PDA

View Full Version : The catching?

Spitball
01-01-2013, 10:44 PM
Several posters have expressed concerns about the catching. Jarrod Saltalamacchia seems destined to start and David Ross stands to be the back-up. Ryan Lavarnway will likely be in Pawtucket.

How does everyone feel about this? Personally, I was hoping Saltalamacchia would be traded but don't really see that happening at this point. I fear he might be partly (to greatly) responsible for the failures of Jon Lester and other pitchers on the staff.

David Ross is suppose to be a great clubhouse guy, but I fear he might be a bit over-rated defensively. I know he was a Bronson Arroyo drinking partner, but why was he DFA by Cincinnati a few years ago? They brought up Ryan Hanigan, but they had Paul Backo and Javier Valentin who could have been let go. Why Ross?

Lavarnway might not be ready defensively to catch in the major leagues. I think triple A is probably a good place for him right now.

I know catching in the major leagues is scarce right now, but what direction should the Sox go with their catching? Does anyone else feel Jarrod Saltalamacchia is a negative behind the plate?

mvp 78
01-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Shit, Lavs is more defensively ready than Salty. Once Napoli is signed, Salty will be shown the door. It'll be a 50/50 Ross/Lavs split until Lavs starts hitting.

Bellhorn04
01-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I definitely feel Salty is a negative. His CERA was a run higher than Varitek's in 2011, and a run higher than Shoppach's last year. When he catches we usually lose. These factors make me feel very negative about him.

Palodios
01-01-2013, 11:08 PM
I believe that Salty will be the difference in the quality of the team in 2013. If he is gone, the Red Sox will make it into the playoffs. If he starts for the Red Sox, they will suffer badly.

His stance and reception cause strikes to be called balls, and his arm causes fat first basemen to steal third.

User Name?
01-01-2013, 11:10 PM
I think the appropriate question would be if there's anyone who DOESN'T think Salty's a negative behind the plate.

onlybereaved
01-01-2013, 11:11 PM
Yeah, perfect time for the Red Sox to give Lavarnway rights to main catcher. Guy is at the very least just as good as Salty defensively, and will at some point (hopefully sooner than later) be offensively consistant (in a good way).

If Salty doesn't get traded, Lavs will be stuck in AAA while Salty/Ross get the main role - what a waste. Not like the Red Sox are contenders. Lavs is arguably as developed as he can be on a AAA level IMO. Guy needs to play a couple full seasons in the MLB and get that experience and have that confidence shown in him.

mvp 78
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
I think the appropriate question would be if there's anyone who DOESN'T think Salty's a negative behind the plate.

Yes, Dojji.

User Name?
01-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Yes, Dojji.

Jesus.

jung
01-01-2013, 11:16 PM
I consider defense at the catching position and the handling of pitchers (giving a target, preparing for and calling a game etc) as two separate categories. If there is a front line catcher anywhere else in the major leagues that is worse at the combined skill sets, I don't know who he is.

onlybereaved
01-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Varitek is going to be working 'odd-jobs' for now within the Red Sox organization...

Why the frig wouldn't they set something up where Tek goes to work with Lavs, seeing as how Lavarnway is has so much potential?

Just an idea, I don't know.

User Name?
01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Who's to say Varitek isn't coaching Lavarnway though? A lot of times, on-the-side work that players do with coaches or ex-players (or even other active players) doesn't get any publicity.

Bellhorn04
01-01-2013, 11:22 PM
Varitek is going to be working 'odd-jobs' for now within the Red Sox organization...

Why the frig wouldn't they set something up where Tek goes to work with Lavs, seeing as how Lavarnway is has so much potential?

Just an idea, I don't know.

That's what I was hoping even before Tek was hired.

jung
01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
In my view Tek was not a great defensive catcher but he was a good defensive catcher tailing off at the end of his career and very very good at framing, calling a game, giving a target etc.

onlybereaved
01-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Who's to say Varitek isn't coaching Lavarnway though? A lot of times, on-the-side work that players do with coaches or ex-players (or even other active players) doesn't get any publicity.

Yeah - no doubt.

I just meant in a pre-committed open to the public sort of way. Give Lavs all the confidence possible (giving him the chance at full time/main C), and have Tek working with him hardcore. Mind you, I could see how that would be a double edged sword with putting huge pressure on him.

Palodios
01-01-2013, 11:26 PM
I consider defense at the catching position and the handling of pitchers (giving a target, preparing for and calling a game etc) as two separate categories. If there is a front line catcher anywhere else in the major leagues that is worse at the combined skill sets, I don't know who he is.

This is an important point. The defensive part of catching requires talent, but handling pitchers requires knowledge of the game.

Lavarnway is a Yale graduate, and Saltalamacchia bypassed college for the MLB draft. Doesn't that tell you a lot about which pitcher is more likely to excel in a role that requires learning and intellect?

onlybereaved
01-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Also, it's pretty crucial to consider that the Red Sox wouldn't have sought out a contract with Ross at C unless they a) expected to keep Salty in the main catchers role w/ Ross replacing Shop as back-up and leaving Lavs in AAA altogether, or b) expected Salty to be inevitably traded.

Hopefully Salty is gone prior to the season starting IMO

Spitball
01-01-2013, 11:37 PM
Varitek might be helpful, but the Sox already have one of the best in Gary Tuck.

reYoukilis
01-01-2013, 11:45 PM
Maybe Ross will be given the starting role. I took getting him to be Tek 2.

onlybereaved
01-01-2013, 11:51 PM
Yeah eh, maybe.

SCM33
01-01-2013, 11:51 PM

There was a time when Emmz, MVP, a700 and myself were the only Salty haters.

Ive been anti Salty since day 1.

Spitball
01-01-2013, 11:53 PM
Maybe Ross will be given the starting role. I took getting him to be Tek 2.

He will be 36 years-old and hasn't started more than 47 games at catcher in a season since 2007.

jung
01-01-2013, 11:58 PM
I seriously doubt Ross will get the starting roll. The Sox far prefer the devil they know to the devil they don't. I expect to see Salty start the season behind the plate, Ross as his backup, Napoli if signed catching so few games that it turns out to be something done in a pinch or under an outrageously unique set of circumstances and Lavs down at Pawtucket again until later in the season if at all in 2013. Lavs possibly comes up sooner based on the potential for injury or if Salty gets offed to some team still in the hunt and desperate for catching......desperate as in willing to take somebody that can at least get into a crouch.

onlybereaved
01-02-2013, 12:00 AM
I don't even hate Salty. Just really excited for Lavarnway to be the everyday guy. Even if it means having to see an inconsistant/shakey season or 2 out of him.

reYoukilis
01-02-2013, 03:32 AM
Lavarnway needs to get good and now. I would love to see him live up to the promise he gave us at the end of 2011. I think for a tall guy he's surprisingly agile behind the plate unlike Salty.

jung
01-02-2013, 07:02 AM
I think with Lavs at some point in time the Sox are going to have to do something foreign to them and something they shrink from regularly....they are going to have to bite the bullet and give Lavs the job. This is twice now that they have brought Lavs up as the third wheel catcher on the roster. One time it has failed miserably (2012) and if you think about it, Lavs showed more defense than offense in 2011.

I just don't see the Sox doing it this year although it would be as good a year as they are going to see to just do it. Is he 100% ready....no.....Is he the overcooked 110% ready that finally, usually motivates the Sox to give the guy the job (different from just bringing him up).....no.....Is there much chance of Lavs hurting the 2013 effort relative to Salty.... I would suggest.....no.....

a700hitter
01-02-2013, 07:14 AM
There was a time when Emmz, MVP, a700 and myself were the only Salty haters.

Ive been anti Salty since day 1.
I don't think it is hating if you just recognize that a player is merely adequate and not good.

Spitball
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM
I don't think it is hating if you just recognize that a player is merely adequate and not good.

Right. Besides, there have been many of us who were never happy with Salty.

I'd like to see Saltalamacchia as the back up catcher, first base, dh. Let him play four or five games a week but limit his time behind the plate.

BSN07
01-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Salty seems like a good dude. I don't dislike him. I'm just kinda over watching him catch. If Napoli signs he will get moved between now and at some point in the early stages of the season. There's a good chance he might get moved even if Napoli doesn't sign. If Lavs hits in ST they might decide to go with Ross and Lavs anyways.

Salty hit 22 HR last season. He has some value as a "bat". He isn't a good catcher. But if a team losses their starting C early on, he will look like a decent plan B.

Dojji
01-02-2013, 11:54 AM
Yes, Dojji.

Not behind the plate, I don't. I've been calling for him to move to 1B this offseason if we can't sign Napoli.

mvp 78
01-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Not behind the plate, I don't. I've been calling for him to move to 1B this offseason if we can't sign Napoli.

Then the answer is nobody. Thank you, sir.

Spitball
01-02-2013, 12:20 PM

I wouldn't want him as a full-time first baseman. I would want more than a .742 OPSer there.

He is a much better hitter left handed so he could be a platoon with Napoli at first and Lavarnway at catcher. I wouldn't want him to take too many at bats away from either but to complement the line-up versus right handed pitchers. He might catch once or twice a week and spell Napoli or Gomez once or twice.

Lucienbel
01-02-2013, 01:18 PM
His stance and reception cause strikes to be called balls, and his arm causes fat first basemen to steal third.

This. I don't see him as the guy we want behind the plate at all and he certainly isn't helping an already struggling pitching staff. I was also hoping that we would see him traded, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

Hopefully Lavranway will start hitting well and force this team to have to do something.

wyo-sox
01-02-2013, 02:06 PM
I will step up and be the one guy you can all laugh at. I do not think Salty is as bad as everyone on here thinks. I do not think he is all that good but I think it is unfair to blame our pitchers performance on him.

I can't stand it when people compare his 2011 averages to Varitech. I mean look at the difference in innings and who Jason exclusively caught for, while Salty caught for a knuckle baller that was terrible and Lackey.

Last year there were some pitchers that faired better with Shop, but nobody wants to point out the pitchers that pitched as well with either catcher. If he is such poison behind the plate somebody explain why some pitchers did fine with him?

I've heard this stuff about how he frames things that result in the umps calling strikes as balls. I have really tried to watch what he does and other catchers do and really could not see what he could be doing to confuse the umps.

I do not see anyone knocking on Cook or Dice Ks door because they were just a good catcher away from being really good starters. Did Bard have a real turn around in aaa away from Salty?

Our new skipper not only a pitching coach, but expert with this rotation..... if Salty is so much to blame....would he let Salty start the year behind the plate?

I am not saying he is great, but to me there are two equal sides to the coin. Could the way he holds his mit or whatever have a negative effect on trained experienced pro pitcher, sure..... but pitchers sucking inning after inning can easily make a decent pitcher look pretty bad.

.... and begin mocking, lol.

onlybereaved
01-02-2013, 02:45 PM
I will step up and be the one guy you can all laugh at. I do not think Salty is as bad as everyone on here thinks. I do not think he is all that good but I think it is unfair to blame our pitchers performance on him.

I can't stand it when people compare his 2011 averages to Varitech. I mean look at the difference in innings and who Jason exclusively caught for, while Salty caught for a knuckle baller that was terrible and Lackey.

Last year there were some pitchers that faired better with Shop, but nobody wants to point out the pitchers that pitched as well with either catcher. If he is such poison behind the plate somebody explain why some pitchers did fine with him?

I've heard this stuff about how he frames things that result in the umps calling strikes as balls. I have really tried to watch what he does and other catchers do and really could not see what he could be doing to confuse the umps.

I do not see anyone knocking on Cook or Dice Ks door because they were just a good catcher away from being really good starters. Did Bard have a real turn around in aaa away from Salty?

Our new skipper not only a pitching coach, but expert with this rotation..... if Salty is so much to blame....would he let Salty start the year behind the plate?

I am not saying he is great, but to me there are two equal sides to the coin. Could the way he holds his mit or whatever have a negative effect on trained experienced pro pitcher, sure..... but pitchers sucking inning after inning can easily make a decent pitcher look pretty bad.

.... and begin mocking, lol.

no mocking - valid opinion - some good points

jung
01-02-2013, 03:02 PM
Well, Farrell will not be left with a choice in the matter. He can't start Ross that often. He is not a front line catcher. Napoli if signed is his 1st baseman with a problem that can only be exacerbated by catching and Lavs will be in Pawtucket.

He will be stuck starting Salty.

As for what Salty does behind the plate.....he gives the worst targets I have ever seen...the absolute worst. You are right in that there are guys that frame as badly as he does, maybe not for the same reasons but as badly. However there are also guys that frame much better.

Salty does appear to get shaken off quite a bit...that does get frustrating for a pitcher after awhile. That said, without knowing the details of how a pitcher and catcher and pitching coach have planned to attack particular hitters, it is hard to definitively make a judgement there. However I can see how he sets targets and I can see how he frames and I have seen him shaken off a fair amount and have even seen pitchers start to stiffen their spins at some point....and even call him out to the mound.

His framing issues may be part and parcel of how he receives. He does tend to stab at the ball. It is kinda' difficult to frame and stab at the same time. Not only does he tend to stab....even when he avoids doing that, he does not hold the glove to a spot. You will see the better receivers actually able to receive the ball without being so concerned about whether they can fully get the pocket of the glove to the ball...hence they can hold the glove at a spot and receive the ball in the glove but will allow the glove to caress the ball to the pocket as opposed to insisting on catching it with the pocket. That takes a degree of suppleness to the glove hand that Salty simply does not seem to possess and I don't think he will develop it at this point. Of course if he set his targets where the pitcher would actually like to throw the ball he might have his glove in a better position to begin with.

I won't go into his defensive liabilities including how he handles poorly thrown baseballs as that is a whole post by itself but if the topic is Salty as a receiver in his roll as a battery mate to a pitcher, this is what I see.

Lucienbel
01-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Not to speak for everyone, just stating my own point. I don't think Salty brings the pitching staff down all on his own. At the same time, I don't think that he's doing them any favors. A better catcher behind the plate with an already struggling pitching staff could certainly help support them, and that seems to be what Ross was brought in to do. I just think that with a solid catcher behind the plate these guys that need to rebound would at least have a little help.

redsoxfan3
01-02-2013, 03:16 PM
Shit, Lavs is more defensively ready than Salty. Once Napoli is signed, Salty will be shown the door. It'll be a 50/50 Ross/Lavs split until Lavs starts hitting.

I think that when we sign Napoli for sure, then we will hear more trade talk about Salty, unless the FO keeps Lavarnway in AAA. Napoli will be catching on occasion. The other time is split equally between Ross and Salty/Lavarnway. The longer the Napoli signing takes, I think the more likely we are to keep Salty. I think we still have around 6 or so weeks until pitchers and catchers report. We need to finalize Napoli's deal and trade for Saltt in that time.

Bellhorn04
01-02-2013, 03:21 PM

It's true that you shouldn't just use the conglomerated CERA numbers of Salty vs. Varitek or Shoppach, you have to break it down by each pitcher.

But consider Lester and Buch for 2012:

Lester with Shoppach 3.70 48.2 innings
Lester with Salty 5.62 107.1 innings

Buch with Shoppach 3.23 78 innings
Buch with Salty 6.30 75.2 innings

As to the whys and wherefores of the problems with Salty, there are a lot of varying opinions on this. There was a report last year that the Red Sox brass did a sort of survey of the players on why the team's W-L record was so bad with Salty catching, and nobody seemed to have any clear ideas.

One thing to keep in mind is that all it takes is one or two pitches per game to have a huge effect on things. One pitch that goes the wrong way can result in multiple runs.

Another consideration is that Salty's performance might vary from game to game, inning to inning. Maybe he just loses focus sometimes.

Also, maybe the pitchers are aware of all these numbers and have less confidence when throwing to Salty.

There are a lot of possibilities, but in my opinion, the numbers over two years add up to Salty being a significant problem.

jung
01-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Part of the problem with Napoli's hip is that he likely cannot take as much of the load as initially thought and Ross is not a spring chicken. He is a fine defensive catcher. However I suspect that Ross would have trouble fully sharing the catching duties. I can see Ross catching when the opponent is starting a LH starter, when the Sox are playing a double header and when there is a day game following a night game. But that puts Salty out there for a good many catching assignments.

Ross has not caught over 60 games since 2007. Between 50 and 60 is probably just about what I described above would get him. Maybe Napoli gets 10 or 20, MAYBE and Salty gets the rest if he is here.

wyo-sox
01-02-2013, 05:01 PM
It's true that you shouldn't just use the conglomerated CERA numbers of Salty vs. Varitek or Shoppach, you have to break it down by each pitcher.

As to the whys and wherefores of the problems with Salty, there are a lot of varying opinions on this. There was a report last year that the Red Sox brass did a sort of survey of the players on why the team's W-L record was so bad with Salty catching, and nobody seemed to have any clear ideas.

One thing to keep in mind is that all it takes is one or two pitches per game to have a huge effect on things. One pitch that goes the wrong way can result in multiple runs.

Another consideration is that Salty's performance might vary from game to game, inning to inning. Maybe he just loses focus sometimes.

Also, maybe the pitchers are aware of all these numbers and have less confidence when throwing to Salty.

There are a lot of possibilities, but in my opinion, the numbers over two years add up to Salty being a significant problem.

why not put up the numbers for all the starters and relievers that pitched to both catchers?

Bellhorn04
01-02-2013, 05:55 PM
why not put up the numbers for all the starters and relievers that pitched to both catchers?

Sorry, I just don't have the time or energy right now to do that.

BSN07
01-02-2013, 06:09 PM

I looked briefly a while back. It's lot of the same. I was ok with Salty, but when I looked into it there is something to pitchers and their ERA ballooning throwing to him.

wyo-sox
01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
I looked briefly a while back. It's lot of the same. I was ok with Salty, but when I looked into it there is something to pitchers and their ERA ballooning throwing to him.

I had a real hard time finding numbers today. I remember looking at them in season and seem to remember some starters had little to no change and the relievers over all pitched really well to Salty.

But to me there are way to many variables to much stock in comparing catchers era's . To say that Shop provided better results for Lester..... wouldn't we have to know the team batting averages Shop caught compared to what Salty caught? Did salty catch Buch right before and after his injury hiatus? Did Salty catch Lester in the one game that was horrible beyond any average and how bad could that one game skew the numbers..... and isn't the odds of catching a pitcher on a really bad inflated the more you catch?

I would love to see better catcher than Salty. I am by no means thinking he is great...... but I also will admit I am one of the more baseball ignorant folks on here and just have to trust what my eyes tell me. My eyes saw it was all about our starters sucking.

Palodios
01-02-2013, 09:03 PM

Bellhorn, did you find these numbers somewhere, or did you have to do the math? I hadn't been able to find them on my own, and simply relied on team CERA, but these numbers are staggering.

Saltalamacchia has no place on this team any longer. He is a one-tool player, and needs to be traded or DFAed.

a700hitter
01-02-2013, 09:05 PM
Bellhorn, did you find these numbers somewhere, or did you have to do the math? I hadn't been able to find them on my own, and simply relied on team CERA, but these numbers are staggering.

Saltalamacchia has no place on this team any longer. He is one tall player, and needs to be traded or DFAed.
I made the appropriate correction in bold.

jung
01-02-2013, 09:26 PM
To be honest, parts of this catching thread reminds of the way a number of the threads are going this offseason which is similar to the way many went last offseason.

One of the issues that some appear unwilling to deal with is the very real possibility that Salty is our catcher. As we get closer and closer to pitchers and catchers reporting we generally don't like seeing Salty trotted out there again and with very good reason. I don't have to depend on CERA. I have eyes. I can see what Salty is doing out there.

But as much as we might not like seeing him trotted out there, you can't just say "they will start Ross". As I posted above, it has been ions since Ross has caught even as many as 60 games in a season. Napoli even if signed is a bat they cannot afford to be without. One thing I have not seen any comments on but that I think is really quite true is that this team is thin thin thin. Injuries anywhere will likely turn it from a 3rd place team to a last place team. Lose Ortiz.....see ya'. Catch Napoli to many games, wear down that hip and lose him....how are you going to replace that bat? So anybody that wants to rate the Sox higher than 3rd has got to deal with the fact that you take Ortiz and his achilles out of this lineup and you are toast! Probably taking Napoli out and you are pretty darned close to toast.

So since I think chances are slim to none that the Sox will start the season with Lavs up here....we get Salty again and neither Ross nor Napoli for that matter will change that IMO.

wyo-sox
01-02-2013, 09:47 PM
Jung,why can't Ross be the primary catcher? Are you saying it's an age thing? Conditioning thing? Or are you saying the reason he has never started much is because he has never really been that good? Always enjoyed your analysis and was not 100% clear on our thoughts here.

Spitball
01-02-2013, 10:53 PM
Ross actually hasn't started more than 47 games since 2007. He caught a five year high of 421.2 innings last year because of injuries to McCann. He will be 37 years-old when the 2013 season starts. I believe he was signed for his clubhouse/dugout leadership presence as much as his catching abilities. The same can be said for Gomes.

jung
01-02-2013, 11:21 PM
Ross is a perennial backup catcher. In all of his years he has only been given the nod as the 1 one time, by the Reds in I think the 2007 season. He promptly pulled an Iggy, 0 for forever and that was the end of his stint as anybody's number 1 catcher. He simply cannot hit good enough to be able to crack a lineup as a 1. If they had any thoughts of Ross as a 1 then they should absolutely and without doubt off Salty and bring up Lavs and make him the 1 which they very likely will not do either.

I don't mean to imply that Ross is a perennial Iggy but he just can't hit his way out of a paper bag for the most part and is getting up there in years. We already know how the Sox handle all glove no hit players. Does not matter whether it is right or wrong, it is the Red Sox. He is however the consummate #2 catcher. Works well with the pitchers...covers all the detail work that a defensive 2 is supposed to cover, good behind the plate. Splits are not terrible but not great either and that is in very limited action. His splits are hideous in any year where he gets enough at bats to matter. Not a guy that this Sox team could afford to have in the lineup every day. This team will either need Lavs or Salty in its lineup. Even K machine Salty has some pop. Plus in all likelihood Ross would not hold up if you had him in there for 100+ games. He has not done it since 2006 or 2007 and that was the only year he did. Every other year since, 60 has been his high water mark.

But this is part of the problem you have when you are only sort of into a bridge year. They spent all this money...got very little team for it...and in all likelihood when a decision like Salty vs Lavs comes up, where so many teams would just bite the bullet and bring up Lavs, carbuncles and all, IMO it is so foreign to the Sox that they would prefer a walk across hot coals.

Bellhorn04
01-03-2013, 06:43 AM

Baseball-Reference pitcher splits, toward the end. You can get these for the pitcher's career as well. Here's the link to the 2012 splits for Buchholz.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=buchhcl01&year=2012&t=p

Also noted that Buch had a solid 3.79 ERA with Lavarnway catching.

mvp 78
01-03-2013, 09:19 AM
Also noted that Buch had a solid 3.79 ERA with Lavarnway catching.
Not surprising as he struggled mightily at the beginning of the season. Lavs
wasn't called up until after Buch turned his season around.

wyo-sox
01-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Yes Lester and Buch had better era's with Shop. The others.....

(Shop first then Salty)
Cook 3.6 / 5.2
Doubront . 4.18 / 4.95
Beckett 5.46 / 4.47 (almost identical innings)
Dice K . 7.20 / 5.93
Morales 4.91 / 2.96

Thank you.

Bellhorn04
01-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Yes Lester and Buch had better era's with Shop. The others.....

(Shop first then Salty)
Cook 3.6 / 5.2
Doubront . 4.18 / 4.95
Beckett 5.46 / 4.47 (almost identical innings)
Dice K . 7.20 / 5.93
Morales 4.91 / 2.96

Thank you.

You're right, you have to do this exercise with each pitcher and when you do you see a lot of variances.

But as with many other baseball stats, at the end of the year you have averages which are the bottom line number.

The difference between Salty's average and the Varitek/Shoppach average, plus the difference in W-L records, over 2 full seasons now, is so gigantic that can't be explained away.

wyo-sox
01-04-2013, 01:28 PM
You're right, you have to do this exercise with each pitcher and when you do you see a lot of variances.

But as with many other baseball stats, at the end of the year you have averages which are the bottom line number.

The difference between Salty's average and the Varitek/Shoppach average, plus the difference in W-L records, over 2 full seasons now, is so gigantic that can't be explained away.

So you don't think Varitek basically exclusively catching Beckett on one of Becketts good years while Salty caught everyone else in 2011, including over the hill Wakefield and injured Lackey, explains a good portion of difference? Or how about the fact that Salty caught all of 2012, even after injuries and "the trade" really made it a much weaker team, and Shop was not part of the team for all that?

Look, I already stated I think Salty is not great.....and I said comparing catches with these numbers is not fair as there are way to many variables..... even more unfair when Shop / Tek haven't caught near the innings Salty did. But if you did, clearly, as many pitchers did as good or better with Salty era wise as pitchers that had worse era's with him.

It just seems out of character for so many posters here to only look at two pitchers era and make such generalized conclusions. Seems like Salty becomes the fall guy a bit.

Lucienbel
01-04-2013, 01:46 PM
This is a difficult thing to judge. I feel the only way to really judge this would be looking at Salty v. This or that other catcher when: A. It was the same season. B. There was a comparable number of innings. In which case statistically speaking it seems the Beckett with Shoppach and Salty comparison works best. Even then, that really shouldn't mean a whole lot because that's far too small a sample.

I don't know if there's a real good way to use numbers here and get a fair comparison. I think most here would agree that he isn't helping any though, based on what we've seen.

At the same time, I think that just getting rid of him would solve most of the problem is very wishful thinking.

wyo-sox
01-04-2013, 01:54 PM
This is a difficult thing to judge. I feel the only way to really judge this would be looking at Salty v. This or that other catcher when: A. It was the same season. B. There was a comparable number of innings. In which case statistically speaking it seems the Beckett with Shoppach and Salty comparison works best. Even then, that really shouldn't mean a whole lot because that's far too small a sample.

I don't know if there's a real good way to use numbers here and get a fair comparison. I think most here would agree that he isn't helping any though, based on what we've seen.

At the same time, I think that just getting rid of him would solve most of the problem is very wishful thinking.

agreed

jung
01-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Hopefully the Sox will smarten him up and pack Salty off to some team looking for a "catcher". If not we will see more of what we saw last year....remembering that the way Salty gives Targets, frames pitches, just plain receives the ball is just the tip of the iceberg with Salty.

We have those memorable occasions when he actually forgets to cover home. We have those two games in a row that he lost by simply being unable to make a play on a ball thrown in to home plate last year...could not even catch the damned thing....never mind make a tag. There are so many reasons to off Salty that you could have a tread just on that topic.

Focusing on one of them like how he handles the pitchers misses the point. My first post in this thread stated that Salty IMO represents the worst combination of defense and handling battery mate duties of any front line catcher in MLB and that is why the Sox should off him. What the hell do they think they are losing, offing Salty and catching Lavs?

Dojji
01-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Hopefully the Sox will smarten him up and pack Salty off to some team looking for a "catcher". If not we will see more of what we saw last year....remembering that the way Salty gives Targets, frames pitches, just plain receives the ball is just the tip of the iceberg with Salty.

We have those memorable occasions when he actually forgets to cover home. We have those two games in a row that he lost by simply being unable to make a play on a ball thrown in to home plate last year...could not even catch the damned thing....never mind make a tag. There are so many reasons to off Salty that you could have a tread just on that topic.

Every single one of these things happened to Jason Varitek at least a few times in his career. The difference is that Tek is a "great catcher" so we shrug them off in a well-crap-happens kind of way. Because Salty is a "terrible catcher" his mistakes get remembered and itemized.

This is one of the reasons that I tend to make an ass of myself sometimes bucking the groupthink. Because if I don't, it just gets completely unbalanced and tends to snowball quickly to completely unfair proportions. Not that it really does any good, since if there's any sport where people re set in their ways it's baseball, and if there's any region set in its ways, it's New England, so I've always got two strikes against me, but I'd feel like dirt if I didn't at least try.

Focusing on one of them like how he handles the pitchers misses the point. My first post in this thread stated that Salty IMO represents the worst combination of defense and handling battery mate duties of any front line catcher in MLB and that is why the Sox should off him. What the hell do they think they are losing, offing Salty and catching Lavs?

20 hr's springs to mind pretty quickly as something they'd lose. As Ryan Kalish taught us, there's never anything guaranteed about prospects. I was sure he'd be hitting 20 Hr's himself for us by now.

wyo-sox
01-04-2013, 03:05 PM
The good news is that Salty and Lester have had some success in the past. Salty Lester 2011 era was 3.77. Whoever's fault 2012 was, let's hope they can get back to their 2011 performance.

wyo-sox
01-04-2013, 03:12 PM

I do not take issue with your complaints on Salty. You understand baseball better then I do. I just can't stand the stat picking with a couple pitchers without looking at all of them and looking at other factors.

Lucienbel
01-04-2013, 03:13 PM

Pretty sure people thought someone got shot next door when he literally dropped the ball in that Seattle game. Lots of screaming at the TV that night.

Dojji
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
I do not take issue with your complaints on Salty. You understand baseball better then I do. I just can't stand the stat picking with a couple pitchers without looking at all of them and looking at other factors.

Indeed. There's a difference between a statistical analysis of all involved factors, and a witch hunt. If you're ignoring factors that play against your point rather than adjusting your thinking on the basis of those factors, that would be a witch hunt.