PDA

View Full Version : Braves to sign Wagner

BSN07
12-02-2009, 08:25 AM
The Braves have agreed to sign Billy Wagner, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports. The deal is worth $7MM and includes a $6.5MM option for 2011 that vests if Wagner finishes 50 games.

The Red Sox offered the lefty arbitration tonight, so they stand to gain the Braves' first round pick in next year's draft, plus a supplemental rounder

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10460524/Source:-Braves,-closer-Wagner-agree-to-deal

Frodo behind the story. Is there anyone the Braves have been linked to that is higher then Wagner as far as type A status goes?

edit: Also it's the #20 pick as of now.

BSN07
12-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I just realized that Theo possibly spun Chris Carter into the #20 pick and a supplemental 1st rounder.

:lol: :lol:

riverside sluggers
12-02-2009, 09:47 AM
I knew the story of his agent floating the idea of Wagner accepting arbitration was bluffing.

Now if the Sox sign multiple type A's, do they have to give up the pick that they are getting from Atlanta?

TheMino007
12-02-2009, 09:49 AM
Easy there guys. According to MLB trade rumor if the Braves sign Lackey, Holliday, Scutaro, or Velverde then the sox get the fifty second pick not the 20 pick.

BSN07
12-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Easy there guys. According to MLB trade rumor if the Braves sign Lackey, Holliday, Scutaro, or Velverde then the sox get the fifty second pick not the 20 pick.

And their unlikely to sign any of those. Also Bay is a possibility. However unlikely. I still think the Sox/Mets will be each getting one of Holliday/Bay. Scutaro makes no sense. Lackey is too expensive, they already have enough $ wrapped up in SP. And they just signed Wagner, so signing Valverde would be dumb.

BSN07
12-02-2009, 09:52 AM
I knew the story of his agent floating the idea of Wagner accepting arbitration was bluffing.

Now if the Sox sign multiple type A's, do they have to give up the pick that they are getting from Atlanta?

I don't think so. See the Yankees last season. I know there are some guide lines for it, but I don't believe they would lose those picks. I think the only picks you can lose are your teams actual picks. Not the ones they have been compensated for. Not 100% though.

riverside sluggers
12-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Why would the Braves sign Lackey? They already have a 6 man rotation of Hanson, Jurrigens, Vazquez, Lowe, Hudson and Kawakami. Holliday wants a big money contract, I dont see Atlanta dolling it out. Valverde is the most likely option but I dont think its likely because they gave a "potential" 2 year $13.5 million deal to Wagner. The 2nd year vests if he finishes 50 games

BSN07
12-02-2009, 09:56 AM
Why would the Braves sign Lackey? They already have a 6 man rotation of Hanson, Jurrigens, Vazquez, Lowe, Hudson and Kawakami. Holliday wants a big money contract, I dont see Atlanta dolling it out. Valverde is the most likely option but I dont think its likely because they gave a "potential" 2 year $13.5 million deal to Wagner. The 2nd year vests if he finishes 50 games

Because I'm sure Mino doesn't know that much about ATL actual needs.

Dipre
12-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Under which scenario do you logically see them signing one of those guys?

Lackey? They have a full rotation.

Scutaro? They have an established SS and 3B.

Valverde? Billy Wagner.

Holliday/Bay? Money.

So no, i doubt we have to take it easy.

BoSox21
12-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Are we really gonna debate the likelyhood of Atlanta signing all those FAs?

jacksonianmarch
12-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I still dont get how Wagner grades out as the 6th highest FA in baseball when the rankings are based off the past 2 seasons and he missed a full yr to Tommy John. Regardless, the sox made a shrewd move here.

And to answer someone's question above, the picks are protected. SO if the sox go out and sign 3 type A FAs, they will lose their own 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounders. But any compensatory selections will stay with the club.

example1
12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I just realized that Theo possibly spun Chris Carter into the #20 pick and a supplemental 1st rounder.

They actually spun Arroyo into WMP into Carter into Wagner into #20 pick. That seems like a decent progression to me. With the way the Sox tend to draft I would trade Arroyo for a 1st round pick just about every time.

ORS
12-02-2009, 01:47 PM
While the summary of the trades is correct, would you trade a pitcher like Arroyo right now for a 1st round draft pick in the 2014 draft? Let's not forget, 4 full seasons have passed since they traded Arroyo.

Dojji
12-02-2009, 02:38 PM

Which by extension means he spun Bronson Arroyo into Wily Mo Pena into Carter into a first and a supplemental.

I'd call that a happy ending.

EDIT: Should have known EX1 would get there first lol.

Dojji
12-02-2009, 02:40 PM
While the summary of the trades is correct, would you trade a pitcher like Arroyo right now for a 1st round draft pick in the 2014 draft? Let's not forget, 4 full seasons have passed since they traded Arroyo.

Sure, I would. Remember, we're trying to be perennial contenders. Having a pick or two in the pocket for the future will help us keep setting up winning years on down the road.

ORS
12-02-2009, 03:41 PM
Sure, I would. Remember, we're trying to be perennial contenders. Having a pick or two in the pocket for the future will help us keep setting up winning years on down the road.
For an averagish cost controlled pitcher who can log innings, I would think you could do better than a "maybe" that, if he pans out, isn't likely to contribute to the big club until 8 years later. You see trades for future picks in the NFL all the time, but high round picks have a lower bust ratio and they tend to contribute immediately when compared to the MLB draft.

EDIT: The fact that they were able to turn Carter into a first round pick is an acceptable recovery, IMO. Let's face it, and this is coming from someone who liked the WMP trade when it was made due to his potential, they lost out on the WMP trade, and Carter appears to have been a downgrade from him. So, I'm glad they righted the ship there, but I wouldn't be onboard for a repeat of the sum total of transactions (with time included).

example1
12-02-2009, 07:11 PM
EDIT: The fact that they were able to turn Carter into a first round pick is an acceptable recovery, IMO. Let's face it, and this is coming from someone who liked the WMP trade when it was made due to his potential, they lost out on the WMP trade, and Carter appears to have been a downgrade from him. So, I'm glad they righted the ship there, but I wouldn't be onboard for a repeat of the sum total of transactions (with time included).

God no. Remember, they also paid Wagner a fair amount to come to them too, so it was all of those trades PLUS the money they spent for Wagner to get a 1st round pick.

That said, the #20 pick is a good one to have and I think there's reason to think that the Sox potentially having multiple 1st round picks bodes well for the future of the club.

BSN07
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
God no. Remember, they also paid Wagner a fair amount to come to them too, so it was all of those trades PLUS the money they spent for Wagner to get a 1st round pick.

That said, the #20 pick is a good one to have and I think there's reason to think that the Sox potentially having multiple 1st round picks bodes well for the future of the club.

They might be more inclined to trade off some young talent knowing they have a couple 1st rounders likely heading to them.

CoachC.
12-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Which by extension means he spun Bronson Arroyo into Wily Mo Pena into Carter into a first and a supplemental.

I'd call that a happy ending.

EDIT: Should have known EX1 would get there first lol.

Don't forget we pretty much got Arroyo for free from the Pirates, which makes this sequence all the more unbelievable.