PDA

View Full Version : Juan Nieves named Pitching Coach

redsoxfan3
11-07-2012, 04:14 PM
In a kind of surprising move, the new pitching coach is Juan Nieves and not Rick Peterson. Not really sure how I feel about this, especially after Farrell was saying he liked Peterson. Hopefully this was John's decision. Thoughts?

BSN07
11-07-2012, 05:06 PM
I saw his name in a couple reports but like you thought Peterson was the likely choice. We will see, I'm ok just as long as him and Farrell are on the same page.

kapsis21
11-07-2012, 07:18 PM
ho hum... i really thought Peterson was going to be the 1st choice. but i agree hope they are on same page and get the Lester back that we know

mvp 78
11-07-2012, 07:46 PM
Nieves and Farrell pitched on the same team and are said to have a good relationship. I'm sure he had a big say in the hiring.

Palodios
11-07-2012, 07:59 PM
Hopefully hiring coaches won't be a distraction for the FO. Coaches can help the players, but talent can't be coached.

BSN07
11-08-2012, 05:53 AM
I read they are thinking of taking a new direction with hitting coach as in having 2 of them. One for RHH and one for LHH? Seems interesting to me.

SoxSport
11-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Nieves is probably a guy Farrell can control. The other guy, Peterson, strikes me as a less controllable type. That could be the simple answer as to why Nieves, er Farrell, is the pitching coach.

Behindenemylines
11-22-2012, 10:55 AM
Don't know what to think about this. Nieves doesn't have a track record as a major league pitching coaches.

redsoxfan3
11-22-2012, 11:47 PM
Nieves is probably a guy Farrell can control. The other guy, Peterson, strikes me as a less controllable type. That could be the simple answer as to why Nieves, er Farrell, is the pitching coach.

That is very true. He also has roots from the New England area. He is from Connecticut. I am not sure if he grew up as a Red Sox fan or not, but being from New England is probably a plus for him.

Don't know what to think about this. Nieves doesn't have a track record as a major league pitching coaches.

He has never been a pitching coach, but has 14 years experience as a minor league pitching instructor and 5 years experience as a bullpen coach. He does have some experience working with pitchers, which is a plus. It is definitely an interesting move. I am kind of thinking that Farrell wanted him because he can do a lot more with him than with a guy that already has his own ways (like Peterson), as SoxSport pointed out.