PDA

View Full Version : Sox Decline Club Option on Varitek

BoSox21
11-09-2009, 02:42 PM
Rob Bradford of WEEI reports that the Sox have declined to pick up the club's $5 million option on Jason Varitek. Varitek now has 5 days to decide whether he will exercise his $3 million player option.

Dojji
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Doesn't mean anything yet. Wait and see.

BoSox21
11-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Yea, it does mean something. It means the Sox declined their option on him. I didn't say he was guaranteed not to be wearing a Sox uniform next year.

Spudboy
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Doesn't mean anything yet. Wait and see.

:blink:

Ok.

Spudboy
11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Yea, it does mean something. It means the Sox declined their option on him. I didn't say he was guaranteed not to be wearing a Sox uniform next year.

Ummmm.... Yeah.

TheMino007
11-10-2009, 08:51 PM
No surprise in the Sox declining it, but I'm pretty sure he'll pick up his player option. He is pretty much a backup now, so he might as well make a lot of money as a backup in Boston, a place that he is comfortable with, then go somewhere else and take significantly less money. I really hope he doesn't pick it up though. We need a reliable backup catcher. V-Mart isn't going to catch 130 games a year, he isn't really a full time catcher. We saw in his last couple years in Cleveland that he was catching less and less and was transitioning over to 1stbase. How many games can he catch before it takes a toll on his offense, 100? 110? Anything over that and its detrimental to his offense. We need a backup who can catch 50-60 games a year, and I don't want that guy to be Tek. Face it, he has nothing left, he can't hit, can't block the plate, and can't throw runners out. The guy flat out sucks. There are other and better options on the free agent market for cheaper that the Sox could use as a backup catcher.

Spudboy
11-10-2009, 09:21 PM
No surprise in the Sox declining it, but I'm pretty sure he'll pick up his player option. He is pretty much a backup now, so he might as well make a lot of money as a backup in Boston, a place that he is comfortable with, then go somewhere else and take significantly less money. I really hope he doesn't pick it up though. We need a reliable backup catcher. V-Mart isn't going to catch 130 games a year, he isn't really a full time catcher. We saw in his last couple years in Cleveland that he was catching less and less and was transitioning over to 1stbase. How many games can he catch before it takes a toll on his offense, 100? 110? Anything over that and its detrimental to his offense. We need a backup who can catch 50-60 games a year, and I don't want that guy to be Tek. Face it, he has nothing left, he can't hit, can't block the plate, and can't throw runners out. The guy flat out sucks. There are other and better options on the free agent market for cheaper that the Sox could use as a backup catcher.

So.

On a day that it is reported that Theo has anointed Victor as the Sox "Full Time Catcher",
you say he can't play more thatn 100-110 games without a significant drop-off in offensive output.

Brilliant!

As a Sox fan, who do I trust?

I don't argue that playing 2 will effect his plate performance. Eventually. But where is the threshold at which decline occurs? 100-110?

News to me.

Veritek "Flat out Sucks"? Says who?

I don't want him as THE CATCHER for the Sox. But I can see him as a back-up.

Who are all the better options?

Divinity
11-11-2009, 01:27 AM
Who do you think will be the next captain of the Red Sox?

BigPapiEnFuego
11-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Who do you think will be the next captain of the Red Sox?

Nobody. It's sort of pointless.

SCM33
11-11-2009, 01:48 AM
Nobody. It's sort of pointless.

And a little tacky to have anyone wearing a "C" on a baseball jersey. I cant believe Varitek actually allowed them to put the "C" there, let alone continue to wear it year in and year out. It was a nice little story, Varitek resigning.....named team captain....yayyyy what a wonderful little homecoming. The "C" on the jersey? Ughhhhh.

A captain, is someone the team looks up to, and leads from behind closed doors within the organization. Someone who bites the bullet and answers the medias harshest questions/comments (ala Mo Vaughn, nobody covered for their teammates better) A "C" on the jersey is just ridiculous eye-candy.

The only sport which sports C on the jersey that doesnt cause vomit inducing symptoms is Hockey. Even as of late Ive noticed that football has their own little system of denoting "captain" by their series of stars where the "C" would be.

I think a baseball team needs a captain, just like everything else, there is rank and respect. I just dont think the whole world needs to know who that person is on the Sox.

v2freak
11-11-2009, 02:29 AM
It'd be pretty sweet if he joined the staff and brought his wisdom and knowledge of the game to the team in a different way.

Lester82
11-11-2009, 02:56 AM
Oh god i pray that Varitek is going to decline that option.

i pray for 3 things in life:

1. Kate Hudson and Arod's social security number and bank account information was on the documents tossed out windows at the WS parade.

2. That whole "World peace" stuff.

3. An explaination for Sammy Sosa's skin

Dipre
11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Oh god i pray that Varitek is going to decline that option.

i pray for 3 things in life:

1. Kate Hudson and Arod's social security number and bank account information was on the documents tossed out windows at the WS parade.

2. That whole "World peace" stuff.

3. An explaination for Sammy Sosa's skin

Vitiligo, it's a disease that destroys melanin-producing cells.

BoSox21
11-11-2009, 09:26 AM
I heard he was undergoing some skin rejuvenation process and that's part of it

Dojji
11-11-2009, 10:21 AM
Uhh guys? He's already picked up the option.

Whether that means he's here next year or that he just gets a $3M farewell gift is a question for Theo to answer.

BoSox21
11-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Uhh guys? He's already picked up the option.

Whether that means he's here next year or that he just gets a $3M farewell gift is a question for Theo to answer.

Well, according to Michael Silverman of the Herald, that's not the case. He wrote the following today:

Boras refused to say what Varitek, who has until today to exercise his $3 million player option for next year and must accept a backup role, would decide.

“That’s just something that he’s going to have to let me know,” Boras said.

Dojji
11-11-2009, 10:37 AM
Huh. I read an article that said it had. I could be relying on bogus info.

jacksonianmarch
11-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I think Varitek is trying to gauge his market and see if he can reasonably expect more PT while potentially making close to or more cash.

BoSox21
11-11-2009, 03:27 PM
I think Varitek is trying to gauge his market and see if he can reasonably expect more PT while potentially making close to or more cash.

cause the catching market has changed so much since last off-season?

jacksonianmarch
11-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Its always in flux. But remember, Vtek needs to take another pay cut and this time, a playing time cut. This is what he is mulling. Is it worth it to return to Boston as a backup for $3 mil or can he get close to that on the open market while being a starter.

BoSox21
11-11-2009, 04:32 PM
But my point is he found nothing on the open market last year and he arguably had a worse season this past year. And there really aren't any more opportunities out there this year than there were last year.

BoSox21
11-11-2009, 04:51 PM
Pete Abraham says Varitek picked up the option

jacksonianmarch
11-11-2009, 05:17 PM
Two useless defensive catchers on the roster. The basepaths might need to be degreased after games.

TheMino007
11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Its not all on the starters. The pitchers make not attempt to hold the runners on, never mind throwing over or varying how long they hold the ball before delivery to home plate. It would be the end of the world as we know it if this coaching staff encouraged pitchers to use a slide step

VA Sox Fan
11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Two useless defensive catchers on the roster. The basepaths might need to be degreased after games.

:rolleyes: ban jacko.:lol:

das11209
11-11-2009, 06:30 PM
:rolleyes: ban jacko.:lol:

No wonder you are smiling to see captain back.

Seriously - does he still get a 'C' on jersey? May be he should get a 'BC' - backup catcher. Or a 'F' for performance.

Tek coming back is bad- we picked up Wake and he can't catch Wake. If noone is available - Kott should be backup who can catch Wake.

We can get better def. backup catchers than Tek and for less than 3 mill. Is there no more Mollina bros?

Why did they have to give him the player option....

TheKilo
11-11-2009, 11:03 PM

Seriously - does he still get a 'C' on jersey? May be he should get a 'BC' - backup catcher. Or a 'F' for performance.

omg ur so funi

VA Sox Fan
11-12-2009, 08:49 AM

Tek coming back is bad- we picked up Wake and he can't catch Wake. If noone is available - Kott should be backup who can catch Wake.

We can get better def. backup catchers than Tek and for less than 3 mill. Is there no more Mollina bros?

Why did they have to give him the player option....

I was smiling at my ban jacko line. I haven't said a word about Tek. I was hoping he'd retire and stay with the Sox organization. But that is not what is happening, so be it. I support the team that the GM and owners put out there and usually keep my whining at a minimum, because it won't change anything. Haven't missed your negative azz being around....:lol::lol::lol:

Welcome back Captain.:lol:

v2freak
11-12-2009, 06:52 PM
Right on VA Sox Fan. Welcome back, Captain! Despite his poor batting, a catcher's ERA under 4 is awesome.

Rdsxmbnt
11-12-2009, 07:50 PM
I've always said you can never have enough dirt dogs on the squad. This is a good move by Theo IMO

a .779 career OPS catcher for three mil is a dam good deal

Dojji
11-12-2009, 08:10 PM
If he gets part time at bats and regular rest, you might be able to squeeze a half decent season from him.

Last couple years he's started out hot and cooled down as the season caught up to him. Now that we have VMart we don't have to make him do that.

Coco's Disciples
11-12-2009, 08:20 PM
I've always said you can never have enough dirt dogs on the squad. This is a good move by Theo IMO

a .779 career OPS catcher for three mil is a dam good deal

Theo declined the option, Varitek picked it up. And the .779 OPS Varitek is gone. He's been brutal the past two years.

TheKilo
11-12-2009, 09:06 PM
^lol

RedSox2737
11-15-2009, 08:57 AM
he'll retire a red sox, hopefully with dignity.........he'll be 2nd to T-nez........I wonder if he'll still wear the "C"............