PDA

View Full Version : Sox players spending their careers in Boston?

Looch Ness Monster
05-10-2009, 01:36 PM
Which Sox players under 30 do you think will spend the longest/shortest time in Boston out of this list of players?

Rank them starting with

1. Longest tenure
16. Shortest tenure

Sox players under 30
Jonathan Papelbon - 28
Dustin Pedroia - 25
Jon Lester - 25
Justin Masterson - 24
Ramon Ramirez - 27
Hunter Jones -25
Michael Bowden - 22
Josh Beckett - 28
Daisuke Matsuzaka - 28
Chris Carter - 26
Rocco Baldelli - 27
Argenis Diaz - 22
Junichi Tazawa - 23
Manny Delcarmen - 27
Daniel Bard - 23
Clay Buchholz - 24

Coco's Disciples
05-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Not gonna do the whole 16, but I see Pedroia, Lester and Bard here for a while, while Baldelli will probably be gone after this year.

CrespoBlows
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Not gonna do the whole 16, but I see Pedroia, Lester and Bard here for a while, while Baldelli will probably be gone after this year.

I'd add Buchholz.

I don't see Carter or Jones being around too long.

castigs850
05-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Dustin Pedroia - 25
Jon Lester - 25
Clay Buchholz - 24
Daniel Bard - 23
Michael Bowden - 22
Justin Masterson - 24
Jonathan Papelbon - 28
Junichi Tazawa - 23
Ramon Ramirez - 27
Daisuke Matsuzaka - 28
Josh Beckett - 28
Manny Delcarmen - 27
Hunter Jones -25
Chris Carter - 26
Argenis Diaz - 22
Rocco Baldelli - 27

Looch Ness Monster
05-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Do you guys see Dustin Pedroia and Jon Lester both retiring in Boston? I think I do. I would love to see Dusty eventually get his number 15 up in the rafters if he can have a good enough career to earn it. He's off to a great start.

And I don't know why you're so sure Buchholz is going to be a steady player here. He hasn't really found a spot in the rotation yet and it's going to be hard for him to do so. I could see him eventually leaving to become a #1 or #2 guy of the rotation on a team in a smaller market.

Lil D-Ped
05-10-2009, 03:46 PM
What does Papelbon hold on his future in Boston? Will he stay here for long?

BSN07
05-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Do you guys see Dustin Pedroia and Jon Lester both retiring in Boston? I think I do. I would love to see Dusty eventually get his number 15 up in the rafters if he can have a good enough career to earn it. He's off to a great start.

And I don't know why you're so sure Buchholz is going to be a steady player here. He hasn't really found a spot in the rotation yet and it's going to be hard for him to do so. I could see him eventually leaving to become a #1 or #2 guy of the rotation on a team in a smaller market.

It be nice to think of Pedroia being able to accomplish that. But after 2+ seasons most where thinking the same of Nomah.

BSN07
05-10-2009, 04:16 PM

If his demands don't waiver, he will be a Yankees in a couple years.

BoSox21
05-10-2009, 04:21 PM

Until he gets to free agency, then he'll sign a long-term deal with the Yankees and inherit Rivera's spot

example1
05-10-2009, 08:49 PM
Until he gets to free agency, then he'll sign a long-term deal with the Yankees and inherit Rivera's spot

If he's good enough. If his WHIP is still around 1.4 he might not warrant a long term expensive contract.

BoSox21
05-11-2009, 07:20 AM
If he's good enough. If his WHIP is still around 1.4 he might not warrant a long term expensive contract.

It's the Yankees....

BSN07
05-11-2009, 07:39 AM
It's the Yankees....

Exactly. Throw in the fact they will be taking him from the Red Sox, they will all but forget about his WHIP.

Dojji
05-11-2009, 08:37 AM
Honestly... I can' understand the attitudes of Sox fans who look at every good player we have and start immediately imagining them in pinstripes.

BSN07
05-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Honestly... I can' understand the attitudes of Sox fans who look at every good player we have and start immediately imagining them in pinstripes.

Not every player.

But Papelbon is obvious candidate. He wants to set the $ mark for closers in Baseball. The Sox have shown they will place a value on him and not go above it. Chances are the Sox will value Papelbon less then what he values himself. Does this mean they will 100% not ink him to a new deal? No. There's always a chance of them signing him.

The Yankees however have shown they don't care about $. They will be looking to replace Mo. Will have no quarrel about making Papelbon the highest paid Closer ever. And they will provide the stage an atmosphere(well maybe not atmosphere anymore:lol:) that Papelbon has grown to enjoy.

I'm sure some other teams will be involved, but if the Yankees need a Closer. Do you honestly see anyone outbidding them?

Dojji
05-11-2009, 08:58 AM
Of course the Yankees are gioing to have a devil of a time attracting pitchers unless they do something about that Los Angeles Coliseum right field of theirs..

BSN07
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Of course the Yankees are gioing to have a devil of a time attracting pitchers unless they do something about that Los Angeles Coliseum right field of theirs..

Money lessons the blow of an inflated ERA.

ORS
05-11-2009, 09:05 AM
What's wrong with openly discussing the elephant in the living room? We have some good young players. When/if they reach the FA market, some of them will fill a need for the team with the deepest pockets. Acknowleding this is confronting the facts. Ignoring it is an act of denial.

BoSox21
05-11-2009, 09:11 AM

When the Yankees have the a glaring need and the most money to spend and a player fills that need and is looking to get the most money, he will be a Yankee.

Honestly, if MDC, Ramirez and Bard continue to pan out, I say trade Paps in his walk year.

BSN07
05-11-2009, 09:16 AM
When the Yankees have the a glaring need and the most money to spend and a player fills that need and is looking to get the most money, he will be a Yankee.

Honestly, if MDC, Ramirez and Bard continue to pan out, I say trade Paps in his walk year.

If bard pitches well this season, it could very well happen.

ms_sox
05-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I don't really see Paps retiring as a redsox (or yankee). His ego is too big and his desire for cash too large, which means he'll try to play as many years as possible and will be moved around from team to team in his later years.