PDA

View Full Version : St. Louis making a push for Peavy again?

St. Louis Carter
07-08-2014, 02:26 PM
I have not seen it in print but my sources inform me that the Cardinals are offering Allen Craig (remember him from his off-the-bench hitting in the WS?) for Jake. Known for his hitting, Craig is an amazing defender. Top drawer at 1B and has never commited an error in the outfield in his 4 year career where he plays the most.

Stay tuned :)

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTEsvsi7IY7dxWTTfOcYx8iLR-i63C2De2rI64OhAMBUHgMIy5cRA

Oh yes...he was the one involved in that weird interference play at 3B giving the Cards the win (game 5 I think)

St. Louis Carter
07-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Well it did not take long for this rumor to be squashed...The Cards GM just released a statement denying that such a trade is in the works. I don't know what to believe now but there is NO doubt that he want's to deal Craig for SOME big name starter, and soon.

jd98
07-08-2014, 02:57 PM
A lot of places are reporting the Cardinals are interested in Peavy. Craig seems to make sense for both teams, and with him greatly underperforming this year, he'd fit right in with the 2014 Sox.

Station 13
07-08-2014, 03:01 PM
Well it did not take long for this rumor to be squashed...The Cards GM just released a statement denying that such a trade is in the works. I don't know what to believe now but there is NO doubt that he want's to deal Craig for SOME big name starter, and soon.

I'm not seeing this denial anywhere.

a700hitter
07-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I can't see getting Craig for Peavy--- maybe Roger Craig. I'd definitely accept the offer of CRaig.

St. Louis Carter
07-08-2014, 03:49 PM
I'm not seeing this denial anywhere. GM Mozielik denied it on a local St. Louis sports show. The word will be out soon I figure. I don't live there anymore so I don't even know the show's name.

St. Louis Carter
07-08-2014, 03:50 PM
I can't see getting Craig for Peavy--- maybe Roger Craig. I'd definitely accept the offer of CRaig.LOL...good one.

Spudboy
07-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Red Sox Report
Peavy trade to Cards could happen soon
July, 8, 2014
Jul 8
3:50
PM ET
By ESPNBoston.com

Comments12
Email
Print

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark, following up on a report that the St. Louis Cardinals are interested in Red Sox right-hander Jake Peavy and sent a scout to Boston to watch his start on Sunday, reported that a source told him a deal could be made "quick."

That leaves open speculation that the Red Sox would like to strike a deal before game time Wednesday, when they would like to activate right-hander Rubby De La Rosa for a start again against the White Sox. That would preclude Boston from having to make another roster move to create space for De La Rosa.

Could it happen that quickly? The Cardinals need rotation help, and they were very close to trading for Peavy at last year's deadline -- so close, that Peavy thought he was going to the Cardinals.

Station 13
07-08-2014, 05:47 PM
GM Mozielik denied it on a local St. Louis sports show. The word will be out soon I figure. I don't live there anymore so I don't even know the show's name.

is it a no comment reply or something? GM usually don't answer anything.

St. Louis Carter
07-08-2014, 05:59 PM
is it a no comment reply or something? GM usually don't answer anything.Sorry, I didn't see the show. All I know is that he "denied" the story. But this GM lies between his teeth on a daily basis. It's VERY possible that he is in contact with other teams and does not want to queer one deal messing around with another.

Just the way I figure it. I could be completely wrong.

vjcsmoke
07-08-2014, 09:23 PM
Sell high on Peavy. The Red Sox need a 1st baseman and the Cardinals need a starting pitcher. Now is the time for the Red Sox to cash in some assets as the trade deadline approaches. We might have to exchange some prospects as well, but I feel the main pieces in a Peavy-Craig deal would benefit both teams.

Palodios
07-08-2014, 10:45 PM
Apparently Ben told Peavy that he may be dealt, according to Peavy.

yankthis
07-08-2014, 11:50 PM
So then Peavy stands a chance of posting a winning record for the year. Poor guy deserves a break like that.

Spudboy
07-09-2014, 07:11 AM
Sell high on Peavy. The Red Sox need a 1st baseman and the Cardinals need a starting pitcher. Now is the time for the Red Sox to cash in some assets as the trade deadline approaches. We might have to exchange some prospects as well, but I feel the main pieces in a Peavy-Craig deal would benefit both teams.

What? Where did you get that idea? What is wrong with Napoli?

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2014, 10:49 AM
The cards would be stupid to deal Craig for Peavy. When at his best, Craig is a middle of the lineup RBI machine. He got hurt last yr and hasn't been the same. He's 29 and should be entering his prime. My bet is that he puts up big numbers next yr when he is fully healthy

Station 13
07-09-2014, 11:13 AM
hearing teams want horseface instead on Jake.

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Which horseface?

Station 13
07-09-2014, 11:29 AM
I didn't know there were more than 1 here.

jacksonianmarch
07-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Teixeira

Palodios
07-09-2014, 11:41 AM
And I want Trout instead of Bradley, but it doesn't mean I'm going to get him.

Why is it that whenever the Red Sox want to trade for a mediocre starting pitcher at the trade deadline, it will cost a bluechip, and whenever they want to trade one away teams are willing to giveup a bag of balls?

Station 13
07-09-2014, 11:53 AM
Teixeira

They ask for Lackey, and he even gets a 100% raise on his 500K if traded. I think we'll keep Lackey.

St. Louis Carter
07-09-2014, 12:34 PM
The cards would be stupid to deal Craig for Peavy. When at his best, Craig is a middle of the lineup RBI machine. He got hurt last yr and hasn't been the same. He's 29 and should be entering his prime. My bet is that he puts up big numbers next yr when he is fully healthyThere's always a chance that Craig will return to form, but 29 is the age where you begin to EXIT your prime. But as Craig is blocking super prospect Oscar Tavares, CBS sports speculates:

"Boston wouldn't mind using talented rookie Rubby De La Rosa in the rotation, and Peavy is currently blocking his path. Additionally, Peavy, a loser of seven straight (though much of that is due to a lack of support) may frankly be better suited to go back to the NL at this stage of his career"

St. Louis Carter
07-09-2014, 12:40 PM
Sell high on Peavy. The Red Sox need a 1st baseman and the Cardinals need a starting pitcher. Now is the time for the Red Sox to cash in some assets as the trade deadline approaches. We might have to exchange some prospects as well, but I feel the main pieces in a Peavy-Craig deal would benefit both teams.I see that Jake has had limited innings in the last 2 years. Why?

St. Louis Carter
07-09-2014, 04:17 PM
The Cards can probably forget about getting Peavy now, with the announcement that Tanaka was placed on the DL. You know how the Empire covets Bosox players.

Thunder
07-09-2014, 04:22 PM
The Cards can probably forget about getting Peavy now, with the announcement that Tanaka was placed on the DL. You know how the Empire covets Bosox players.

They don't take Sox players mid-season. They wait until free agency and then show our players their wallets.

Station 13
07-09-2014, 04:35 PM

Red Sox don't trade with those crooks.

sk7326
07-09-2014, 04:36 PM
Red Sox don't trade with those crooks.

Mike Stanley would be surprised to hear this. Indeed, way back in 1986, the Red Sox made a key addition with Don Baylor via a deal with ???

Spudboy
07-09-2014, 04:59 PM
I think that if the financial aspect of a deal with the Yankees is there, many trades would and could be done.

Obviously the Sox don't want to "arm" the Yankees to the extent that the Boston team will have even more problems competing within the division.

Money is money. Even to the rich boys that own the Sox.

Spudboy
07-09-2014, 05:04 PM

Not necessarily so.

If the Cards have something the Sox need then I see no reason why a trade for Peavey can not be made. Maybe Craig is someone the Sox want?

a700hitter
07-09-2014, 05:39 PM
Mike Stanley would be surprised to hear this. Indeed, way back in 1986, the Red Sox made a key addition with Don Baylor via a deal with ???Mike Easler

St. Louis Carter
07-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Not necessarily so.

If the Cards have something the Sox need then I see no reason why a trade for Peavey can not be made. Maybe Craig is someone the Sox want?He's been a player that ANY team would want if there was a need for a great fielding, sometime amazing hitter that can man 3 infield positions and the corner outfields.

(La Russa converted him from the infield to RF for stupid reasons, but Craig was the man that made it possible for them to let Pujols go (and Beltran) and free up MUCH money that has been put to good use in locking down Molina and key free agents)

Navafan29
07-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Wow could we actually get Craig? He's awesome from what I've seen from him in the playoffs the last few years. He's clutch too.

BOSOX11
07-10-2014, 12:41 AM
Wish the Cards would take Mujica back.

jad
07-10-2014, 05:53 AM
I don't get this. How many teams are in the market for an old, 1-7 pitcher? Probably the same number that were salivating for Preizinski (or however you spell that). And the same number who couldn't wait to get a chance at a $14mil/year .140 hitting shortstop earlier this season. Or perhaps the same teams who need a .230 hitting mediocre outfielder who will be willing to take complete credit for all their future success.

St. Louis Carter
07-10-2014, 11:13 AM
Wow could we actually get Craig? He's awesome from what I've seen from him in the playoffs the last few years. He's clutch too.Oh definitley. Aside from top prospect Oscar Tavares who seems to be replacing Craig in left, the Cardinals have 2 top notch outfielders in AAA, one of which was ranked #1 prospect ahead of Trout. No trout of course, but no minnow.

In other words, the Cards have Craig and 2 top prospects to dangle for a star pitcher. David Price would throw a wrench in the Peavy plan however, if the Rays decide to keep him for the rest of season due to the fact that they still have a shot at the post-season. Best thing for the Sox scenario is if the Rays stay hot 'till the deadline and keep him. The Cards would be forced to do the Craig/Peavy.

According to sources, the Dodgers and Cards are the front runners in the race for Price. Brother, when it gets to choosing between LA and any Midwestern City, the players always choose white wine and Bree!

http://jun-cdn.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/12431073.jpg
Craig doing what he does best...never letting a ball get past him to the wall in RF

sk7326
07-10-2014, 11:27 AM
I don't get this. How many teams are in the market for an old, 1-7 pitcher? Probably the same number that were salivating for Preizinski (or however you spell that). And the same number who couldn't wait to get a chance at a $14mil/year .140 hitting shortstop earlier this season. Or perhaps the same teams who need a .230 hitting mediocre outfielder who will be willing to take complete credit for all their future success.

Peavy is a good clubhouse guy who has been durable. His contract is expiring also. He may or may not help in October, but if a team wants to get through the marathon, he still has value at a reasonable price.

Station 13
07-10-2014, 01:34 PM
Home Bailey just injured himself in his windup. Another team that could use Pet Peavy.

Station 13
07-10-2014, 01:48 PM
Carter, your GM isn't an idiot to take Peavy for Craig. Despite his bad season, he was money last season and still young. There are 25 other team that will give up something better than Peavy to net Craig. For the Red Sox they might deal Peavy + a prospect.

St. Louis Carter
07-10-2014, 02:20 PM
Carter, your GM isn't an idiot to take Peavy for Craig. Despite his bad season, he was money last season and still young. There are 25 other team that will give up something better than Peavy to net Craig. For the Red Sox they might deal Peavy + a prospect.So he's going to ship away our future in LF (Tavares) for a rent-a-arm? No way. The Cards don't operate that way. But it's not as simple as all that. Craig has a no trade contract 'till 2017. It's a matter of him either platooning with LHB Taveras, or going to a franchise like yours and play every day.

I say his pride won't allow him to go out like that. San Diego would love to have a native son of Craig''s caliber, but I doubt he will go back there after seeing what playing for a bad team did to his teamate Ryan Ludwick.

He has a degree in social welfare so Boston could be a good place for him to end his career. You got poor folks there, doncha?

I kid......but Allen definitely has to get out of the NL and soon. Why? Read this:

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/allen...ew-left-field/

Station 13
07-10-2014, 02:47 PM
No way he is shipping out Tavares. Peavy isn't close to netting Craig back. I'm saying the Red Sox will have to offer more, otherwise many teams can come up better than Peavy to entice your GM.

St. Louis Carter
07-10-2014, 03:10 PM
Makes sense. But I don't think our GM made this overture to yours w/o Craig's consent. What would be the point otherwise?

But Mozielik has more serious problems: Molina. Our best player was just diagnosed with a ligament tear in his thumb. Out for up to 3 months.... Does AJ have a no trade :confused:

Station 13
07-10-2014, 03:15 PM
AJ with a no-trade, his GM needs canning.

AJ+Peavy for Craig? Solves your team SP/C need. We need an offensive OF.

St. Louis Carter
07-10-2014, 03:24 PM

AJ+Peavy for Craig? Solves your team SP/C need. We need an offensive OF.We can only dream. Or as Olberman will say: "They're not...gonna...do it!"

sk7326
07-10-2014, 03:31 PM

AJ+Peavy for Craig? Solves your team SP/C need. We need an offensive OF.

The problem is - like Boston - Saint Louis is a good baseball organization.

Station 13
07-10-2014, 03:37 PM
yeah, AJ isn't exactly wanted around baseball.

sk7326
07-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Allen Craig is a 2014 Tony Phillips sans cocaine. His glove is not great but not awful on the corners, and his bat plays. Or an offensively skewed Ben Zobrist, whatever you like.

St. Louis Carter
07-11-2014, 11:57 AM
yeah, AJ isn't exactly wanted around baseball.I was unaware of that until the local call-in radio shows were alive with the fear that our GM would panic and add him to the Peavy proposition. But Mozielik won't be swayed. Now I read that AJ was DFA'd?!! What gives?

Spudboy
07-11-2014, 12:18 PM
I was unaware of that until the local call-in radio shows were alive with the fear that our GM would panic and add him to the Peavy proposition. But Mozielik won't be swayed. Now I read that AJ was DFA'd?!! What gives?

The official word from the Sox was that AJ was not performing offensively the way that they had hoped when they signed him to be the bridge year catcher to either Vasquez ( AAA )or Swilhart ( AA ). Two highly regarded Catching prospect in our system.

He had been in a massive slump with his BA going down about .030 or so. They wanted to see Vasquez in the bigs ( so they say ). So AJ was released. The Sox are on the hook for the remaining 3.6 mil of his contract for this year.

Of course our lovely media in Boston now has reported that AJ was an outcast and did not fit in on this team. Apparently he favored playing with his iPhone to playing with his teammates.

Also, his defense was unspectacular. Overall, the idea that he would be a suitable one year replacement for Salty was flawed. AJ never saw a pitch that he would not swing at. Especially first pitches. He did not work counts and get an occasional BB. Not exactly the Sox way of doing things. But the Sox knew this when they signed him.

In all, his signing was a waste.

Even so, most Sox fans are glad that Vasquez is now up with the big team.

St. Louis Carter
07-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Thanks Spudboy. After reading that I don't think he would be a good fit in St. Louis. That IPod shit would definatley not fly.

Spudboy
07-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Thanks Spudboy. After reading that I don't think he would be a good fit in St. Louis. That IPod shit would definatley not fly.

Well AJ came with a reputation of being the worst teammate in baseball. I certainly can not speak to the validity of that title. He will get signed by someone and life will go on!!!

Are you a member of redbirds.com? I was on that site briefly in 2010 and got banned simply because I was from Boston and everyone hated the Sox for trouncing the Cards in the World Series. Say hi to all the lovely and mature people on that site for me, will you please? :)

St. Louis Carter
07-11-2014, 01:41 PM
Well AJ came with a reputation of being the worst teammate in baseball. I certainly can not speak to the validity of that title. He will get signed by someone and life will go on!!!

Are you a member of redbirds.com? I was on that site briefly in 2010 and got banned simply because I was from Boston and everyone hated the Sox for trouncing the Cards in the World Series. Say hi to all the lovely and mature people on that site for me, will you please? :)No. Not familiar. I don't like the big forums with dozens and dozens of posters making rapid fire entries and bitching about everything under the sun.

I prefer the "boutique" forums like the link below where you or anybody else (like me) are welcome. We love drop-ins but get very few as the site has a tiny profile on the net. Visitors mostly go to Cards Talk Forum. They banned my ass 5 times for bad mouthing La Russa, so fuck 'em!
http://s7.zetaboards.com/stlouislegends/forum/50602/

Spudboy
07-11-2014, 01:58 PM
No. Not familiar. I don't like the big forums with dozens and dozens of posters making rapid fire entries and bitching about everything under the sun.

I prefer the "boutique" forums like the link below where you or anybody else (like me) are welcome. We love drop-ins but get very few as the site has a tiny profile on the net. Visitors mostly go to Cards Talk Forum. They banned my ass 5 times for bad mouthing La Russa, so fuck 'em!

Lol! Well I want to tell you that I welcome you to Talksox. I don't care that you are a Cards fan. You are a baseball fan and that is what counts! That and being a decent person, that is! And as you know, I love your avatar!

Spudboy
07-11-2014, 02:00 PM

Are you Carter on that site? I'll take a look.

St. Louis Carter
07-11-2014, 02:44 PM

Are you Carter on that site? I'll take a look.I wear no alias!

St. Louis Carter
07-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Lol! Well I want to tell you that I welcome you to Talksox. I don't care that you are a Cards fan. You are a baseball fan and that is what counts! That and being a ndecent person, that is! And as you know, I love your avatar!I'm not sure if the "ndecent" was a typo or what, but any friend of Samartino is a friend O' mine.

Spudboy
07-11-2014, 03:14 PM
It was a typo. I suck at typing!

Wasatch
07-11-2014, 04:10 PM
I won't be sad to see him go.

Station 13
07-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Peavy pitch well again yesterday. He can't buy a win.

Behindenemylines
07-14-2014, 01:17 PM
The cards would be stupid to deal Craig for Peavy. When at his best, Craig is a middle of the lineup RBI machine. He got hurt last yr and hasn't been the same. He's 29 and should be entering his prime. My bet is that he puts up big numbers next yr when he is fully healthy

Don't see the Cards giving up Craig straight up for Peavy. If Peavy continues to pitch like he has the last few starts the Sox should be able to get something of value from a team that believes they need a back end of the rotation starter for a playoff push.

St. Louis Carter
07-19-2014, 07:58 PM
Don't see the Cards giving up Craig straight up for Peavy. If Peavy continues to pitch like he has the last few starts the Sox should be able to get something of value from a team that believes they need a back end of the rotation starter for a playoff push.I don't think Boston will pull the switch on it now. Craig has lost his job in RF to rookie Oscar Tavares. The secret is out: Craig sucks big time. Can't hit a lick.

a700hitter
07-19-2014, 09:30 PM
I don't think Boston will pull the switch on it now. Craig has lost his job in RF to rookie Oscar Tavares. The secret is out: Craig sucks big time. Can't hit a lick.what happened to him? Last year, the guy looked like a pure hitter.

sk7326
07-20-2014, 07:33 AM
To be fair, Tavares is a superstar in waiting - he was going to take somebody's job.

Bellhorn04
07-20-2014, 08:44 AM
To be fair, Tavares is a superstar in waiting - he was going to take somebody's job.

What about Craig, sk? You look at his 162 game averages, he's got an .807 OPS, 20 HR, 101 RBI. But he declined and then fell off completely this year. Just a terrible year or done?

St. Louis Carter
07-20-2014, 06:12 PM
what happened to him? Last year, the guy looked like a pure hitter.It's the inside fastball. He can't lay off it, and he can't hit it.
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/bonus-bytes-a-closer-look-at-allen-craig-s-struggles/article_bee097cf-00a7-53ed-a66c-f078a86cf88f.html

Craig is starting tonight for the Cards vs. Dodgers on ESPN tonite so you can get a look for yourself.

jacksonianmarch
07-21-2014, 08:33 AM
If they deal Peavy for Craig, all sox fans should jump for joy. Craig is a great buy low guy, RH power hitter who kills it in the clutch.

sk7326
07-21-2014, 08:59 AM
What about Craig, sk? You look at his 162 game averages, he's got an .807 OPS, 20 HR, 101 RBI. But he declined and then fell off completely this year. Just a terrible year or done?

Strong buy-low candidate. Good approach, can play the corners. Clearly the injuries have been a problem. But there is a job opening in LF for the right guy - and I'd at least be up for kicking the tires.

St. Louis Carter
07-21-2014, 11:22 AM
Strong buy-low candidate. Good approach, can play the corners. Clearly the injuries have been a problem. But there is a job opening in LF for the right guy - and I'd at least be up for kicking the tires.You may be right. A change of league may work wonders, at least for a couple of months. But the scuttlebutt around St. Louis has shifted from Peavy to Price. Personally I don't believe they will pull the string on Price or ANY high dollar pitcher. Why? Because the Cards only open their wallets for every day players.

The last top starter they aquired was Milt Pappas! (or so my Grampa told me) And he was a major FAIL. We need a .500 type pitcher to anchor the back of the rotation. Peavy could do that and a little more.

St. Louis Carter
07-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Are you Carter on that site? I'll take a look.You must have taken the quickest look in history 'cause I didn't spot a Spud.

Station 13
07-21-2014, 01:51 PM
is Martinez even holding down his rotation spot? I watch a bit of ESPN last night, it said he usually last 5 inning or less. Is he on a strict pitch count or something? Or just get taken out because he was ineffective.

sk7326
07-21-2014, 02:17 PM
is Martinez even holding down his rotation spot? I watch a bit of ESPN last night, it said he usually last 5 inning or less. Is he on a strict pitch count or something? Or just get taken out because he was ineffective.

I know he has been struggling - but life with a move to the rotation. For a team with just gushers of young pitching coming up, he is the most electrifying stuff wise - but just needs a chance to figure it out.

Spitball
07-21-2014, 10:26 PM
The last top starter they aquired was Milt Pappas! (or so my Grampa told me) And he was a major FAIL.

What??? Which team are you talking about, the Reds? Milt Pappas was part of the package the Reds acquired from the Orioles for Frank Robinson. He was no longer considered a top starter when they traded him to the Braves. The Braves basically unloaded him to the Cubs where he had some success. He was never traded to the Cardinals.

St. Louis Carter
07-22-2014, 04:24 AM
What??? Which team are you talking about, the Reds? Milt Pappas was part of the package the Reds acquired from the Orioles for Frank Robinson. He was no longer considered a top starter when they traded him to the Braves. The Braves basically unloaded him to the Cubs where he had some success. He was never traded to the Cardinals.You are correct. The Robinson blunder! Then I don't know WHO was the last dominating starter we acquired. Maybe it was Pete Alexander in '26! :confused:

I see you guys won again last night. 6 or so games from the wild card. 8-2 in the last 10 make you the hottest team in baseball. Good going. Breathing down the backs of the Southsiders and KC.

jad
07-22-2014, 07:04 AM
I still can't believe that other teams don't want an aging, 1-8 Jake Peavy, with his luxurious contract as a bonus. He's got that tough-guy, just-win attitude so characteristic of other present Red Sox superstars (J. Gomes), a powerhouse .230 hitter, who was singularly responsible for the WS last year.

Station 13
07-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Jayson Stark @jaysonst · 20h
Peavy to #STLCards doesn't appear dead. Red Sox dispatched top scouts to watch Cards' New York-Penn League team in last few days.

Palodios
07-26-2014, 10:10 AM
A report coming out this morning that the Red Sox are close to a Peavy trade, possibly to the Giants.

Divinity
07-26-2014, 10:25 AM
Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox for minor league pitchers.

SoxFanForsyth
07-26-2014, 10:36 AM
Jon Heyman reports that the Giants will acquire Peavy from the Red Sox for minor league pitchers.

the fact that it's pitchers (plural) makes me laugh.

Palodios
07-26-2014, 11:02 AM
So.... The Red Sox got Edwin Escobar, Baseball America's #56 prospect this year. No word on the Red Sox eating money yet

What the hell were the Giants thinking?

SoxFanForsyth
07-26-2014, 11:07 AM
So.... The Red Sox got Edwin Escobar, Baseball America's #56 prospect this year. No word on the Red Sox eating money yet

And Heath Hembree, the Giants "future closer". Guy has a career 11.2 K/9 in the minors and 12 K in 7.2 IP at the MLB level. Low BB numbers to (around 3-3.5 per 9)

Plain and simple, the Sox won this deal, no doubt.

Palodios
07-26-2014, 11:26 AM
And Heath Hembree, the Giants "future closer". Guy has a career 11.2 K/9 in the minors and 12 K in 7.2 IP at the MLB level. Low BB numbers to (around 3-3.5 per 9)

Ben had a rough year, but he really looks like he ate San Francisco's lunch here. That's a big league trade for Ben, especially for a guy in Peavy was a few bad starts away from being DFAed. On further inspection, Escobar has had a rough year in AAA, but he's only 22.

a700hitter
07-26-2014, 11:29 AM
Ben is doing a great job!

SoxFanForsyth
07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
Ben had a rough year, but he really looks like he ate San Francisco's lunch here. That's a big league trade for Ben, especially for a guy in Peavy was a few bad starts away from being DFAed. On further inspection, Escobar has had a rough year in AAA, but he's only 22.

Escobar is having a rough year but keep in mind that's in the PCL, where offense is incredibly inflated (JP Arencebia hit like 305/.360/.630 there). He's also got a 7.78 K/9 and a 3.00 BB/9, both of which will play as a middle of the rotation starter. His HR/9 (1.30) jumped up from 0.33 in AA, largely because of the league he's in.

BigPapi
07-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Heath hembree is alan embree.

seabeachfred
07-26-2014, 03:55 PM

They were thinking long and hard about how Peavy has totally dominated the Dodgers during his career with the Padres----something like 15-2 or thereabouts. And remember when he faced last August in Dodger Stadium. He totally discombobulated them, pitching a three hitter and stopping them cold. If he can do that with the Giants that would be swell because I don't want to see those Dodger bastards in the WS---no how, no way.

BOSOX11
07-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Don't sugar-coat it, Fred!:cool:

Bellhorn04
07-26-2014, 04:23 PM
They were thinking long and hard about how Peavy has totally dominated the Dodgers during his career with the Padres----something like 15-2 or thereabouts. And remember when he faced last August in Dodger Stadium. He totally discombobulated them, pitching a three hitter and stopping them cold. If he can do that with the Giants that would be swell because I don't want to see those Dodger bastards in the WS---no how, no way.

Nice work, Fred. Peavy is a career 14-2 vs. the Dodgers with a 2.21 ERA.

jad
07-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Oh no! Losing a 1-9 starter, who was making a mere $15million/yr. The season is lost.

Navafan29
07-26-2014, 06:50 PM
Now that we have more prospects, trade for Gioncarlo Stanton, a couple guys maybe on Victorino's skill level, and another pitcher. Try to win the division next year.

St. Louis Carter
07-26-2014, 07:07 PM
The fucking Giants stole our pitcher!?? Damn! Who else you guys got :confused:

Spudboy
07-26-2014, 08:01 PM
Doubrant and Bucholtz.

a700hitter
07-27-2014, 12:35 PM
Heath hembree is alan embree.He is a genetically engineered combination of Alan Embree and Heathcliff Slocumb.

Behindenemylines
07-27-2014, 06:45 PM

Giants were desperate for SP (Cain is injuried) and Peavy will give them innings. I guess the Sox have to be pleased what they got back. These are additional chips that they have to help the quick rebuild. They can deal from there surplus of young pitchers. They need a young right handed power hitting OF in the worse way though. Peavy pitches tonight, watch him throw a good game tonight.

St. Louis Carter
07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
I tuned in to the SF/LA game last night and Peavy was pitching in the 3rd. In that inning he bounced 5 balls in front of the plate of which 2 got away from the catcher, gave up 3 hits, 2 BB and 4 runs. He really looked like shit. I don't know how he did after that, but from what I saw I have to wonder why a contender would even fuck around with him and the incredibly awful Dan Ugla.

Sometimes I think I don't understand baseball at all.

Yaz Fan Since '67
07-29-2014, 07:14 AM
Still trying to figure out what Peavy's record against the Dodgers has to do with anything. Exactly how many of the current Dodgers were on the team when Peavy faced them in SD?

Spudboy
07-29-2014, 07:27 AM
Still trying to figure out what Peavy's record against the Dodgers has to do with anything. Exactly how many of the current Dodgers were on the team when Peavy faced them in SD?

Lol. This is one of my pet "peeves". It's common for announcers to say a pitcher has done this and that against a team in his career. But really, how is that relevant? As you said, how many on the current roster were on the teams that the pitcher had faced in his career? It's just dumb filler for the masses and pink hats, I guess.

seabeachfred
07-29-2014, 03:44 PM
Lol. This is one of my pet "peeves". It's common for announcers to say a pitcher has done this and that against a team in his career. But really, how is that relevant? As you said, how many on the current roster were on the teams that the pitcher had faced in his career? It's just dumb filler for the masses and pink hats, I guess.

Spud, Peavy pitched against the Dodgers last August and fired a three hit 8-1 win for the Red Sox. There are times a hex over a team stays with that team even after the roster changes. The Dodgers knew they has li ttle success against Jake and Peavy felt he had an inbred talent pitching against them. Strange as it may seem to you and others there is something to be said for this. I'm reminded of two pitchers in the famed Giants-Dodgers rivalry (No. 2 in baseball until this year). For the Giants there was Hall of Famer Juan Marichal, 37-18 lifetime against the Dodgers from 1960 to 1973. In those 14 seasons the Dodger roster changed radically but the effectiveness of Juan was still there. In fact it took LA until June of '68 before they beat Juan in his home park. As for the counterpart, there was Bobby Welch, recently deceased, who pitched for the Bums from 1978 to 1987, ten seasons. The Giant roster changed a lot over that decade, yet Welch continued to dominate the Giants with a 20-4 lifetime record against them and here's the kicker......Bobby pitched better against the Giants at Candlestick Park than he did at Dodger Stadium, so good in fact that the Giants could never beat him there....not once.

Sometimes Spud, these things do take a life of its own.

Spudboy
07-29-2014, 04:06 PM
Spud, Peavy pitched against the Dodgers last August and fired a three hit 8-1 win for the Red Sox. There are times a hex over a team stays with that team even after the roster changes. The Dodgers knew they has li ttle success against Jake and Peavy felt he had an inbred talent pitching against them. Strange as it may seem to you and others there is something to be said for this. I'm reminded of two pitchers in the famed Giants-Dodgers rivalry (No. 2 in baseball until this year). For the Giants there was Hall of Famer Juan Marichal, 37-18 lifetime against the Dodgers from 1960 to 1973. In those 14 seasons the Dodger roster changed radically but the effectiveness of Juan was still there. In fact it took LA until June of '68 before they beat Juan in his home park. As for the counterpart, there was Bobby Welch, recently deceased, who pitched for the Bums from 1978 to 1987, ten seasons. The Giant roster changed a lot over that decade, yet Welch continued to dominate the Giants with a 20-4 lifetime record against them and here's the kicker......Bobby pitched better against the Giants at Candlestick Park than he did at Dodger Stadium, so good in fact that the Giants could never beat him there....not once.

Sometimes Spud, these things do take a life of its own.

I never claimed that a pitcher could not remain dominant over a team ( or teams ) for a lengthy period of time.

And of course I remember Juan Marishal. He had a leg kick rivaled by only a June Taylor Dancer or a Rockette.

v2freak
07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
I'm sad to see him go. Despite his subpar year, I'd still consider him fairly consistent and at the least, a solid end of the rotation guy. He got so little run support this year, though I guess that could be said of every pitcher for the Sox. Like with David Wells, I wish him all the luck for his new title run.

Dojji
07-31-2014, 10:49 AM

Not quite. Don't forget that there's two variables here -- the hitters a pitcher faces, and his own prowess and confidence. Maybe it really is that he's more effective in a certain environment, or feels more confident facing teams he's had success against, regardless of roster turnover.

Not to mention that certain teams historically favor certain hitting styles, especially those with long term managers and/or ownership groups. Those teams can get into a rut of thinking in terms of the best way to hit, then they draft, develop, sign and coach accordingly, and then a pitcher's individual style can indeed play well against their habitual weaknesses.

BigPapi
09-13-2014, 08:46 PM
Peavy has turned around his season after leaving here. He's brought bis era under 4 and has 2.29 era in 9 starts with san francisco. Thanks a lot for not doing that here peavy...