PDA

View Full Version : The 5th start for the Sox.

RWTP24
03-08-2010, 12:26 AM
I was reading an article about Buchholz and what the Sox are telling him his position is going to be this year... Now it seems to be a little vague at this point to me so I come to you guys. What are you guys hearing or reading? I really like Wake, but at the same time, Buchholz pitch well at the end of last year and I do not want to run him away from the Sox in the long run. I think it is time for Buchholz to get a chance for a full season.

Ok, second question we can talk about… If Buchholz is the 5th starter in the rotation, where does Wake go? Long reliever in the pen or maybe the Sox trade him for a bat. The Sox could even wrap up a Lowell and Wake deal for an even better bat.

What do you guys hearing and what do you guys think about the second question?

bsox0407
03-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Even though i would like to Wake in their so he could pick up his 200th win. I think that Buchholz is the better pitcher and Wake would sink into the pen for the occasional spot start and maybe take a spot when someone is hurt.

msubulldogs21
03-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Wakefield has had a very steady career but I wasn't a huge fan of bringing him back. Buchholz absolutely deserves a spot. I think he ultimately will be in the rotation, but that leaves Wake without a definite spot...

If Buchholz is the 5th starter in the rotation, where does Wake go? Long reliever in the pen or maybe the Sox trade him for a bat. The Sox could even wrap up a Lowell and Wake deal for an even better bat.

Wake's not getting traded. We couldn't get anything of substance for him, plus he will finish his career in Boston.

Lowell could get us something decent, but nobody that is going to be making a huge impact. Plus, we'll have to eat most of that contract of his.

RWTP24
03-08-2010, 02:56 AM
Wakefield has had a very steady career but I wasn't a huge fan of bringing him back. Buchholz absolutely deserves a spot. I think he ultimately will be in the rotation, but that leaves Wake without a definite spot...

Wake's not getting traded. We couldn't get anything of substance for him, plus he will finish his career in Boston.

Lowell could get us something decent, but nobody that is going to be making a huge impact. Plus, we'll have to eat most of that contract of his.

See, I would not put it past a middle of the road team to take someone like Wake and Lowell (if Sox pay most or if not his entire contract) for a decent bat. But with that said, you brought up a great point, Boston loves Wake and I do not know if they would even trade Wake.

Do you know if Wake has a clause in his contact that he would have to approve if the Sox wanted to trade him?

Jasonbay44
03-08-2010, 03:08 AM
I don't see the Sox getting anything of value for Wakefield. Maybe an AAAA player or player to be named later, but thats about it.

BoSox21
03-08-2010, 08:42 AM
I highly doubt Wakefield will be able to make his starts consistently should be get a rotation spot anyway. But when they pencil in the final roster, I think Buch will be the 5th guy with Wake being the long reliever/spot starter.

Dojji
03-08-2010, 09:36 AM
If Wakefield was traded, he would retire. He's SAID EXACTLY THAT, so we can forget about trading wakefield.

RWTP24
03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
If Wakefield was traded, he would retire. He's SAID EXACTLY THAT, so we can forget about trading wakefield.

Why would the Sox care about what he said? If they traded him, it would not be there problem anymore. Also, if the Sox thought it was the best thing for the TEAM, they would trade him.

RWTP24
03-08-2010, 11:52 AM
I don't see the Sox getting anything of value for Wakefield. Maybe an AAAA player or player to be named later, but thats about it.

I agree with you… That is why I was thinking they would have to put a package together with Wake and Lowell.

BoSox21
03-08-2010, 11:57 AM
They clearly see a use in having Wakefield if they signed him to a two-year deal. Yes, I realize signing a guy to an extension doesn't necessarily mean they're set on keeping him (ie. Bronson Arroyo) but let's be honest, what the hell are they gonna get for Wakefield if they wanted to trade him?

Palodios
03-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Let's just be clear about this. It is incredibly rare for a 5-man rotation to stay intact for an entire season. Remember last season when we had a big pile of quality starters(Dice, Penny, Smoltz, Masterson, Wake, Lester, Beckett, Buchholz), yet only ended up getting consistency from Beckett and Lester? Wakefield is still an important part of the starting rotation, even as a #6 starter. Someone has the flu? call Wake. Minor injuries like a torn fingernail or sore hamstring? call Wake. Daisuke being Daisuke? Someone has a rough start? Warm up Wake. He's a good pitcher that can pitch as a starter or long relief.

I can't say this enough times, but by having a quality veteran guy waiting in the wings, it means they don't have to rush guys up like Bowden/Tazawa, etc, that could use a little bit more time in the minor leagues. Wakefield wants a shot at the Red Sox wins leader, and between spot starts and long relief, he can still get the 9 a year he needs. Its a good situation, and management knows it, especially since they cut the costs on his rolling contract this year. Wakefield is a win-win situation, and they will not trade him.

Dojji
03-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Why would the Sox care about what he said? If they traded him, it would not be there problem anymore. Also, if the Sox thought it was the best thing for the TEAM, they would trade him.

The recieving team would care what he said, since there's a greater than normal chance they would wind up paying for nothing.

J-Beck
03-08-2010, 01:29 PM
The recieving team would care what he said, since there's a greater than normal chance they would wind up paying for nothing.

Good point. I don't think trading Wakefield is really an option at all. He's worth literally nothing to whatever team he goes to.

Dojji
03-08-2010, 01:36 PM
The only way we trade Wakefield is if he's done, and we want to pick up someone else's salary drop. They trade for wake, which is to say nothing, Wake retires, forfeiting the balance of his contract, we pick up the other team's contract and save a few mil.

YAZMAN
03-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Good point. I don't think trading Wakefield is really an option at all. He's worth literally nothing to whatever team he goes to.

But he's worth a lot to us. At his age with his back he could spent several well timed stints on the DL and nobody would even blink an eye.

TheMino007
03-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Its time for Clay to start the year off in the rotation. You keep Wake around in case Clay falls off the world and sucks or if there is an injury. At some point in the season, someone will go on the DL, combine this with rainouts leading to spot starts Wake could start 10-15 games this year. He'll be a long man out of the pen, so that helps save the pen.

RWTP24
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM

Great point.

jacksonianmarch
03-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Wake in the pen, though, looks like a looming disaster. You have a guy who is older, who is brittle and by nature will be very inconsistent from start to start since he relies on deception and movement of a floating ball. You take him out of a rhythm that he's used to and put him into more games for shorter bursts and that unpredictable nature might turn out to be abysmal. It could also work out well, but I think his nature is best served out of the rotation.