PDA

View Full Version : The Catcher Question: Kottaras v. Bard

Dojji
03-16-2009, 04:54 PM
OK we've had a chance to see some Spring Training at bats from both catchers, it's time to try for a serious conversation of which one of our options we actually want the team to go with.

We can talk about other catching options but really, it cones down to Bard and Kot. Trying to pass a catcher who hit 22 home runs in AAA last year through waivers is basically kissing him goodbye, and Bard's contract is IIRC not guaranteed. Meaning that if we pick anyone but Kot, we lose Kot, and if we pick anyone but Bard, we lose Bard.

We could pick a third option, and Brown's tearing it up, but if we break camp with him we will have to eaive or trade both Bard and Kottaras. And again, given how hard it is to find a catcher who can hit I have a hard time believing either would pass through waivers. Given Varitek's age and Theo's usual approach to the roster, even if we have to throw away two catchers with possible big league utility we won't be getting rid of two. So realistically speaking, it's between Kottaras and Bard.

So with that said, my preference is Kottaras. Bard is having a nice Spring, but he doesn't have Kottaras upside with the bat and he has had a very inconsistent career. Also Bard would be a switch hitter playing behind a switch hitter, meaning going with Bard means we lose a chance to end one of the great evils of mankind (you know, pestilence, war, famine, death, and Varitek batting lefthanded). With Kottaras behind Varitek, that'll eat up a lot of lefthanded at bats, especially if he hits. And it'll do it in a way that Tito can explain to Varitek without wounding his pride. With Bard you could do that, but you don't have that built-in excuse. In other words having Kottaras behind Varitek might make Varitek's numbers better. That's at least a tiebreaker if all else was equal. Personally I think it should be a major factor consideration. Goodness knows Varitek's gonna need help.

BSN07
03-16-2009, 05:06 PM
The main issue is whether or not Kott can catch Wake on a consistent basis. If you didn't have to worry about that, I would go Kott. If mainly out of curiosity to see what he can do in the bigs.

Dojji
03-16-2009, 05:09 PM
I think you have to ask the same question of Bard, and with much more reason. At least Kottaras handled Charlie ZInk pretty well last year. That makes him as close as we have right now to a safe pick in that regard.

example1
03-16-2009, 05:29 PM
I hate it that this question once again boils down to whether or not they can catch one particular slightly-better than average pitcher.

I suppose Kottaras is probably the better play, as if he has anything he can start proving it now or forever hold his peace. I think Bard is the better "now" bat, so if they are going to develop a catcher from within this year or next, it will be Kottaras.

That said, I don't think Kottaras or Bard are the catcher of the future for this club; they still need to find that guy. If they acknowledge that Kottaras isn't that guy then they can keep Bard up as his bat could be more helpful right away.

It should be an interesting decision.

ORS
03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
You know what will really make Varitek's numbers better? No Varitek. I vote to keep them both.

Dojji
03-16-2009, 05:56 PM
You know what will really make Varitek's numbers better? No Varitek. I vote to keep them both.

Sure, except that'd never happen. Varitek has a guaranteed contract for 2009 and the team isn't going to embarrass themselved by eating it without giving him some April at bats. By then one of Bard and Kot is gone.

ORS
03-16-2009, 05:59 PM
I agree, it won't happen, but it's what should happen given his ST looks exactly like his horrible year last year.

Coco's Disciples
03-16-2009, 07:05 PM
I agree, a Kottaras/Bard split would have been nice.

a700hitter
03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
It is possible that Varitek has fallen off the cliff. It happened just that fast with Rich Gedman, who had been a pretty good offensive catcher.

Dojji
03-16-2009, 09:02 PM
Gedman was overrated. His peak consisted of his age 24 to 26 seasons whereupon it looks like he just got exposed. He was also an on-base nightmare. His one really good season is also the only season in which he had more than 40 walks.

a700hitter
03-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Gedman was overrated. His peak consisted of his age 24 to 26 seasons whereupon it looks like he just got exposed. He was also an on-base nightmare. His one really good season is also the only season in which he had more than 40 walks.His dropoff was precipitous. After 1986, he looked like a blind man at the plate. He just had no chance. The point is that the end can come suddenly. The point was not to compare Gedman to Varitek.

BSN07
03-17-2009, 08:49 AM
It's honestly not surprising to see Tek struggling at the plate. He was never an elite hitter, just good. And considering his age and how much wear and tear is on his body, he's bound to lose bat speed. And when that happens at the ML level, your days as a hitter are numbered.

Also, I don't think the Red Sox brought him back for his bat. I think they where well aware he could be aiming for the Mendoza line this year.

For a comparison, look at Pudge. He was a much better bat then Tek ever was. But he's up around the same age and losing bat speed. And his numbers have shown it. Once a Catcher hits 35, you can't expect them to be able to produce the same anymore. Your best hope is they can stabilize their down turn in production, and hope it falls slowly instead of rapidly.

mvp 78
03-18-2009, 09:41 AM
As for Gedman, his problems started during the 86-87 offseason when he wasn't allowed to sign with the sox until May 1. He struggled to regain his form afterwards and then dealt with injuries off and on for the rest of his career. That offseason really put him behind the 8 ball (thanks owner collusion!).

rician blast
03-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Never speak Gedman's name around here.

BoSox21
03-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Once a Catcher hits 35, you can't expect them to be able to produce the same anymore. Your best hope is they can stabilize their down turn in production, and hope it falls slowly instead of rapidly.

Posada's best season came at age 35

BSN07
03-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Posada is an exception. And the presence of an exception establishes that a general rule exists

Besides look at him now.

riverside sluggers
03-18-2009, 10:58 AM
wow sox placing bard on unconditional release waivers. Its not like he was having a bad ST offensively, surprising to say the least. Oh well good to see what Kott can do in the bigs

Red Sox released catcher Josh Bard.
Bard entered camp as the favorite to back up Jason Varitek, but much like 2006 the Red Sox have decided to go in another direction. George Kottaras now appears likely to claim the No. 2 catcher job after having more success corralling Tim Wakefield's knuckleball, although Doug Mirabelli is always just a phone call away.

BSN07
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow that happened quick. I'll be looking froward to seeing what Kott can do.

Side not for further down the road, Wagner seems to be having a decent spring.

BoSox21
03-18-2009, 12:00 PM
meh, the difference between Kottaras and Bard is marginal anyway

rician blast
03-18-2009, 12:20 PM

(cough)...roids...(cough cough)...hgh....

Dojji
03-18-2009, 12:44 PM
Wow that happened quick. I'll be looking froward to seeing what Kott can do.

Side not for further down the road, Wagner seems to be having a decent spring.

Don't forget Dusty Brown, for that matter. Having a guy like Brown around was the big reason why I was surprised they bothered with Bard.

Hopefully this means Varitek bats lefthanded rather infrequently this year . Maybe that'll help his numbers.

Coco's Disciples
03-18-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm glad, I want to see what Kottaras can do.

WhiskeyBreath
03-18-2009, 02:50 PM
Hopefully this means Varitek bats lefthanded rather infrequently this year . Maybe that'll help his numbers.

I doubt it.

whitesox901
03-18-2009, 05:20 PM
Bard got cut today

walk_off
03-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Bard got cut today

Good....bring out the Kott

diony
03-18-2009, 09:47 PM
I'm glad, I want to see what Kottaras can do.

K

mvp 78
03-18-2009, 11:57 PM
I'm wondering if they only brought Bard in in case Tek didn't resign. Either way, I don't think there is that much of a difference between Bard and Kottaras.

schillingouttheks
03-19-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm wondering if they only brought Bard in in case Tek didn't resign. Either way, I don't think there is that much of a difference between Bard and Kottaras.

I would have preferred Kottaras and Bard instead of re-signing Varitek. Couldn't be much worse, if at all.

BoSox21
03-19-2009, 07:24 AM
Clearly they think highly of Tek's game-planning cause they sure as hell didn't think him back for his offensive output

soxfan17881
03-19-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm confused...

Bard was hitting something like .429, Kottaras .280. I watched that game the other night against the Yankees when Wake started and Kottaras looked like the last guy you'd expect to be catching Wake's knuckler - he had like thee passed balls in three innings.

It seems awfully quick to be getting rid of Bard.

jacksonianmarch
03-19-2009, 09:24 AM
This is gonna be great. I thought the Bard pickup was very shrewd and offered the sox the kind of backup that could theoretically platoon even playing time with Tek should he continue his offensive cliff dive. But now you have a lefty catcher who is marginal defensively at best who is going to try and hit at a big league level when he really hasnt proven much at a minor league level? I smell a mid season signing att he catcher position.

Dojji
03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
Because the Yankees' backup catcher is such an offensive dynamo.

You do realize right now that pending Posada regaining, with medical assistance, the ability to throw to second base without his arm falling off his shoulderl, your catching tandem is Jose Molina and Kevin Cash?

I don't know why I'm bothering trying to explain this to you but here goes:

Bad defensive catchers can improve. After all, Posada was a butcher behind the plate at one point wasn't he? Kottaras defensively is much like Posada was then. His issues are mechanical, not athletic. He's got a strong, but not particularly accurate arm, and he's had to relearn how to position himself and how to use his feet. According to Sox brass he's made some progress and is worth a look. So he got one.

Also, Kottaras has some stiff competition in order to keep that job. If he falters, Dusty Brown is almost certainly ready to be a backup catcher and Wagner's close, besides the myriad defense-only backstops you can usually find on the waiver wire.

diony
03-19-2009, 02:10 PM
Josh Bard is better than any catcher the Sox have right now and that's not too hard.

Tek and Kottaras? Jesus, they're both backup catchers at best.

Dojji
03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
So are all three of Posada, Molina and Cash at this stage of their respective careers, Posada for health reasons the others for performance..

At least Piazza knew when to come out from behind the plate.

BSN07
03-19-2009, 03:40 PM
According to ESPN's Peter Gammons:

The Red Sox say the backup/Tim Wakefield catching job has been won by George Kottaras, but they are still looking for another catcher. The Diamondbacks, who would like another starting pitcher, continue to insist on Michael Bowden for Miguel Montero, and Boston GM Theo Epstein still won't trade Bowden.

Montero, 25, hit .255/.330/.435 last year in 207 plate appearances as Chris Snyder's backup. He threw out 18.2% of attempted base-stealers. Meanwhile Bowden, 22, tossed 144.3 innings in the minors last year with a 2.62 ERA. Baseball America called him "a safe bet with a good chance to become a No.3 starter.

Doesn't look like Kottaras is a lock to stay with the team long term anyways.

Dojji
03-20-2009, 05:19 PM
I think he is. THe Dbacks are right not to ask for less than Bowden and Theo is right not to give them Bowden. This negotiation will go nowhere. Boston isn't desperate enough for a catcher to convince me otherwise.

riverside sluggers
03-20-2009, 05:45 PM
This is gonna be great. I thought the Bard pickup was very shrewd and offered the sox the kind of backup that could theoretically platoon even playing time with Tek should he continue his offensive cliff dive. But now you have a lefty catcher who is marginal defensively at best who is going to try and hit at a big league level when he really hasnt proven much at a minor league level? I smell a mid season signing att he catcher position.

You think Kott cant duplicate or even better Cash's 08 offensive stats?

Dipre
03-20-2009, 06:32 PM
Josh Bard is better than any catcher the Sox have right now and that's not too hard.

http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/o_rly_bush.jpg

Such objectivity is, as usual, to be expected from you, if only to provide my daily dose of lulz.

SCM33
03-27-2009, 11:11 PM

I thought this as well. Not only will Varitek hurt this team with his bat all year, hes also a year older defensively, and he also cost us Josh Bard, who at this point is a better option than Tek, and I really dont think its even close.

TheKilo
03-27-2009, 11:58 PM
That's not true, without Varitek the Red Sox's ERA will go up an entire run.

Curt Schilling told me so.

adam334581
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Kottaras

Coco's Disciples
04-12-2009, 03:40 PM
Yeah. Thanks.