PDA

View Full Version : Alicea not brought back

Dojji
10-22-2008, 09:33 PM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081022&content_id=3637310&vkey=news_bos&fext=.jsp&c_id=bos

Everyone else will probably be back.

Hmm, opening at first base coach, I wonder if Cora's contemplating moving into his next career yet

TheKilo
10-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Or Varitek

I wonder if Farrell comes back though

msubulldogs21
10-22-2008, 09:47 PM
I wonder if Farrell comes back though

That didn't even cross my mind. Where would you expect him to leave for?

Dojji
10-22-2008, 09:51 PM
Detroit? Leyland's job is none too secure.

Coco's Disciples
10-22-2008, 10:48 PM
If I'm Detroit I keep Leyland. But I'm not.

mtbykr
10-23-2008, 12:07 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/10/alicea_surprise.html

Asked whether there was a problem that led to his dismissal, Alicea said, "If there was anything else, I don't have an answer. I had some goals when I arrived here and I think we were able to accomplish all of them."

Alicea, who was the infield coach and also coached the speed game, pointed to Kevin Youkilis becoming a Gold Glove first baseman after transitioning from third base and Dustin Pedroia becoming rookie of the year and possibly the Most Valuable Player. He said one of his goals for Pedroia this season was for the second baseman to steal more than 20 bases and that was accomplished.

Alicea, who said he had no problems with Francona, said he was told of the news by the manager at about noon today.

"He just told me they were going to make changes and I was one of the changes," said Alicea. "I've received about a hundred calls today and everyone's surprised. I'm surprised."

He expects to join another organization "in the next couple of days" but wouldn't reveal who he was talking to.

Dojji
10-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Alicea seems to be a quality coach. I'd like to hope a managerial option might open up for him at some point.

Soxprospects.com was speculating that Alicea might be brought back in another capacity. He certainly seemed to help our young middle infield.

soxfan17881
10-23-2008, 01:03 PM
The MLB article mentions Farrell as coming back.

As for the Cora thing, it did mention that the Red Sox would like a Spanish speaking coach to fill that vacancy, so...

BoSox21
10-23-2008, 01:15 PM
unless Alex Cora has come out and said he's willing to retire as a player to coach, I find it extremely disrespectful to the guy to speculate that he should become the new first base coach

riverside sluggers
10-23-2008, 01:17 PM
on weei, old buddy Dale Sveum seems to be a top candidate

BoSox21
10-23-2008, 01:20 PM
on weei, old buddy Dale Sveum seems to be a top candidate

oh christ...can you imagine the wall balls he'd try to stretch into a double? *shudder*

TheKilo
10-23-2008, 01:23 PM
Farell was offered a contract, he may not come back

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Farrell is gonna get a managerial job offer this yr.

TheKilo
10-23-2008, 02:03 PM
Farrell is gonna get a managerial job offer this yr.

He did last year too

Coco's Disciples
10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
oh christ...can you imagine the wall balls he'd try to stretch into a double? *shudder*

Isn't it more up to the hitter/runner, since he can see the field, while running from 2nd to 3rd he can't. I may have just made that up.

jacksonianmarch
10-23-2008, 02:19 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if the jobs are a bit better this time around. I would assume Milwaukee would make a run

Coco's Disciples
10-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Speaking of Milwaukee, they've already interviewed Ken Macha, Willie Randolph and are interviewing Bob Brenly soon.

Dojji
10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
Yeah, a playoff contender might be enough to lure Farrell away for sure. That'd suck.

BoSox21
10-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Milwaukee hired Macha today and didn't even consider Farrell.

Coco's Disciples
10-30-2008, 02:46 PM
From NESN studio to managing a playoff team! Congrats to Macha.

BoSox21
11-10-2008, 10:25 PM
Though Red Sox pitching John Farrell was expected to be interviewed for the vacant Seattle managerial job, he has declined that offer, according to baseball sources.

Farrell did the same last offseason when the Pirates were interested in speaking with him about a job that eventually went to John Russell, citing loyalty to an organization with which he'd been for only one season.

But that doesn't mean the Sox might not lose a member of their staff to the Pacific Northwest. Bench coach Brad Mills interviewed with the Mariners today, and third base coach DeMarlo Hale is scheduled for his interview on Thursday.

The Sox appeared to be bringing back most of their staff -- with the exception of first base coach Luis Alicea, who was let go by the organization -- but could need to fill a hole in the coming weeks.

Update, 9:34 p.m.: The Red Sox have just sent out a statement from Farrell confirming that he has taken himself out of the running to be the new Seattle manager.

“I have withdrawn my name for consideration by the Seattle Mariners as they search for a new manager," Farrell said in the statement. I wish them well as they move forward. My decision is based on family reasons and being committed to the Red Sox Organization. The working relationship shared with Theo and Tito and the resources provided by John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino create a situation that is both challenging and rewarding.”

Extra Bases

Looks like Farrell is staying for sure

riverside sluggers
11-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Yess! Love hearing that

TheKilo
11-11-2008, 09:17 AM
All it tells us is Farrell doesn't want to manage in Seattle.

Shock.

BoSox21
11-11-2008, 09:33 AM
All it tells us is Farrell doesn't want to manage in Seattle.

Shock.

“I have withdrawn my name for consideration by the Seattle Mariners as they search for a new manager," Farrell said in the statement. I wish them well as they move forward. My decision is based on family reasons and being committed to the Red Sox Organization. The working relationship shared with Theo and Tito and the resources provided by John Henry, Tom Werner, and Larry Lucchino create a situation that is both challenging and rewarding.”

That tells me he doesn't want to move his family and he wants to stay with the Sox. It can be argued that he'd reconsider if there was an awesome job out there but there really isn't.

Dojji
11-11-2008, 09:44 AM
If the Yankees fail to make the postseason next year, a job will be open that anyone should take.

caiside
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Re: Farell was offered a contract, he may not come back

Farrell declines Mariners interview
by Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff November 10, 2008

Though Red Sox pitching John Farrell was expected to be interviewed for the vacant Seattle managerial job, he has declined that offer, according to baseball sources.

Farrell did the same last offseason when the Pirates were interested in speaking with him about a job that eventually went to John Russell, citing loyalty to an organization with which he'd been for only one season.

But that doesn't mean the Sox might not lose a member of their staff to the Pacific Northwest. Bench coach Brad Mills interviewed with the Mariners today, and third base coach DeMarlo Hale is scheduled for his interview on Thursday.

The Sox appeared to be bringing back most of their staff -- with the exception of first base coach Luis Alicea, who was let go by the organization -- but could need to fill a hole in the coming weeks.

Paradisecity
11-11-2008, 03:12 PM
ummmm....ok.

BoSox21
11-11-2008, 03:14 PM
Farrell declines Mariners interview
by Amalie Benjamin, Globe Staff November 10, 2008

Welcome to TalkSox.....read the rest of the thread first next time

riverside sluggers
11-15-2008, 05:12 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvDs87wNJSUmrllMZUp8cBURvLYF?slug=ap-mets-alicea&prov=ap&type=lgns

Luis Alica will be the Mets 1st base coach

Dipre
11-15-2008, 04:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AvDs87wNJSUmrllMZUp8cBURvLYF?slug=ap-mets-alicea&prov=ap&type=lgns

Luis Alica will be the Mets 1st base coach

Good luck to him, then.