View Full Version : October 5th @ Anaheim: Alds Game 1

element1151
10-03-2004, 10:11 PM
ALDS Game #1: Boston Red Sox @ Anaheim Angels
Date: October 5th 2004
First Pitch: 4:00 PM, Angel Stadium, Anaheim
TV: ESPN
Series: Tied, 0-0

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/bos.gif >>> (98-64) >>> http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/gameday/mugshots/121811.jpg Schilling 21-6, 3.26 ERA
@
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/mlb/images/team_logos/50x50/ana.gif >>> (92-70) >>> http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/images/gameday/mugshots/132220.jpg Washburn 11-8, 4.64 ERA

Early, but i know no one is talking Sox vs. O's! It's Playoff time!

ACL BoSox
10-04-2004, 01:04 AM
We've beat up Washburn before, and we can do it again. Let's just pray everything goes well for the Sox on Tuesday. The Sox are way overdue for a World Series Championship.

YanksHater213
10-04-2004, 03:34 AM
If we lose this game, I will be very surprised. I expect nothing but a win

yeszir
10-04-2004, 02:37 PM
I'd be really scared about the rest of the series if the sox don't win this game. Curt has been our ace, and he needs to pitch like it. He's great under pressure, so I expect him to pitch well.

schillingouttheks
10-04-2004, 07:15 PM
however we have struggled this season in anaheim, when we bring it back home we shouild be able to get 2 wins.

yankeessuck013
10-04-2004, 07:58 PM
we need to at least take 1 out of 2 at anaheim then we're golden when we come back to fenway! :thumbsup: :shrug:

mosox
10-05-2004, 10:33 AM
Those old playoff jitters are back. Curt is going to mow them down. I want to see the Sox hit early and often, break into the Angels bullpen and put them in a hole.
I can't wait. GO SOX!!!

elsrbueno
10-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I've got a ton of confidence in Schilling. He'll give a great effort tonight.

It's up to the offense to give him a lead, and the bullpen to hold that lead (assuming the offense gives it to him).

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 01:27 PM
ARRRGGHHHH. THIS HAS TO BE THE LONGEST DAY IN HISTORY. Stupid time, with it's stupid minutes and stupid hours... :rolleyes:.

I was hungry for lunch but couldn't really eat anything because of the butterflies. I went to work, but couldn't really concentrate. I think I'm going to wreck on the way home. :blink:

Giddyup giddyup 4:09! :ph34r:

elsrbueno
10-05-2004, 01:36 PM
I have to agree with RedSoxRooter here. The anticipation is enough to make a person go crazy! At least I was able to eat lunch....

The Red Sox announced their official roster.

Catchers: Jason Varitek and Doug Mirabelli.

Infielders: David Ortiz, Kevin Millar, Doug Mientkiewicz, Mark Bellhorn, Pokey Reese, Orlando Cabrera, Bill Mueller and Youkilis.

Outfielders: Manny Ramirez, Johnny Damon, Dave Roberts, Trot Nixon and Gabe Kapler.

Pitchers: Curt Schilling, Pedro Martinez, Derek Lowe, Bronson Arroyo, Tim Wakefield, Keith Foulke, Mike Timlin, Alan Embree, Mike Myers and Leskanic.

Notes: Leskanic edges out Williamson and Mendoza.
Youkilis claims the 15th positional player spot.

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 01:51 PM
I agree with the roster, though I'm convinced that Lowe will be of no help unless there's a blowout. I'd have given his spot to Mendoza in a 5 game series. They're both sinkerballers.

elsrbueno
10-05-2004, 01:57 PM
I certainly understand your perspective, RedSoxRooter, considering Lowe did very little to help himself (and this team) down the stretch....

I just hope he makes up for it in October...

yeszir
10-05-2004, 03:52 PM
This game is gonna be tight, you can tell it in the 3rd. Hopefully Schilling keeps them scoreless.

Noah
10-05-2004, 04:14 PM
3-0! Millar homers with Manny Ortez on!

Noah
10-05-2004, 04:21 PM
NYMfansDOTcom: jesus def. came thru
amartin7889: not really it was an error
NYMfansDOTcom: still
NYMfansDOTcom: it proves that HE is christ
amartin7889: lol
NYMfansDOTcom: christ is HELPING THE SOX!

Noah
10-05-2004, 04:25 PM
MANNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yagmaster
10-05-2004, 04:28 PM
What a great game so far! 8-0 Sox! If this is the best pitching Anaheim can offer, I wouldn't be so scared of them.

BTW, isn't it great to have a New Yorker, albeit a Mets fan, rooting for the Sox ;)

yeszir
10-05-2004, 04:28 PM
This game has now been blown wide open. :D

keithfoulke29
10-05-2004, 04:42 PM
yeah its awesome :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

noonanberg
10-05-2004, 04:52 PM
8-1 if we blow this...

Assuming we win we should be golden. Seriously, I don't think Pedro will have another bad outing, he's overdue for a win and Colon for a loss. Manny is a beast.

I hope Francona doesn't overuse Curt. He should prob only pitch 5 innings, and definitely not more than six. Give Lowe a lil work, maybe squeeze in Embree and Leskanic as well.

C'Mon Sockies let's go.

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Schill goes 7 - it sends a message.

noonanberg
10-05-2004, 05:37 PM
No leave him in a little longer retard. Francona is truly a f***in idiot. Not only does he now let Anaheim get some momentum (if not for today, tomorrow) but he may have, or at least came close, to getting Schilling injured. GOOD JOB TITO.

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 06:01 PM
Blow the bullpen on an 8-3 game? Perspective, my friend... Save the pen for Pedro.

yeszir
10-05-2004, 06:23 PM
I completely foget now, did Timlin strike out the side? He looked utterly dominant. I'm getting good vibes about our bullpen. :D

yagmaster
10-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Remember, he was great last year too during the playoffs.

keithfoulke29
10-05-2004, 06:27 PM
Francona isnt an idiot, hes just trying to save the bullpen.

yeszir
10-05-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by yagmaster@Oct 5 2004, 07:26 PM
Remember, he was great last year too during the playoffs.
I know, I'm saying this in a period of good reminsence.

And also, was it Tito's call for Minky to bunt? That was a great play, and props to whoever's bright idea it was.

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 06:47 PM
I was finally able to take a shit after the win. I feel SO much better. Anybody else gonna stay up and watch Santana tonight?

RedSox24
10-05-2004, 06:53 PM
I am..got to root against those fuckheads. Hahaha. Giamabi...Francona is an idiot..we might need curt again in this series...he could have used guys one inning. save the bullpen--an inning or two for a couple of guys isnt blowing the bullpen .The guy just hasnt a clue what to do or when to do it. Luckily our team is awesome. Ted William's headless bidy could be propped up in the dugout and odo as good if not better than tony.

but I lovethis team, and this win was awesome... manny is really looking goosd. Even when he smashed it back into thye pitcher.

How about Gabe trying to throw Benji out at first. We are so fucking good.

Come on Pedro--bhring the A game.

yeszir
10-05-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Oct 5 2004, 07:47 PM
I was finally able to take a shit after the win. I feel SO much better. Anybody else gonna stay up and watch Santana tonight?
I planned on watching
http://www.democraticunderground.com/bob/02/55_cheney.jpg
and
http://www.ospolitics.org/blog/images/edwards.jpg

anway, so why not watch the yankees lose. :thumbsup:

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 06:58 PM
Win - Win situation, huh? :D

yeszir
10-05-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Oct 5 2004, 07:58 PM
Win - Win situation, huh? :D
I dont get it :(

RedSoxRooter
10-05-2004, 07:14 PM
What joke? It should be an interesting debate and a good game. 'Win-Win'. Though hopefully both broadcasts are one sided.

yeszir
10-05-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Oct 5 2004, 08:14 PM
What joke? It should be an interesting debate and a good game. 'Win-Win'. Though hopefully both broadcasts are one sided.
Oh. Well, I didnt get it anyway, whether it was a joke or not. And I dont really plan on watching the VP debates, Cheney is too much of a nutjob for me.

noonanberg
10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Thank you RedSox24. Tito easily could have pitched Embree in the seventh, Timlin eighth and Leskanic ninth. Giving the bullpen each an inning isn't gonna kill them. And like you said, we'd need Schilling more in a game five than we are going to need to save the 'pen for a game. That's what D- Lowe is for.

element1151
10-05-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by RedSoxRooter@Oct 5 2004, 04:47 PM
Santana was dominant tonight, good win for the Twins.

element1151
10-05-2004, 10:30 PM
I'll have the next gameday up at 5PM ET, if that is OK.

elsrbueno
10-06-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by yagmaster@Oct 5 2004, 05:28 PM
What a great game so far! 8-0 Sox! If this is the best pitching Anaheim can offer, I wouldn't be so scared of them.

BTW, isn't it great to have a New Yorker, albeit a Mets fan, rooting for the Sox ;)
I HAVE to respond to this post.

Washburn is NOT the best starter Anaheim's going to throw at us. Remember, 5 days ago they were TIED with Oakland, so they had to use their top 2 guys (Colon and Escobar) to get them INTO the playoffs, and were prepared to throw Washburn on Sunday.

In fact, Washburn is their #3 starter (IMHO).

Which is why I'm not terribly excited about last night's lopsided victory. Schilling vs Washburn.... we were SUPPOSED to win. If we hadn't, I'd be seriously dissapointed.

That being said, the Sox played a great game all around. Let's hope this gives them momentum for the series.

Isn't it amazing how Orlando Cabrera makes most Sox fans forget all about Nomar?!? He walked twice last night, and got a hit, and played GREAT defense.

ACL BoSox
10-06-2004, 10:58 AM
Pedro does have the capacity to be number one, he just hasn't shown it in about a month. He does seem to rise to the occassion when hes not facing the yankees though.

elsrbueno
10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by ACL BoSox@Oct 6 2004, 11:58 AM
Pedro does have the capacity to be number one, he just hasn't shown it in about a month. He does seem to rise to the occassion when hes not facing the yankees though.
I have to disagree with this statement.

I think a lot of people are making a big deal out of nothing with Pedro's start against the Yankees. Let's not forget he had a 4-3 lead going into the 8th inning, and against the Yankees, I'd take Pedro giving up 3 runs every time. They've got a great offensive team, and we should beat them more than half the time if they only score 3 runs.

Pedro gave the lead up in the end, but he was over 100 pitches, and historically, SUCKS at that point in the game. Terry should have taken him out.

I stand by my theory that Pedro's start against the Yankees was a good, quality start. He shouldn't have been pitching in the 8th inning at all! If he'd come out, regardless of the outcome, we'd have known that Pedro gave us a chance to win in a very important game against a key rival, and that's all you can ask of your ace pitcher, because nobody's perfect. Hell, Schilling gave up 3 runs YESTERDAY but because the Sox scored 9 to back him up nobody's jumping all over him.

He had a couple rough outings sandwiching that game at Fenway Park (including one against the Yankees), but I expect nothing short of a good outing from Pedro Martinez.

Nobody's perfect. Pedro's slumped a bit near the end, but doesn't everyone go through slumps? Why is everyone so quick to turn on the man who CARRIED this pitching staff for 6 years?!?

sarasoxfan
10-06-2004, 11:27 AM
nomar who? I think his name was his fathers spelled backwards, think he should have gone by the name--resol.

skinny little guy, compulsive disorder yeah I remember him, didnt say much as I recall.

had 1 rbi last october, popped out a lot...

yeah, he married some female athlete I think...

Orlandooooooooooooooooooo!

some dazzling plays, makes it look so smoooth...
nice pick by millar too, on one opf those...

ahhchon
10-06-2004, 11:37 AM
i'm pretty sick of all the nomar bashing. yeah, i'm not nomars biggest fan but i do appreciate the years he gave us. he was great against cleveland from what i remember. (brings back memory of good ole trot too!, and manny, and pedro, and colon). anyways, back on topic.

easy on nomar everyone. yeah, he was offered a boatload of money and turned it down. but it was the sox management that bent him over and humiliated him in front of the nation. seriously, they screwed up bigtime. he's just a gut that is very very headstrong and had way too much pride to resign with the sox.

theo made a great decision and we came out winners in the trade. there is no need to bash the man that gave us so many great years. it's not like he left, we traded him. don't get me wrong, i'm not saying that he wouldn't have left, but in the end we DID trade him and that is that.

it's time to forget nomah and move on.

john

elsrbueno
10-06-2004, 11:41 AM
it's easy for things to change topics drastically, huh?

I didn't think I was bashing Nomar at all. If it was taken that way... I apologize. I was just saying it's a lot easier to forget about him and move on with Orlando Cabrera in his place.

Garciaparra's only mistake was getting greedy. Otherwise, he was a class act and a great player for Boston.

sarasoxfan
10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
i was bashing nomar, and agree that i was worng, and should move on.

That said I love Orlando, and he has more than lived up to the task of replacing N++++.

some slick fielding and timely hitting. Love the guy.

SoxFan13
10-06-2004, 01:28 PM
What a great game yesterday! Even though it was not Shilling at his best (although he was still better than most other pitcher!), the team came through and did what it does best, SCORE RUNS! One run that no one is talking about because it was the 9th run is Mientkiewicz's squeeze bunt will 2 out to score Johnny D. The Angels were stunned because it was so not the Sox style. It took the wind out of their sails after the momentum along with the crowd shifted after scoring 2 runs the inning before. Agree??

ahhchon
10-06-2004, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by elsrbueno@Oct 6 2004, 11:41 AM
I didn't think I was bashing Nomar at all. If it was taken that way... I apologize.
i wasn't talking about you bruno, it just happened that i posted after you. i was talking about sara. it's settled and cool now. nomar got greedy, who doesn't? we all do. i hate the bandwagon nomar haters.

john