PDA

View Full Version : I Prefer To Be Surprised On A Done Deal...

derekn
12-01-2004, 08:43 AM
I admit that last Thanksgiving 2003 I was actively searching every newspaper online for info regarding Schilling, Foulke and A Rod. When the Schilling and Foulke deal were done, anticipating Arod was even more crazy. Of course, in hingsight, not getting Arod proved pivotal for them winning the World Series....

I have been wondering all along how this offseason would be different from last year.
How many times last year did we hear Arod coming to Boston was imminent?

Now I just read on Boston Globe quoting from Providence Journal that the Sox are talking to the Dbacks about getting Randy Johnson. I have been wondering all along if the Sox were being hush about their targets. Of course, we will Steinbrenner step it up now and freak out.....

I prefer to find out only when the deal is done.

element1151
12-01-2004, 10:10 AM
I don't think this will happen, but look at this from BDD:

http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/RJ_PS_BDD.jpg

Link (http://bostondirtdogs.boston.com/Headline_Archives/2004/12/randy_johnson_t.html)

elsrbueno
12-01-2004, 10:46 AM
That's pretty much all speculation at this point. Randy Johnson never actually SAID he didn't want to come to Boston, but it was widely speculated that he wouldn't come.

I think the Red Sox are not confident that Pedro will resign, hence going after Johnson.

That would be one heck of a rotation with Randy coming to Boston... but it would also be hard to see Arroyo and Lester go.

On one hand, I don't want to see Johnson go to New York or Anaheim and come back to haunt the Red Sox. On the other, the Sox need to think about both now and the future, because they'll never be able to spend like the Yankees. Trading Arroyo and Lester would most likely hurt them down the road.

I'm torn on this rumor. I'd be happy if a deal like this went down, but since Johnson makes $16 mil, it probably means no OC and no Tek

mosox
12-01-2004, 12:09 PM
16 mill a yr. for another two years (he wants a 1 yr. extension) is alot, plus giving up Lester and Arroyo. On the other hand, it keeps RJ out of pinstripes where he could shut down the Sox left handed hitters, and puts the Sox in the next two World Series. Still, in the end, I think the Cards may work out a deal for RJ.

elsrbueno
12-01-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by mosox@Dec 1 2004, 12:09 PM
16 mill a yr. for another two years (he wants a 1 yr. extension) is alot, plus giving up Lester and Arroyo. On the other hand, it keeps RJ out of pinstripes where he could shut down the Sox left handed hitters, and puts the Sox in the next two World Series. Still, in the end, I think the Cards may work out a deal for RJ.
The Cards have the most to offer, that's for sure. The package I read about with Calero, Haren, and possibly Ankiel would be a pretty good return on Johnson. Especially if Ankiel bounces back like people think he will. Plus Calero and Haren are able to contribute immediately.

CrespoBlows
12-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Dec 1 2004, 10:46 AM
That's pretty much all speculation at this point. Randy Johnson never actually SAID he didn't want to come to Boston, but it was widely speculated that he wouldn't come.

I think the Red Sox are not confident that Pedro will resign, hence going after Johnson.

That would be one heck of a rotation with Randy coming to Boston... but it would also be hard to see Arroyo and Lester go.

On one hand, I don't want to see Johnson go to New York or Anaheim and come back to haunt the Red Sox. On the other, the Sox need to think about both now and the future, because they'll never be able to spend like the Yankees. Trading Arroyo and Lester would most likely hurt them down the road.

I'm torn on this rumor. I'd be happy if a deal like this went down, but since Johnson makes $16 mil, it probably means no OC and no Tek
Actually OC is already gone from Boston, there's not a chance in hell he resigns, he wants 4 years, Boston has Hanley on the way up, so sorry OC.

Tek will come back, he's down from 5 years to 4 and 55 million to 44. I expect him to come down to 40 soon.

Pedro made 17.5 last year, so letting him go and picking up Johnson would save us 2 million. Instead of getting Pavano we'd settle for Johnson

Lester won't be a star down the road, he's not good enough, but we shouldn't trade Papelbon if they asked for him.

The only logical choice for the team that can trade for RJ is the Cardinals, they have the pitchers to get it done, the thing is do they have the money?

But overall, this won't happen, I guess were only increasing pressure on New York to either sign Pedro, or for Pedro to sign with us. This deal won't happen also because RJ is a whiny self centered ass hole, he wants out? So waive your no trade clause.

ahhchon
12-01-2004, 03:15 PM
i DO NOT want johnson, giving up way too much go get a 2 year pitcher is not worth it.

john

CrespoBlows
12-01-2004, 03:34 PM
Lester and Arroyo aren't giving up too much.

CalvnHobs6
12-01-2004, 03:54 PM
I don't want to give up Arroyo. He's an outstanding young pitcher that can only get better from here. Not that RJ's on the decline, but I don't think it's worth it taking on his payroll.

derekn
12-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Hmm, maybe with the Unit and Pedro both going to Yankees and Mets, Sox can get
Pavano and Milton.

Pavano and Milton both younger guys have more life in them left than Pedro and RJ......

Perhaps this is what Epstein planned all along?

CrespoBlows
12-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Milton sucks, and will get massacred at Fenway. Maybe Pavano and Radke.

ahhchon
12-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by CrespoBlows@Dec 1 2004, 03:34 PM
Lester and Arroyo aren't giving up too much.
for a pitcher who has 2 years at his level left? yes it is imo. arroyo can only get better, johnson can only get worse. i thought it was the yankees who were trying to build the over 40's rotation and not the sox :-D

john

yeszir
12-01-2004, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by CalvnHobs6@Dec 1 2004, 03:54 PM
I don't want to give up Arroyo. He's an outstanding young pitcher that can only get better from here. Not that RJ's on the decline, but I don't think it's worth it taking on his payroll.
Yea, I agree. Giving up Arroyo for someone as iffy (I use this term sparingly) as RJ is not a great idea. RJ is great, but for how much longer? This team has some serious problems ahead of it in terms of players, and I dont think bringing in a temporary pitcher would be a great solution for it.

yankthis
12-01-2004, 07:39 PM
Who the hek is Lester?

yeszir
12-01-2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by yankthis@Dec 1 2004, 07:39 PM
Who the hek is Lester?
http://www.soxprospects.com/players/lester-john.htm

derekn
12-02-2004, 08:46 AM
"Milton sucks, and will get massacred at Fenway. Maybe Pavano and Radke."

Milton had a comeback year with the Phillies. His numbers would be way better if it had not been for Phillies bullpen and sporadic defense. Only reason why I know about Milton this past year is that I had him for Fantasy Baseball and I WATCHED him like a hawk......