PDA

View Full Version : The Gravity of Andrew Benintendi's Slow Start

mvp 78
05-15-2019, 02:22 PM
Many posters on here have noticed an increase in mass for Benintendi. He came up originally at 170 and was up to 185 last season. He's surely more than that now, right?

Well, he looks slow and per statcast, he's gone from JBJ/Xander speed to Pearce speed over the course of one offseason. What gives?

He said in the past it's been hard for him to put on weight, but that certainly isn't the case. Are the Sox at fault for not monitoring him? Is there some other issue contributing to his speed loss?

Slasher9
05-15-2019, 02:35 PM
the first week of the season there was a sinking line drive that he didnt get to. it was exactly the line drive he caught vs Houston in the ALCS that was the difference maker. glad he wasnt chubby last October.
I just checked his IG feed. he doesnt post many pix at all but the 2 from feb/march he definitely looks like he was eating/drinking very well this winter.

Bellhorn04
05-15-2019, 02:35 PM
Italian guys love to eat, especially carbs of course, and you really have to keep an eye on them.

mvp 78
05-15-2019, 02:39 PM
https://mlb-baseball-news.com/wpw-on-field-red-sox-rays-benintendi-holt-snell/

Not trying to fat shame anyone here. It's easy to pick and choose pictures from prior years where he looks a little bigger too.

Kimmi
05-15-2019, 04:45 PM
It's the hair, or lack thereof.

He needs to grow the hair back.

vegasbob
05-15-2019, 06:37 PM
Maybe grow some cojones too, so he can compete at the MLB level again. BTW, he is chubby

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 05:25 AM
It's the hair, or lack thereof.

He needs to grow the hair back.

The lack of hair has reduced his sprint speed?

Bellhorn04
05-16-2019, 06:16 AM
Maybe grow some cojones too, so he can compete at the MLB level again. BTW, he is chubby

2 for 4 with a walk last night.

.803 OPS

It's not like he's sucking.

notin
05-16-2019, 07:07 AM

It’s a Sampson thing...

notin
05-16-2019, 07:08 AM

.803 OPS

Absolutely.

But when the Sox have 2 offensive black holes in the lineup, it does put more pressure on Benintendi...

bkzwhitestrican
05-16-2019, 08:39 AM
Well since Panda left a couple years ago and Hanley left last year, someone else needs to fill the role of fattest player on the team. Could end up being Devers though!

jacksonianmarch
05-16-2019, 08:58 AM
You guys are brutal. Beni has been solid if not unspectacular this far. You’re looking to find something that isn’t there

Slasher9
05-16-2019, 09:28 AM
. You’re looking to find something that isn’t there

LMFAO.
tell me more how Sale is no longer an Ace.....

jacksonianmarch
05-16-2019, 09:32 AM
LMFAO.
tell me more how Sale is no longer an Ace.....

If Beni saw an exit velo drop akin to what Sale's velo drop was, then I'd believe it

Slasher9
05-16-2019, 09:56 AM
If Beni saw an exit velo drop akin to what Sale's velo drop was, then I'd believe it

per statcast, he's gone from JBJ/Xander speed to Pearce speed over the course of one offseason.

Maxbialystock
05-16-2019, 10:44 AM
This is one nutty thread. I myself have criticized Beni this year and do think he has slowed. Shame on him.

That said, it is not, as the thread title implies, a grave matter--at least, not for the team.

First and foremost, other OPS are also down from last year: Mookie, JDM, and Bogaerts--and theirs are down more than Beni's, which was .830 last year and is .803 this year. On the other hand, Devers and Vazquez are way up, as is Moreland. Best of all, Chavis OPS is .986 vs. Kinsler's .604 last year.

The only real liability in the lineup is JBJ, and we all know that, as does Cora. Nunez and Pearce are way down too--which is why they are on the bench most of the time. But Sandy Leon's OPS is an almost respectable (for a catcher) .627. Thus are the Sox currently 4th in MLB in runs scored vs. last year's 1st.

In other words, the hitting is not the problem and this thread to me is a tempest in a teapot.

Bellhorn04
05-16-2019, 10:49 AM
This is one nutty thread. I myself have criticized Beni this year and do think he has slowed. Shame on him.

That said, it is not, as the thread title implies, a grave matter--at least, not for the team.

I think the words 'gravity' and 'slow' in the thread title were clever little puns by mvp - the extra weight is causing gravity to slow AB down.

Slasher9
05-16-2019, 10:53 AM

First and foremost, other OPS are also down from last year: Mookie, JDM, and Bogaerts--and theirs are down more than Beni's, which was .830 last year and is .803 this year. On the other hand, Devers and Vazquez are way up, as is Moreland. Best of all, Chavis OPS is .986 vs. Kinsler's .604 last year.

The only real liability in the lineup is JBJ, and we all know that, as does Cora. Nunez and Pearce are way down too--which is why they are on the bench most of the time. But Sandy Leon's OPS is an almost respectable (for a catcher) .627. Thus are the Sox currently 4th in MLB in runs scored vs. last year's 1st.

In other words, the hitting is not the problem and this thread to me is a tempest in a teapot.

ahhhh....offense only. maybe he can DH?

moonslav59
05-16-2019, 11:02 AM
May 16, 2018:

Beni's OPS was .792. This year's fat OPS is ahead of last year's skinny one.

JBJ's OPS was .520 and dropped to .502 on May 19th before rebounding by hitting .791 the rest of the way (not counting his explsive post season).

Vaz was at .435 (worse than JBJ now).
Leon as at .454.
Nunez was at .610
Bogey was at .875.
Holt was at .887 (.449 in 2017).
JD M was at 1.024.
Betts was at 1.166.

As ICP would say, Chavis was just a nut stain in his mamma's drawers.

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:07 PM

.803 OPS

He's slower tho. Isn't that a little concerning?

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:08 PM
I think the words 'gravity' and 'slow' in the thread title were clever little puns by mvp - the extra weight is causing gravity to slow AB down.

At least someone gets it.

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:08 PM

Exit velocity of him getting his fat ass out of the box.

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:09 PM
You guys are brutal. Beni has been solid if not unspectacular this far. You’re looking to find something that isn’t there

His missing speed?

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Well since Panda left a couple years ago and Hanley left last year, someone else needs to fill the role of fattest player on the team. Could end up being Devers though!

Devers is faster than Beni right now.

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:13 PM
Shit, a "hobbled" Nunez is faster than 2019 Beni.

Bellhorn04
05-16-2019, 12:15 PM
His SB's are way done, that's for sure.

Maxbialystock
05-16-2019, 12:28 PM
At least someone gets it.

I didn't. My bad. But, while I will occasion attack Beni or almost anyone on a bad night, in the aggregate i'm not that concerned even though it sure does look as though he has slowed down. I will almost guarantee, however, that, if Beni regains his speed and goes wild on the basepaths, he will immediately be labelled stupid for any mistake he makes.

Speaking of the effects of gravity, I think it is fair to say that neither Devers nor Vazquez will ever compete in the featherweight class--heavyweight, most likely. Yet Devers leads the team by a bunch with steal attempts, 8, and caught stealing, 3. And Vazquez has the same number of attempted steals, 3, as probably the fastest baserunner and formerly best base-stealer on the team, Betts.

Beni, FWIW, has 3 steals and was caught once. Mookie stole 2 and was caught once. JBJ has stolen 3 of 3 and Nunez 4 of 5.

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Time to 1b down. Sprint speed is down.

Slasher9
05-16-2019, 12:56 PM
Time to 1b down. Sprint speed is down.

+ the line drives he aint getting to this season. if his girth equated to Dingah's it would be a tradeoff. that isnt the case....

Maxbialystock
05-16-2019, 01:23 PM

Meh. Mookie's SB's are down even more. He used to lead the team in steals. So far this year he's attempted 3 and was caught once. Beni has attempted 4 and been caught once.

Bellhorn04
05-16-2019, 01:39 PM
+ the line drives he aint getting to this season. if his girth equated to Dingah's it would be a tradeoff. that isnt the case....

"Panda" Benintendi

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 02:10 PM
Nobody cares about steals totals. We care about how fucking slow the guy is now. Jeez.

My question is it because of additional weight, small sample size or an underlying injury. It's a fair topic. If his sprint speed was the same as last year, his weight would be a red herring.

Bellhorn04
05-16-2019, 02:22 PM
My question is it because of additional weight, small sample size or an underlying injury. It's a fair topic.

Sure it's a fair topic. I just don't think anyone can answer the question.

notin
05-16-2019, 02:36 PM
"Panda" Benintendi

Hey if it gets him a .903 OPS...

Kimmi
05-16-2019, 04:25 PM

The lack of hair has messed with his mojo, which affects everything.

Kimmi
05-16-2019, 04:26 PM

Apparently, that distinction now belongs to Sandy Leon.

mvp 78
05-16-2019, 08:58 PM
Sure it's a fair topic. I just don't think anyone can answer the question.

We figured out that clutch exists, so we got this one too.

moonslav59
05-16-2019, 09:18 PM
We figured out that clutch exists, so we got this one too.

Yes, Clutch exists....

Proof that Clutch exists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(mascot))

mvp 78
05-20-2019, 08:34 AM
Last night, I had a dream that I was at Yankees stadium and Beni hit a HR to RF to start off the game. For whatever reason, he was really emotional on his way to 1b. It was very sweet. Then I woke up and remembered that we had fat Beni this year. :*(

notin
05-20-2019, 08:38 AM
Last night, I had a dream that I was at Yankees stadium and Beni hit a HR to RF to start off the game. For whatever reason, he was really emotional on his way to 1b. It was very sweet. Then I woke up and remembered that we had fat Beni this year. :*(

Go back to sleep

notin
05-20-2019, 08:39 AM
Yes, Clutch exists....

Proof that Clutch exists (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clutch_(mascot))

I don’t believe in that mascot.

Thunder
05-20-2019, 09:24 AM
The lack of hair has messed with his mojo, which affects everything.

The hair shaved 10 pounds off, but he compensated by adding twice as much in blubber

Thunder
05-20-2019, 09:24 AM

Well, I'll be at the next game we play in New York, so here's to hoping.

Thunder
05-20-2019, 09:25 AM
To give my opinion on this matter, I am a little concerned with his lack of production, but am not quite in full panic mode. I'm not yet convinced that this is a long term issue

mvp 78
05-20-2019, 09:30 AM
To give my opinion on this matter, I am a little concerned with his lack of production, but am not quite in full panic mode. I'm not yet convinced that this is a long term issue

He started off slow last year too. He really started to hit his stride the end of last May. He's fine. I don't think it's a problem yet. It's weird that his noticeably slower this year though. That does really impact his long term value unless he can boost the power numbers. The k rate is at a career high right now too.

Slasher9
05-20-2019, 09:57 AM

hahahahaha. epic.

oldtimer
05-27-2019, 08:14 PM
He started off slow last year too. He really started to hit his stride the end of last May. He's fine. I don't think it's a problem yet. It's weird that his noticeably slower this year though. That does really impact his long term value unless he can boost the power numbers. The k rate is at a career high right now too.

His average is slipping of late and his strikeouts seem high but when I looked it was 7 in the last 7 days. Not good for a leadoff hitter but more than we would like certainly.

vegasbob
05-27-2019, 08:20 PM
I think the fail is using Pops as a lead off hitter. He needs to be a #6 or #7 guy, given his production. Other than Betts there is not a true leadoff hitter with a good OBP and power.

moonslav59
05-27-2019, 08:34 PM
Beni still has a .353 OBP, so I don't think it is time to panic.

(He's .370 career vs RHPs and .319 vs LHPs, but this year his OBP vs LHPs is better.)

Thunder
05-27-2019, 09:17 PM
Beni still has a .353 OBP, so I don't think it is time to panic.

(He's .370 career vs RHPs and .319 vs LHPs, but this year his OBP vs LHPs is better.)

I'm with you. He did have a couple of good ABs today, and as long as he keeps getting on base, he's doing the job of a leadoff man

moonslav59
05-27-2019, 09:22 PM
I'm with you. He did have a couple of good ABs today, and as long as he keeps getting on base, he's doing the job of a leadoff man

I'd prefer .380+ from our lead off guy, but I think Beni will hit near that from here on out.

Thunder
05-27-2019, 09:26 PM
I'd prefer .380+ from our lead off guy, but I think Beni will hit near that from here on out.

Wow, your standards are definitely higher than mine

moonslav59
05-27-2019, 09:51 PM
Wow, your standards are definitely higher than mine

Well, he hit .366 last year, and he's not yet at prime, so my hopes are he can get near .380.

.380+ is ideal for your lead off guy, but I'm fine with .366.

Jasonbay44
05-27-2019, 10:23 PM
I still prefer Mookie at lead off and I think it may be some kind of mental thing with Beni hitting lead off. After today he is now 3-39 in the first inning of games, which could just be an absurd coincidence, but who knows. There is some guys who for whatever reason struggled hitting lead off or just didn't like doing it.

moonslav59
05-27-2019, 10:41 PM
I still prefer Mookie at lead off and I think it may be some kind of mental thing with Beni hitting lead off. After today he is now 3-39 in the first inning of games, which could just be an absurd coincidence, but who knows. There is some guys who for whatever reason struggled hitting lead off or just didn't like doing it.

Maybe a fluke, since he's 14 for 40 (.350 BA and .500 OBP) the other times he leads off an inning.

Slasher9
05-28-2019, 07:45 AM
Maybe a fluke, since he's 14 for 40 (.350 BA and .500 OBP) the other times he leads off an inning.

needs to shut Fortnite off 30 minutes earlier before the game.

Station 13
05-28-2019, 07:57 AM
I think the fail is using Pops as a lead off hitter. He needs to be a #6 or #7 guy, given his production. Other than Betts there is not a true leadoff hitter with a good OBP and power.

Has Benni been hitting the ball to LF as he has last year? He was the top leader at hitting to left. That's how his approach should be. Now he might be trying to pull too much for HR, which gives up a bigger check next year at abitration.

Thunder
05-28-2019, 08:28 AM

I definitely prefer Mookie leading off as well. Not everybody was born to be a leadoff hitter

moonslav59
05-28-2019, 09:19 AM
I definitely prefer Mookie leading off as well. Not everybody was born to be a leadoff hitter

I'd like Mookie at lead off and second.

The only way I'd move Betts to lead off would be to put Bogey 2nd.

1. Betts
2. Bogey
3. Beni
4. JD
5. Devers
6. Moreland-Chavis
7. Chavis- Pearce
8. Vaz
9. JBJ

Slasher9
05-28-2019, 10:07 AM
I'd like Mookie at lead off and second.

The only way I'd move Betts to lead off would be to put Bogey 2nd.

1. Betts
2. Bogey
3. Beni
4. JD
5. Devers
6. Moreland-Chavis
7. Chavis- Pearce
8. Vaz
9. JBJ

i'm sorry...i love devers in the 3 hole. and i dont care about the weakest hitter in the 3hole argument/statistic/analysis/statcast/

moonslav59
05-28-2019, 10:22 AM
i'm sorry...i love devers in the 3 hole. and i dont care about the weakest hitter in the 3hole argument/statistic/analysis/statcast/

I'd be fine with flipping Devers with Beni. My main wish is for JD to stay batting 4th.

Kimmi
05-28-2019, 05:07 PM

I prefer Mookie at lead off as well.

It may be my imagination, but it seems to me like the opposing pitcher has had a very easy first inning too many times.

Kimmi
05-28-2019, 05:11 PM
Quick check of some numbers:

Last year, we scored an average of .60 runs in the first inning, and we scored in the first inning 53 times out of 162 games (32.7%).

This year, we have scored an average of .44 runs in the first inning, and we have scored in the first inning 14 times out of 54 games (25.9%).

It's probably nothing more than random factors, but I still like Mookie batting leadoff.

YastrzemskI
06-04-2019, 09:36 PM
Beni looks clueless at the plate right now. He seems to go fishing for catfish in every at bat.

moonslav59
06-04-2019, 09:43 PM
Beni looks clueless at the plate right now. He seems to go fishing for catfish in every at bat.

True, but somebody- not you- said the same of Devers earlier this year.