PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox Waive Mark Kotsay

BoSox21
07-24-2009, 02:13 PM
With the Red Sox needing to clear a spot on the 25-man roster for newly acquired Adam LaRoche, Mark Kotsay is the odd man out.

The Red Sox have placed the veteran outfielder/first baseman on waivers this afternoon.

If he is not claimed within 48 hours, the club can either release him outright or send him to the minor leagues.

Kotsay, 33, has played 27 games this season, with one home run and five RBIs. He began the season on the disabled list while recovering from offseason back surgery, and he has also battled recurring calf problems. He batted .257 with a .297 on-base percentage since being added to the active roster June 2.

The 13-year veteran, a good defender and popular clubhouse presence, was acquired by the Red Sox from the Braves last August 2.

He batted .226 for the Sox with no homers and 12 RBIs in 22 games and 87 at-bats last season for the Sox.

He saw significant playing time in the postseason after third baseman Mike Lowell was injured, and he batted .250 with three doubles and two runs scored in 10 playoff games while playing outstanding defense at first base.

Boston Globe

suns
07-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I wonder who's going to want him.

Coco's Disciples
07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Then I was wrong...but it makes sense.

Gom
07-24-2009, 02:32 PM
I can see the Mets picking him up and playing him at 1B. Or pretty much anywhere but 3B.

Spudboy
07-24-2009, 02:42 PM
The logical move with LaRoche now on board.
I'm sorry to see the guy go. From all counts he was well liked. He played pretty good D at 1st and helped in the OF occasionally. Not an exciting bat to watch which is too bad. I hope he catches on and believe that he will soon. I'd like to see him clear waivers and be sent to Pawtucket. I don't see it happening though.

I'm a little concerned with the lack of outfield depth now.

Dipre
07-24-2009, 03:27 PM
The logical move with LaRoche now on board.
I'm sorry to see the guy go. From all counts he was well liked. He played pretty good D at 1st and helped in the OF occasionally. Not an exciting bat to watch which is too bad. I hope he catches on and believe that he will soon. I'd like to see him clear waivers and be sent to Pawtucket. I don't see it happening though.

I'm a little concerned with the lack of outfield depth now.

Chris Duncan says hello.

Spudboy
07-24-2009, 03:31 PM
Chris Duncan says hello.

I'm still concerned. Mr. bulging disc has done jack-shit since last July, I believe. Plus he is in Pawtucket, not on the Boston bench.

Dipre
07-24-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm still concerned. Mr. bulging disc has done jack-shit since last July, I believe. Plus he is in Pawtucket, not on the Boston bench.

A) He's a call away.

B ) Mr. Bulging Disc is a monumental upgrade offensively over Mark Kotsay.

Spudboy
07-24-2009, 03:38 PM
A) He's a call away.

B ) Mr. Bulging Disc is a monumental upgrade offensively over Mark Kotsay.

I feel so much better now.:D

Dipre
07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I feel so much better now.:D

In all honesty, you should.

Kotsay couldn't hit a HR in batting practice.

Dojji
07-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Someone in the NL will take Kotsay as a 5th outfielder. He can still defend, he just can't hit anymore.

SoxSport
07-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Re Kotsay, the Mets have been awfully quiet, considering all their injuries. I guess Wilpon isn't in a spending mood after getting milked for millions in bad investments. If the Phillies get Halladay, they'll be the WS favorites, even over the Yankees. Epstein seems to have drawn a line in the sand about trading young talent?? for established stars, and that could hurt.

Spudboy
07-24-2009, 05:08 PM
In all honesty, you should.

Kotsay couldn't hit a HR in batting practice.

Lots of sophisticated defensive metrics place him right around average, or a tick below average. But truthfully? He looks like a circus bear out there. On more than one occasion, I've commented that he needs a bicycle helmet in LF so he doesn't hurt himself.

As a hitter, I expect that he's toast. He had the sports hernia thing, and then the experimental-first-time-ever neck surgery, and hasn't been able to hit water if he fell out of a boat ever since.

He might be a decent PH/DH/rainy day starter in LF against RHP's only. But for the price (cheap as dirt), it can't hurt to give it a try.[/quote]

I just grabbed this from a Cardinal Message Board.

I'm still concerned.

Dipre
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
Lots of sophisticated defensive metrics place him right around average, or a tick below average. But truthfully? He looks like a circus bear out there. On more than one occasion, I've commented that he needs a bicycle helmet in LF so he doesn't hurt himself.

As a hitter, I expect that he's toast. He had the sports hernia thing, and then the experimental-first-time-ever neck surgery, and hasn't been able to hit water if he fell out of a boat ever since.

He might be a decent PH/DH/rainy day starter in LF against RHP's only. But for the price (cheap as dirt), it can't hurt to give it a try.

I just grabbed this from a Cardinal Message Board.

I'm still concerned.

So you'd rather have Lugo and Kotsay, champ?

Spudboy
07-24-2009, 05:21 PM
So you'd rather have Lugo and Kotsay, champ?

Champ? I believe that I deserve at least a modicum of respect from my favorite Dominican!

Seriously, I'm glad that Lugo is gone. He had no role here anymore. To bad it cost $13 mil+ to dump him. Kotsay? Meh. I liked his D at 1st and his versatility. As far s Duncan goes, I have low expectations. You give shit, you get shit back.

Dipre
07-24-2009, 05:29 PM
Champ? I believe that I deserve at least a modicum of respect from my favorite Dominican!

Seriously, I'm glad that Lugo is gone. He had no role here anymore. To bad it cost $13 mil+ to dump him. Kotsay? Meh. I liked his D at 1st and his versatility. As far s Duncan goes, I have low expectations. You give shit, you get shit back.

Duncan can play pretty good D at first, the reason he plays like a circus monkey in left is because he was brought up as a 1B.

BSN07
07-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Not a surprising move here. Someone had to go. Thanks for your hard effort and all around team mentality Mark. I hope you catch on somewhere. And as the Mets are one of the safe havens for former Red Sox players, you might get a chance there;)

Dipre
07-25-2009, 07:43 AM
Not a surprising move here. Someone had to go. Thanks for your hard effort and all around team mentality Mark. I hope you catch on somewhere. And as the Mets are one of the safe havens for former Red Sox players, you might get a chance there;)

The Mets right now are the haven for everyone's former players, for Christ's sake.

BSN07
07-25-2009, 08:12 AM
The Mets right now are the haven for everyone's former players, for Christ's sake.

Good point.

TheKilo
07-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Praise Jebus

SCM33
07-28-2009, 04:04 PM
Mark Kotsay is the guy in the deal for Anderson.

CHI gets Kotsay
BOS gets Anderson

BoSox21
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
lol @ TSN's ticker

"White Sox trade OF Brian Anderson to Red Sox for 1B/3B Mark Kotsay"

Dojji
07-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Not only has Anderson never played 3B in his life, he THROWS LEFTY.

ORS
07-28-2009, 05:33 PM
Looks like he already has a landing spot.

I, for one, am simply amazed that your Super Deluxe Trade Scenario Generator hasn't been able to "see" any of the moves they've made thus far. With the amount of poop it flings against the wall, one would think you could have Rorschach'd something from the results that was in the ballpark on what they've done to date.

Maybe now you'll begin to understand why I label the activity so tedious and uninteresting.

TheKilo
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM

I, for one, am simply amazed that your Super Deluxe Trade Scenario Generator hasn't been able to "see" any of the moves they've made thus far. With the amount of poop it flings against the wall, one would think you could have Rorschach'd something from the results that was in the ballpark on what they've done to date.

Maybe now you'll begin to understand why I label the activity so tedious and uninteresting.

This post is a shining example of why you need to post more.

Dipre
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Seconded with passion.

Coco's Disciples
07-28-2009, 05:46 PM

Yes. ORS, how are things with the new house?

ORS
07-28-2009, 05:48 PM
We are getting things done at the new house. When I'm done with it all I'll post pictures. There's still a bit left to do, and as soon as I get done scarfing my dinner while making a few posts, I'm back to work. I should be back to normal around Sept.

Coco's Disciples
07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
We are getting things done at the new house. When I'm done with it all I'll post pictures. There's still a bit left to do, and as soon as I get done scarfing my dinner while making a few posts, I'm back to work. I should be back to normal around Sept.

Good to hear/see. We'll just have to wait until September...

BSN07
07-28-2009, 05:50 PM

And that's your angle and I respect that. I for one like to talk about different scenario's however unlikely because they do interest me.

I don't force anyone to read my posts and/or respond to them. If you don't like what you read from me, I'm fairly certain you can block me. Anything after that is on you.

Goes for the anyone else either. Don't like it ignore me. I won't hold a grudge. I know my way is not everyone's cup of tea. And is why I don't try and force it on anyone else either.

TheKilo
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Don't get all bent out of shape about it. It's a public discussion forum and we're discussing these things publicly.

Dojji
07-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Which of course was BSN07's point.

BSN07
07-28-2009, 05:57 PM
Yes I know. And i know what you guys think of me for the most part. I'm just saying I don't need to be reminded of it on a constant basis. I've been here for nearly 3 years and I haven't changed. I am what I am.

Instead of the usual " u r dum" type posts, we should have a smilie made so that when I make one of my numerous off the wall suggestions, you can just put it up and I'll know how your feeling about it:lol:

Jacoby_Ellsbury
07-28-2009, 05:59 PM
And that's your angle and I respect that. I for one like to talk about different scenario's however unlikely because they do interest me.

I don't force anyone to read my posts and/or respond to them. If you don't like what you read from me, I'm fairly certain you can block me. Anything after that is on you.

Goes for the anyone else either. Don't like it ignore me. I won't hold a grudge. I know my way is not everyone's cup of tea. And is why I don't try and force it on anyone else either.
I don't mind it. The worst it can be is discussion fodder. :D

Dojji
07-28-2009, 06:02 PM
At least we have a minimum of those REALLY REALLY stupid trade proposals you sometimes see on a few forums. I think the worst one we've had this year is Drew for Magglio Ordonez straight up.

TheKilo
Yes I know. And i know what you guys think of me for the most part. I'm just saying I don't need to be reminded of it on a constant basis. I've been here for nearly 3 years and I haven't changed. I am what I am.

Instead of the usual " u r dum" type posts, we should have a smilie made so that when I make one of my numerous off the wall suggestions, you can just put it up and I'll know how your feeling about it:lol:

My u r dum post was in a GT FWIW

BSN07
I don't mind it. The worst it can be is discussion fodder. :D

Exactly. Is that so hard to realize? Yes I could just talk about what's being reported by the main stream all the time. But where the hell is the fun in that? I like to think for myself sometimes, and not just go off what I'm being told by Frodo Baggins and Jon Heyman:D

Jacoby_Ellsbury
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
At least we have a minimum of those REALLY REALLY stupid trade proposals you sometimes see on a few forums.

You mean the Bubba Bell for Justin Verlander type shit (yes, I have heard that from people)?

BSN07
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
My u r dum post was in a GT FWIW

True True.

Dojji
07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
You mean the Bubba Bell for Justin Verlander type shit (yes, I have heard that from people)?

Yeah, or Brad Penny for John Lackey, justified by the salary we'd be taking on. What we're seeing here are sometimes kooky but usually there's a method to the madness.

Dipre
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
Exactly. Is that so hard to realize? Yes I could just talk about what's being reported by the main stream all the time. But where the hell is the fun in that? I like to think for myself sometimes, and not just go off what I'm being told by Frodo Baggins and Jon Heyman:D

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Youk Of The Nation
07-28-2009, 06:09 PM
What about Saito and Penny for Halladay!?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
07-28-2009, 06:10 PM
What about Saito and Penny for Halladay!?
Overpaying, they need to give us Travis Snider and Alex Rios then.

Youk Of The Nation
07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
I'd settle for Hill and Lind.

BSN07
07-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Trade scenarios can be sticky business lol

BSN07
07-28-2009, 06:13 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

First time you've seen me use that? lol

It is one of my more favorite names for Rosenthaul.

BoSox21
07-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I'd settle for Hill and Lind.

and then we can put Pedroia at SS, HIS NATURAL POSITIONNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111sh ift+1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!