PDA

View Full Version : Can/Should the Sox extend Rocco Baldelli?

Dojji
07-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Baldelli is looking very good out there right now and is currently sporting an OPS of .819 with 4 HR's. Defense is good. Attitude seems good. Arm is fantastic. He's a fantastic 4th outfielder and perfect for the role because his health won't permit him to be a starter. I'd love to see this guy in Boston in this niche for a long time.

What are the chances we can keep this guy awhile in the gabe Kapler role? What kind of money and years would it take? Am I jumping the gun on thinking about trying to keep the guy beyond this year?

Coco's Disciples
07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't see why not, but not before the season is over. He could still get hurt.

Spudboy
07-12-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't see why not, but not before the season is over. He could still get hurt.

I'm a big Rocco fan. But I agree with CCD. There is no urgency to sign him. Who else will be available at season's end that could perform a similar role?

Youk Of The Nation
07-12-2009, 09:06 PM
I'm a big Rocco fan. But I agree with CCD. There is no urgency to sign him. Who else will be available at season's end that could perform a similar role?

Eric Hinske!

Oh, wait a minute...

Dipre
07-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Eric Hinske!

Oh, wait a minute...

Hold up there, partner.

I know what you're thinking "Eric Hinske sucks ass" but if you look at his stats you'll realize that you're absolutely right.

BoSox21
07-12-2009, 09:26 PM
bottom line is, has be proven enough to enough teams that he'll get offers to be a full-time OFer? if he has, then he's gone

Dipre
07-12-2009, 09:27 PM
bottom line is, has be proven enough to enough teams that he'll get offers to be a full-time OFer? if he has, then he's gone

I don't think he has, it seems fairly obvious he can barely play full games sometimes, much less play every day.

BoSox21
07-12-2009, 09:28 PM
if that's the case, then he's a perfect candidate to keep on this team to platoon with Drew

Dipre
07-12-2009, 09:34 PM
if that's the case, then he's a perfect candidate to keep on this team to platoon with Drew

Not only is his defense an asset, he can take any lefty deep at any given time.

jacksonianmarch
07-12-2009, 09:59 PM
Baldelli has proven he can stay healthy in a 4th OFer role and that he can still hit. That being said, there will be plenty of teams willing to offer him a spot in their everyday lineup, either as a full time OFer or a OF/DH split to keep his legs fresh. I think with his illness, he is best suited as a 4th OFer, but I do think some team will come calling with a reasonable deal for lots of playing time.

a700hitter
07-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Baldelli has proven he can stay healthy in a 4th OFer role and that he can still hit. That being said, there will be plenty of teams willing to offer him a spot in their everyday lineup, either as a full time OFer or a OF/DH split to keep his legs fresh. I think with his illness, he is best suited as a 4th OFer, but I do think some team will come calling with a reasonable deal for lots of playing time.He can barely handle the playing time that he has been getting. Late in games his legs tighten up and he can't go full speed. The other day when he learned that Ellsbury had been thrown out of the game he told the press that he took 4 advils and went to the dugout in case he had to play. This guy has some serious physical limitations.

jacksonianmarch
07-12-2009, 10:25 PM
that wont stop some stupid team from offering him close to a full time position.

Dojji
07-12-2009, 10:37 PM
I suggest an addendum to the table.

Topic|Team|Content
Prospect|Yankees|The player in question is made of 150% pure awesomeness. Fear us.
Prospect|Sox|He could be good, but this is why he won't be.
Signing|Yankees|This is the missing piece. We'll win 160 games, and the umps will screw us out of 2.
Signing|Sox|Risky move, overpaid here, they'll regret this.
Injury|Yankees|They don't get hurt. Hypothetically, if they did, the recovery will be speedy with no impact to ability.
Injury|Sox|Everyone is a ticking time bomb. Once hurt, they'll never heal right.
Pending FA|Yankees|He will surely sign with the Yankees, or if not, good riddance to bad rubbish
Pending FA|Sox|He will reject any deal with Boston and sign with New York

Dipre
07-12-2009, 10:48 PM
I suggest an addendum to the table.

Topic|Team|Content
Prospect|Yankees|The player in question is made of 150% pure awesomeness. Fear us.
Prospect|Sox|He could be good, but this is why he won't be.
Signing|Yankees|This is the missing piece. We'll win 160 games, and the umps will screw us out of 2.
Signing|Sox|Risky move, overpaid here, they'll regret this.
Injury|Yankees|They don't get hurt. Hypothetically, if they did, the recovery will be speedy with no impact to ability.
Injury|Sox|Everyone is a ticking time bomb. Once hurt, they'll never heal right.
Pending FA|Yankees|He will surely sign with the Yankees, or if not, good riddance to bad rubbish
Pending FA|Sox|He will reject any deal with Boston and sign with New York

Come on Doiji, you're being a douche.

This is one of the scarce times when Jacko's objective, and you're gonna mock him?

You should save the table for when it's really needed.

Dojji
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
Maybe I misjudged the situation a little but I thought this was at least a borderline case.

I don't think it's realistic that someone will offer Baldelli money to start for them. We've seen this movie before and I think everyone's aware, like a700 said, that the problem isn't really fixed, that all we're doing is putting baldelli in a position where he can cope with it.

Now with that said, a team like the Cubs or Cardinals could go after the guy for a more active platoonish role than the Sox would give Baldelli, but certainly no team in this league is crazy enough to try to make Baldelli a full-time starter again or try to make him play more than once or twice a week. No matter where he goes, if he gets 400 at bats in any season it's because something's gone wrong for someone.

Besides, I was wanting to include those lines in the chart anyway for the next time Bay extension talks top the forum, so they'll be there.

Dipre
07-12-2009, 11:09 PM
Maybe I misjudged the situation a little but I thought this was at least a borderline case.

I don't think it's realistic that someone will offer Baldelli money to start for them. We've seen this movie before and I think everyone's aware, like a700 said, that the problem isn't really fixed, that all we're doing is putting baldelli in a position where he can cope with it.

Now with that said, a team like the Cubs or Cardinals could go after the guy for a more active platoonish role than the Sox would give Baldelli, but certainly no team in this league is crazy enough to try to make Baldelli a full-time starter again or try to make him play more than once or twice a week. No matter where he goes, if he gets 400 at bats in any season it's because something's gone wrong for someone.

Besides, I was wanting to include those lines in the chart anyway for the next time Bay extension talks top the forum, so they'll be there.

Fair enough.