PDA

View Full Version : Sign These Free Agents?

Sox Fan
08-19-2008, 02:53 PM
STATS as of 8-18-08
1B
• Kevin Millar
• Avg .247
• HR 18
• RBI 65
• Runs 66
• SB –
I would Sign Millar just because of his History with the Sox. He deserves to end his career in a Sox Uniform.

2B
• Mark Loretta
• Avg .274
• HR 4
• RBI 34
• Runs 23
• SB -
Loretta can help any team. Can Play any Infield Position. Him and Cora off the bench would be dirty. I would do my best to Trade Lugo for 4th outfielder/ Bullpen/Catcher. He is a Bum.

RF
• Vladimir Guerrero
• Avg .287
• HR 22
• RBI 74
• Runs 70
• SB 4
Sign Guerrero put him in Right. Trade COCO and Drew . I honestly think we shoudl trade Drew while his stock is up. Like we should have done with Clement. With an Outfield of Bay Guerrero Ellsbury it would be awesome. In the Trades Coco for Bullpen/Catcher Trade Drew for 4th outfielder/Bullpen/Catcher

There is only 4 starters I would offer a deal to. I would sign derek lowe but for bullpen depth. He throws 2-3 strong innings a game than he is done. Than there is Ryan Dempster Ben Sheets or CC Sabathia. If we were to Trade Lugo Drew and Coco we could use the money we save from them and Manny to Sign Guerrero and CC. But if CC ends up in Pinestripes. We should choose between Sheets and Dempster both Quality Pitchers. I see the Cubs Resigning Dempster so that leaves us with Sheets.
SP
• Ryan Dempster
• W-L 14-5
• ERA 2.92
• K 149
• Walks 64
• WHIP 1.16

• Derek Lowe
• W-L 9-10
• ERA 3.99
• K 113
• Walks 35
• WHIP 1.23

• CC Sabathia
• W-L 14-8
• ERA 2.99
• K 192
• Walks 49
• WHIP 1.16

• Ben Sheets
• W-L 11-6
• ERA 3.00
• K 133
• Walks 37
• WHIP 1.15

BoSox21
08-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Millar: I don't mind him but I'd try and re-sign Casey although I think he'd wanna go somewhere where he'd get more ABs.

Loretta: I don't see how we'll get rid of Lugo meaning he'll be the utility in-fielder next year leaving no room for Loretta.

Guerrero: LA has a team option on him which I think they'll be happy to excercise.

Dempster: See Vlady.

Lowe: FO won't want anything to do with him and someone will overpay for him.

Sabathia/Sheets: Obviously any Sox fan would want these guys but keep in mind Beckett is in line for a massive raise after next year.

The Dustball
08-19-2008, 03:11 PM
No to everyone except Sabathia/Sheets.
As Bosox already said, there is no chance you get Guerrero or Dempter due to the team options and Millar and Loretta are way past their prime. Lowe is just a headcase. I don't want to see any of them in a Sox uniform.

Welcome to the board by the way!

BoSox21
08-19-2008, 03:17 PM
Sabathia/Sheets are interesting options though cause all the positional players are pretty much set as is for '09 (with the possible exception of catcher) so then you take the Manny/Schilling (and maybe Lugo) money to make a serious run at one of the two Brewers

imagine an '09 rotation of:
Beckett
Sabathia/Sheets
Lester
Dice-K
Buchholz/Wakefield

jacksonianmarch
08-19-2008, 04:47 PM
Sabathia is getting 20+ mil a yr from someone. I have a feeling that the sox may try and negotiate with Beckett before they set a team precedent for what Beckett should exceed.

Thumper
08-19-2008, 05:05 PM
I'll take Vlad if the Angels don't sign him. But most likely they will.

Wouldn't want Millar unless we traded Lowell and moved Youk to 3rd. Casey deserves more ABs somewhere else.

Sabathia/Sheets, yes please.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-19-2008, 05:36 PM
I'd prefer Sheets to Sabathia.

Youk Of The Nation
08-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Oh yeah, lets sign Millar!

Oh wait, we got rid of him because he sucked.

Mr Crunchy
08-20-2008, 10:44 AM
kevin millar??stop it,i had a 3 day party after he left town
loretta wouldve been prudent 2 years ago but they annointed pedroia the gig and let loretta walk
i think hed like to be somewhere else
will we sign an elite pitcher like sabbathia or sheets to a long term deal with all the young arms we still have?
becks lester dice buckholz bowden paps delcarmen and masterson are all under 30
becks lester dice and paps are allstars or will be allstars
do we need a 125M contract wrapped around or necks for 7 years to grab one of these guys?
i dont see it happening

riverside sluggers
08-20-2008, 11:00 AM
The Yankees will hand off blank checks to Mark Teixeira and C.C. Sabathia. Right now I dont see the Sox making big splashes (free agent wise, but ya never know).

Onto another subject the Red Sox have 7 potential free agents: Jason Varitek, Sean Casey, Alex Cora, Bartolo Colon, Paul Byrd, Mike Timlin, Curt Schilling. Even with Boras being tek's agent and his offensive decline, I believe the Sox will still sign him. Of those 7, he is the only player I see returning

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-20-2008, 11:15 AM
Varitek has to be re-signed.

redsoxrules
08-20-2008, 11:50 AM

no he dosent

Dojji
08-20-2008, 11:57 AM

Uhh, no. He can be re-signed inexpensively without driving me nuts, but this team will need to move on from Tek at some point anyway, and that point's looking nowish considering his offensive woes.

Mr Crunchy
08-20-2008, 12:23 PM
if not tek next year then who?
i kept saying we can hide his bat but with manny gone,ortiz having an off year,lowell struggling a bit and ellsbury and crisp not having the years we'd like i see a different offense next year,an offense that will run and sacrifice more and an offense that will need the little things from pretty much the entire roster.how tek fits in with this i dont know but 10M per is not going to happen ,so how do we move on while insulting the team captain? catchers are rarer than women who dont rip your balls from the scrotum when you get home from your honeymoon...we need an upgrade or a legitimate candidate for the future,the farm hasnt produced in this area with the exception of josh bard who was run out of town cause he couldnt catch a knuckleball and even he isnt a full time catcher in sandiego or wasnt last i looked

rician blast
08-20-2008, 02:12 PM
1B
• Kevin Millar
• I would Sign Millar just because of his History with the Sox. He deserves to end his career in a Sox Uniform.

Nah. 37 yrs old and declining.

2B
• Mark Loretta
Loretta can help any team. Can Play any Infield Position. Him and Cora off the bench would be dirty. I would do my best to Trade Lugo for 4th outfielder/ Bullpen/Catcher. He is a Bum.

Still a player with some value, but there are likely options with equal or better talent who are 10 yrs younger than the 37 yr old Loretta.

RF
• Vladimir Guerrero
• Sign Guerrero put him in Right. Trade COCO and Drew . I honestly think we shoudl trade Drew while his stock is up. Like we should have done with Clement. With an Outfield of Bay Guerrero Ellsbury it would be awesome. In the Trades Coco for Bullpen/Catcher Trade Drew for 4th outfielder/Bullpen/Catcher

Intriguing player, no doubt, but every time I watch him play he reminds me of a wounded water buffalo being chased by a lion...all gangly and looking like he'll fall apart at any moment. I have this sinking feeling that Vlad is going to enter an era of injury and decline...just based on what I see of him.

SP
• Ryan Dempster
• Derek Lowe
• CC Sabathia
• Ben Sheets

No to DLowe.
Dempster - team option
Sabathia-me thinks he's in pinstripes next year

Sheets - He's the only guy here I can see as a potential FA acquisition, but like someone said earlier, the plethora of young arms in the Sox organization might preclude the Sox from going after him. That combined with Beckett's looming FA and I think it becomes even less likely.

Santana costs approx $17m per year for 8 years...if Sabathia or Sheets gets a contract that long, I think it'll be less per year than Santana's...but if the best they can do is get a 5 or 6-yr deal, they'll be up in that annual salary range (maybe $17m for Sabathia, $15m for Sheets). And if Beckett commands $13-$14m, it'll be awfully tough to justify that much payroll, even though pitching wins.

Rdsxmbnt
08-20-2008, 02:22 PM
How about Bill Mueller and Lou Merloni

KeepTheFaith1229
08-20-2008, 02:47 PM
Teixeira pl0x. Seriously, we NEED Teixeira, the rest of our offense is getting old and maybe starting to decline, Tex would be a breath of fresh air.

ORS
08-20-2008, 02:51 PM
It won't be that tough to justify the payroll, IMO.

C: I see Tek coming back, but for less money = +3M
1B: Youk's 2nd arb year = -3M
2B: Dustin still @ minimum
SS: Jed @ min
3B: Lowell @ same
RF: JD @ same
CF: JE @ min
LF: Manny - Bay = +11M

BN: Cash @ min replaced by Brown / Kottaras @ min
BN: Lugo @ same, so long Cora = +2M (this is how good you have to be to make $2M?)
BN: Corner IF, maybe Casey, maybe other, let's call it a wash
BN: Coco @ same

SP: Beckett @ same
SP: Lester @ min
SP: Matsuzaka @ same
SP: Wake @ same
SP: ______________ fill in blank, see below

RP: Papelbon's first arb = -3M
RP: Okajima @ club option = -0.5M
RP: MDC @ min
RP: Aardsma @ min

Curt Schilling = +8M

Add up all the +/- and they have $17.5M to reach this year's level, with only a need for "fill in the blank" and another reliever or two. Also, keep in mind that the soft cap (the salary penalty level) moves out to approx $165M this year).

How do we fill in the blank? Internal options will be Masterson, Buchholz, or Bowden. There is a case to start all 3 in AAA, there is a case for each to earn a spot in ST, there is a case to have all start in AAA as depth and bring in a Ben Sheets. Given the money freeing up and the fact that I think all 3 pitchers could use a little more time to develop, I think I chose the latter option.

EDIT: That number may come down some. Lester and Pedroia are likely to qualify as a "Super-Two" and earn arb next year.

TheKilo
08-20-2008, 03:55 PM
What if we traded Bowden for one of the TEX or SF catching prospects?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-20-2008, 07:19 PM
Uhh, no. He can be re-signed inexpensively without driving me nuts, but this team will need to move on from Tek at some point anyway, and that point's looking nowish considering his offensive woes.

I don't care about his bat. What makes him important is the way he handles the pitching staff. He's probably the best in the majors in that category. Yes we will need to move on from the Tek era at some point, but not prematurely for the reason I just stated.

ORS
08-20-2008, 07:20 PM
What if we traded Bowden for one of the TEX or SF catching prospects?
How about Suchholz instead?

BoSox21
08-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Teixeira pl0x. Seriously, we NEED Teixeira, the rest of our offense is getting old and maybe starting to decline, Tex would be a breath of fresh air.

yea, Youkilis, Bay, Pedroia, Ellsbury and Lowrie are really getting on in years...

besides, where the hell do you put Tex anyway?

TheKilo
08-20-2008, 08:45 PM
I don't care about his bat. What makes him important is the way he handles the pitching staff. He's probably the best in the majors in that category. Yes we will need to move on from the Tek era at some point, but not prematurely for the reason I just stated.

How much money are you willing to give Varitek?

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-20-2008, 09:03 PM
What's his current deal (that isn't my answer I just don't know what the $$$ is on his current contract)?

Coco's Disciples
08-20-2008, 09:19 PM
4/40 is what we signed him in 2005 I believe.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-20-2008, 09:32 PM
I'd give him 2 or 3 years at $7 mil a year.

TheKilo
08-20-2008, 09:57 PM
There's no way he takes that unless he signs a discount. Boras is his agent.

I'd take him at 2/14 too, it just won't happen.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-20-2008, 09:58 PM
Forgot about Boras. Damn...

Rdsxmbnt
08-20-2008, 10:09 PM
What's the market for 37 year old catchers hitting .218? Call any Boras bluff, no one is giving him 7 mil.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Because the average is worth far more than the way he handles our pitching staff and his effectiveness behind the plate. Right?

TheKilo
08-20-2008, 10:53 PM
Well, he doesn't throw runners out anymore.

CrespoBlows
08-21-2008, 12:05 AM

I'd go two years, $14 million. Then, go hard after Mauer.

CrespoBlows
08-21-2008, 12:13 AM
Because the average is worth far more than the way he handles our pitching staff and his effectiveness behind the plate. Right?

I don't see it.

Varitek's CERA was dreadfully bad in 2005, and 2006. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/stats?playerId=3760&context=fielding

In 2007, and 2008, it's way down. I wonder why that is.

Dojji
08-21-2008, 10:31 AM
I'd go two years, $14 million. Then, go hard after Mauer.

Yeah, because the Twins are going to let Mauer walk. You know well as I do that if there's a single Minnesota Twin who will be in Minnesota past his arbitration it's Joe Mauer.

I'd go for Bryan Anderson of the Cardinals. Not much power but great OBP skills and a very nice K/BB ratio. St. Louis needs everything right now so I'm pretty sure we could work a deal.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Bryan-Anderson-1.shtml

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-21-2008, 02:44 PM
Hmm was everyone on vacation this time two years ago? When Varitek was lost and the entire pitching staff, no the entire TEAM, was in disarray because Varitek is the leader and captain?

schillingouttheks
08-21-2008, 02:57 PM
The team was in disarray because it was killed by injuries. Not because Tek is the captain.

BoSox21
08-21-2008, 03:03 PM
to give you guys an idea of the injuries at the end of 2006, here's the lineup from the August 28th, 2006 game

C Crisp CF
A Cora SS
M Loretta DH
K Youkilis LF
E Hinske RF
M Lowell 3B
J Lopez C
C Pena 1B
D Pedroia 2B

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-21-2008, 03:55 PM
The team was in disarray because it was killed by injuries. Not because Tek is the captain.

http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=bos&baseballScope=BOS&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&sitSplit=8&venueID=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006&Submit=Submit

All that was because of injuries to 2/3 of our position players? Or was it the lack of Varitek's leadership behind the plate due to injury that forced Mirabelli and Javy Lopez behind the plate to handle our pitchers and call their games to blame for the fact that our pitching was a disgrace in August, 2006? You tell me.

schillingouttheks
08-21-2008, 04:50 PM
http://boston.redsox.mlb.com/stats/historical/player_stats.jsp?c_id=bos&baseballScope=BOS&teamPosCode=all&statType=2&sitSplit=8&venueID=&timeFrame=1&timeSubFrame=2006&Submit=Submit

All that was because of injuries to 2/3 of our position players? Or was it the lack of Varitek's leadership behind the plate due to injury that forced Mirabelli and Javy Lopez behind the plate to handle our pitchers and call their games to blame for the fact that our pitching was a disgrace in August, 2006? You tell me.

I'm of the mindset that most catchers can call a pretty decent game. I don't doubt that Tek is better in that area, but I don't believe that it's enough to justify overpaying for him and his abysmal bat.

I also won't take 2006 Schilling, Beckett, Lester, and Jason Johnson seriously. They all had their own huge issues over that entire season, never mind just August. David Wells seems to have done pretty well, eh? Besides, saying that Jason Johnson sucked because Tek wasn't the catcher is, itself, laughable at best.

Jacoby_Ellsbury
08-21-2008, 05:06 PM
I agree JJ doesn't matter at all. Lose him.

Schilling had a pretty good year in 2006 IIRC. 15-7, 3's ERA, something like that. What was his issue? Beckett didn't have a good year by any means, but it all culminated when Varitek went down. I think you're severely underestimating Varitek's effect on our pitchers. His presence behind the plate is huge for them. It's a comfort thing. BTW yes, Varitek is far ahead of (most of) the rest of baseball in calling games. If it wasn't evident to people during that period in '06, I guess it won't be evident to you guys at all.

schillingouttheks
08-21-2008, 05:11 PM

Schilling had a pretty good year in 2006 IIRC. 15-7, 3's ERA, something like that. What was his issue? Beckett didn't have a good year by any means, but it all culminated when Varitek went down. I think you're severely underestimating Varitek's effect on our pitchers. His presence behind the plate is huge for them. It's a comfort thing. BTW yes, Varitek is far ahead of (most of) the rest of baseball in calling games. If it wasn't evident to people during that period in '06, I guess it won't be evident to you guys at all.

Schilling's problem was that he got tired down the stretch. In '05 he was being used as the team's closer during the middle of the year after destroying his ankle and rehabbing for the sake of 2004. He hadn't been pitching off the mound consistently since 2 years prior, and with his increasing age, I believe arm fatigue was a big deal and explanation for his August performance.

It's not that it isn't evident. I understand that, and agree that he's one of the best at calling a game. My concern is that I think you are using it as a reason to justify keeping Varitek around despite some other huge flaws. He can't hit consistently, his bat speed is slower than a grandmother driving, and he doesn't throw out base runners anymore. I think those outweigh the reasons for him to stick around. That being said, as long as he isn't overpaid, I wouldn't have a problem keeping him around. I also don't think that he needs to be back.

Dojji
08-21-2008, 06:11 PM
to give you guys an idea of the injuries at the end of 2006, here's the lineup from the August 28th, 2006 game

C Crisp CF
A Cora SS
M Loretta DH
K Youkilis LF
E Hinske RF
M Lowell 3B
J Lopez C
C Pena 1B
D Pedroia 2B

And who can forget the sterling rotation of Josh Beckett, Kyle Snyder, Kason Gabbard, Julian Tavarez and Kevin Jarvis?

Dojji
08-21-2008, 06:14 PM

Actually, you wanna know something funny? As a team the 2006 Sox even at their worst were a .500 ballclub or so with Doug Mirabelli catching. The problem there wasn't so much the absence of Tek as it was the presence of the corpse of Javy Lopez (the catcher, not the refreshingly adequate lefty)

Getting .500 ball from your backup catcher is fine, and I really doubt we're going to pick up anyone who has the defensive issues Lopez had, so I don't see the problem. In all likelihood the guy who eventually replaces Tek, the FO is going to be careful doesn't represent that much of a step down from the vaunted staff-handling skills.

CrespoBlows
08-21-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, because the Twins are going to let Mauer walk. You know well as I do that if there's a single Minnesota Twin who will be in Minnesota past his arbitration it's Joe Mauer.

I'd go for Bryan Anderson of the Cardinals. Not much power but great OBP skills and a very nice K/BB ratio. St. Louis needs everything right now so I'm pretty sure we could work a deal.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/A/Bryan-Anderson-1.shtml

Mauer is going to get a massive contract. He'll be the best catcher in baseball, and he'll still be in his prime. Why wouldn't you test the FA market?

I don't think Minnesota pays him the $16-18 million, he'll probably fetch.

CrespoBlows
08-21-2008, 07:33 PM

Correlation does not always equal causation.

das11209
08-21-2008, 07:55 PM

That was 2 years back - why you live in the past? Apart from being bad in all departments in the game - his game calling sucks in 2008. I will not sign him unless it is free.

Let me try to be Varitek. 0-2 count - give me that eye high fastball. Just because I strike out in that pitch - so all MLB hitters also will.

Edit - He gets so much credit that he develops young pitchers. Why not credit him for Buchholz,Hansen, Meridith, Delcarman, DiNardo also? I can go on and on - but game calling is the most overrated skill (obviously it is intangible). Like ML pitchers need a baby-sitter everytime they go on the mound. Give me a catcher with good offensive and defensive skills with good arm - I will take him over any game-caller.

BoSox21
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Varitek calls spots, what the hell is he supposed to do if Delcarmen, Buchholz and Hansen miss their spots by 2 feet?

das11209
08-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Varitek calls spots, what the hell is he supposed to do if Delcarmen, Buchholz and Hansen miss their spots by 2 feet?

My point is he does not contribute positively or negatively to pitchers as advertised.

schillingouttheks
08-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Why should Varitek get credit if the pitchers hit their spots? To me, people give credit to Tek for the pitchers placing the ball where they're supposed to. It's almost like the parents who give their kids an allowance for making their bed or brushing their teeth...

Gom
08-21-2008, 10:26 PM
SOTK...I can't believe you actually posted that.

BoSox21
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Varitek calls pitches and spots. Varitek is known to be pretty damn good at that but in the end, its up to the pitcher to hit that spot

Dojji
08-22-2008, 07:40 AM
Mauer is going to get a massive contract. He'll be the best catcher in baseball, and he'll still be in his prime. Why wouldn't you test the FA market?

I don't think Minnesota pays him the $16-18 million, he'll probably fetch.

But here's the thing -- Minnesota WILL pay top dollar to resign two or three core players at a time. You know that, I know that. Maybe they choose to keep Liriano and Morneau and drop Mauer, but I strongly suspect that they'll throw a ton of money and creative deals in his path to get him to stay in Minnesota.

BoSox21
08-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Morneau is the most underrated player in baseball, Minny will keep him

Dojji
08-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Morneau is the most underrated player in baseball, Minny will keep him

They signed Santana and Hunter both at the same time, I expect them to also keep at least two of this generation. My money is on at least two of Mauer, Morneau and Liriano landing big-money deals.

Paradisecity
08-22-2008, 08:57 AM
I also think two will bolt, with one of them being Liriano.

From the organization's standpoint he's suceptable to injury and not as solid an investment as an all star position player. From a player standpoint he's been treated like SHIT by the organization.

Dojji
08-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I also think two will bolt, with one of them being Liriano.

From the organization's standpoint he's suceptable to injury and not as solid an investment as an all star position player. From a player standpoint he's been treated like SHIT by the organization.

That makes it really easy then. The Twins drop their money on Morneau and Mauer and sign them both to 7 digit salaries until they're on the wrong side of 30.

soxfan17881
08-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Sabathia is getting 20+ mil a yr from someone. I have a feeling that the sox may try and negotiate with Beckett before they set a team precedent for what Beckett should exceed.

I have to agree (as much as it pains me to do so) with jm, here. Whatever you sign CC. for you have to match or more likely exceed when you negotiate with Beckett. So, unless the Sox are prepared to have $90 million teid up in two starters ove the next 4 - 5 years, I think you stay out of serious talk about Sabathia. Maybey sheets, too.

As much as I'd enjoy seeing Millar or Loretta back in Boston, it would only be for sentimental reasons...the novelty of it. If you took the names away and went by career and recent numbers, I don't think picking them up really makes sense.

TheKilo
08-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Varitek calls pitches and spots. Varitek is known to be pretty damn good at that but in the end, its up to the pitcher to hit that spot

So why does Varitek get credit for pitchers being good?

schillingouttheks
08-22-2008, 11:44 PM
So why does Varitek get credit for pitchers being good?

Thank youuuuuuu.

Gom
08-23-2008, 12:29 AM
Varitek is good at calling games, not great.

das11209
08-23-2008, 07:45 AM
Varitek is good at calling games, not great.

Mollina as I have seen him is better than Tek. Veteran Yankee pitchers did not want to work with Posada or I-Rod for now - they wanted to pitch with Mollina. So is Mollina great?

riverside sluggers
08-23-2008, 08:20 AM
And who can forget the sterling rotation of Josh Beckett, Kyle Snyder, Kason Gabbard, Julian Tavarez and Kevin Jarvis?

Mike Timlin became the closer after Jonathan Papelbon went down, Keith Foulke as the 8th inning man

Dojji
08-23-2008, 11:20 AM
Actually Foulke was one of the bright spots. He was absolutely lights out down that hideous stretch. Javier Lopez showed us what he could be as well IIRC. That was the stretch that brought Lopez' ERA down to 2.70 and Bryan Corey and Craig Breslow were also fine out of the pen. The bullpen was literally the least of our problems.

It was also the last time we got anything useful out of Wily Mo Pena. Real pity, how that story ended.

jmcc
08-24-2008, 01:26 PM

I am a big Teixeira fan, he is a solid, solid, solid player. Depending on their playoff performance this year, who knows what is going to be up with the Tex/LAA relationship, so landing him isn't out of the question.

TheKilo
08-24-2008, 01:29 PM
Where would we play Teixeira?

RobZombie
08-26-2008, 10:32 PM
Texiera wants 10 years and $200M. That's a bit much for a guy who is blocked by the two best hitters on the team. I'd look for someone to pay his price tag, (Orioles?).

I am a believer that Tek's game calling ability and leadership is worth something. Its just not worth what he thinks it is.

Call me crazy but is there a reason why the Sox can't just go with Ross, Kotteras and Brown or some combo next year?

TheKilo
08-26-2008, 10:45 PM
Call me crazy but is there a reason why the Sox can't just go with Ross, Kotteras and Brown or some combo next year?

No.

Mr Crunchy
08-27-2008, 08:45 AM
cash has served well,as well as a waiver wire guy can be expected to play

PATS12RULE
08-27-2008, 12:16 PM
bring up zak farkes for catcher

i dont like sheets in any sort of long term deal; the guys just too injury prone. and sabathia will get overpaid by someone, hopefully not the sox. remember how he blew up in the playoffs last year?

3 G, 15.1 IP, 15 ER, 21 H, and 13 BBs

i'm not saying that he's not a good pitcher, but if he were to repeat those numbers in a boston uniform in october he'd be blasted by everyone. and mind you that was in his cy young year

Coco's Disciples
08-27-2008, 01:24 PM
Farkes is 25 years old and in Lancaster. No.

schillingouttheks
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Farkes is 25 years old and in Lancaster. No.

He was kidding. We know him because he played baseball for our high school.

CrespoBlows
08-27-2008, 07:42 PM
bring up zak farkes for catcher

i dont like sheets in any sort of long term deal; the guys just too injury prone. and sabathia will get overpaid by someone, hopefully not the sox. remember how he blew up in the playoffs last year?

3 G, 15.1 IP, 15 ER, 21 H, and 13 BBs

i'm not saying that he's not a good pitcher, but if he were to repeat those numbers in a boston uniform in october he'd be blasted by everyone. and mind you that was in his cy young year

$20 says he doesn't repeat those numbers in a Brewers uniform.

PATS12RULE
08-27-2008, 11:41 PM
I hope he does great; he's fun to watch. But if he does go out and collapse in the playoffs, what can we say for him?

CrespoBlows
08-28-2008, 12:09 AM
I hope he does great; he's fun to watch. But if he does go out and collapse in the playoffs, what can we say for him?

SSS

BoSox21
08-28-2008, 06:54 AM
It was also the last time we got anything useful out of Wily Mo Pena. Real pity, how that story ended.

Depends what we get out of Chris Carter in the future

PATS12RULE
10-02-2008, 06:51 PM
$20 says he doesn't repeat those numbers in a Brewers uniform.

CC's line tonight: 3.2 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 4 BB

hmmm.....

NateGrey
10-03-2008, 12:33 PM
. sheets if the price is right which is doubtful .

1.beckett
2,lester
3.matsuzaka
4.sheets
5.ross perot

jacksonianmarch
10-03-2008, 12:53 PM
CC said he wouldnt revert to being a nibbler and that exactly what he did. Or was he just tired. He's been throwing on 3 days rest for what seems like a month now. Sveum appropriately shot the load to get there and now his horse is tired. He should have moved him to game 3.

jacksonianmarch
10-03-2008, 12:55 PM
. sheets if the price is right which is doubtful .

1.beckett
2,lester
3.matsuzaka
4.sheets
5.ross perot

If only he could stay healthy. I will go on the record as saying I do not want Sheets. And if the yankees signed him, they better have a damn good long reliever in the pen ready to step into the rotation about 5-10 times a yr

BoSox21
10-03-2008, 12:59 PM
I think the Yankees will spend about $300 million this off-season

NateGrey
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
. How about trading Lowell to sign Tex? .

1. Ells
2. Pedroia
3. Ortiz
4. Tex
5. Youk
6. Bay
7. Drew
8. Lowrie
9. Tek?

. Pretty scary .

BigPapiEnFuego
10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
. How about trading Lowell to sign Tex? .

1. Ells
2. Pedroia
3. Ortiz
4. Tex
5. Youk
6. Bay
7. Drew
8. Lowrie
9. Tek?

. Pretty scary .

hmmm... not bad. Not bad at all

BoSox21
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
what are you gonna get for Lowell at his age, with his salary, with that hip?

jacksonianmarch
10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Lowell has a career altering injury that will require reconstructive joint surgery. He's on yr 1 of a 4 yr deal at big salary and just had his worst yr in Boston. For those who said Matsui is untradeable, take a step back and think of this. Lowell is untradeable. The sox dont need Tex. They have a gold glove 1b who is putting up solid #s this yr.

NateGrey
10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
what are you gonna get for Lowell at his age, with his salary, with that hip?

. Depends who's in the market for a 20+hr GG 3B .

jacksonianmarch
10-03-2008, 01:40 PM
He didnt hit 20 homers and he cannot play D with his injury. Thats like saying we should resign Giambi because he can hit .340 and 40 homers.

NateGrey
10-03-2008, 01:46 PM
He didnt hit 20 homers and he cannot play D with his injury. Thats like saying we should resign Giambi because he can hit .340 and 40 homers.

. If St Louis found a way to trade Rolen who the Jays extended, Theo can surely find a way to dump Lowell for a decent prospect or two .

jacksonianmarch
10-03-2008, 01:53 PM
StL found a way to deal Rolen because they took another injury prone 3b with a big contract. It is not like the sox to take on salary and not use it.

kreinbihl34
10-03-2008, 01:59 PM
It's highly doubtful he'll be traded anyways. A healthy Mike Lowell is what we need, after the post season he needs to get the surgery and sit till it heals completely.

TheKilo
10-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Lowell has a career altering injury that will require reconstructive joint surgery. He's on yr 1 of a 4 yr deal at big salary and just had his worst yr in Boston. For those who said Matsui is untradeable, take a step back and think of this. Lowell is untradeable. The sox dont need Tex. They have a gold glove 1b who is putting up solid #s this yr.

3 year deal

BoSox21
10-04-2008, 03:58 PM
Youk's defensive versatility means you can smart with how many innings Lowell plays next season

Dojji
10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
To be fair, Lowrie already allows us to do that, presuming a healthy Lugo. Still, the versatility of a guy like Youks can play a huge role in little pieced here and there. It's easy to underestimate but it definitely adds up.

Coco's Disciples
10-04-2008, 04:58 PM
It is very nice. Youk can play 1B and 3B, Lowrie can play SS and 3B, Lugo can play SS, 2B, 3B and OF. A little insurance for Lowell and friends.