PDA

View Full Version : Torey Lovullo hired as new Bench Coach

redsoxfan3
10-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Alex Speier ‏@alexspeier
Source: Lovullo to become Sox bench coach; #redsox give permission to 2012 coaching staff to pursue other jobs

Alex Speier is saying that Lovullo is our new bench coach. This is not surprising at all. I am sure a lot of people saw this coming. I think this is a good move. He was the Paw Sox manager in 2010. He also was a candidate for the Red Sox manager position last year. What are your thoughts on the hiring of Lovullo?

Behindenemylines
10-23-2012, 06:55 PM
If true this would another positive for the Sox. First, many say that he has what it takes to be a good manager (That is what you need in a good bench coach). Second, he has a track record working with some of the younger Sox players. Finally and most important, he has a good working relationship with JF.

SeanJohn93
10-23-2012, 08:50 PM
This is a step in the right direction due to the familiarity that Farrel and Lovullo have with each other. People were even considering Luvollo a manager candidate for this year. This can only strengthen the leadership in the clubhouse.

InfernoOrangeSS
10-25-2012, 03:03 AM
I like it. Next they need to make Varitek the bullpen coach.

SoxSport
10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
Lovullo is a guy who worked for Farrell in Toronto, and managed in Pawtucket. Looks like a good fit.
The coaches have to be the manager's choices. Hopefully, Lucchino & co have learned their lesson on that.

Maybe Valentine's big mouth was just a reflection of his frustration at having to work in a vacuum.
Everybody's villifying this guy right now, but I think he is showing some underlying bitterness in his criticism of Ortiz, and there may be more to follow. This guy was thrown under a bus by Lucchino.
Papi got his money, which I suspect was his original motivation to sit. He's got plantar fascitis, and that can linger for 6-12 months. I know--have it myself right now--and run on it with orthotics. Papi might still have some soreness next spring, but this time he'll play with it.

Designated Hater
10-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I like it. Next they need to make Varitek the bullpen coach.

Varitek is a hump.

SoxSport
10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
You can bet Lovullo will do what the manager Farrell tells him to do--not what the GM Cherington tells him. Unlike the previous bench coach, Bogar.

jacksonianmarch
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
They need to let Farrell fill out the rest of his staff. Cherington et al should have no bearing on who comes in since it is now Farrell's team and he needs guys he can trust

SoxFanForsyth
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
They need to let Farrell fill out the rest of his staff. Cherington et al should have no bearing on who comes in since it is now Farrell's team and he needs guys he can trust

I'm confused - It's my understanding that Farrell chose Lovullo. Are you saying that Cherrington chose Lovullo, or just that the Sox FO should continue to act like they did when allowing Farrell to choose Lovullo?

jacksonianmarch
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
They need to continue letting Farrell fill his staff

Palodios
10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Report in:

Bogar is gone!!!

Behindenemylines
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Lovullo hire as bench coach is a positive. Has known Farrell for twenty years and is close to him and it seems that they have a good working relationship. Farrell has said the communication between him and Lovullo is good and if Lovullo disagrees with something that Farrell does he will voice his opinion. I think this is good because you don't want all yes men around you, and this is a positive for the Sox.

Spitball
10-27-2012, 09:56 PM
Lovullo hire as bench coach is a positive. Has known Farrell for twenty years and is close to him and it seems that they have a good working relationship. Farrell has said the communication between him and Lovullo is good and if Lovullo disagrees with something that Farrell does he will voice his opinion. I think this is good because you don't want all yes men around you, and this is a positive for the Sox.

Haha! Good points but it probably has more to do with Lovullo being a damn good drinking buddy...which is not at all a bad thing in a working relationship.

redsoxfan3
10-28-2012, 06:13 PM
Haha! Good points but it probably has more to do with Lovullo being a damn good drinking buddy...which is not at all a bad thing in a working relationship.

That is probably true, haha. It can almost be said that we have two managers on this team. Obviously Farrell is our guy, but it is an advantage that Lovullo has been said that he is capable of managing. I like that both guys have roots in our system and have worked together in Toronto.