PDA

View Full Version : Lost in all this madness has been Beckett's dominance...

Looch Ness Monster
08-10-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure if people realize sometimes how ridiculous Josh Beckett has been after his slow start. We haven't seen somebody quite this dominant since Pedro in 2000. Beckett hasn't been that great but he's been just a notch below. Because of the slow start the season stats appear pretty similar to 2007 but he had a 3.58 ERA in the same time period in 2007. I think Beckett has been MUCH better and I think he's been MUCH more efficient.

Since May 16th
15 GS, 109.1 IP, 10-2, 1.89 ERA, 0.898 WHIP, 3 CG, 67 Strikes%
Opponents hitting .198/.245/.290/.536

Wow. I know that the Cy Young is the full body of work but even that has been pretty damn impressive. I think he has just as good a shot to win it as anybody. I'm not even being biased. I think he's in the top five, obviously not the frontrunner yet.

Let's enjoy watching Beckett while we can, we're likely going to get just a few more years of this type of performance out of him..probably better at some point.

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 09:09 AM
It's not lost on me. I'm fucking pissed that this team is wasting his incredible season. Same with Lester.

BSN07
08-10-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm not sure if people realize sometimes how ridiculous Josh Beckett has been after his slow start. We haven't seen somebody quite this dominant since Pedro in 2000. Beckett hasn't been that great but he's been just a notch below. Because of the slow start the season stats appear pretty similar to 2007 but he had a 3.58 ERA in the same time period in 2007. I think Beckett has been MUCH better and I think he's been MUCH more efficient.

Since May 16th
15 GS, 109.1 IP, 10-2, 1.89 ERA, 0.898 WHIP, 3 CG, 67 Strikes%
Opponents hitting .198/.245/.290/.536

Wow. I know that the Cy Young is the full body of work but even that has been pretty damn impressive. I think he has just as good a shot to win it as anybody. I'm not even being biased. I think he's in the top five, obviously not the frontrunner yet.

Let's enjoy watching Beckett while we can, we're likely going to get just a few more years of this type of performance out of him..probably better at some point.

I'm not overlooking it

Looch Ness Monster
08-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I just think with all the "Oh no, the season is over!" talk A LOT of people are forgetting how great of a season Beckett is having and how he can practically carry the team whenever he wants.

jacksonianmarch
08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
I just think with all the "Oh no, the season is over!" talk A LOT of people are forgetting how great of a season Beckett is having and how he can practically carry the team whenever he wants.

One starting pitcher cannot carry a team because that pitcher will only play in 20% of the games.

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 09:45 AM

not unless the offense can score at least one run which didn't happen on Friday

SoxSport
08-10-2009, 03:32 PM
One starting pitcher cannot carry a team because that pitcher will only play in 20% of the games.

Yeah--but the Red Sox don't go anywhere without a healthy Beckett. Look at the playoffs last year.

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Yeah--but the Red Sox don't go anywhere without a healthy Beckett. Look at the playoffs last year.

they went to Game 7 of the ALCS....how is that not going anywhere?

cobra24
08-10-2009, 03:39 PM
We all know the sox are going to get in the playoffs. this is just a slump and and we still have the pitching. yes, getting beat like we did at the new Yankees (little league) stadium sucks, but they dont play all their games at home. so, if we can just get in the playoffs they will be fine.

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 03:44 PM
We all know the sox are going to get in the playoffs.

no, we don't

just a slump

hitting-wise, I agree

and we still have the pitching.

not unless Dice-K comes back as 2008 Dice

cobra24
08-10-2009, 03:51 PM
no, we don't

not unless Dice-K comes back as 2008 Dice

well, i really feel that the sox will be just fine..

i think dice k will be ok.. and i really like Clay. he did pitch really good against the yankees.

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
I admire your optimism but I have a hard time expecting anything from Dice this season and allowing 11 baserunners in 6 innings against the Yankees while only allowing 2 runs suggests he was playing with fire and was lucky he didn't get burned.

cobra24
08-10-2009, 04:00 PM
I admire your optimism but I have a hard time expecting anything from Dice this season and allowing 11 baserunners in 6 innings against the Yankees while only allowing 2 runs suggests he was playing with fire and was lucky he didn't get burned.

well, i hear what you are saying.. i really hope im right, because i really hate seeing the yankees win.

also, do you really think this team cant win the wild card??

P3dro1a15
08-10-2009, 04:01 PM
I think they will be fine as well, and Josh Beckett is the fucking man and I'm really pissed we didn't get him a win Friday and we actually have 2 starters, Lester is dominant as well, Clay will hopefully step up as long as he realizes he has to attack hitters and not show them everything he has the first time through. If we make the plaoffs we will have Beckett and lester pitching and in a 5 game series that means hopefully we will have to win only once when our 3, 4, 5 pitchers pitch. And in a & game series that means most likely Beckett and Lester get 2 starts each, If Bard gets it back together he is nasty, and so is the rest of the BP. Hitting wise if we suck now and play decent tilll the end of the season we will hopefully make the playoffs and if we get hot at the right time then we are serious contenders

cobra24
08-10-2009, 04:16 PM
i really like this guy ^... everything is right on. Beckett just might be the best pitcher in baseball right now.

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 04:31 PM
also, do you really think this team cant win the wild card??

I think they can cause I think the offense will heat up again but it's far from a foregone conclusion. They're in the mix with the Rays and Rangers IMO

P3dro1a15
08-10-2009, 04:43 PM
I think they can cause I think the offense will heat up again but it's far from a foregone conclusion. They're in the mix with the Rays and Rangers IMO
In my opinion not really worried about the Rangers, If one of our problems is pitching then they are in worse shape than us, they have no ace and have young pitchers in there rotation. This will be a crucial series this weekend in Texas

BoSox21
08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
In my opinion not really worried about the Rangers, If one of our problems is pitching then they are in worse shape than us, they have no ace and have young pitchers in there rotation. This will be a crucial series this weekend in Texas

but their lineup actually hits

P3dro1a15
08-10-2009, 04:50 PM
but their lineup actually hits
And our lineup will never hit again?

TheKilo
08-10-2009, 04:57 PM
Where is the improvement coming from, though?

P3dro1a15
08-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Where is the improvement coming from, though?
Logic?

Bay is a good hitter, V-Mart obviously helps us, Pedroia and Youk are solid and once it come together and I think it will, we will be fine and Drew gets on base consistently, we just need the big hit that's what we are lacking

cobra24
08-10-2009, 06:53 PM
So far, so good tonight. lets just keep it going..

SoxSport
08-11-2009, 04:12 PM
they went to Game 7 of the ALCS....how is that not going anywhere?

They lost it because Beckett was hurt. They would have been in the WS against the Phillies if Beckett hadn't been hurt and sub-par. That's the point.

BoSox21
08-11-2009, 06:04 PM
They lost it because Beckett was hurt. They would have been in the WS against the Phillies if Beckett hadn't been hurt and sub-par. That's the point.

you could say they lost it cause they had to toss Wakefield out there for a start. or because Ortiz disappeared. a healthy Beckett would've been nice but I still think they could've overcome his injury

redsoxrules
08-11-2009, 06:07 PM
If we had a healthy Beckett in last years playoffs the red sox would of been up 2-0 easily on the Rays