PDA

View Full Version : Sox sign Jenrry Mejia...

notin
01-29-2019, 04:21 PM
... to a minor league deal. Mejia is a 29yo former Mets’ closer who hasn’t pitched in MLB since 2015 due to a lifetime ban for PED usage (since rescinded).

He pitched 7 innings in the Mets’ minor leagues last year.

So whose next? Will DD dig up Carter Capps?

mvp 78
01-29-2019, 04:29 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=l131&t=p_pbp&pid=516769

dgalehouse
01-29-2019, 04:31 PM
Now that Mejia is back from his " lifetime " suspension ; maybe there is still hope for Natick to NC .

jacksonianmarch
01-29-2019, 05:12 PM
What is it with New England teams and suspended players....

Hitch
01-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Can't stand this move. He's cheated continuously. Let him rot.

Kimmi
01-29-2019, 05:48 PM
Meh, I'm not a fan of signing a suspended PED user.

Kimmi
01-29-2019, 05:49 PM

Maybe Dave is legitimately becoming desperate.

Kimmi
01-29-2019, 05:50 PM
Can't stand this move. He's cheated continuously. Let him rot.

I agree Hitch.

Bellhorn04
01-29-2019, 05:56 PM
I have mixed feelings. I didn't realize the ban was rescinded. On what grounds did Manfred rescind it?

Kimmi
01-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Problem solved.

What problem?

Northern Star
01-29-2019, 06:01 PM
Career 0.7 WAR.

I said it before, no to any former Mets players, especially pitchers, and ESPECIALLY ones who can't stop being suspended for PEDs.

I know it's only a minor league deal, but isn't there ANYONE else out there with a better track record who's available.

Jack Flap
01-29-2019, 06:07 PM
It almost seems insulting to your run-of-the-mill trash heap refuse to call this "dumpster diving"...it's more like peeling off the five-year-old wad of gum that was stuck to the underside of the dumpster.

harmony
01-29-2019, 06:12 PM
What problem?
Last week I speculated that the Red Sox would sign a minor league deal with a reliever who would go on to win the Reliever of the Year Award.

Shame on me for being optimistic.:)

bkzwhitestrican
01-29-2019, 06:20 PM
Now that Mejia is back from his " lifetime " suspension ; maybe there is still hope for Natick to NC .

Please no

Kimmi
01-29-2019, 06:33 PM
Last week I speculated that the Red Sox would sign a minor league deal with a reliever who would go on to win the Reliever of the Year Award.

Shame on me for being optimistic.:)

Ah.

I happen to agree with your optimism, though I think you're being facetious.

I responded that often times your best relievers come out of nowhere.

Kimmi
01-29-2019, 06:34 PM
I have mixed feelings. I didn't realize the ban was rescinded. On what grounds did Manfred rescind it?

I am interested to know why the ban was rescinded.

Anyone?

jacksonianmarch
01-29-2019, 06:36 PM
It almost seems insulting to your run-of-the-mill trash heap refuse to call this "dumpster diving"...it's more like peeling off the five-year-old wad of gum that was stuck to the underside of the dumpster.

This is dumpster scraping

jacksonianmarch
01-29-2019, 06:37 PM

Anyone?

Because he pretty please pinky swore he wouldn’t use steroids again

Jack Flap
01-29-2019, 07:57 PM
Pretty sure if this dude can make a comeback after three positive tests, we can let Bonds and Clemens in the HOF.

notin
01-29-2019, 08:11 PM

Anyone?

Mostly because MLB has a long history of making lifetime bans not last a lifetime. I believe Steve Howe received multiple lifetime bans back in the 1980’s...

a700hitter
01-29-2019, 08:12 PM
This guy is a trainwreck.

Bellhorn04
01-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Say this, he doesn't have much in the way of expectations to live up to.

Northern Star
01-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Life means life (except when it doesn't)

Northern Star
01-29-2019, 08:40 PM
Say this, he doesn't have much in the way of expectations to live up to.

If he rounds up his career WAR to 1.0, do we consider that enough of an achievement?

Bellhorn04
01-29-2019, 08:41 PM
This is dumpster scraping

That's actually pretty good.

Bellhorn04
01-29-2019, 08:44 PM
If he rounds up his career WAR to 1.0, do we consider that enough of an achievement?

If he throws one more pitch in a regular season major league baseball game, that would clearly exceed the expectations of most.

Nick
01-29-2019, 09:00 PM

Anyone?

Logic I read was he was pitching so poorly no way he was cheating.

harmony
01-29-2019, 10:07 PM

Anyone?
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-reinstates-pitcher-jenrry-mejia/c-284514412

Larry Cook
01-29-2019, 11:24 PM
This dudes needs to drink plenty of Gatorade because before every game this year, he is going to have to pee in the cup.

notin
01-30-2019, 05:53 AM
Seriously though, can Carter Capps be far behind?

Bellhorn04
01-30-2019, 07:30 AM
Seriously though, can Carter Capps be far behind?

You just like saying Carter Capps.

notin
01-30-2019, 07:42 AM
You just like saying Carter Capps.

Who doesn’t?

I was thinking of naming my daughter Carter Capps...

cp176
01-30-2019, 07:44 AM
Who doesn’t?

I was thinking of naming my daughter Carter Capps...

likely better than naming her Shittheed (which someone actually did) but not by much.

notin
01-30-2019, 07:49 AM
likely better than naming her Shittheed (which someone actually did) but not by much.

Oh no. Only baseball names only around here. And little Brock Dyckshoorn Notin knew what she was getting into...

TylerD
01-30-2019, 09:22 AM

They like giving second chances..... Maybe he will play with a chip on his shoulder unno...

BillyWilliams
01-30-2019, 10:14 AM
This dudes needs to drink plenty of Gatorade because before every game this year, he is going to have to pee in the cup.

Just better hope he doesn't slip up and drink one of papi's leftover "milkshakes"!!

;)

mvp 78
01-30-2019, 10:58 AM

What is it with New York teams and suspended players....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2016/05/09/yankees-aroldis-chapman-back-from-domestic-violence-suspension-i-didnt-do-anything/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.7fc7b5c7c98a

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/steroids_baseball.shtml

Zero Sox on the above list.

mvp 78
01-30-2019, 11:03 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suspensions_in_the_National_Football_Leagu e#Suspensions_for_violating_the_substance_policies

16 drug suspensions for the Giants.

10 for the Patriots.

dgalehouse
01-30-2019, 11:53 AM
It is hard to put the steroid stuff aside , but putting it aside , Mejia is a pretty good arm . He might help .

notin
01-30-2019, 12:02 PM
It is hard to put the steroid stuff aside , but putting it aside , Mejia is a pretty good arm . He might help .

It’s been a while since he pitched - he’s thrown all of 7 minor league innings in 3 years. But he was very good once.

Between Mejia and Erasmo Ramirez, DD may have snuck two talented arms into the organization...

fxkatt
01-30-2019, 02:31 PM
I have no problem with the signing. I'm sure he made it out of some sort of re-hab program, or the league would have said NO. But most importantly, in terms of Boston is that Cora knows him well, played with him with the Mets, and knows his character. Every drug user is different, and I'd much rather bring in someone with a history of drug use or ped use than a player with a history of wife battery or sexual abuse. The first is victimless, the latter is anything but that. Consider the first, boycott the latter.

cp176
01-30-2019, 04:11 PM
I don't even know this guy what gets me is all the spout about how bad he is based on steroid use and steroid suspensions. We have had any number of players who have been alleged to have used performance enhances. Does it make things better that not much has been proven? All just rumors right. If any player uses and pays the price for it and attempts to come back, I won't be the one to criticize. It is about those glass houses some of us live in.

dgalehouse
01-30-2019, 04:49 PM
He might just turn out to be an important part of the pen . Right now his biggest attribute is that he will work cheap.

Hitch
01-30-2019, 05:44 PM
I don't even know this guy what gets me is all the spout about how bad he is based on steroid use and steroid suspensions. We have had any number of players who have been alleged to have used performance enhances. Does it make things better that not much has been proven? All just rumors right. If any player uses and pays the price for it and attempts to come back, I won't be the one to criticize. It is about those glass houses some of us live in.

I'd say there is a pretty clear difference between being found guilty of using, twice. And people questioning others.

That said, I don't doubt most of Baseball and professional sports are juicing so I see the point.

Kimmi
01-30-2019, 06:01 PM
Mostly because MLB has a long history of making lifetime bans not last a lifetime. I believe Steve Howe received multiple lifetime bans back in the 1980’s...

So, why even bother?

Kind of stupid, if you ask me.

Kimmi
01-30-2019, 06:03 PM
https://www.mlb.com/news/mlb-reinstates-pitcher-jenrry-mejia/c-284514412

Thanks for posting this Harmony.

I still think it's ridiculous. It's not like he only messed up one time and they're willing to give him a second chance.

Kimmi
01-30-2019, 06:06 PM
I'd say there is a pretty clear difference between being found guilty of using, twice. And people questioning others.

That said, I don't doubt most of Baseball and professional sports are juicing so I see the point.

MLB players are not reacting very kindly to this signing.

Jasonbay44
01-30-2019, 06:24 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/01/29/reliever-mejia-agrees-to-minor-league-contract-with-red-sox/38973907/

I thought this was pretty funny quote from Peter Moylan lol.

Hitch
01-30-2019, 06:41 PM
MLB players are not reacting very kindly to this signing.

Yeah, you can totally understand why.

Bellhorn04
01-30-2019, 06:41 PM
I have such mixed feelings on this one. The guy was an idiot and probably deserves not to play again.

Then again, he's still a young man, and hopefully he's genuinely sorry. Is the world a better place by giving him one more chance, or by denying him that one more chance? In real life, sad it is to say, people can kill other people and not get life sentences.

notin
01-30-2019, 07:08 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2019/01/29/reliever-mejia-agrees-to-minor-league-contract-with-red-sox/38973907/

I thought this was pretty funny quote from Peter Moylan lol.

I don’t follow Moylan on Twitter, but some of his tweets I have seen in the past do make me think he’s kind of a tool. Maybe I just catch him on bad days...

notin
01-30-2019, 07:10 PM
I have such mixed feelings on this one. The guy was an idiot and probably deserves not to play again.

Then again, he's still a young man, and hopefully he's genuinely sorry. Is the world a better place by giving him one more chance, or by denying him that one more chance? In real life, sad it is to say, people can kill other people and not get life sentences.

He’s playing baseball, not performing surgery on babies. Let’s have some perspective here...

Jasonbay44
01-30-2019, 07:23 PM
I don’t follow Moylan on Twitter, but some of his tweets I have seen in the past do make me think he’s kind of a tool. Maybe I just catch him on bad days...

I randomly see him retweeted on my timeline. He seems pretty funny to me. Trevor Bauer is another interesting guy on Twitter whose tweets pop up a lot.

dgalehouse
01-30-2019, 07:23 PM
Pete Rose says , " What about me ? "

harmony
01-30-2019, 08:21 PM
Jenrry Mejia (28) has more career saves than Carson Smith (14) and Tyler Thornburg (13) combined.

Mejia, Smith and Thornburg rank 1, 2 and 3 in career saves among pitchers currently in the Red Sox organization.

Who ranks fourth with 12 career saves?

dgalehouse
01-30-2019, 08:31 PM

Life in prison often means the same as a lifetime suspension in MLB .

dgalehouse
01-30-2019, 08:33 PM
Jenrry Mejia (28) has more career saves than Carson Smith (14) and Tyler Thornburg (13) combined.

Mejia, Smith and Thornburg ranks 1, 2 and 3 in career saves among pitchers currently in the Red Sox organization.

Who ranks fourth with 12 career saves?

I'll take " Closers " for 40 Alex .

notin
01-30-2019, 08:35 PM

Gamblers like Rose threatened the very integrity of the game. (I think Rose does belong in Cooperstown, just nowhere else near a dugout.)

The PED users actually might think they’re using legal supplements. The gamblers know the rule; it’s been posted in every clubhouse for over a century...

notin
01-30-2019, 08:47 PM
I'll take " Closers " for 40 Alex .

Hint: Take “Starters” next time.

Bigger Hint: His name rhymes with Cyst Kale

Really Big Hint: It’s Chris Freakin’ Sale!!!

Now guess again...

notin
01-30-2019, 08:48 PM
I randomly see him retweeted on my timeline. He seems pretty funny to me. Trevor Bauer is another interesting guy on Twitter whose tweets pop up a lot.

Logan Morrison used to be really good, too.

harmony
01-30-2019, 08:53 PM
Hint: Take “Starters” next time.

Bigger Hint: His name rhymes with Cyst Kale

Really Big Hint: It’s Chris Freakin’ Sale!!!

Now guess again...
Can't get anything past notin.:)

cp176
01-31-2019, 06:47 AM
Gamblers like Rose threatened the very integrity of the game. (I think Rose does belong in Cooperstown, just nowhere else near a dugout.)

The PED users actually might think they’re using legal supplements. The gamblers know the rule; it’s been posted in every clubhouse for over a century...

Agree - Imagine that (once again)

cp176
01-31-2019, 06:53 AM

It was my point and thanks for trying to see it. I do though think that you could use this perspective with respect to many things and in many different ways of life as well. I'm not going to judge any of these users and alleged users primarily because I honestly believe that the people who do the judging may not be using steroids but are likely far from perfect.

Bellhorn04
01-31-2019, 07:53 AM

It's kind of a different deal. The sanctions levied on Rose were severe, but they occurred long after his playing career was over. What we're talking about here is being denied the right to play the game any more.

BillyWilliams
01-31-2019, 10:30 AM
He’s playing baseball, not performing surgery on babies. Let’s have some perspective here...

Bullshit, it's only "perspective" since it was the sox that signed him.

If the Yanks signed him most in here would be outraged.

notin
01-31-2019, 11:21 AM

Says the man making David Ortiz milkshake cracks and somehow ignoring equal time jokes about, oh I don’t know, let’s say Andy Pettitte.

You probably don’t remember specifically, but even back on BDC, my stance has always been more lenient on substance abusers...

Bellhorn04
01-31-2019, 11:22 AM

Bullshit right back at you. First of all, if you're actually reading the posts, a number of Sox fans are unhappy with the signing. Secondly, if it was the Yankees who signed him there would be a split on that as well.

dgalehouse
01-31-2019, 11:52 AM
It's kind of a different deal. The sanctions levied on Rose were severe, but they occurred long after his playing career was over. What we're talking about here is being denied the right to play the game any more.

The Hit King belongs in the Hall . And I don't really like the guy .

notin
01-31-2019, 12:17 PM

That’s really on the Hall, who made the decision not to induct banished players. A decision they made after Mays and Mantle were both briefly and unjustly banished by an extremely judgmental Bowie Kuhn...

BillyWilliams
01-31-2019, 12:44 PM
Bullshit right back at you. First of all, if you're actually reading the posts, a number of Sox fans are unhappy with the signing. Secondly, if it was the Yankees who signed him there would be a split on that as well.

I said most, not all.

BillyWilliams
01-31-2019, 12:47 PM
Says the man making David Ortiz milkshake cracks and somehow ignoring equal time jokes about, oh I don’t know, let’s say Andy Pettitte.

You probably don’t remember specifically, but even back on BDC, my stance has always been more lenient on substance abusers...

I don't remember ignoring any jokes about Pettitte.

And I have no idea what your stance was on bdc. As I said, most would be outraged, you may be one of the few that wouldn't be.

notin
01-31-2019, 12:48 PM
I don't remember ignoring any jokes about Pettitte.

And I have no idea what your stance was on bdc. As I said, most would be outraged, you may be one of the few that wouldn't be.

I wasn’t. Plenty of others were. But I’m the one you called out...

BillyWilliams
01-31-2019, 12:52 PM
I wasn’t. Plenty of others were. But I’m the one you called out...

Called me out on what?

I said most, not all. So therefore not much to "call me out" on............

Bellhorn04
01-31-2019, 01:27 PM
Called me out on what?

You accused notin of bullshit. Jesus, you can't even follow your own posts.

mvp 78
01-31-2019, 01:32 PM

Enshrine him the day after he dies.

notin
01-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Called me out on what?

Well, you said “most would be outraged if he signed with the Yankees.” But to my post you said, and I quote.

“Bullshit. It’s only ‘perspective’ since he signed with the Sox.”

You used my word “perspective” and called bullshit in response to my post. But somehow you’re saying that just because you responded to me and quoted me, your response was directed at others?

Now I’m calling bullshit...

kenmeister
01-31-2019, 02:30 PM

This is a tangent, but it really makes the The Hall of Fame irrelevant when Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro, and Joe Jackson aren't in it.

Oh, and I always thought Tony Oliva should have gotten in too :)

Bellhorn04
01-31-2019, 02:36 PM
This is a tangent, but it really makes the The Hall of Fame irrelevant when Pete Rose, Roger Clemens, Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Jeff Bagwell, Rafael Palmeiro, and Joe Jackson aren't in it.

Bagwell is in.

BillyWilliams
01-31-2019, 03:05 PM

I always thought Gil Hodges was a glaring omission.

BillyWilliams
01-31-2019, 03:07 PM
Well, you said “most would be outraged if he signed with the Yankees.” But to my post you said, and I quote.

“Bullshit. It’s only ‘perspective’ since he signed with the Sox.”

You used my word “perspective” and called bullshit in response to my post. But somehow you’re saying that just because you responded to me and quoted me, your response was directed at others?

Now I’m calling bullshit...

I said that all in one reply, not sure what the big deal is.

You know as well as I do that even a good majority in here that are excusing it now would flip the script if he signed with the Yanks.

Not saying you would, but you know plenty of others would.

notin
01-31-2019, 03:24 PM
I always thought Gil Hodges was a glaring omission.

More glaring omission - Gil Hodges from the Baseball Hall of Fame or Jethro Tull from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Bellhorn04
01-31-2019, 03:48 PM
I said that all in one reply, not sure what the big deal is.

You know as well as I do that even a good majority in here that are excusing it now would flip the script if he signed with the Yanks.

Not saying you would, but you know plenty of others would.

So what exactly was the bullshit part of what notin said again?

mvp 78
01-31-2019, 04:34 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

I don't see the point in engaging with him anymore.

Kimmi
01-31-2019, 06:36 PM

People deserve a 2nd chance. He got a 2nd chance and a 3rd chance, and screwed up both times. I don't think he deserves a 4th chance.

Kimmi
01-31-2019, 06:41 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlKao_Pox5A

I don't see the point in engaging with him anymore.

Don't you think it's a good idea that Notin made this a separate thread so the people could find it?

kenmeister
02-01-2019, 07:09 AM
More glaring omission - Gil Hodges from the Baseball Hall of Fame or Jethro Tull from the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame?

Jethro Tull! :)

(Also good to know Bagwell made it in)

Slasher9
02-01-2019, 12:47 PM
pass on proven PED users.
hard pass on 3x proven PED users.
why did we sign this crumb????!!!
EFF you DD

mvp 78
02-01-2019, 01:42 PM
Don't you think it's a good idea that Notin made this a separate thread so the people could find it?

I have no opinion either way at the moment.

dgalehouse
02-01-2019, 02:02 PM
So what exactly was the bullshit part of what notin said again?

Notin is " The Editor " . Nothing the Editor says should be considered bullshit . He is just doing his job .

Bellhorn04
02-01-2019, 02:27 PM
Notin is " The Editor " . Nothing the Editor says should be considered bullshit . He is just doing his job .

Something tells me you have a beef with notin.

moonslav59
02-01-2019, 02:47 PM

Is this all we have to talk about?

Sadly, that's just about a yes.

notin
02-01-2019, 02:54 PM

Well we could talk about all the new faces in the clubhouse.

I think the attendants staff is bringing on a new intern. I hope he works out.

Also I hear they’re switching from Tide to Gain. I’m not so sure I like this. Tide was good enough last year; why mess with what’s working?

Bellhorn04
02-01-2019, 02:57 PM

I don't know, I think me, you and notin have done a fine job jabbering away the last few months in spite of having no actual baseball news.

dgalehouse
02-01-2019, 05:14 PM
Something tells me you have a beef with notin.

No beef . He is " The Editor " . It is his job to correct all misguided , outdated , erroneous and just plain dumb ideas and opinions . I understand . He is just trying to help us all become better informed , more enlightened posters .

Kimmi
02-01-2019, 05:26 PM
No beef . He is " The Editor " . It is his job to correct all misguided , outdated , erroneous and just plain dumb ideas and opinions . I understand . He is just trying to help us all become better informed , more enlightened posters .

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.

cp176
02-01-2019, 05:57 PM
I don't know, I think me, you and notin have done a fine job jabbering away the last few months in spite of having no actual baseball news.

Seriously - you leave me out. You stat blatters are really something. lol

Northern Star
02-01-2019, 06:32 PM

No, we could post numerous amounts of stats relating to salaries and copied straight from a website.

Bellhorn04
02-01-2019, 06:46 PM
Seriously - you leave me out. You stat blatters are really something. lol

Sorry cp. You show more signs of having a life, if you know what I mean. But you are a mainstay of this fine forum too.

cp176
02-01-2019, 09:03 PM
Sorry cp. You show more signs of having a life, if you know what I mean. But you are a mainstay of this fine forum too.

You are something - in a good way!

notin
02-01-2019, 09:37 PM

I don’t think there has been an off-season this slow since 1868...

moonslav59
02-01-2019, 09:38 PM
No, we could post numerous amounts of stats relating to salaries and copied straight from a website.

LOL,

BTW, I never copy and paste stats.

cp176
02-02-2019, 05:48 AM
You would all appreciate the following more if we were still doing the computation with pencil and paper - wins and losses - era - batting average - rbi's - saves. I'm glad that that is how I learned.

dgalehouse
02-02-2019, 11:22 AM
You would all appreciate the following more if we were still doing the computation with pencil and paper - wins and losses - era - batting average - rbi's - saves. I'm glad that that is how I learned.

There are not a lot of us dinosaurs left .

cp176
02-02-2019, 03:51 PM
There are not a lot of us dinosaurs left .

I'm ok with that too. How about you?

Youk Of The Nation
02-02-2019, 03:59 PM

He still tries once every couple of weeks. He apparently is unaware of how IP addresses work.

dgalehouse
02-02-2019, 04:15 PM
He still tries once every couple of weeks. He apparently is unaware of how IP addresses work.

Maybe not the smartest troll on the Internet. He needs to go to troll graduate school.

dgalehouse
02-02-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm ok with that too. How about you?

I'm okay with it too . Keeps things interesting.