PDA

View Full Version : What to do Near Fenway?

ss4bama
04-21-2013, 11:53 PM
Sorry if this is on the wrong board but figured there would be more traffic here. Grew up a Braves fan in Alabama during the 70's (yeah, started following them even when they sucked) but also was a Sox fan during the late 70's. I think it was the homeruns from Fisk, Rice, Lynn, Evans, Hobson, Scott etc that drew me. Fenway has always been my favorite park and will finally get a chance to come up for a game. Been a baseball dad for many years and my son just ended his college career last year so we now have time to do something we have talked about for years so we are heading to Boston in May to catch a game. Was just wondering the best place to go after the game for a beer or what else we need to do to make the trip even more special. Thanks for any help you can give.

seabeachfred
04-22-2013, 12:12 AM
Sorry if this is on the wrong board but figured there would be more traffic here. Grew up a Braves fan in Alabama during the 70's (yeah, started following them even when they sucked) but also was a Sox fan during the late 70's. I think it was the homeruns from Fisk, Rice, Lynn, Evans, Hobson, Scott etc that drew me. Fenway has always been my favorite park and will finally get a chance to come up for a game. Been a baseball dad for many years and my son just ended his college career last year so we now have time to do something we have talked about for years so we are heading to Boston in May to catch a game. Was just wondering the best place to go after the game for a beer or what else we need to do to make the trip even more special. Thanks for any help you can give.

There are places all around Fenway Park where you can get a beer, but you Alabamans like Italian food there is no better place in the country than Boston's North End. Dozens of great restaurants serving the best Italian food in the world. You can get directions to get there but I usually walked there from my hotel to build my appetite, but you can take the Red Line to Government Center and walk a few blocks into the Italian section. I guarantee you will not find better Italian food anywhere as good.

ss4bama
04-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Wow, one response. Thanks for the help guys.

wyo-sox
04-27-2013, 10:18 PM
Catch lunch in the bleacher bar before the game one day. Pretty cool way to wet your appetite for Fenway.

Youk Of The Nation
04-27-2013, 10:22 PM
I'm not sure if any of the more enjoyable things I've done in or near Fenway are suitable to suggest. I'll just go with "find a bar, they're all good".

WMB16
04-28-2013, 09:58 PM
Just got back from Boston spent Friday and Saturday night there and went to games on Saturday and Sunday.....I would recommend Lucia Ristorante in little Italy at the north end. Yardhouse also has good food and a lot of beer. Blracher bar is a great place to go especially on a day there's a game but you're not going to it. Also stayed at the hotel Buckminster which is a 2 minute walk from Fenway, would highly recommend it.

yeszir
04-28-2013, 11:03 PM

Here you go:

http://bit.ly/Zeh6rd

Youk Of The Nation
04-28-2013, 11:22 PM
His appearances may be brief in duration and separated by many weeks, but they are priceless.

Boston's Boy
04-28-2013, 11:32 PM
If your looking in the Fenway Area than I'd recommend going to Cask N'Flagoon or Bleacher Bar. A great bar and restraunt next to the park is The Yardhouse also. Lots of TV'S, big bar, great food, sit down, talll drinks, great atmosphere....great looking girls to top it off

MANNYHOF24
04-29-2013, 06:29 AM
Uno's in Kenmore square for some food, and 2 24 ounce miller lights, then on to Bleacher Bar for a few more beers. That is usually my routine.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
04-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Uno's for food? Dafuck's wrong with you.

jacksonianmarch
04-29-2013, 07:40 AM
If you haven't been there before, I'd highly recommend going in with no plan and just walking around. Yawkey way is impressive and when you walk through it, you can lose an hour just getting food and enjoying the atmosphere. I'm partial to the greatest bar. But that just me

redsoxbeatz
04-29-2013, 08:55 AM

this forum isn't that active, only a handful of members.

mvp 78
04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
If you haven't been there before, I'd highly recommend going in with no plan and just walking around. Yawkey way is impressive and when you walk through it, you can lose an hour just getting food and enjoying the atmosphere. I'm partial to the greatest bar. But that just me

This.

Skip Uno's.

a700hitter
04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
There's really good southern style barbeque place on Boylston. I forgot the name. Everything is tasty and tender. The portions are so big that you can clog all of your coronary arteries in one sitting. If you order the basket of biscuits, which are really great, just ask for a doggie bag for your dinner.

SoxFanForsyth
04-29-2013, 01:05 PM
There's really good southern style barbeque place on Boylston. I forgot the name. Everything is tasty and tender. The portions are so big that you can clog all of your coronary arteries in one sitting. If you order the basket of biscuits, which are really great, just ask for a doggie bag for your dinner.

It's called Sweet Cheeks. And it went incredibly downhill over the past few months. Like, off a cliff.

My wife and I went over there on Easter, and it made us both extremely sick. Just awful. It used to be really good.

a700hitter
04-29-2013, 01:11 PM
It's called Sweet Cheeks. And it went incredibly downhill over the past few months. Like, off a cliff.

My wife and I went over there on Easter, and it made us both extremely sick. Just awful. It used to be really good.That's too bad. I last went there last April.

Remy's had a good and varied menu the first year. It was very affordable too. My son thought that they would not be able to keep their prices at that level. I guess he was right. The second year the menu became very limited and not very good, but they still have an enormous selection of beer and lots of big TVs.

seabeachfred
04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Faneuil Hall (sic?) has a wealth of stalls and food courts where you can eat, read, browse and just suck in the Boston atmosphere. I do that all the time I travel to the city, but I never fail to go a few blocks to the North End and not just for the great Italian restaurants. There is a ton of history there like the old North Church and some of the spots where the Revolution was hatched. People seem to forget that Boston can be a great walking city if you know two or three of the main streets to dodge.

RedSoxfanforlife305
04-29-2013, 11:01 PM

I'm most likely going to do this. After I take a tour of Fenway, I'm going to exlore around the area and eat.

yeszir
04-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Faneuil Hall (sic?) has a wealth of stalls and food courts where you can eat, read, browse and just suck in the Boston atmosphere. I do that all the time I travel to the city, but I never fail to go a few blocks to the North End and not just for the great Italian restaurants. There is a ton of history there like the old North Church and some of the spots where the Revolution was hatched. People seem to forget that Boston can be a great walking city if you know two or three of the main streets to dodge.

Not one of these things is anywhere near Fenway

italstallianion
04-29-2013, 11:13 PM

I thought that was Quincy Market, and that Faneuil Hall had museum type displays and souvenir shops. I believe they are right next to one another.

Youk Of The Nation
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM

The problem is, Fred, nowadays we have to watch out for all of the horseless carriages when we walk through the city. :D

No, but you're right that Boston is great to walk around in. Certain areas, anyways. But as YesZir said, the original poster was looking for things to do around Fenway, not a half an hour walk away.

ss4bama
05-09-2013, 03:02 AM
Much better guys. Thanks for all the replies. Looking forward to the trip.

Palodios
05-09-2013, 06:58 AM

My wife and I went over there on Easter, and it made us both extremely sick. Just awful. It used to be really good.

Is that true? My gf has been wanting to go there for some time. Maybe I'll try to get out of that one.