirtdogs.

S5Dewey
01-22-2020, 08:16 AM
Yeh. It certainly sounds like a few here are so badass that they think they could ever qualify to carry Pedey's bags?

When he first started with the Sox, we all said he just couldn't cut it at the big show.

He dirtdogged it right past that BRUTAL START, & proceeded to become Rookie of the year, helping us to win a WS. Another in 2013.

Batting average
Hits
Home runs
Runs batted in
Stolen bases
Teams
AL MVP (2008)

You know the numbers.

The "thanks, & don't let the door hit you on the arss" pissy attitude toward him is pretty STUNNING, but whatever.

Such is the attitude of those who have never done, & never fought through a single injury to ever play a single game at anything.

I don't know about you, but I can go back to '67 as a very young boy, and remember how I felt playing stickball on the streets of Allston & Brighton.

Memories of Pedey & Company will hopefully last me another 30 years. This is the STUFF that brings back memories of a lifetime.

Yeh! He made a few mistakes. He even inexplicably defended the shithead who ended his career.
Whatever!

There are time when I wish this forum had a "Like" button and this is one of them.

Unfortunately this is one of the Red Sox traditions: When a former great player is down and out and lying on the floor the fans kick him toward the door. If he ends up crossways to the door and can't get through the door they kick him harder until he fits through the damn door!

redsoxrules
01-22-2020, 08:23 AM
Most people are not mad a Pedey. Just mad at the fact of his guaranteed salary. The person to blame here would be the GM who gave him that long contract. You can't fault the player for wanting to collect. If you were all in this situation you'd take the money

Nick
01-22-2020, 08:28 AM
Most people are not mad a Pedey. Just mad at the fact of his guaranteed salary. The person to blame here would be the GM who gave him that long contract. You can't fault the player for wanting to collect. If you were all in this situation you'd take the money

Alex, I'll take $56M for sitting on my ass.....the answer is "Who is....". Is that brutal?

jacksonianmarch
01-22-2020, 08:36 AM
Pedey took FAR less than market value in AAV to stay in Boston for longer. He played the game the right way, maximized his lack of physical size and turned it into a great career. His lack of longevity likely killed his HOF chances, but had he stayed healthy and produced at his usual clip, he’d have been pretty close. Still, his 51.4 WAR is 22nd All Time as a second baseman. Of the 21 ahead of him, 14 are HOFers. The other 7 are Willie Randolph, Chase Utley, Ian Kinsler, Jeff Kent, Robby Cano, Lou Whitaker and Bobby Grich. There are SEVEN HOF second basemen who have less WAR than Pedroia. This is a guy who gets his number retired

Bellhorn04
01-22-2020, 08:43 AM
Alex, I'll take $56M for sitting on my ass.....the answer is "Who is....". Is that brutal?

If you call 'sitting on my ass' sustaining a career-ending battlefield injury, going through operations and rehab and trying to make it back...

Nick
01-22-2020, 08:47 AM
If you call 'sitting on my ass' sustaining a career-ending battlefield injury, going through operations and rehab and trying to make it back...

I'll take $56M and go through his pain.....it's freaking baseball....we have young men getting their limbs blown up in wars.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 08:59 AM
I'll take $56M and go through his pain.....it's freaking baseball....we have young men getting their limbs blown up in wars.

Trying my best to be non political about this, but this is a really bad take.

It's freakin baseball. That's why we post here endlessly. It's a distraction from all the other bullshit that happens in our lives. No reason to minimize what it means to us for an argument.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 09:01 AM
There are time when I wish this forum had a "Like" button and this is one of them.

Unfortunately this is one of the Red Sox traditions: When a former great player is down and out and lying on the floor the fans kick him toward the door. If he ends up crossways to the door and can't get through the door they kick him harder until he fits through the damn door!

I was kicking him around when he was still performing at a high level, because I believe the end was going to be this bad. It was just considered buzzarding though. :cool:

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 09:01 AM
Pedey took FAR less than market value in AAV to stay in Boston for longer. He played the game the right way, maximized his lack of physical size and turned it into a great career. His lack of longevity likely killed his HOF chances, but had he stayed healthy and produced at his usual clip, he’d have been pretty close. Still, his 51.4 WAR is 22nd All Time as a second baseman. Of the 21 ahead of him, 14 are HOFers. The other 7 are Willie Randolph, Chase Utley, Ian Kinsler, Jeff Kent, Robby Cano, Lou Whitaker and Bobby Grich. There are SEVEN HOF second basemen who have less WAR than Pedroia. This is a guy who gets his number retired

Grich better get in at some point.

Hitch
01-22-2020, 09:05 AM

Batting average
Hits
Home runs
Runs batted in
Stolen bases
Teams
AL MVP (2008)

You know the numbers.

Whatever!

Great post.

There's little loyalty in sports, with the least of it, often coming from 'fans'.

I see the solider card has been played now as well. Amazing.

Bellhorn04
01-22-2020, 09:12 AM

Yeah, but the reason you're picking on Pedroia is that he got injured and can't play.

There are many other pro athletes who make even more money than him.

So is your rant aimed at all them too?

notin
01-22-2020, 09:13 AM
One of only two players in MLB history to win Rookie of the Year, MVP, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger all in his first two seasons...

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 09:22 AM
One of only two players in MLB history to win Rookie of the Year, MVP, Gold Glove and Silver Slugger all in his first two seasons...

He was definitely a great player at one point. I'll give him that. He never got higher than 7th in MVP voting after that year though.

Similar Batters
Howie Kendrick (894.7)
Jose Vidro (878.3)
Joe Mauer (875.3)
Edgardo Alfonzo (875.2)
Travis Jackson (873.6) *
Carlos Baerga (873.3)
Asdrubal Cabrera (871.5)
Jeff Cirillo (870.9)
Bill Madlock (868.3)
Daniel Murphy (867.2)

Similar Batters through 35
Julio Franco (900.5)
Howie Kendrick (894.7)
Bill Madlock (889.7)
Placido Polanco (881.7)
Joe Mauer (875.3)
Carlos Baerga (874.2)
Al Dark (869.9)
Jimmy Dykes (866.3)
Pinky Higgins (864.6)
Brandon Phillips (862.9)

Slasher9
01-22-2020, 09:28 AM
i liked him until he threw his entire team under the bus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 09:34 AM
i liked him until he threw his entire team under the bus. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That was their Apple Watch, not mine!

Slasher9
01-22-2020, 09:50 AM
That was their Apple Watch, not mine!

gritty dirtdog playedthegametherightway hustle gamer hardworking 110% scrappy rolemodel

Hitch
01-22-2020, 10:06 AM
My Red Sox players must be perfect. At all times. No mistakes and no injuries. Then maybe, they'll get my respect, but I doubt it.

*waves fist in the air like a simpleton

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 10:13 AM
*waves fist in the air like a simpleton

Please don't do that, you're embarrassing yourself.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 10:16 AM
gritty dirtdog playedthegametherightway hustle gamer hardworking 110% scrappy rolemodel

Hey little guy, time to go out back and see Old Yeller!

Hitch
01-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Please don't do that, you're embarrassing yourself.

Some of us are, for sure.

kenmeister
01-22-2020, 10:18 AM

Yeah after 2008 I thought he was our version of Jeter with better defense.

S5Dewey
01-22-2020, 10:22 AM

Do you really want to go down that road? Would you be willing to trade both legs for $56/M and live that way for the rest of your life? Think about what your life would be like. I wouldn't trade one leg for $56M, let alone both.

IMHO you're greatly underestimating the value of your health.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 10:23 AM
Yeah after 2008 I thought he was our version of Jeter with better defense.

At that point, he certainly was.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Do you really want to go down that road? Would you be willing to trade both legs for $56/M and live that way for the rest of your life? Think about what your life would be like. I wouldn't trade one leg for $56M, let alone both.

IMHO you're greatly underestimating the value of your health.

I'd do one leg, but not both. It'd really set my family up financially.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 10:25 AM
Some of us are, for sure.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the uncouth opinions get better.

jung
01-22-2020, 10:28 AM
I wish Pedey no ill will. He was never what we wanted him to be here in some ways and some people just will not let him up off the floor for that. I just don't want to see him unable to lead a "normal" life after baseball and it sure sounds like he is on the brink of that now.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 10:33 AM
I wish Pedey no ill will. He was never what we wanted him to be here in some ways and some people just will not let him up off the floor for that. I just don't want to see him unable to lead a "normal" life after baseball and it sure sounds like he is on the brink of that now.

I think he's leading a normal life. He's not bed ridden.

Bellhorn04
01-22-2020, 10:36 AM
I think he's leading a normal life. He's not bed ridden.

None of us have any idea what sort of pain or mobility issues he's been having.

harmony
01-22-2020, 11:01 AM
Hall of Fame chances drop when the body gives out.

Dustin Pedroia has posted 46.6 fWAR and 51.7 bWAR over 14 seasons while Seattle righthander Felix Hernandez has posted 54.0 fWAR and 50.2 bWAR over 15 seasons, each a rare player who has stayed with one team over a decade.

The former MVP and former Cy Young winner will likely fall short of the Hall of Fame, even with Hernandez seeking a second wind with the Atlanta Braves.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 11:07 AM
None of us have any idea what sort of pain or mobility issues he's been having.

If he was in a wheelchair or on crutches, it'd be all over the Globe. He's just not physically able to play baseball. That's a big difference.

Jack Flap
01-22-2020, 11:13 AM

I was kind of curious what this comment means. You'd have to have pretty extreme expectations to find fault with Pedey's pre-Machado career.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 11:21 AM
I was kind of curious what this comment means. You'd have to have pretty extreme expectations to find fault with Pedey's pre-Machado career.

He was a good little player who averaged about 135 games per season. Great glove. Overrated offense. He was HOF level 2008 - 2011. He was really good 2012 - 2016.

Bellhorn04
01-22-2020, 11:24 AM
If he was in a wheelchair or on crutches, it'd be all over the Globe. He's just not physically able to play baseball. That's a big difference.

There are plenty of people who can walk around but have severe chronic pain. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about what he feels like.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 11:29 AM
There are plenty of people who can walk around but have severe chronic pain. I don't think it's fair to make assumptions about what he feels like.

I think our definitions of "living a normal life" and mobility issues are different then. Lots of ex players struggle with chronic pain.

notin
01-22-2020, 11:56 AM

There is a very big gray area between “not able to play baseball” and “on crutches”...

moonslav59
01-22-2020, 12:42 PM
He was definitely a great player at one point. I'll give him that. He never got higher than 7th in MVP voting after that year though.

[B]True, but consider this:

2008 Stat 2009-2011 combined
.326 BA .299
.376 OBP .377
.493 SLG .467
123 OPS+ 122

Not bad from 2012-2016
.296/.359/.425/.784 (112 OPS+)

When you factor in the defense, he gave us a lot of great years.

2009-2016 2B WAR Leaders:
43.2 Cano
40.5 Zobrist
36.1 Pedey
34.8 Kinsler
29.7 Utley
22.6 Phillips

2007-2016
48.0 Can0
46.2 Pedey
45.6 Utley
42.1 Kinsler
40.9 Zobrist

2007-2016 UZR/150
9.7 Pedey
9.0 M Ellis
8.4 Utley
8.0 Phillips
4.3 Sanchez (big drop after #4)

His prime was from ages 23 to 27 (2007-2011)
WAR
33.3 Utley
25.9 Pedey
22.6 Kinsler
20.1 Cano

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 01:11 PM
I would agree that he's similar to Utley and Kinsler. I don't think either of those guys are HOF or considered "greats."

moonslav59
01-22-2020, 02:21 PM
I would agree that he's similar to Utley and Kinsler. I don't think either of those guys are HOF or considered "greats."

Agreed.

Pedey needed longevity to make it, which to me, shows just why longevity is over-rated.

01-22-2020, 02:26 PM
Dustin Pedroia was the Red Sox' best all-around second baseman of my lifetime and maybe all-time.

Bobby Doerr is in the Hall, selected by the Veterans Committee, but writers gave him MVP votes in nine years and he was an eight-time All-Star. Pedey got MVP votes in three years and was a four-time All-Star, but also played in an era when there were almost twice as many teams as in Doerr's career (which also included integration in only the last five of his 14 seasons).

Offensively, the two second sackers are close: Doerr hit more triples and homers, Pedroia hit more doubles and stole more bases. Doerr averaged 95 runs scored, Pedroia 99. Doerr also drove in over 100 runs a year, but you would, too, if you had the greatest on-base machine in the history of the game hitting in front of you.

Percentages are pick-ems: Doerr hit .288 with .362 OBP and .461 Slugging; Pedroia hit .299/.365/.439.

What sets them apart is defense. Doerr played 13 full seasons and committed an average of 16 errors... Pedroia was a regular in 11 and committed an average of 5...

jung
01-22-2020, 03:11 PM

There were those here that expected Pedey to be the sort of presence that Mookie will turn out to be and that Ortiz was. Pedey was a great example on the field, though a little too chippy with his mates to actually be the kind of presence Mookie will likely turn out to be. The Machado incident was almost predictable.

By the same token just the sorts of personality traits that made the Machado thing somewhat predictable also led to Pedey being the kind of guy that rejected MLB's idiot rules around the bases. Pedey's stance on that is entirely correct. In fact, I don't know how many people have actually handled the equally idiotic plastic bases MLB uses today and I certainly am no longer young enough to be a real test (my mass is now greater but my velocity much much reduced). But, is it any wonder that players can no longer slide to the bag and often bounce over it, past it and through it.

Players should be allowed to slide to the bag and if they can reach it with their hand and hold it, it should be a legal slide. The problem is they can't hold onto these idiot bags with either hand or foot or anything in between especially if they are the least bit moist. Hence they now flop well in front of the bag robbing us of one of the most beautiful plays in all baseball, the middle infielder avoiding the onrushing runner and turning the DP. Pedey himself argued that it was changing the character of middle infield as fielders were becoming less agile year by year because it was an asset they thought they did not necessarily need. No onrushing runner, no need to be so agile. Now we have big strapping 2nd baseman that can't get out of their own way.

Pedey was tough as nails. But you don't get tough as nails and sympathetic to teammates that don't play the game the way he plays it in the same guy. There were those Sox fans that expected more the Ortiz type leader or the Mookie type leader and Pedey was never going to be that.

notin
01-22-2020, 03:21 PM
Agreed.

Pedey needed longevity to make it, which to me, shows just why longevity is over-rated.

Longevity is underrated, if anything.

In a game where younger players and “next great things” are coming up every year, the ability to fend them off and keep your job should not be so casually overlooked...

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 03:24 PM

In a game where younger players and “next great things” are coming up every year, the ability to fend them off and keep your job should not be so casually overlooked...

Yup, Jamie Moyer and Julio Franco were a joy to watch for that very reason.

moonslav59
01-22-2020, 04:03 PM

I disagree. Too many slightly better than mediocre players get too hyped up (some in HOF) juyst because their 22 seasons placed them in the top 10 in some category.

moonslav59
01-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Yes, Joy, but not great.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 04:08 PM
Yes, Joy, but not great.

Sure. I'm not advocating for them to be in the HOF. I'm advocating that it added greatly to the story of the game whenever they were involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rMJitBw5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLeJyT37RWo

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 04:09 PM
I disagree. Too many slightly better than mediocre players get too hyped up (some in HOF) juyst because their 22 seasons placed them in the top 10 in some category.

Why you gotta slam Biggio like this?

notin
01-22-2020, 04:24 PM

Would you have preferred watching the 25 yo guys who weren’t good enough to take their jobs?

moonslav59
01-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Sure. I'm not advocating for them to be in the HOF. I'm advocating that it added greatly to the story of the game whenever they were involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3rMJitBw5c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLeJyT37RWo

I can agree with that.

moonslav59
01-22-2020, 04:28 PM
Why you gotta slam Biggio like this?

He did have 9 seasons over .800 and 11 over .780, so I'd say he was better than "slightly above average" for the longevity part of his numbers to be a bit more valid.

He's basically Pedey who didn't have a career ending injury.

vegasbob
01-22-2020, 05:41 PM
Pedroia's mobility and to some degree lifetime pain issues will eventually be cured a knee replacement. He's still too young for that now, but with medical advancements in joint replacement, he may be "fixable" in his 40"s and wind up ok. It's playing baseball that he isn't able to do, which was expected in most opinions.

mvp 78
01-22-2020, 06:44 PM
Would you have preferred watching the 25 yo guys who weren’t good enough to take their jobs?

No?

Did you think I was being sarcastic about Moyer and Franco?

notin
01-22-2020, 06:56 PM
No?

Did you think I was being sarcastic about Moyer and Franco?

I did. As geriatric players go, these weren’t the two most exciting names on my mind...

Sox75
01-22-2020, 09:12 PM

Total non sequitur.. .

But good point head.

mvp 78
01-23-2020, 11:22 AM
I told myself that I wouldn't post about Pedey today, but I just saw this:

@SmittyOnMLB
Red Sox describe Dustin Pedroia's status for spring training as "uncertain"

Bellhorn04
01-23-2020, 11:44 AM
I told myself that I wouldn't post about Pedey today, but I just saw this:

@SmittyOnMLB
Red Sox describe Dustin Pedroia's status for spring training as "uncertain"

Is that different from "questionable"?

mvp 78
01-23-2020, 11:47 AM
Is that different from "questionable"?

I thought it was a virtual lock that he won't be available at all?

Bellhorn04
01-23-2020, 11:49 AM
I thought it was a virtual lock that he won't be available at all?

Me too. Maybe our new front office really thinks they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes. :cool:

mvp 78
01-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Me too. Maybe our new front office really thinks they can pull the wool over everyone's eyes. :cool:

It gave us something to talk about I guess?

vegasbob
01-23-2020, 05:55 PM
More like a definite maybe, when and if, unless of course conditions change. The "uncertain" from whichever spokesperson is pretty weak. Pedey , for whom there was a slight ray of hope, is well done, fully baked, over, needs to move on, collect his remaining pay and come to old-timer events, maybe even a Day at Fenway in the warm summer where he can announce to 35,000 faithful and his former teammates, "It wasn't me"

jung
01-23-2020, 07:29 PM
More like a definite maybe, when and if, unless of course conditions change. The "uncertain" from whichever spokesperson is pretty weak. Pedey , for whom there was a slight ray of hope, is well done, fully baked, over, needs to move on, collect his remaining pay and come to old-timer events, maybe even a Day at Fenway in the warm summer where he can announce to 35,000 faithful and his former teammates, "It wasn't me"

Though I am in sentiment with Pedey's "it isn't me" he never ever should have been shouting that from the Sox dugout. Waaaaaaaaay too many cameras around for that sort of thing and I don't even know what Pedey was trying to accomplish in making that claim to Machado in public and in living color.

mvp 78
01-23-2020, 07:52 PM
Though I am in sentiment with Pedey's "it isn't me" he never ever should have been shouting that from the Sox dugout. Waaaaaaaaay too many cameras around for that sort of thing and I don't even know what Pedey was trying to accomplish in making that claim to Machado in public and in living color.

He’s just a dumb baseball player. They aren’t known for their smarts.

Sox75
01-23-2020, 08:06 PM

Look....

I agree! He broke the code! Guilty as charged.
For WHATEVER REASON, Pedey did not agree with the standard mlb punishment of plunking a guy who took our guy out.

I DON'T have a flippin clue why, but I'm not sure his head was in it at that time. He's hurt, & he's thinking it was just a bang bang play, & he just wants to focus on his knee & be done with it. He, for whatever REASON, doesn't want the standard retribution to defend his honor.

He was wrong!

It turns out to be CAREER ENDING.

Maybe he knew it was BAD, & he just was hoping against hope it was no big deal, & didn't want any more focus on it.

He F'd up, & wanted to play noble.

Jesus f'n Christ! He f'd up, & still isn't playing the b!+ch.
He keeps working his ass off trying to come back, & can't handle that it's over.

Holy f'n christ! We're gonna BURY A FUCKING Red Sox modern day legend for this?

What the fuck is wrong with people?

Holy shit! How many devastating injuries have you guys fought back from? I know I have way back in the day....
& its absolutely BRUTAL!!!

When your body goes, & there's not a damned thing you can do about it? It is BEYOND GUT WRENCHING!
Like nothing most could ever imagine. A TOTAL LOSS of the identity you worked, bled, Sweat, cried, & died over.

He f'd up & didn't have his guy's backs, when they wanted retribution for him. Got it.

For this, we destroy our own?

WTF? Are some of you literally insane with your internet sports punditry?

Good on ya!

Too fucking cool by 1/2!

Slasher9
01-24-2020, 08:10 AM
maybe he is just "rehabbing so hard" to feel less guilty about the $14MM per year he is collecting? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
have you actually seen him rehabbing? have you watched him workout everyday?
its not me....

Bellhorn04
01-24-2020, 08:14 AM
maybe he is just "rehabbing so hard" to feel less guilty about the $14MM per year he is collecting? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
have you actually seen him rehabbing? have you watched him workout everyday?
its not me....

Whatever you think about the guy, does he really strike you as the type who would rather not play than play?

moonslav59
01-24-2020, 08:29 AM
Whatever you think about the guy, does he really strike you as the type who would rather not play than play?

I'm with you, Bell.

Slasher9
01-24-2020, 08:37 AM

nope. i think he would cut off a finger if it meant he could keep playing. but the other possibility i listed is....possible.

mvp 78
01-24-2020, 09:04 AM

I do think he'd rather play. His body just isn't up for it. I always assumed that his career would be cut short or severely hampered because how he played on the field (play hard, but sometimes do stupid shit like dive headfirst into 1b).

Sox75
01-24-2020, 12:29 PM
Ah, now the standard is, "Pedey needs videos proving he's 'really working hard to earn the contract he would collect either way, because it's "possible" he might not be trying that hard?

ok... yep. Makes perfect sense.

String the f'er up! He's stealing from the Sox, & is likely a freeloader.

Definitely sounds like Pedey!

Slasher9
01-24-2020, 01:27 PM
Ah, now the standard is, "Pedey needs videos proving he's 'really working hard to earn the contract he would collect either way, because it's "possible" he might not be trying that hard?

ok... yep. Makes perfect sense.

String the f'er up! He's stealing from the Sox, & is likely a freeloader.

Definitely sounds like Pedey!

did "it's not me, it's them" sound like dirtdog pedroia?

mvp 78
01-24-2020, 01:35 PM

New poll:

1. Woof woof
2. Grrrrrr
3. Arf arf
4. Yip yip

Slasher9
01-24-2020, 01:40 PM
New poll:

1. Woof woof
2. Grrrrrr
3. Arf arf
4. Yip yip

#4.

mvp 78
01-24-2020, 01:41 PM
#4.

Polling is now closed. Pedroia clearly said "yip yip."

Sox75
01-24-2020, 04:23 PM

I've already acknowledged that this was inexplicable?

I totally understand the bewilderment over that, & I was similarly irritated by it then, & afterward.

Still....

This was not a deal breaker for me.
I was irritated with his response!
It was NOT a baseball TEAM response!
You always have your guy's back, & you NEVER throw your boys under the bus!
He blew it there! No doubt about it!
I'm still perplexed, & it made no sense.

I have to guess there was something I'm not totally getting there, but nonetheless, it was not right.

As I recall, there was major team chaos at that time?
I may be off, but there were several shitstorms swirling?

My other points still stand?
He is, & always will be, a great RS dirtdog!

:)

Kimmi
05-26-2020, 10:13 AM
Dustin Pedroia, Team Leader, Great Teammate

Dustin Pedroia walked in, Boston Red Sox team meeting room went quiet; ‘That’s the epitome of how much everybody respects him’

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/05/dustin-pedroia-walked-in-boston-red-sox-team-meeting-room-went-quiet-thats-the-epitome-of-how-much-everybody-respects-him.html

Nick
05-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Let's look at this from humane perspective....

He needs to just stay home, take care of his family, cash the paychecks....his well being is more important but he needs to understand that...quit being selfish...think about the wife and the kids....I'm pretty sure they don't want to see him suffer with another setback which is bound to happen....

TedWilliams101
05-28-2020, 12:11 AM
We are probably looking at 9 games played over 4+ seasons for $56 million. I hate guaranteed contracts. They should have moved on from him 2 years ago.

mvp 78
05-28-2020, 08:13 AM
We are probably looking at 9 games played over 4+ seasons for $56 million. I hate guaranteed contracts. They should have moved on from him 2 years ago.

No, they should have traded him 5+ years ago.

Bellhorn04
05-28-2020, 09:43 AM
no, they should have traded him 5+ years ago.

Stipulated.

mvp 78
05-28-2020, 10:45 AM
Stipulated.

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.