PDA

View Full Version : WEBER=UNDER RATED & oVER lOOKED

bosoxmal
09-21-2019, 07:33 PM
Has all the tools. Including command, stuff, arm extension, deceptive delivery.

Good example of a manager who doesn't know a good pitching prospect when he sees one.

Probably too late to give him a "Fall Start". But I hope he gets a real chance wham spring training rolls around.

moonslav59
09-21-2019, 07:49 PM
I thought you gave up on him.

notin
09-22-2019, 08:13 AM
It’s time to. Weber is winding down his Red Sox career, and, at age 29, isn’t often considered a prospect...

Jasonbay44
09-22-2019, 08:55 AM
He’s a journeyman with a 5 ERA. He sucks

a700hitter
09-22-2019, 09:13 AM
The whole pen except Workman and possibly Barnes suck. We need 2 trucks to haul away all of the garbage that we have in the bullpen.

notin
09-22-2019, 09:15 AM
The whole pen except Workman and possibly Barnes suck. We need 2 trucks to haul away all of the garbage that we have in the bullpen.

I would say Taylor, while not great, was a pleasant surprise...

Jasonbay44
09-22-2019, 09:17 AM
I would say Taylor, while not great, was a pleasant surprise...

I don't want them pitching in so many high leverage situations, but Taylor and Walden are decent middle relievers.

a700hitter
09-22-2019, 09:19 AM
I would say Taylor, while not great, was a pleasant surprise...and his ERA was climbing as the league saw more of him. I could live with him as a 4th or 5th option. I could also live with him being hauled away on the garbage truck.

jung
09-22-2019, 10:00 AM
This is not an informed opinion because I am looking at Weber through the lens of where MLB has taken pitching for at least the last 10 years and I really cannot play one (Weber) off the other (MLB intentions for the last 10 years) in a truly meaningful way. Much more confident about what MLB has been doing to pitching than I am about where Weber has been.

That said, Weber at 29 may well have gone almost an entire career simply incapable of generating what MLB was looking for from pitching....that being heat. While "Gas Grill" is now part of a wave of junkers that is part of one of the things that makes baseball ....baseball, the natural tendency to course correct even when powerful influences are trying to manipulate it in a certain direction. At 29, probably too late for Weber.

I like watching him pitch. I will give him that. His ball breaks a foot and he throws strikes. But at 29 and not more than a relief pitcher I am not real convinced he has much of a future other than bouncing around in what has become a cesspool of rotten MLB pitching.

notin
09-22-2019, 10:11 AM
and his ERA was climbing as the league saw more of him. I could live with him as a 4th or 5th option. I could also live with him being hauled away on the garbage truck.

I doubt the Sox - or most teams - will have 7 better options in the bullpen.

I think the foundation for the 2020 pen includes Workman, Barnes, Hernandez, and Taylor. If anyone else makes it, Marcus Walden has a chance, although he is more likely to be the 2020 version of Ryan Brasier. ( Love to see the Sox trade career minor leaguer Walden for career minor leaguer Mike Yastrzemski.) Hembree might be offered arbitration and make maybe $2mill.

Brewer lost his biggest fan in DD. Wright should be non-tendered. And hopefully we’re seeing the last of Brian Johnson...