PDA

View Full Version : Papelbon Says No to WBC

BoSox21
03-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Jonathan Papelbon has declined an invitation to pitch for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic.

"I don't think with me not locked into a long-term deal I'm not going to jeopardize my career to go play in a three-week tournament," said Papelbon. "A lot of guys aren't playing in the WBC because there's just no good time for it." That seems to be the opinion of most club officials.

I like the decision of him not to play but this guy is so money-driven, it's incredible

a700hitter
03-01-2009, 10:52 AM
I like the decision of him not to play but this guy is so money-driven, it's incredibleHe's the best at what he does, and that could end with a single pitch if his arm pops out of the socket. There is nothing wrong with him trying to maximize his earning potential. The Red Sox are his employer not his family. Why does it bother you that he treats his career like a business? What's more disturbing to me is that he implies that he would consider the risk of injury if he was locked into a long term deal. That's not good faith from a business standpoint.

JimEdHOF2009
03-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I wish all the Sox players followed Papelbon's lead.

Though I would much rather position players like Youks and Pedroia play, rather than pitchers.

BoSox21
03-01-2009, 11:01 AM
What's more disturbing to me is that he implies that he would consider the risk of injury if he was locked into a long term deal. That's not good faith from a business standpoint.

That's exactly what I was thinking. What's next? He'll refuse to pitch on three consecutive days cause it might hinder his long-term earning potential?

a700hitter
03-01-2009, 11:18 AM
That's exactly what I was thinking. What's next? He'll refuse to pitch on three consecutive days cause it might hinder his long-term earning potential?I agree with you. I don't like that. We pay him to pitch now. If he is asked to take the ball, he should take the ball. Last summer, I was pissed at what I perceived from Beckett to be more concern for his next contract than his 2008 performance. If you remember, after his pain was gone and after he had been cleared by the Red Sox medical staff after a clear MRI, he was reluctant to take the ball due to his long term career concerns. He gets paid $10 million a year to pitch now. If he is pain-free and medically cleared, he should take the ball. In the end, he manned up by taking the ball in the post season with an injured oblique, but I suspect that the oblique problem was the result of the negative impact that his voluntary shutdown (due to hypochondria) caused to his condition.

OldEnglandPatriot
03-03-2009, 12:37 PM
I don't see the point of him going to the WBC when the season opener is around a month away.

I think the organisers need to realise that the WBC should either be scrapped or moved to a better time of year; surely they can tell that clubs aren't going to want to release their players for a competition that means nothing to them so close to the opening day. It's just not worth the injury risk.

BoSox21
03-03-2009, 12:40 PM
That's the problem with the WBC, there is no better time of year.

Paradisecity
03-03-2009, 01:08 PM

How about the all star break (extended slightly, of course)? The all star game sucks anyway, and then we can have an international home run derby!

ORS
03-03-2009, 01:11 PM
How about the all star break (extended slightly, of course)? The all star game sucks anyway, and then we can have an international home run derby!
That will never happen.

26 to 6
03-03-2009, 01:25 PM
November!

Or the All Star break, I guess. It could work, but I like November better. If we were willing to put the season on hold in the middle of the summer for an international tourney, then we wouldn't have the WBC, and baseball would still be in the Olympics. As I've said numerous times, November is the best. Sure, it drastically shortens the offseason for the participating players, but those who don't play in the postseason get about a month to rejuvenate and rest before the Classic, it has more of a postseason/championship feel, if injuries occur they have the offseason to heal and it doesn't hurt the player's organization, among several other reasons you can come up with.

But with Papelbon backing out this is another huge blow to the Team USA bullpen, which was supposed to be considered one of their strengths. Between Nathan, Paps, Fuentes, etc. backing out they've resorted to the likes of Latroy Hawkins and Heath Bell to round out the bullpen.

Dojji
03-03-2009, 01:35 PM
September is a pretty good time of year. Minor league season over, teams and players know what they have left and where they are, a lot of players on noncontenders just marking time and collecting checks and team execs wanting a chance to see what that talented rookie behind their veteran can do.

ORS
03-03-2009, 01:41 PM
September?

You like to say stupid shit just for the reactions, don't you?

Dipre
03-03-2009, 01:43 PM
September?

Cut him some slack, let's assume he simply forgot the playoffs are in OCTOBER and that September holds the most important part of a PENNANT RACE, and that also, a WBC played with rooks and AAA fodder is BULLSHIT.

TheKilo
03-03-2009, 01:51 PM
September?

Dude, he's contributing and is a founding member of fanbase.com.

How dare you speak to him in that manner.

BoSox21
03-03-2009, 02:05 PM
There isn't a good time of year when teams want their pitchers putting even more wear on their arms.

Dojji
03-03-2009, 02:08 PM
September?

Umm no.

How many of the teams in MLB are actually involved in that pennant race and how many are just marking time until the end of the season? I'm not saying it's a good time for the Sox, but for at least 20 other teams it's probably as good as Fall Ball and Winter Ball seasons.

I could see teams and players playing in a September tournameny after their team is good and out of the race if they have something left in the tank, and I could also see even contending teams release their prospects if they have a crowded 40-man roster.

BoSox21
03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
its an event organized by MLB, why would they have the WBC directly compete with the pennant races?

26 to 6
03-03-2009, 02:22 PM
September is a pretty good time of year. Minor league season over, teams and players know what they have left and where they are, a lot of players on noncontenders just marking time and collecting checks and team execs wanting a chance to see what that talented rookie behind their veteran can do.
It's a really good thought, and could work if not for the pennant races. Players playing for contenders won't wanna play in the WBC, and understandably so.

Bottom line is there is no best time, there are conflicts with any time of the year that could be chosen. Pros and Cons for each. It's just a matter of assessing all those pro's and con's and see which time period's pros outweigh the cons.

BoSox21
03-03-2009, 02:24 PM
It's just a matter of assessing all those pro's and con's and see which time period's pros outweigh the cons.

And in the end, it's probably during the spring. Instead of training and getting in shape with their teams in Florida or Arizona, they do it in the WBC

ORS
03-03-2009, 02:33 PM
The WBC is intended to be like the World Cup of baseball. A huge every 4 year event that garners global attention to the game. If played in September, every time it's played some of the games biggest stars will be out because of the concurrent scheduling conflict and the pennant races. Particularly when the current system typically has high payroll teams (ie the biggest names in the sport) in the hunt every Sept.

This idea is so full of fail that I can't believe you threw it out there.

Dojji
03-03-2009, 02:48 PM
You're overselling the point, but whatever, it was a bad idea. I've been worshipping the porcelain god all day so think of that as the flu talking.

Whoever suggested November probably had a better idea, all that's competing with is the AFL. Until the World Series renamed itself though I don't think too many casual baseball fans are going to regard the WBC as more than a curiosity.

BoSox21
03-03-2009, 03:13 PM
It's not even about what it would be competing with in November, how many guys would wanna play a tournament after playing a 162+ game season?

Keeper
03-03-2009, 03:22 PM
November is definitely the best time to do it. And I actually wouldn't mind if the U.S. team was comprised of the top minor league prospects in the country. Give those guys a chance to shine.

Dojji
03-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Would put a new sparkle into fall ball wouldn't it?

Coco's Disciples
03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I agree with BoSox21; not many players are going to be up for a tournament after a 6-7 month season.

Southie Sox
03-10-2009, 02:43 PM
I wish they could figure out a way to make the WBC important. find a time of year everyone can participate and not be paranoid of injury. it'd be real fascinating to see all these countries on their A-game, sorta like the FIFA world cup.