PDA

View Full Version : Theo

rayres
02-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Here are some quotes from Theo on the Sox offseason and Yankees... fanzak.com/fzrants/Trick_Question_Theo_is_God

msubulldogs21
02-05-2009, 11:45 AM
Thank you for your insight.

TheKilo
02-05-2009, 11:54 AM
lol URLs are so tough

BoSox21
02-05-2009, 11:57 AM
I wish we'd make a rule like you have to have a certain number of posts before you're allowed to make a thread

BSN07
02-05-2009, 12:22 PM
I wish we'd make a rule like you have to have a certain number of posts before you're allowed to make a thread

Just like the one where you have to have so many posts to link a page?:lol:

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 12:37 PM
Fair enough for me....

BoSox21
02-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Seriously, everytime you see a useless thread created, its either a guy with less than 5 posts or Jacko

Jacoby_Ellsbury
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
This same guy posted the same shit on another (completely unrelated) site I frequent.

Seriously, everytime you see a useless thread created, its either a guy with less than 5 posts or Jacko

I don't know why but this made me laugh so hard.

Dojji
02-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Attempted thread salvage:

Our guy has had his contract extended, and it might be worth... something... to discuss how you thought he did in the first offseason of the new deal or how you felt about his offseason performance.

Me, I give him a C+ for this year (covered the basics, filled all the roster holes, really didn't dramatically boost what the team will be) which bleeds upward to a B- on the basis that I can sort of see where he's going and how he plans to use the farm to build for the future without as many big name FA's.

Coco's Disciples
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM

Or you have to have a certain amount of posts to post? I like that one.

TheKilo
02-05-2009, 03:50 PM
Attempted thread salvage:

Our guy has had his contract extended, and it might be worth... something... to discuss how you thought he did in the first offseason of the new deal or how you felt about his offseason performance.

Me, I give him a C+ for this year (covered the basics, filled all the roster holes, really didn't dramatically boost what the team will be) which bleeds upward to a B- on the basis that I can sort of see where he's going and how he plans to use the farm to build for the future without as many big name FA's.

Other than Teixeira, how could this have been accomplished?

Don't tell me Kenji Johjima, either.

BoSox21
02-05-2009, 03:54 PM
Considering the team made it to Game 7 of the ALCS with its fair share of injuries, why would Theo have had to go out and dramatically boost what the team will be? Especially considering the lunacy that is the big-name free agent market

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, I'd give it a B+ at the absolute lowest, most likely an A-. The only things I didn't like were signing Varitek at that price (I think he could have gone lower) and signing Mark Kotsay.

For the record, I had said that I didn't like the Kotsay signing long before news came around of his surgery. This just compounds it.

And although I do wish we had Teixeira, part of me is glad that we don't have to pay him, lose a draft pick, deal with the logjam etc...

Dojji
02-05-2009, 04:34 PM
Other than Teixeira, how could this have been accomplished?

Don't tell me Kenji Johjima, either.

OK.

If we don't win Teixeira, Plan B should have been Victor Martinez. Not only a solid veteran catcher but one with some 1B experience as well. Two birds, one stone. You could probably get him from Cleveland because they have Kelly Shoppach who's been proving his worth behind VMart. Bowden would have more than done it.

Quite seriously though, I can see why you don't do that either, and maybe Cleveland is more optimistic about their (small) chance next year than I am. That's why I give the grade a boost because of the way he's set us up long term not to need to go after big blockbusters to improve.

Dipre
02-05-2009, 05:23 PM
OK.

If we don't win Teixeira, Plan B should have been Victor Martinez. Not only a solid veteran catcher but one with some 1B experience as well. Two birds, one stone. You could probably get him from Cleveland because they have Kelly Shoppach who's been proving his worth behind VMart. Bowden would have more than done it.

Quite seriously though, I can see why you don't do that either, and maybe Cleveland is more optimistic about their (small) chance next year than I am. That's why I give the grade a boost because of the way he's set us up long term not to need to go after big blockbusters to improve.

You do know V-Mart can't play defense at either C or 1B, is a lot older than Salty/Teagarden/Clement but would cost about the same, maybe more.

Oh, and there's also Cleveland actually having interest in trading him, something none of us knows for sure.

diony
02-05-2009, 05:50 PM
I would give Theo a B+ this season if he had trade for a Catcher instead of resigning Tek.

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I would give Theo a B+ this season if he had trade for a Catcher instead of resigning Tek.

I give you an F for being a Yankee fan....woooo!!!!

Dojji
02-05-2009, 06:13 PM
You do know V-Mart can't play defense at either C or 1B, is a lot older than Salty/Teagarden/Clement but would cost about the same, maybe more.

Oh, and there's also Cleveland actually having interest in trading him, something none of us knows for sure.

VMart is not a disaster behind the plate, and actually was showing signs of improvement before his injury. In 2007 Martinez was markedly better than Varitek in several key areas, especially CS%, and he was tied with Joe Mauer for second in the American League in fielding Win Shares for a catcher.

As for why they'd give him up, the reason is pretty simple -- Kelly Shoppach has arrived, is, for now, cheaper, and has more defensive tools and significantly more power than VMart. I dunno if the Indians GM even seriously considered it, but it's the move to make IMHO for the Indians, especially if they can get a good SP out of it. They have a rotation right now of Carmona, Lee, nada, nada, and nada.

msubulldogs21
02-05-2009, 06:14 PM

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c214/msubulldogs21/flair.jpg

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
Yeah my bad dude...I was teaching these British students how to chug properly, and it took be about 5-6 pints in order to teach them how a real American chugs...but needless to say, I had better times than all of them. At least I made it back to my room before I eventually pass out. U-S-A!!!! U-S-A!!!

Dipre
02-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Brilliant.

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Indeed, props MSU.

Dipre
02-05-2009, 06:32 PM

We agree 100%, lol.

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 06:46 PM
Such a waste of a good avatar as well...

BoSox21
02-05-2009, 07:04 PM
VMart is not a disaster behind the plate, and actually was showing signs of improvement before his injury. In 2007 Martinez was markedly better than Varitek in several key areas, especially CS%, and he was tied with Joe Mauer for second in the American League in fielding Win Shares for a catcher.

As for why they'd give him up, the reason is pretty simple -- Kelly Shoppach has arrived, is, for now, cheaper, and has more defensive tools and significantly more power than VMart. I dunno if the Indians GM even seriously considered it, but it's the move to make IMHO for the Indians, especially if they can get a good SP out of it. They have a rotation right now of Carmona, Lee, nada, nada, and nada.

You can't say the FO failed cause they didn't get the guy you thought they should get. You could say they failed cause everyone knows they wanted Teixeira and they failed at that but they're the guys hired to run the team and if they didn't think Victor was worth what it would have taken to get him, then it isn't a failure on their part.

BSN07
02-05-2009, 07:38 PM

Or you have to have a certain amount of posts to post? I like that one.

:lol::lol:

italstallianion
02-05-2009, 07:41 PM
WOOOOOOO!!!!!

BoSox21
02-05-2009, 08:10 PM
the Nature Boy was great

TheKilo
02-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Theo gets a B from me. B+ if one of the lottery tickets pans out.

Dojji
02-06-2009, 10:00 AM
You can't say the FO failed cause they didn't get the guy you thought they should get. You could say they failed cause everyone knows they wanted Teixeira and they failed at that but they're the guys hired to run the team and if they didn't think Victor was worth what it would have taken to get him, then it isn't a failure on their part.

I didn't say he failed. A B- is a passing grade. I said he didn't dramatically improve the team which is true and is what it takes to get any more than that from me.

There's reasonas to argue that we don't need to dramatically improve or else will improve from the farm without a big name acquissition, I accept that, and that's why it's not a C or a D.

BSN07
02-06-2009, 11:02 AM
Theo gets a B from me. B+ if one of the lottery tickets pans out.

I can fall in line with that.