PDA

View Full Version : Why the AL East crown is even more important than before...

Gom
12-15-2009, 01:08 PM
I know I'm reaching here...I mean, we are still in December and all..but...

The AL East championship is critical now. Why? The Mariners.

I presume that the AL Central will have the worst record. The Tigers had a bit of a fire sale, and the Twinkies are in my opinion, the faves, with a new park opening up and all.

I think with Lee, the Mariners are the favorites in the west, with the Angels losing both Figgins and Lackey.

I presume the wild card comes out of the East, either Boston or the Yankees.

Short series...playing the Twins, or facing the best defensive team in baseball, a pesky hit and run team, with the best 1-2 punch in baseball in Felix and Lee?

No brainer. In a short series, the Mariners might just be the best team in baseball.

Rdsxmbnt
12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Come on now lets not overstate things. Sure they got Figgins and Lee but a realistic look at their offense shows maybe two guys who will post an OPS over .800, Ichiro and Branyan.

They have solid pitching and obviously Lee+Felix will be a nice combo, but other than Felix they had only one other guy make 20 starts. Bottom line is while they are improved they still leave a lot to desire

jacksonianmarch
12-15-2009, 01:26 PM
Branyan is a FA

Emmz
12-15-2009, 01:27 PM
I think the Angels can still contend in the AL West, and don't forget the Rangers, either. I think they'll definitely be tough in the West.

BSN07
12-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Seattle will need to land a LF-DH, 1B, + 1 SP(back end) to fill out the lineup. If they can manage Bay for LF, Vlad for DH and maybe Johnson, Branyan, Laroche for 1B and maybe a Washburn type SP. They will most certainly be in competition in the AL West.

Felix and Lee could probably keep them competitive right now. But they will need some of those other holes fiilled to be AL contenders.

BSN07
12-15-2009, 01:31 PM
I think the Angels can still contend in the AL West, and don't forget the Rangers, either. I think they'll definitely be tough in the West.

Rangers have a nice offense. But the swap of Millwood for Harden isn't a positive one IMO. Idf they could have kept Millwood and signed Harden, they would have been in business. But now they will be relying heavily on their very young talented arms.

Dojji
12-15-2009, 01:45 PM
If I was Seattle, I'd go for Bay for LF, LaRoche at 1B, and Branyan or Delgado at DH.

Dipre
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
If I was Seattle, I'd go for Bay for LF, LaRoche at 1B, and Branyan or Delgado at DH.

Safeco is unforgiving to RH power hitters. Laroche and Branyan are good ideas though.

Dojji
12-15-2009, 01:47 PM
I wonder if Seattle might go for Damon then. He could play fairly well on a short term deal as an LF/DH, especially if he can give himself some running room on a slapper into the left field gap.

Dipre
12-15-2009, 01:57 PM
I wonder if Seattle might go for Damon then. He could play fairly well on a short term deal as an LF/DH, especially if he can give himself some running room on a slapper into the left field gap.

I'd concur if they didn't have Griffey.

Dojji
12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Thought he was gonna retire. He's mostly played DH for them anyway.

suns
12-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Let's not think too badly about the AL central, I think they will be one of the best divisions this year.

Rdsxmbnt
12-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Let's not think too badly about the AL central, I think they will be one of the best divisions this year.

If you like mediocre baseball then sure

suns
12-15-2009, 06:14 PM
If you like mediocre baseball then sure

It could be the best division-
Indians-probably gonna finish last
Royals- probably gonna tie for last
White sox-3rd in AL central
Tigers-1st place in AL central
Twins might have a chance for 1st place

Spudboy
12-15-2009, 06:50 PM
It could be the best division-
Indians-probably gonna finish last
Royals- probably gonna tie for last
White sox-3rd in AL central
Tigers-1st place in AL central
Twins might have a chance for 1st place

So this supports your assertion that it could be one of the better divisions?

How?:rolleyes:

Coco's Disciples
12-15-2009, 07:02 PM
So this supports your assertion that it could be one of the better divisions?

How?:rolleyes:

Can't you see? The division will have a first place team, and a second place team. Clearly it is the best division.

Spudboy
12-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Can't you see? The division will have a first place team, and a second place team. Clearly it is the best division.

Oh phooey. How could I have missed that?

My bad. ;)

BSN07
12-15-2009, 09:17 PM
Cleveland is young and in transition

KC is KC

Detroit is selling off talent

CWS are bringing talent in

Minnesota will be there like they usually are

Not the worst division, but certainly not the best.

Coco's Disciples
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM
It's certainly the worst division in the AL.

Dipre
12-15-2009, 09:24 PM
The AL East has two possible 95+ win teams, one possible 90 win game team, the west has three possible 90 win teams. In the Central, i'll be surprised if someone wins 90 games. It's worse than the NL East by a lot.

SoxSport
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Hernandez and Lee just make every win more crucial next year for the wild card--not just September.

Keeper
12-16-2009, 12:26 AM

Come on, I know you're like 12. But come on. The division race was compelling, but it was a battle of two teams who couldn't win 90 games. That said, if the White Sox should find themselves in the postseason, they have the rotation to pull off an upset. I don't think they have the thunder, though.