PDA

View Full Version : Should the Sox sign Bonds?

Thumper
08-22-2008, 07:41 PM
A lot of the discussion of it going on in tonight's gamethread. So I thought I'd make a seperate thread here just for it.

Do you think the Sox FO should sign Barry Bonds?

Why or why not?

I'll add my one cent later.

CrespoBlows
08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
Depends on how severe Drew's injury is.

If Drew can't play near 100% in October, than I think the answer to this question is obvious. I'd rather win a WS championship with a jackass, then watch it from home.

example1
08-22-2008, 07:43 PM
A lot of the discussion of it going on in tonight's gamethread. So I thought I'd make a seperate thread here just for it.

Do you think the Sox FO should sign Barry Bonds?

Why or why not?

I'll add my one cent later.

No. Any production he gives you is morally tainted and questionable. He's best out of the game and I don't want the Sox to be the ones to bring him back.

Coco's Disciples
08-22-2008, 07:45 PM
No. Any production he gives you is morally tainted and questionable. He's best out of the game and I don't want the Sox to be the ones to bring him back.

But it's still production, right? I say yes, but I agree with CB, if Drew can play, then no real need.

CrespoBlows
08-22-2008, 07:46 PM

Morally tainted and questionable? The guy shot steroids into his ass eight years ago, so did 50% of Major League Baseball.

When did Bonds become a murder suspect?

Thumper
08-22-2008, 07:53 PM
When did Bonds become a murder suspect?

Maybe when O.J. said he didn't do it?

No anyway you prove some good points. While Bonds IS an egotistical son of a whore, the fact is he wasn't the only one on steroids, and probably won't be the last. I'm sure however, with the Mitchell Report and all the talk this year about steroids, I don't think he'll take risk doing it again (fucking sweet Tek just homered).

I wouldn't MIND seeing him in a Boston uniform... but my only fear would be how everyone would react to it, such as the media and players a like. Would he fit into the clubhouse chemistry? (Yes I believie in it). Or will his giant ego of a head be too much and piss people off?

Then again, as long as he hits for the fences, would it even matter?

CrespoBlows
08-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I wouldn't MIND seeing him in a Boston uniform... but my only fear would be how everyone would react to it, such as the media and players a like. Would he fit into the clubhouse chemistry? (Yes I believie in it). Or will his giant ego of a head be too much and piss people off?

I would expect the Red Sox players to act professionally toward Bonds. If they were to flip the fuck out, because Bonds was on the roster (I'm looking at Curt Schilling) then it isn't Bonds with the problem.

Another thing I just thought about. Curt Schilling is not playing for the Red Sox, so that further dilutes the possiblity of chemistry disruption.

Then again, as long as he hits for the fences, would it even matter?

Teams can hate each other and still play good baseball. I don't think anyone would pull a Manny Ramirez and quit on the team, because of Bonds.

redsoxrules
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I'd rather win a WS championship with a jackass, then watch it from home.

Well said !

Thumper
08-22-2008, 08:06 PM
I would expect the Red Sox players to act professionally toward Bonds. If they were to flip the fuck out, because Bonds was on the roster (I'm looking at Curt Schilling) then it isn't Bonds with the problem.

Another thing I just thought about. Curt Schilling is not playing for the Red Sox, so that further dilutes the possiblity of chemistry disruption.

Teams can hate each other and still play good baseball. I don't think anyone would pull a Manny Ramirez and quit on the team, because of Bonds.

Hah didn't even think about Schilling.

I bet if Bonds gets signed Schilling won't come back. Which I suppose would be a good thing, and Schilling can go finish his career in Arizona with Randy Johnson.

Don't know about the fans though. I think Fenway will be producing a lot of boo's. Atleast when Bonds comes up to bat. Even if he makes good.

redsoxrules
08-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Don't know about the fans though. I think Fenway will be producing a lot of boo's. Atleast when Bonds comes up to bat. Even if he makes good.

actually I think there would be alot of cheers,especially when he starts to hit HR and get on base at a 500 clip

Coco's Disciples
08-22-2008, 08:11 PM
actually I think there would be alot of cheers,especially when he starts to hit HR and get on base at a 500 clip

Yep. Winning produces good chemistry, Bonds produces winning.

Gom
08-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Bonds will not sign with anyone. You really think the owners/GMs didn't get together and say no? Any team that signs him will not be able to do a thing with any other team. My opinion anyways.

jacksonianmarch
08-22-2008, 08:15 PM
And now, you'd have to have Bonds get into game shape and get his bat speed up in 6 weeks. Even if he signs, he wont be the Bonds you'd expect.

CrespoBlows
08-22-2008, 08:21 PM

Do you remember when he homered against the Red Sox in 2007? I was surprised to see a good percent of Red Sox fan stand up and cheer him.

Coco's Disciples
08-22-2008, 08:23 PM
If he plays well, he will be loved.

a700hitter
08-22-2008, 08:57 PM
The team needs some bench depth.

jmcc
08-22-2008, 09:26 PM
For some reason, it makes me feel weird. Yea, a lot of people did steroids. But when you mention steroids, you think of Bonds or maybe Canseco first. He creates an inherently negative atmosphere that I wouldn't want associated with the team I root for. Whatever production he might bring, and who knows if he'd even bring any, wouldn't in my mind balance the negativity and the circus that his signing would bring to Boston.

BSN07
08-23-2008, 06:16 AM
They just got rid of the Manny circus, why bring another one to town? Although Barry isn't the only player to have used, he is the one with the biggest target on his back. I wouldn't want to be the first team to sign him. There comes alot of baggage when you aquire someone with his history, theres going to be heavy backlash from all directions.

I don't see Barry wanting to play in Boston, but if it's his only chance then I would suppose he would come to town.

Also him being out of the game all season, joining a new league, I'm not sure how much he could contribute at this point anyway, so i'm not sure the reward is big enough for the risk.

This team needs more then just a bat of the bench before they are going to contend for anything this year. They just won it all last year, maybe take a step back this year, use what they have and see where it gets them, and wherever that may be be happy with it, and re-up for next season.

Although some may not agree, signing Bonds at this point is taboo, it's something a desperate team will do, and having won 2 series in the last few seasons, I don't see the Sox as desperate.

das11209
08-23-2008, 07:59 AM
Get Bonds. We will need him in the strech run with all the injuries.

a700hitter
08-23-2008, 10:09 AM
They just got rid of the Manny circus, why bring another one to town? I have always liked the circus. Plus, it will divert the attention of the Press from the other players.

This team needs more then just a bat of the bench before they are going to contend for anything this year. They just won it all last year, maybe take a step back this year, use what they have and see where it gets them, and wherever that may be be happy with it, and re-up for next season.I really hope that our FO doesn't think that this approach would be acceptable to the fans. We have a talented team with some aging stars that could go all the way if they get some reinforcements. You must be young. I waited 37 years for a championship. They are rare occurrences. When you have the opportunity to win, you want management to go for it. Bonds would not merely be a reinforcement. He would be a powerhouse dropped right into the middle of the line up.

Although some may not agree, signing Bonds at this point is taboo, it's something a desperate team will do, and having won 2 series in the last few seasons, I don't see the Sox as desperate.It would be a bold move, not a desperate one.

riverside sluggers
08-23-2008, 10:38 AM
I have always liked the circus. Plus, it will divert the attention of the Press from the other players.

Yea and so does the front office... no wait thats what they tried to rid themselves of since 2003

CrespoBlows
08-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Yea and so does the front office... no wait thats what they tried to rid themselves of since 2003

Who?

a700hitter
08-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Yea and so does the front office... no wait thats what they tried to rid themselves of since 2003We had a circus?

Coco's Disciples
08-23-2008, 12:52 PM
Hell, even "25 guys 25 cabs" won 93 games in 2002.

TheKilo
08-24-2008, 12:43 PM
Bonds will take at least a month to get into game shape, that ship has sailed.

Youk Of The Nation
08-24-2008, 05:33 PM
As I pointed out before...the Sox went to great lengths to trade Manny because he was goldbricking and his lack of production coupled with the media distraction was hurting the team.

What do you think the distraction of the biggest and most infamous 'star' in the sport would do?

Soxfan#1
08-24-2008, 05:40 PM
I don't know. People weren't very positive about Moss before he showed what he'd actually be like. If this time off has made Bonds a better man then he's certainly worth the risk.

schillingouttheks
08-24-2008, 05:44 PM
As I pointed out before...the Sox went to great lengths to trade Manny because he was goldbricking and his lack of production coupled with the media distraction was hurting the team.

What do you think the distraction of the biggest and most infamous 'star' in the sport would do?

I think what was hurting the team most was Manny's lack of effort and just being a douche bag in general. If Bonds was given another chance, I damn well believe that he wouldn't be dogging it. Besides, he'd sign for 350K at this point.

Youk Of The Nation
08-24-2008, 05:47 PM
He could act like DAvid Ortiz in the clubhouse but that wouldn't negate the constant media frenzy surrounding him or the still-looming spectre of steroids that he brings.

Im not saying that it's right, but its what will happen. The focus will be on his past to the media, not his present.

BSN07
08-25-2008, 10:01 AM
I have always liked the circus. Plus, it will divert the attention of the Press from the other players.
I really hope that our FO doesn't think that this approach would be acceptable to the fans. We have a talented team with some aging stars that could go all the way if they get some reinforcements. You must be young. I waited 37 years for a championship. They are rare occurrences. When you have the opportunity to win, you want management to go for it. Bonds would not merely be a reinforcement. He would be a powerhouse dropped right into the middle of the line up.
It would be a bold move, not a desperate one.

Yes I am, but I am not a fan that expects my favorite team to win every season, I would like them too but to think that is kind of foolish, this isn't playstation, winning it all is not easy. Teams have off years. If the Sox win every couple years, then I have no problem with an off year. Would you have taken that before 2004? Waiting all that time, a team that wins every couple years with an off year in between somewhere, sounds pretty damn good.

Yes the Team does have aging stars, but they also have a FO and ownership that has shown they will go out and spend money. When Papi is gone, it's not like the Sox will never have another top player.

If the Yankees where considering this move, most Sox fans would be killing them for itand calling it a last ditch effort of a desperate team. Don't kid yourself, Bonds hasn't played in alomost a year, he would be changing leagues, I know he had a decent year last year, but as it was said previously, this ship has sailed. If the Sox make this move, they are grasping at straws. But the Sox have the final say, all I can do is give my opinion.

Gom
08-25-2008, 10:27 AM
Bonds has been blackballed by baseball. End of story folks.

a700hitter
08-25-2008, 04:03 PM
Bonds has been blackballed by baseball. End of story folks.Collusion?

CrespoBlows
08-25-2008, 05:50 PM
Yes I am, but I am not a fan that expects my favorite team to win every season, I would like them too but to think that is kind of foolish, this isn't playstation, winning it all is not easy. Teams have off years. If the Sox win every couple years, then I have no problem with an off year. Would you have taken that before 2004? Waiting all that time, a team that wins every couple years with an off year in between somewhere, sounds pretty damn good.

This isn't like the team is trying to rebuild this year. They're on the cusp of another championship run. Adding Bonds for 350K has little risk. He could totally shit the bed, but his upside is out of this world. We add a bat like this, to our already potent lineup, we're the instant championship favorites.

Yes the Team does have aging stars, but they also have a FO and ownership that has shown they will go out and spend money. When Papi is gone, it's not like the Sox will never have another top player.

Do you have the ability to compare? Adding Barry Bonds to a five year deal would be stupid, but he's only with the Red Sox until October. There is close to no risk.

If the Yankees where considering this move, most Sox fans would be killing them for itand calling it a last ditch effort of a desperate team. Don't kid yourself, Bonds hasn't played in alomost a year, he would be changing leagues, I know he had a decent year last year, but as it was said previously, this ship has sailed. If the Sox make this move, they are grasping at straws. But the Sox have the final say, all I can do is give my opinion.

They are grasping at straws? They're adding the BEST HITTER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME (save for Ruth)

Coco's Disciples
08-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Kilo's right though, it's almost September, it's not going to happen.

yankee20715
08-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Bonds has been blackballed by baseball. End of story folks.

Shut the fuck up you would blow a load on your small ass 51" tv to the picture of Bonds in pinstripes.

Than you would lick said load off of the tv screen everytime it touched someone other than bonds.

P.S. I voted yes because that is the only way I could possibly hate bonds more than I already do.

Thumper
08-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Shut the fuck up you would blow a load on your small ass 51" tv to the picture of Bonds in pinstripes.

Than you would lick said load off of the tv screen everytime it touched someone other than bonds.

P.S. I voted yes because that is the only way I could possibly hate bonds more than I already do.

Oooooookay sick fantasies aside...

As much as I would dislike Bonds in a Red Sox uniform, if he were to be in shape, and hitting well... I don't see how he really could hurt the line up.

BSN07
08-26-2008, 06:20 AM
This isn't like the team is trying to rebuild this year. They're on the cusp of another championship run. Adding Bonds for 350K has little risk. He could totally shit the bed, but his upside is out of this world. We add a bat like this, to our already potent lineup, we're the instant championship favorites.

Do you have the ability to compare? Adding Barry Bonds to a five year deal would be stupid, but he's only with the Red Sox until October. There is close to no risk.

They are grasping at straws? They're adding the BEST HITTER IN THE HISTORY OF THE GAME (save for Ruth)

By this logic, the Sox might as well sign Clemens too for the stretch run...

If the Sox have to rest their hopes of another Championship run on the shoulders of a malcontent such as Barry Bonds, then I can't see them making it past LAA or TB. The Sox lineup isn't too bad as it is right now, if anything they need pitching help.

Besides if Beckett isn't around and someone doesn't step up big in the BP for the stretch run, this team has very little hope of going anywhere deep into the playoffs.

Please don't take this as a sign of me giving up on my team. It's not. When your not right there in the middle of it all, it's easier to step back and seperate some of the emotion and look at it threw clearer eyes. If some of you had this oppurtunity, you would see trying to bring in Bonds is a very desperate move, theres a reason no one has signed him, and the Sox being the creme of the crop at the moment in the league, do not and should not make this move.

I understand why some want this. You think it could propel the Sox to another Championship, I see it as a black mark on the resume of an organization that has done spectacular things since they have been in place.

The Sox got rid of Manny while producing because of the Distraction he was. Why would you bring in someone thats going to be that big of a negative distraction? Tito finally sleeps better at night and you want to throw Bonds at him? Have mercy on the poor guy:lol:

I guess what i'm saying is you have to not look at this threw fans eyes. This FO has shown they will do what they want, even if the FANS don't agree. Thats why there FO people and not sitting in the stands. I think the FO might have kicked around the idea, but I believe they know that Barry doesn't put them past LAA or TB, and he will probably cause more grief then anything.

This is my opinion tho, and everyone is welcome to theres, if they sign him its not like I won't be a Sox fan anymore or anything like that.

jacksonianmarch
08-26-2008, 07:23 AM
The Bonds idea has come and gone. We arent talking about a 25 yr old in peak physical condition who is working out day in and day out for a comeback. We are talking about a 45 yr old who can barely move and requires DH duties because of his gimpy knees. The move makes no sense for the sox, none.

schillingouttheks
08-26-2008, 10:18 AM
By this logic, the Sox might as well sign Clemens too for the stretch run...

Don't laugh. I saw him shopping for a bunch of household shit on Friday up here in Dedham. Then my friend saw him eating dinner at Abe & Louie's. I wonder what the fuck he's doing up here, lol.

Considering he has no reason to be up here... though I do think he's up here for reasons other than the Sox. :lol: I just found it funny you should mention Clemens.

Mr Crunchy
08-26-2008, 11:32 AM
bonds hits baseballs
he hasnt been in peak physical condition in 10 yrs
with the lefty bats or lack there of in our lineup i dont see how this is a heavy risk