PDA

View Full Version : Papelbon is fined 5 K for taking too long to throw his first pitch

Christian Snyder
09-04-2009, 08:08 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10023234/Red-Sox-closer-Papelbon-fined-for-slow-pace?MSNToolbar130 I wasn't sure if I should add a poll to this thread?

redsoxrules
09-04-2009, 08:10 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/10023234/Red-Sox-closer-Papelbon-fined-for-slow-pace?MSNToolbar130 I wasn't sure if I should add a poll to this thread?

poll for what?

Dipre
09-04-2009, 08:12 PM
poll for what?

He probably meant whether or not it was fair.

Christian Snyder
Dipre, that's exactly what I was talking about.

redsoxrules
He probably meant whether or not it was fair.

its the rules . no poll is needed

Dipre
09-04-2009, 08:15 PM
its the rules . no poll is needed

It's an appreciation call like a balk.

CrespoBlows
09-04-2009, 08:17 PM
Probably should have just awarded the first batter a ball. This seems a bit too excessive.

Dipre
09-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Probably should have just awarded the first batter a ball. This seems a bit too excessive.

Exaclty why a poll is not necessarily a bad idea.

SoxSport
09-04-2009, 09:08 PM
You mean he waited longer than the length of the TV commercial? That's hard to figure.

BoSox21
09-04-2009, 09:37 PM
so I guess theyre basically telling him he takes too many warmup pitches once he's on the mound...cause I believe he used to go walk from the dugout to the mound but starting jogging it once they started fining him

Box
09-04-2009, 10:13 PM
Must be Obama's doing.

Youk Of The Nation
09-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Man, I bet he's really going to miss that money.

What's the point of fining someone in sports an amount of money they probably spend on potato chips?

That's like me getting a speeding ticket for four cents. Yeah, I really learned my fucking lesson. I'm not saying all fines are justified, but shit, if you're trying to make a point, make it enough that they won't do it again.

msubulldogs21
09-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Man, I bet he's really going to miss that money.

What's the point of fining someone in sports an amount of money they probably spend on potato chips?

That's like me getting a speeding ticket for four cents. Yeah, I really learned my fucking lesson. I'm not saying all fines are justified, but shit, if you're trying to make a point, make it enough that they won't do it again.

I thought of this too. Brett Favre also was just fined $10,000. I think he makes $12M this year.

Cliff
09-05-2009, 10:59 PM
Isn't this the second time he's been fined this year for the same thing?

James
09-06-2009, 04:20 AM
Fine the adverts for taking too long and too many.

Soxgirl4
09-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Agreed

brunansky_caught_the_ball
09-10-2009, 11:13 AM
Good. Papelbon has GOT TO LEARN. This is the second time hes been fined.

It is players like him that are destroying the game. Its those long games that are turning viewers away.

People attention spans are shorter now than theyve ever been and if I have to wait five minutes for him to stroll to the mound and take his warm ups then two minutes inbetween each pitch, Im either falling asleep or putting on Sportscenter.

The_Destroyah
09-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Good. Papelbon has GOT TO LEARN. This is the second time hes been fined.

It is players like him that are destroying the game. Its those long games that are turning viewers away.

People attention spans are shorter now than theyve ever been and if I have to wait five minutes for him to stroll to the mound and take his warm ups then two minutes inbetween each pitch, Im either falling asleep or putting on Sportscenter.

yeah, intense all-star players that havent been caught puping roids through an iv areruining the game :rolleyes:, no teams like the pirates and the Padres are ruining the game if anyone is, champ.

Dipre
09-10-2009, 01:03 PM
yeah, intense all-star players that havent been caught puping roids through an iv areruining the game :rolleyes:, no teams like the pirates and the Padres are ruining the game if anyone is, champ.

A simple "lolwut"? would have sufficed.

The_Destroyah
09-10-2009, 01:35 PM
A simple "lolwut"? would have sufficed.

probably but thats not as enjoyable.<_<

RWTP24
09-10-2009, 02:51 PM
This is ridiculous.. This is the MLB trying to make some money.

The_Destroyah
09-10-2009, 02:58 PM
This is ridiculous.. This is the MLB trying to make some money.

5K doesn't really help the MLB much, they are trying to do everything they can to make the games move along faster, and Paps takes forever so they are trying to make a stand but once again 5K is chump change to him too.

RWTP24
09-10-2009, 03:04 PM
5K doesn't really help the MLB much, they are trying to do everything they can to make the games move along faster, and Paps takes forever so they are trying to make a stand but once again 5K is chump change to him too.

Very true.. And you are right, the game needsto speed up a little.

09-12-2009, 11:45 AM

MLB has these time limit rules because they know that the slow pace of the game is hurting tv ratings. Everytime Pap comes into a game, the pace of the game slows down dramatically.

If your opinion was correct, then MLB would fine the Padres and Pirates $5000 every time they play a game, champ.

Dojji
09-12-2009, 11:56 AM
MLB has these time limit rules because they know that the slow pace of the game is hurting tv ratings. Everytime Pap comes into a game, the pace of the game slows down dramatically.

If your opinion was correct, then MLB would fine the Padres and Pirates $5000 every time they play a game, champ.

Both teams should be fired every time they play a game, for putting such a miserable product on the field.

The_Destroyah
09-12-2009, 12:38 PM

You said ruining the game, which means you think Papelbon is a disgrace to baseball which means you want a lifetime ban from baseball for Paps right?
I didnt say that the teams should be fined, just that TV ratings go down when a real team has to play the crap they drag onto the field. I believe that the MLB's fine to Papelbon was justified, I just dont think that Paps is "ruining the game" as you put it, chief.

bsox0407
09-13-2009, 07:03 PM
i think its bs that he got fined. i understand its rules and everything. buts hes the closer. it makes the games more and more dramatic. it builds the suspense between pitches. it helps the game.

RWTP24
09-14-2009, 01:54 AM
I was reading today that this was he 6th or 7th time.. I'm guessing he could care less about the 5K.

MDF3530
09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
Maybe it's the Steve Trachsel rule?

09-15-2009, 12:34 PM
I was reading today that this was he 6th or 7th time.. I'm guessing he could care less about the 5K.

Pap needs to watch the video "Who Moved My Cheese?" It a video that companies show employees to try and ease them into changes in the workplace. It explains how to deal with change.

Pap is clearly oblivious to what MLB is trying to do...and he would rather repeatedly pay the fine than change. He just doesnt understand that theres a bigger picture...or maybe he just doesnt care.

What a fine employee, huh? :what:

The_Destroyah
09-15-2009, 09:13 PM
Pap needs to watch the video "Who Moved My Cheese?" It a video that companies show employees to try and ease them into changes in the workplace. It explains how to deal with change.

Pap is clearly oblivious to what MLB is trying to do...and he would rather repeatedly pay the fine than change. He just doesnt understand that theres a bigger picture...or maybe he just doesnt care.

What's the bigger picture? I just want him to get saves, if he does that then im good, I understand why the MLB fined him and I dont have a problem with it but I think its a big stretch to say that he is in any way ruining the game.

RWTP24
09-16-2009, 01:59 AM

:lol: Wow, you have to be kidding??

Pap is just fine. He just needs to learn to speed things up a little bit.

I really think this rule is ridiculous, but on the same token, I see why the MLB has it. It takes long enough to play nine innings.