PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating stuff in this article

Paradisecity
10-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Red Sox banking on history repeating itself

BOSTON -- Yes, the Red Sox have been in this situation before.

Last year, they trailed Cleveland 3-1 in the ALCS before winning the final three games and then sweeping the World Series. In 2004, they trailed 3-0 before staging the comeback that will never be forgotten (in part because Boston fans will never stop talking about it).

And if you can go back to 1986, the Red Sox trailed the Angels 3-1 before Dave Henderson entered New England folklore.

But as your broker really should have pointed out more strenuously, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

"That experience, I guess, can give you kind of a feel for what you're supposed to do," Coco Crisp said of last October's comeback. "And, I guess, at the same time, it was last year. We're not playing Cleveland now. This is a much different team we're playing."

So, too, are the Red Sox a different team. David Ortiz wore a telling black T-shirt after Boston's 13-4 Game 4 spanking. In the same style of the "Got Milk?'' advertisements, the shirt asked: "Got Manny?" Boston most certainly does not got Manny this October, and while Kevin Youkilis and Jason Bay have hit well, his absence is as conspicuous from the lineup as it is from the clubhouse.

In other words, no one was saying, "If we lose the next game, who cares -- it's not the end of the world" as Manny did before the Sox rallied against Cleveland in last year's ALCS. Instead, Ortiz was telling reporters: Hey, don't blame me for everything. A bunch of my teammates have sucked, too.

"The problem is that everyone is focusing on Papi not hitting, and to tell you the truth, both of the series, with Anaheim and now with the Rays, Papi doesn't come to hit with men on base all the time," Ortiz said. "I may come to hit four or five times the whole series with men on. That's not going to change the game when they have a lead of nine, 10 runs, whatever it is. What we have to focus on right now is stopping their offense and make things happen like in the first game."

Actually, Ortiz has batted seven times with runners on base this series and has failed to drive in any of them. He also was hitless in his previous 14 postseason at-bats before he broke the string with a meaningless triple in the seventh inning. But his point was well-taken, even if it was a slight slap at his teammates. Ortiz is struggling big-time -- he isn't denying anymore that his wrist is bothering him -- but the Red Sox are losing for a lot of other reasons as well.

Aside from Daisuke Matsuzaka's Game 1 performance, the starting pitching has been atrocious. Josh Beckett allowed eight runs in Game 2, Jon Lester allowed five runs in Game 3 and Tim Wakefield, pitching on 16 days' rest, allowed five runs on three massive home runs in less than three innings in Game 4.

The Red Sox found themselves trailing 5-1 after three innings and 11-1 after six.
That kind of pitching would be difficult to overcome even if the Red Sox were hitting, which they aren't. Manager Terry Francona subbed Crisp for the hitless Jacoby Ellsbury and batted J.D. Drew at the top of the order, but it didn't do any good. Neither player had a hit -- Boston leadoff hitters are 0-for-19 this series -- and Crisp also grounded into an inning-ending double play in the second when the game was still relatively close.

Boston rallied against Cleveland, but unlike last year, when Games 6 and 7 were at Fenway, the Red Sox will have to win two games in St. Petersburg, where the Rays had the best home record in baseball and have won nine of their 11 games with Boston this season.

Ortiz said after Game 1 that when he looked in the Rays' eyes he could see they were feeling the pressure of the stakes. But the Rays aren't the ones who are bug-eyed now.

"This thing is a surprise," Ortiz said. "Everyone is raking in their lineup. You watch the game and everybody is pretty much locked in. I've been in a lot of playoffs and you don't see that too often. You might see three or four guys, tops, but everybody there is hitting. It's crazy."

Asked whether he was healthy, Ortiz said unconvincingly, "I'm all right. I'm dealing with my hands and stuff. But I'm in a situation where I don't want to put too many things in my head."

Thanks to baseball's insane postseason scheduling, Boston gets a needed day off Wednesday to rest Ortiz and its tired bullpen. It also gives the Sox a chance to recover from having their heads beaten in the past two games. They will send Dice-K to the mound and hope he can begin another comeback.

Asked what last year taught him about their current situation, reliever Mike Timlin replied, "Take tomorrow off and come back the next day -- and come back firing. These things aren't just handed to you; you have to earn them. This is where you earn your reputation.

"History repeats itself -- that's what I've heard. So we'll go with that."

WTF???

Gom
10-15-2008, 10:45 AM
What you guys are learning is that yesterday has nothing to do with today and tomorrow. We learned that in 2004. You guys are learning that this year.

If you had Manny, and he was hitting the way he was with the Dodgers, you'd be tied in this series. What's funny is that Manny is doing just fine without Ortiz. Manny in pinstripes baby!

ORS
10-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Gom, that's a load of thoughtless BS. The only game marginal improvement would have helped is game 2. Bay and Youkilis, his positional and lineup spot replacements, hammered the ball in that game and were not the problem. Keep fishing.

BoSox21
10-15-2008, 12:35 PM
If you had Manny, and he was hitting the way he was with the Dodgers, you'd be tied in this series. What's funny is that Manny is doing just fine without Ortiz. Manny in pinstripes baby!

so if Manny was still in Boston, we wouldn't have allowed 31 runs in 3 games? idiot

rician blast
10-15-2008, 12:48 PM
so if Manny was still in Boston, we wouldn't have allowed 31 runs in 3 games? idiot

i guess so...perhaps his 'D' has been overlooked? bwahahahahaha!

anyone still spewing manny shit just doesn't get why he ain't here nor understand that the FO knew they were losing valuable offense but did what they had to do...either that or they're just stirring the pot.

TheKilo
10-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Ortiz needs to STFU

rician blast
10-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Numerous players had a chance to win game 2 for the Sox. They didn't need Manny to do it, they needed one clutch hit from someone...anyone. Someone needed to step up, and no one did late in the game with RISP. The TEAM lost that game, not Manny's replacement.

BoSox21
10-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Numerous players had a chance to win game 2 for the Sox. They didn't need Manny to do it, they needed one clutch hit from someone...anyone. Someone needed to step up, and no one did late in the game with RISP. The TEAM lost that game, not Manny's replacement.

Francona lost that game, with an assist to Beckett. If Tito was as quick with the hook in game 2 as he was with Wakefield last night, we would've won

Paradisecity
10-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Ortiz needs to STFU

I agree.

The Ortiz/Lowell diminished time with Youk splitting 1st 3rd and Tex splitting 1st DH for a year seems like a pretty good (but unlikely) situation...

rician blast
10-15-2008, 01:59 PM
Francona lost that game, with an assist to Beckett. If Tito was as quick with the hook in game 2 as he was with Wakefield last night, we would've won

Maybe, but respectfully, I disagree with saying Francona lost the game.

- In the inning when Pedroia scored on the WP, the Sox had 2 on, no outs, and Youk hit into a DP. The Sox were lucky to get a run on the WP, but could have had more that inning.

- in the 9th Crisp doubled with 2 down, Ellsbury K's with go ahead run in scoring position.

- in the 11th Lowrie and Drew walk, 2 on, one out...Kotsay K's, Crisp grounds out, no runs across.

- in the 11th, Drew can't make a throw from shallow RF and winning run scores.

Tito was looking to get through the 5th with Beckett. The Sox were up 1-0 in the series, there's a lot of ball left to play and he wants to preserve the BP. It didn't work out, but isn't there risk either way? If he brings someone in an inning earlier and they struggle, now they're rifling through the BP and if the game gets away you you've got the worst case...a loss AND a beat up BP.

As it turns out the the Sox ended up in a position to win that game despite Beckett's performance. They needed a hit...one clutch hit...and they didn't get it, and walked out of TB 1-1 in the series with no serious damage to the BP and with their hottest pitcher set to pitch.

The TEAM lost game 2, Tito may not have won it but he certainly did not lose it by himself.

Mr Crunchy
10-15-2008, 02:06 PM
jd drew may have made the worst throw in baseball history that night.
180 foot texas leaguers shouldnt be tagged up on.
maybe jd drews shoulder hurts from getting drilled by balfour the other night??

Coco's Disciples
10-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Ortiz needs to STFU

Concur'd. He's not helping anything pulling that kind of shit.

TheKilo
10-15-2008, 02:32 PM
There was on off day after Game 2, so saying Francona did what he did to save his bullpen doesn;t really hold weight.

MDC or Byrd should have started the inning. What's worse is he compounded the mistake by burning Lopez in the 5th and then doing the same to Masterson in the 9th.

If you're going to use Papelbon on Pena, do it by starting Papelbon in the 9th. That way he can pitch 9 and 10, and you have Masterson for 11, 12, 13 if needed.