PDA

View Full Version : Lowell off ALDS roster

jacksonianmarch
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM
per rotoworld

The Red Sox have removed Mike Lowell (hip) from the ALDS roster and replaced him with Gil Velazquez.

So, Lowell was healthy enough to start and be a significant liability in last night's loss and now he's unhealthy enough to be removed from the roster in favor of a guy who has no real business being in the majors and who wasn't even called up until Sept. 25. If the Red Sox end up losing the ALDS, the decision to play Lowell in Game 3 will be one they regret for a long time. Lowell will now be ineligible to play until the World Series. Oct. 6 - 7:36 pm et

The rule is that if a player is replaced mid round, they are ineligible the following round. So if the sox were to make it to the ALCS, Lowell will not be available.

Coco's Disciples
10-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Yep.

ORS
10-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Good, they don't have to waste outs faking the funk like he can play right now. Love ya, Mike. Get better, and all that shit. But I only want the healthy version of you on the series roster.

a700hitter
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Looking ahead, hips can be very problematic. I wonder if his contract has been insured, and if so, what would the Sox have to do to invoke the insurance. Texeira would look good in a Red Sox uniform.

jacksonianmarch
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
I looked at the numbers and if you use Giambi's contract as a starting point, Tex is gonna cost a shit load. 7 yrs 120 mil. Tex is 3 yrs younger than Giambi was. He's a switch hitter. And he's a gold glove 1b. Plus, that contract was given out in 2001, which would naturally assume some inflation. Boras is gonna ask for an ARod deal. He's likely get a deal a bit more than the 8yr 160 mil Sori got.

BoSox21
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
seriously, no Bailey? I get the pinch-running option of Velazquez maybe but cmon...

Coco's Disciples
10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Youk, Casey and Kotsay can all play 1B.

TheKilo
10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Bailey or Carter should have been the choice, IMO

Coco's Disciples
10-06-2008, 10:43 PM
We can change it for the ALCS, right?

Dojji
10-06-2008, 10:44 PM
Yes we can.

ORS
10-07-2008, 10:10 AM
Pretty sure if you lose a player to injury and remove him from the roster in one round, he's not eligible for the roster in the next round. So, for the ALCS, Lowell's out. He'll be eligible for the WS if he's healthy.

BoSox21
10-07-2008, 10:11 AM

im thinking more along the lines of Bailey being a PH

dowling25
10-07-2008, 10:24 AM
Sad that he cannot play. But good for the team. He wasn't helping but hurting the Sox chances.

Dojji
10-07-2008, 11:41 AM

But Youk is the only RHH in that group, and the only hitter for power. If you don't bring in Bailey, then the only ways to compensate for Lowell's absence is to bring in the lefthanded, light-hitting Cora, the lefthanded, light-hitting Kotsay or the lefthanded, light-hitting Casey. We need a replacement of the righthanded power Lowell can't provide us. JMHO, that's Bailey..

jacksonianmarch
10-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Pretty sure if you lose a player to injury and remove him from the roster in one round, he's not eligible for the roster in the next round. So, for the ALCS, Lowell's out. He'll be eligible for the WS if he's healthy.

the only way he's healthy is if he's had the surgery and about 4 months of rehab

ORS
10-07-2008, 12:25 PM
I agree, Dojji. Bailey should get the call for the ALCS. With Lowell gone and Papi hitting the way he is, added pop is what's needed. He should get the starts at 1B. He should also be removed by the 7th if we have a lead for Kotsay as the defensive replacement. I loved the range on display in foul territory late in the game last night.

ORS
10-07-2008, 12:31 PM
the only way he's healthy is if he's had the surgery and about 4 months of rehab
Drop the voodoo doll and pins.

No, seriously, I'm well aware that he's unlikely to come back. I was merely indicating when he could in terms of eligibility. I will say this, for someone who has examined him, you seem very cavalier about HIPAA.

Dojji
10-07-2008, 01:12 PM
DOn't be an @$$, it's all over the media.

BTW, by the sound of the NESN broadcast, it sounds like it was Lowell who took himself off the roster for the good of the team. If so, good for him.

Thumper
10-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Lowell should have been on the DL for the rest of the season and not have been on the postseason roster, if anything for his own sake. Youkilis at 3rd and Casey/Kotsay at first would have faired us well.

BoSox21
10-07-2008, 01:46 PM
Lowell should have been on the DL for the rest of the season and not have been on the postseason roster, if anything for his own sake. Youkilis at 3rd and Casey/Kotsay at first would have faired us well.

Would you have said the same thing about Schilling had he gotten lit up in '04?

ORS
10-07-2008, 02:07 PM
DOn't be an @$$, it's all over the media.
You are new here, so I'll let this pass. My only word of advice is pay close attention to the Baseball Doc's musings about Sox injuries. Then, about a year from now, I'll ask you again if you think he deserves needling for his armchair medical opinion.

Mr Crunchy
10-07-2008, 02:33 PM
lowell couldnt move up down left or right
that said
since dr stranglelove started posting with us the redsox have been the creme of baseball and the yankees have been on the business end of our success.
i like the guy because he has balls but he sees life thru pinstriped glasses and i assume when you're close enuff to hear him mumble hes mumbling things like ""dave roberts was out and tony clarks ball wasnt really in the stands and come on,kevin brown can beat derek lowe and we can beat anaheim""..

some one has his 05 predictions for randy johnson pavano and jarret wright saved.
he had those guys winning over 70 games.

VA Sox Fan
10-14-2008, 04:01 PM
Lowell to have surgery Monday

Posted by Adam Kilgore, Globe Staff October 14, 2008 04:57 PM

Third baseman Mike Lowell will have surgery on his damanged right hip Monday, which obviously ends his season, manager Terry Francona said. The surgery will be performed by Bryan Kelly.

More from Francona on this, the lineup, boos for Jason Varitek, and a few other topics to come.

jacksonianmarch
10-14-2008, 04:12 PM
You are new here, so I'll let this pass. My only word of advice is pay close attention to the Baseball Doc's musings about Sox injuries. Then, about a year from now, I'll ask you again if you think he deserves needling for his armchair medical opinion.

right on this one

ORS
10-14-2008, 05:23 PM
right on this one
Irrelevant, you'll always be right when the injury is worst case scenario, because that's the one you always pick.....for the Sox.

jacksonianmarch
10-14-2008, 08:11 PM
3 for 3 this season with Papi, Schilling and Lowell.