PDA

View Full Version : Mccarty the pitcher

yeszir
04-09-2004, 05:20 PM
Whether or not this is a permanent thing, here are my thoughs on Mccarty being a pitcher:

I'm not entirely sure if its that great of an idea. He only throws mid 80's (his fastball registered 86 tops I believe), and, although he has been working on it, does not work out as a pitcher in my mind. Maybe using him in emergency, extra-innings games makes sense, but not during a regulation game, like was done today. I'd prefer to see him swing the bat at 1b or DH, as he showed he could do very well over the spring.

Gertie
04-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Well, I think he just pitched today becuase the bullpen was burned out from last night, and they were down by 5 anyhow. I agree, though, that he should only be used in emergencies, and hit the rest of the time.

yeszir
04-09-2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Gertie@Apr 9 2004, 06:47 PM
Well, I think he just pitched today becuase the bullpen was burned out from last night, and they were down by 5 anyhow. I agree, though, that he should only be used in emergencies, and hit the rest of the time.
They were down by 3 when he was first put in, quite an overcomeable defecit. 5, not so much so.

Gertie
04-09-2004, 05:50 PM
Meh. Well, now we've all had a look at his pitching. That'll probably help Tito decide whether he'll keep letting him pitch.

Sinix
04-09-2004, 07:49 PM
Who would you have put in instead? He was the only logical option, as the bullpen was exhausted from the previous night. At that point, it was pretty evident that we were going to need to score some runs to get back in the game, which didn't happen even after he was put in. On WEEI they correctly assesed the situation - "he is taking one for the team."

yeszir
04-09-2004, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by Sinix@Apr 9 2004, 08:49 PM
Who would you have put in instead? He was the only logical option, as the bullpen was exhausted from the previous night. At that point, it was pretty evident that we were going to need to score some runs to get back in the game, which didn't happen even after he was put in. On WEEI they correctly assesed the situation - "he is taking one for the team."
I'm not just speaking for that one situation, I was more referring to the season as a whole, and whether or not he should really be used as a reliever in the future.

Sinix
04-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Oh yeah, I agree McCarty shouldn't be pitching...but in a situation like that, he is a good option for an emergency pitcher.

roary
04-09-2004, 10:42 PM
Mccarty should be used solely for emergency situations. This one was a borderline emergency situation, because, as was already said, tje entire team was beat and the bullpen sorely needed rest.

yagmaster
04-09-2004, 11:17 PM
I was mildly impressed by McCarty actually. He did get hammered, and he didn't throw harder than 86 mph, but I was expecting him to to throw 65 mph with no control. He might have given up some runs, and I don't think he should go in close games, but it was better than I thought it would when I saw that he was coming in.

TheFens
04-10-2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by yagmaster@Apr 9 2004, 11:17 PM
I was mildly impressed by McCarty actually. He did get hammered, and he didn't throw harder than 86 mph, but I was expecting him to to throw 65 mph with no control. He might have given up some runs, and I don't think he should go in close games, but it was better than I thought it would when I saw that he was coming in.
You were surprised you mean, not impressed. 86 mph is not impressive, no matter who throws it (excepting Tim Wakefield, if he could throw 86 consistently he would be even better!). It wasn't even really surprising though, since he had thrown in spring training, and we all knew that he was experimenting as a pitcher. You dont entertain thoughts of pitching to big leaguers unless you can actually do it.