PDA

View Full Version : Not letting Bowden start the ninth inning

LarryJ
04-27-2009, 04:15 PM
What is the logic in taking out Bowden and bringing in Saito to start the ninth. Would it not have made more sense to leave him in and if he ran into some trouble then bring in Saito. What would they have done if Saito ran into trouble?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
04-27-2009, 04:16 PM
What would they have done if Bowden ran into trouble? Its been well demonstrated that bad, game-costing outings early in a pitcher's career can be problematic. No guarantee Saito would have been able to clean up that mess either.

Coco's Disciples
04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Well, Francona's logic is that Saito was the "closer" of the day, and with a save opp in the 9th, it's his territory. I think Bowden in the 9th would have been a good idea, and if the Sox scored in the 8th I think that would have happened. I agree that if Saito had nothing in the 9th then they'd be screwed.

Dojji
04-27-2009, 04:34 PM
I don't see the need to put Bowden at risk there. Let him have his 2 perfect innings, which is more than you could reasonably expect from a rookie anyway, and go to Saito, who's fresher. It's good bullpen management not to ride guys into the ground, especially if you might need them later.

Besides, Saito isn't exactly overworked. He last pitched 2 days ago and was fresh and available.

BoSox21
04-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't see the need to put Bowden at risk there. Let him have his 2 perfect innings, which is more than you could reasonably expect from a rookie anyway, and go to Saito, who's fresher. It's good bullpen management not to ride guys into the ground, especially if you might need them later.

Bowden is a starting pitcher. How does using him for more than two innings ride him into the ground? Especially considering it was common knowledge he was headed back to Pawtucket immediately after the game

Dojji
04-27-2009, 05:21 PM
In that vein, exactly what did 1 inning of Saito hurt?

Asking more than 2 innings at a go out of any relief pitcher, even one that's stretched out, is pushing it, especially against NYY. There really was no need to play this aggressively. Let the kid take his kudos for 2 good innings and then go back with a load of confidence to work on his stuff in the minors.

BoSox21
04-27-2009, 05:27 PM
In that vein, exactly what did 1 inning of Saito hurt?

what did 1 inning of a pitcher with a partially torn elbow ligament hurt? nothing......I hope....

Asking more than 2 innings at a go out of any relief pitcher, even one that's stretched out, is pushing it, especially against NYY. There really was no need to play this aggressively. Let the kid take his kudos for 2 good innings and then go back with a load of confidence to work on his stuff in the minors.

I can buy the whole "he pitched two scoreless against the Yanks so he's on top of the world" argument but he isn't a relief pitcher. He's a starting pitcher that was used in the bullpen in an emergency situation.

I think using Saito was playing it more aggressively than keeping Bowden in. Saito hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the early going of the season

jacksonianmarch
04-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Yep. Saito was the closer for the day and he had the chance at a save. If you are willing to designate a guy as the closer for that game, then its hard to rationalize not using him in that situation

CrespoBlows
04-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I have to say this again, but if Michael Bowden can't get over a loss on 4/26, then he needs to be promptly cut.

Dojji
04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
I have to say this again, but if Michael Bowden can't get over a loss on 4/26, then he needs to be promptly cut.

Which, while true, has nothing to do with anything. But if you don't think confidence affects development and performance you weren't watching the sport of baseball last year.

CrespoBlows
04-27-2009, 06:46 PM
What would they have done if Bowden ran into trouble? Its been well demonstrated that bad, game-costing outings early in a pitcher's career can be problematic. No guarantee Saito would have been able to clean up that mess either.

Dojji
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
What? He's right. Look at Buchholz last year.

You had a choice between letting Bowden leave on a nigh note with a fresh and talented pitcher available to replace him or roll the dice that he can shut the Yankees down a third inning. I think the choice in that situation is pretty clear.

CrespoBlows
05-01-2009, 04:48 PM
What? He's right. Look at Buchholz last year.

You had a choice between letting Bowden leave on a nigh note with a fresh and talented pitcher available to replace him or roll the dice that he can shut the Yankees down a third inning. I think the choice in that situation is pretty clear.

Buchholz threw a fucking no-hitter in his second major league start. How much do you want to baby these guys?

If he's suffering from being a pussy, trade his ass for a SS. This fucking lie about pitcher's suffering from PTSD, because they allowed a couple of runs in an emergency situation needs to end.