PDA

View Full Version : Is Boras really this delusional?

YanksHater213
11-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Mind me if this is posted somewhere else, but holy shit...

DANA POINT, Calif. - If the Red Sox [team stats] were entertaining thoughts that their efforts to re-sign free agent catcher Jason Varitek [stats] were going to be easy, they learned otherwise yesterday.

Agent Scott Boras told reporters that New York Yankees catcher Jorge Posada’s four-year, $52.4 million deal, which was agreed to last offseason, will serve as a benchmark for any team looking to land Varitek.

“It’s probably representative, age-wise,” Boras said, “and it’s also representative of what a player on a winning team (is worth). You’re not going to have many catchers who have the performance levels and a 60 percent winning percentage on a franchise and have won two world championships and caught four no-hitters. The idea of it is that there just aren’t many in the marketplace that can lead a club like Jason Varitek and that’s going to be his value.”

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?articleid=1130175&srvc=sports&position=0

4 years 52 million?!?!

redsoxrules
11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah ..he also said Manny deserves a 6 year deal with Arod type money

Coco's Disciples
11-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Yeah it's in the "Farewell" thread. Pretty ridiculous.

BoSox21
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
it's the first rule in negotiating, you overshoot what you want big time and eventually come down to about what you're expecting. there can't seriously be anyone willing to spend 4 years and $52 mil on Varitek

Dipre
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Boras has single-handedly blown up the FA market to the point where $200 Mil contracts are being discussed left and right, and if he manages to get that much for Varitek from some sucker (which i hope is not the Sox) i swear i'll stop watching Major League Baseball altogether.....

BoSox21
11-05-2008, 04:24 PM
Boras has single-handedly blown up the FA market to the point where $200 Mil contracts are being discussed left and right, and if he manages to get that much for Varitek from some sucker (which i hope is not the Sox) i swear i'll stop watching Major League Baseball altogether.....

You lie.

Dojji
11-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I'm sure that would destroy my world.

If Theo goes over 2/16 I'll be surprised.

BigPapiEnFuego
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Ban this prick from baseball. Goddamn

Paradisecity
11-05-2008, 04:56 PM
I wish Scott Boras would write my resume.

Dipre
11-05-2008, 05:43 PM
You lie.

It's an overstatement, lol, but he has had a major hand on it, he started it all with a certain contract for a certain player who can't hit in the playoffs.......

Thumper
11-05-2008, 08:20 PM
I can't say I'm not surprised that this would come from Boras.

First off I'd be surprised if Theo re-signs Tek at all.
Even more so, anything over $16 mil.

Coco's Disciples
11-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I can't say I'm not surprised that this would come from Boras.

First off I'd be surprised if Theo re-signs Tek at all.
Even more so, anything over $16 mil.

Those tricky double negatives.

ORS
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
He's not saying what you don't think he isn't.

schillingouttheks
11-05-2008, 08:30 PM

He shouldn't have used one there. He's saying that he is surprised.... right?

Coco's Disciples
11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
He shouldn't have used one there. He's saying that he is surprised.... right?

Based on context, I'd guess he's saying he's not surprised. As in he's not surprised that Boras is overselling his clients.

Thumper
11-05-2008, 08:35 PM

Damn them. I knew I was typing something wrong. But you are smart enough to know what I meant... that is Boras is a bag of dicks and then some.

Coco's Disciples
11-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Damn them. I knew I was typing something wrong. But you are smart enough to know what I meant... that is Boras is a bag of dicks and then some.

I figured it was something like that.

redsoxrules
11-05-2008, 09:05 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8761502/L.A.-offers-Manny-2nd-highest-salary-ever-in-MLB

TheKilo
11-05-2008, 09:11 PM

*Head explodes*

msubulldogs21
11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
So let me get this straight. 4 years ago he signed a deal for 4/40... and 4 years later (and 4 years older), Boras is wanting 12 million more than he got last time for a player who's fallen off the face of the planet? Sounds like a bargain!

Dipre
11-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Bucket of dicks might be more appropiate....

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-05-2008, 11:03 PM
Bucket of dicks might be more appropiate....
Dumpster of dicks. Alliteration FTW.

Like msu said, I'm curious why Varitek deserves more money than his previous contract when he's pretty much at end of the line, offensively.

Dipre
11-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Dumpster of dicks. Alliteration FTW.

Like msu said, I'm curious why Varitek deserves more money than his previous contract when he's pretty much at end of the line, offensively.

Nuclear dumpsite of dicks.....

And he probably thinks he can up the market by making bold (stupid?) statements like this one.......

Gom
11-05-2008, 11:50 PM
It amazes me that people still get shocked at what comes out of the mouth of Scott Boras.

ARod2212
11-06-2008, 12:59 AM
If he gets more than 1 year, $5 million, I'd be surprised.

jacksonianmarch
11-06-2008, 07:12 AM
Boras can squeak out 2 yrs from the sox. The Sox know that their best catching prospects are in A ball. Exposito is the highest ranked one and this really was his best yr, so we'll see. The sox are deep in a lot of positions, but catcher is not one of them

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 09:29 AM
how is he is a dick? his job is to get the most money he can for his client, that's why he has the most amount of high-profile players

he won't get 4 years and $52 mil for Varitek but he will get someone to overpay for him

hell, we should all be so good at our jobs

rician blast
11-06-2008, 10:18 AM

funny, i wasn't just thinking the same different thing.

YAZMAN
11-06-2008, 10:50 AM

You don't never know nothing.

Dipre
11-06-2008, 11:28 AM
how is he is a dick? his job is to get the most money he can for his client, that's why he has the most amount of high-profile players

he won't get 4 years and $52 mil for Varitek but he will get someone to overpay for him

Really?

Johnnie Cochran comes to mind.......

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Really?

Johnnie Cochran comes to mind.......

You're comparing a guy who helped a client get away with murder with a guy who helps clients get more money? Really?

Dipre
11-06-2008, 12:07 PM
You're comparing a guy who helped a client get away with murder with a guy who helps clients get more money? Really?

I mean it in the fact that they both excel (in Cochran's case, excelled) at what they do, but that doesn't mean that what they do is right......

I admit he's THE agent, but that doesn't make him any less of a prick.

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 01:01 PM
how is he a prick? I still dont understand that part

Gom
11-06-2008, 01:47 PM

Holy cow...we agree on something 100%.

I mean it in the fact that they both excel (in Cochran's case, excelled) at what they do, but that doesn't mean that what they do is right......

I admit he's THE agent, but that doesn't make him any less of a prick.
Why is it not right? THAT IS THEIR JOB.
What people fail to realize is that it is the player's choice to be represented by Boras. Everyone knows Boras's reputation in the game. He is all about the dollar. Some players value that more than winning, etc. That is their prerogative.

His job is to get the most money for his clients, period. He does it very well. Stop blaming the guy for a job well done. It was Cochran's job to secure a "not guilty" for OJ. It is the same with Boras. They shouldn't be villified [especially Boras, I can somewhat understand with OJ].

Boras, is at least, fair. I would have a problem with him if he played favorites or held grudges. Once a deal is done, it seems like all animosity that may have been there vanishes, and it's off to the next player.

Stop criticizing the guy for doing his job well.

Dipre
11-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Holy cow...we agree on something 100%.

Why is it not right? THAT IS THEIR JOB.
What people fail to realize is that it is the player's choice to be represented by Boras. Everyone knows Boras's reputation in the game. He is all about the dollar. Some players value that more than winning, etc. That is their prerogative.

His job is to get the most money for his clients, period. He does it very well. Stop blaming the guy for a job well done. It was Cochran's job to secure a "not guilty" for OJ. It is the same with Boras. They shouldn't be villified [especially Boras, I can somewhat understand with OJ].

Boras, is at least, fair. I would have a problem with him if he played favorites or held grudges. Once a deal is done, it seems like all animosity that may have been there vanishes, and it's off to the next player.

Stop criticizing the guy for doing his job well.

Well, that's your opinion and it has to be respected....

However, things like last year's A-Rod opt-out during the WS show complete disrespect for the game, thus my line of thinking that he's a prick, and if you don't think so, then that's fine, but there're a lot of good agents who get great deals for their clients w/o pulling some of the pranks Boras does, but that's just my humble opinion.

Crazy Rob
11-06-2008, 02:55 PM
All agents are total dicks but they have to be. what would you like the agent to say sir i believe i'm worth 60 million but if you offer 30 thats totally ok man. no you have to be assertive like boris like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0v98ugX_C0

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 03:41 PM
yea, I'll admit the stunt he pulled during the WS was a bit dick-ish but to call him a dick because of the way he does business is just wrong

TheKilo
11-06-2008, 03:43 PM
Can you not make the case that he hurts the competitive balance in the MLB through the ability of teams to sign his FAs and draft picks?

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
His job isn't to keep the competitive balance in MLB, his job is to get the players who hire him the most money he can.

If there is to be competitive balance in baseball, its up to MLB to find a way to implement a salary cap.

Dipre
11-06-2008, 03:51 PM
yea, I'll admit the stunt he pulled during the WS was a bit dick-ish but to call him a dick because of the way he does business is just wrong

But that's the way he conducts business........and that's what i'm trying to point out.

TheKilo
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
But if the way he does business is ultimately hurting the state of the game as a whole, how effective can it be?

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 04:08 PM
As far as Scott Boras is concerned, the state of the game is just fine. He keeps finding teams to give his clients massive contracts.

Like I said, MLB is responsible to trying to maintain competitive balance, they remain the only league out of the big four to not have a salary cap.

Boras is simply taking advantage of the economic system MLB chooses to use.

Gom
11-06-2008, 05:53 PM
They should have a slotted salary system for draft picks. That way, you're salary is predetermined at the draft.

Don't blame Boras. Blame Selig.

ORS
11-06-2008, 06:06 PM
Boras is good at what he does, so kudos to him there. However, he accomplishes that with what I consider to be severe breaches of ethics. I'm not excusing Manny because he went along with it, but I have high confidence that Boras orchestrated the fiasco. He couselled his client into threatening a breach of contract in order to get out of town 2 months early. Others will follow his lead, and the tactics he employs now will become the standard. His lack of ethics is what makes him a douche and bad for the game.

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 06:21 PM
a lot of people still argue his lack of ethics are why JD Drew is in Boston right now

jacksonianmarch
11-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Boras is good at what he does, so kudos to him there. However, he accomplishes that with what I consider to be severe breaches of ethics. I'm not excusing Manny because he went along with it, but I have high confidence that Boras orchestrated the fiasco. He couselled his client into threatening a breach of contract in order to get out of town 2 months early. Others will follow his lead, and the tactics he employs now will become the standard. His lack of ethics is what makes him a douche and bad for the game.

I agree. Thing is, unlike with Steinbrenner, nobody will make a statement against him since he gets everyone their money. The only guy who hates him as an agent was Sheff and thats mostly because sheff hates everyone.

Dipre
11-06-2008, 07:25 PM

Couldn't have said it better m'self.......

The fact is, he's a douche, no ifs or buts about it, and IMHO, he should've been punished for his stunt at last year's WS.

But that's just me.....

ORS
11-06-2008, 08:13 PM
a lot of people still argue his lack of ethics are why JD Drew is in Boston right now
Does that make it OK?

BoSox21
11-06-2008, 10:26 PM
Doesnt make it ok but at a certain point, the fucking players themselves need to take some accountability.

And people need to stop blaming Boras for the Manny fiasco, hes a 36 year old man. Boras may have said if he were to find a way to become a free agent, he could get him a much better deal but as far as he's concerned, if Manny walked into John Henry's office and said he doesn't want the FO to pick up the options, then mission accomplished. Manny pulled all that childish crap cause he's an cocksucking prick, not being his agent told him to shove a travelling secretary.

What he did at the WS was in poor taste but lets not act like he sat behind home plate and burned an American flag.

I'm not a Boras apologist but IMO, he shouldn't need to apologize for who he is, he's the most successful agent in all of sports right now and he has an amazing track record of being able to negotiate tremendous contracts for his clients.

Gom
11-06-2008, 11:21 PM

This....

...followed by this.

I am not saying you are hypocritical ORS, but a lot of fans are. You had a lot of Red Sox fans loving the Drew deal, but hating what he did with Manny.

The way to stop this is to make it so that a commission made on a new deal after a declined option should go to the original agent, with any overage going to the commission of the new agent.

That would stop this kind of shit cold.

Gom
11-06-2008, 11:32 PM

This....

...followed by this.

I am not saying you are hypocritical ORS, but a lot of fans are. You had a lot of Red Sox fans loving the Drew deal, but hating what he did with Manny.

The way to stop this is to make it so that a commission made on a new deal after a declined option should go to the original agent, with any overage going to the commission of the new agent.

That would stop this kind of shit cold.

TheKilo
11-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm confused though....Drew had the ability to opt out...it was in his contract. Manny was actually stilll under contract when he did what he did in June/July.

BoSox21
11-07-2008, 09:14 AM
I'm confused though....Drew had the ability to opt out...it was in his contract. Manny was actually stilll under contract when he did what he did in June/July.

right, but its been heavily implied that the Boras had an agreement in place with the Sox for more years and money before Drew opted out with the Dodgers, therefore while he was still under contract.

it seemed fishy cause there didn't seem to be any other suitors when Drew opted out yet the Sox still offered a lot of years at a lot more money

TheKilo
11-07-2008, 10:10 AM
OK, so are you saying he's unethical, or what?

BoSox21
11-07-2008, 10:16 AM
While nothing has been proven, yea I think he can be unethical but people here are calling him a prick cause he set the benchmark of Varitek's next contract at 4 years and $52 mil and I just don't agree with that

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Drew Rosenhaus is unethical (so I hear), but I haven't heard much complaining about him.

Dipre
11-07-2008, 11:09 AM
While nothing has been proven, yea I think he can be unethical but people here are calling him a prick cause he set the benchmark of Varitek's next contract at 4 years and $52 mil and I just don't agree with that

I don't think anyone's (me) calling Boras a prick because of his delusional idea that Varitek deserves 52/4, but just had the chance to call him a prick because of unethical, disrespectful things he's done in the past plus the outrageous statement of 'Tek's contract constitute a valid point towards calling him a prick.

If you don't think he is, that's your opinion, must be respected.

However, i think he's unethical, doesn't respect the sport, and is a driving force towards the disagreements created between the PA and the owners.

And don't cry "You lie", because everyone here is well informed of the stunt he pulled with
Alvarez, i don't see any other respected agent pulling that crap.

Therefore, he is a prick, and a prick of proportions only describable in a book of over a thousand pages.

But that's just my opinion, if you like him, then great, but i don't.

BoSox21
11-07-2008, 11:56 AM
So you would realistically stop watching baseball completely if the Dodgers or Tigers sign Varitek to 4 years at $52 million? Thats being ridiculous

Dipre
11-07-2008, 12:13 PM
So you would realistically stop watching baseball completely if the Dodgers or Tigers sign Varitek to 4 years at $52 million? Thats being ridiculous

Nah, it's an overstatement said because i don't think it'll ever happen, not even Ned Colleti will go that far....

Jacoby_Ellsbury
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Well to be fair, sports agents have to be unethical to be any good. They have to compete with each other for clients and ensure that they keep those clients by getting them the most money possible. Its a dirty business.

ORS
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Drew Rosenhaus is unethical (so I hear), but I haven't heard much complaining about him.
Yeah, but in his sport, with the guaranteed portion of contracts usually being less than half the total value, and it being the sport where the performers are at the greatest risk of career ending injury, I think his tactics are justified. The NFL owners brought whatever Rosenhaus and his ilk do upon themselves, and they still have the upper hand.

Mr Crunchy
11-11-2008, 03:55 PM
Based on the current mess in all industries,advertisement budgets are going to be slashed across the board from the car dealerships to the breweries to the airlines...That means less revenue for tv which means less revenue for mlb the nfl and the nba down the road..Attendence is going to fall as well. I was at the pats game sunday and there wasnt a single line for anything anywhere.A battle for 1st place was insanely quiet even with buffalo in the game till 10minutes were left..Baseball will face similar issues and I dont know many people who admit attending NBA games due to that product really eating it despite the Celts being on top of the world and rightly so....The days of wine and roses maybe coming to an end, everyone is broke or if theyre not broke they know someone who tailgates with them or splits season tix with them that are broke and next year is going to be worse...

TheKilo
11-26-2008, 09:24 AM
Boras:

"Jason Varitek intends on being a full-time player for many years to come. He's in great shape. His defense, his game-calling skills, his leadership skills are extraordinary and at the highest level...Jason wants to catch every day; he wants to play every day. He has a lot more left in his career."

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081125&content_id=3692402&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

BoSox21
11-26-2008, 09:30 AM
I love how he left out what many would say is the most important part, his offense

Dojji
11-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Yeah. It's looking more and more like Varitek's headed straight for another painful divorce.

Paradisecity
11-26-2008, 10:24 AM
That is great that Jason Varitek wants to play every day.

How many teams want to pay Jason Varitek to play every day for a few years?

That is the real question, I I believe Boras knows that the answer is...no-one

I think Boras knows that he's got nothing here.

I hope the teams collude to bring the prices down on these guys.

BSN07
11-26-2008, 10:31 AM
That is great that Jason Varitek wants to play every day.

How many teams want to pay Jason Varitek to play every day for a few years?

That is the real question, I I believe Boras knows that the answer is...no-one

I think Boras knows that he's got nothing here.

I hope the teams collude to bring the prices down on these guys.

Donald Fehr says hello.

Fehr successfully challenged the owners' collusion, leading to the owners paying $280 million in damages to the players.

Paradisecity
11-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Donald Fehr has lost a lot of power in recent years, particularly with the Mitchell investigation.

Let me rephrase. Donald Fehr has been staying out of the limelight and has not been flexing his muscles at all. It is unlikely that he will throw his weight around without obvious and egregious missteps that the world can see.

I just want them to keep it on the DL, thats all...

Dipre
11-26-2008, 03:16 PM
Lowering the price-tag on FA talent in baseball is virtually impossible, but it sure would be awesome.

Dojji
11-26-2008, 03:39 PM
Would never work of course. All you need is one midcap team that thinks it's a bigcap team that goes balls to the wall for some FA they like and the whole thing goes out the window.

Dipre
11-26-2008, 03:43 PM
"Jason Varitek wants to be a regular for many years"

I'm sure Boras laughs on the inside while spewing this bullshit.........

BoSox21
11-26-2008, 03:59 PM
"Jason Varitek wants to be a regular for many years"

I'm sure Boras laughs on the inside while spewing this bullshit.........

http://graysmatter.codivation.com/content/binary/george_costanza.jpg

It's not a lie, if you believe it...

Dipre
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM

Proper use of Mr. Costanza here, Touche.........

BSN07
11-26-2008, 04:33 PM

Absolute $ Bosox:thumbsup:

But everyone should know this is Boras's MO. He over hypes and calls for what seem to be outrageous contracts. Then ends up settling somewhere between what he wants, and what someone else offers. And it's usually closer to his end.

He knows how to use the desperation of clubs to his advantage. And when they aren't desperate, that's when he fabricates his mystery team. And then someone is dumb enough to fall for it.

Infact the only deal he didn't get close on was Dice-K's. It's because he ahs NO leverage. The only choice he had was let Dice-K sign the lower vaule deal that was offered, or watch Dice-K return to Japan.

Like I have said before, the only way to beat someone like Boras is not to deal with him. But if yo decide not to deal with him, someone else will and he knows it.