Papelbon
Okajima
Bard
Ramirez
Delcarmen
_______
_______

------------------------

On the whole, we're in a pretty good situation in the field. Got some age in some crucial places, and we're not the defensive club we've been in seasons past but it's not going to be a franchise-breaking problem unless someone gets seriously hurt.

The middle infield is a sideshow, we can run Lowrie and Green if we have to and if Jed is actually healthy at last that's better than most of the FA's. Or we could get Gonzalez. Or there's still a couple trades we could maybe pull. Regardless, not a lot of real room to either improve or get worse at SS IMHO. As long as we get left field sorted out to our benefit, we're good for another playoff run

I like our rotation a lot, too. Matsuzaka's an enigma and Buchholz is a developing player, but I think we can stack our rotation against anyone's and expect good things. I think we've got some issues but so doesn't everyone, and this is still a top 5 rotation in the league -- right where we need it to be for a good shot at October.

The bullpen is also, not as awesome as it was billed last April, but respectable. We don't have to put a ton of thought into who takes up the last two spots in the pen, and Bard, Delcarmen and possibly Ramirez are good candidates to improve next year. If we can score a decent second lefty I think we'll be doing well.

On the whole, I'd say that we can't do too much to this roster that will make us anything other than an immediate playoff contender -- maybe not a world series favorite, but even if things don't fall perfectly, this team should see October barring a major disaster. There's plenty of room for improvement -- there always is. I do feel we're a top 5 team in every aspect of the game but defense, which won't kill us badly enough to take away our other advantages.

jacksonianmarch
11-15-2009, 05:04 PM
If you go into the yr with that pitching staff, your bullpen will be the strength of the staff and you better make some sacrifices to God, Allah or whomever you believe in that the rotation stays intact and effective.

BoSox21
11-15-2009, 05:11 PM
If you go into the yr with that pitching staff, your bullpen will be the strength of the staff and you better make some sacrifices to God, Allah or whomever you believe in that the rotation stays intact and effective.

Do you constantly wear a name tag that says Hi My Name is Wet Blanket or something? How hasn't the concept of constantly trying to temper the enthusiasm of Red Sox fans bored you to death yet?

Dojji
11-15-2009, 05:36 PM
Because we'll never catch the feared and dreaded "Sabathia And Everyone Else" rotation of the yankees, right?

The Yankees have an actual hole in their rotation, and the questionmarks that surround the idiot Chamberlain, the erratic Burnett, and the aged Pettitte are not trivial.

Don't talk to me about Boston's rotation.

jacksonianmarch
11-15-2009, 05:43 PM
If you actually read what I wrote instead of just slamming it constantly, you can see exactly what I am talking about.

I have consistently stated that a good rotation has 3 reliable pitchers on it. You need to have 3 guys who you can count on to throw 30+ times a yr. The other two spots can be a combination of dependability, injury liability, promise, etc. Right now, NY has two reliable guys in it with CC, and AJ. The Red Sox have Lester and Beckett. I am absolutely positive that we get one reliable pitcher for our 3 hole, either Lackey or Pettitte. I am not sure that the sox are making any improvements in the rotation. If they get a guy who is reliable to slot into that 3 hole, then I think they'll be fine. If they dont then its a crap shoot.

BSN07
11-15-2009, 06:02 PM
I've read Lowrie is going to have to prove himself in AAA. So you can scratch him.

BoSox21
11-15-2009, 06:04 PM
I've read Lowrie is going to have to prove himself in AAA. So you can scratch him.

Well, as it stands today he's the Opening Day SS

Dipre
11-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Hey Jacko. The sky is blue, there is good in the world.

TheMino007
11-16-2009, 01:48 PM
I'm gonna keep this blunt: Sox have no number three, sign Lackey. Bring back Gonzo for one year at SS. Trade for Miguel Cabrera or Adrian Gonzalez. Sign Bay/Holliday. Try to persuade Wanger to come back.

jacksonianmarch
11-16-2009, 03:24 PM
Mino, if the sox did all that, then they would be tough to beat

TheMino007
11-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, that is the idea lol. Thats 50-60 million dollars right there, but it would be well worth it. Realistically, the Sox should bring Gonzo back for 3 mil and re-sign Bay or sign Holliday. Then trade for a big name like Gonzalez or Cabrera or Halladay or Herndandez. Just keep the options open Theo

SCM33
11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
I'm gonna keep this blunt: Sox have no number three, sign Lackey. Bring back Gonzo for one year at SS. Trade for Miguel Cabrera or Adrian Gonzalez. Sign Bay/Holliday. Try to persuade Wanger to come back.

Id be happy with:
1. No Lackey, the rotation is still pretty good without. It would be a nice addition, but if not...another bullpen ACE, not a roster filler arm....but an ACE.
2. A GON returns for a 2 year deal, year 2 we keep him around as a spare part.
3. Hopefully acquire another bat in addition to Bay/Holliday, not going to name him.....but it is a need.
4. Sign Holliday, Ive already seen what Bay brings to the table, I was happy with what I got, but Holliday is more intriguing to me, this is not an argument about who is better, I just think Id like to see what Holliday can do.
5. Absolutely bring Wagner back if he wants to return (sounds like he might).

redsoxrules
11-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, as it stands today he's the Opening Day SS

wonderfull

Lester82
11-19-2009, 02:10 AM
Andy Pettitte will be a reliable no. 3 next year, eh Jackson?

Good luck with that.

Lester82
11-19-2009, 02:14 AM
I like Buchholz as the no. 3 on the Red Sox next season.

Knowing full well he's better talent than that, and starting to show it. Isn't it nice to have him and Lester... Jacko, someday the Yankees will develop a top starting pitcher again.

TheMino007
11-19-2009, 08:50 AM
In order to win a championship you must have three reliable starting pitchers. Dice-K nor Clay are reliable.... yet. If both live up to what they can be I think both a legit number three starters in any ones rotation. But I don't want to take that risk. I want the Sox to sign Lackey and to have the best top of the rotation in the AL. Dice-K needs to make sure he can keep his arm in shape and pitch like he did in 07. Will Buchholz continue to improve this year, or was last years stretch of great pitching just a fluke?

Dojji
11-19-2009, 09:35 AM
There's no reason at all not to go after Lackey, but I see no reason to believe he won't wind up back in Anaheim. So how far are you prepared to go to get that solid #3 starter? You willing to trade for Gil Meche or Derek Lowe?

BoSox21
11-19-2009, 11:28 AM
There's no reason at all not to go after Lackey

Besides the fact that he will command a lot for someone who hasn't thrown more than 176 innings in either of the past two seasons?

TheMino007
11-19-2009, 04:45 PM
There's no reason at all not to go after Lackey, but I see no reason to believe he won't wind up back in Anaheim. So how far are you prepared to go to get that solid #3 starter? You willing to trade for Gil Meche or Derek Lowe?

Its not a top priority, or even a priority is a luxury. Saying that the Sox desperately need Jon Lackey is like saying Clay Buchholz is a legit number three option heading into next season. It just doesn't make sense. Its a long offseason, you never know who Theo is targeting and who will ultimately end up on the roster come Spring Training. I hope Clay develops into a reliable number three, but I don't know if that is the case The Sox have passed up on trading for some big names in favor of keeping Buchholz, so he better prove his worth this season.

TheMino007
11-20-2009, 11:36 AM
The Sox could use some help in the bullpen too. It completely feel apart in the second half. I hope Wagner returns and the Sox make a run at signing Rafael Soriano. He's one of the best bullpen arms in the majors and would add some much needed quality depth to our bullpen.